· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-28-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
jakobkraft
Golden Member

Default Best antivirus prog?

I haven?t had need of a virus protector in several years, but recently, after letting someone use my PC for exactly two days, I find that I?m unable to open any .exe file. None of the .exe files are working - I get a message saying WIndows cannot find CProgram files, etc. even though they're there.

I already tried doing a repair using my XP Pro cd but instead, during the reinstallation I got several missing file messages. It allowed me to skip over them but it ended up making the reinstallation totally ineffective.

And when I go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools ->System Restore, I get the same Windows cannot find CWindows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe - it's like whatever file Windows uses to recognize .exe is gone.

The only way I was even able to get online is by going to Start -> Connect To ->Access4Less.
And the only way I'm able to browse is by opening 'My Computer' (the ONLY shortcut that is working) and typing urls in the address bar.

I really don't want to have to do a whole system restore, as getting my programs, games, etc. back to their settings would take me a week, at least...

Is there any way I can download whatever the file is that enables Windows to recognize .exe files?

If not then maybe a really good antivirus that can identify the problem, and possibly solve it?

Any help would be profoundly appreciated, thanks!!
jakobkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
UsandThem
Diamond Member

Software and Programs

My Computer
UsandThem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
gate1975mlm

Avast is at the top of my list!
gate1975mlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
aatf510
Golden Member

I have a bad feeling about this. Even if you can repair the virus (this is definately a virus), your system would slow down significantly. good luck
aatf510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
dphantom
Diamond Member

AVG
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest is the man who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets men better and braver than himself protect him." - John Stuart Mill, 1859
"To lodge all power in one party and keep it there is to insure bad government." - Mark Twain
dphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:16 AM   #6
MrControversial

Norton/Symantec. My company uses Symantec Corporate Edition, but if you can't afford the $2500 a year subscription, pick up Norton.
MrControversial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
Ike0069
Diamond Member

I'd recommend to just suck it up and reformat. It sucks, but somtimes that the just best (or only) answer.
Ike0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #8
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

jakobkraft, I left some suggested plans of attack in your thread in Operating Systems about this, including a link to Kaspersky 30-day trialware. That's what I'd get. For starters, where Norton and McAfee release weekly virus-definition updates, Kaspersky is releasing them as often as once an hour. If your computer's going to be used by anyone else, then it's nice to know that the virus definitions are not more than 1-3 hours out of date, as opposed to possibly 4-6 days out of date.

When I was removing malware from my little sister's computer, Kaspersky ended up finding some Trojan/Downloaders that McAfee's command-line scanner and Norton Antivirus 2005 had both missed. That scored points with me too. She had a fully-armed, up-to-date installation of Norton Antivirus 2005, by the way. It tried its best... Quarantine had more than 4800 items in it :Q

So anyway, set up a second system with the antivirus and antispyware proggies if possible, put your infected hard drive into it as a slave, and run "captive" scans of it in the other system. And please note down the names of the stuff that is found, it helps to known thy enemy
mechBgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
corkyg
Peripherals

What has this thread got to do with hardware? It is better suited to Software or even Operating Systems.

Anyway - anyone who is on line needs some sort of AV protection. Defense in depth is best. My first line of defense is my ISP which uses Postini.com. It filters viruses, trojans, and worms, and blocks them nicely. Then my own system uses Avast. In the past year that Postini has been working, my own AV program has been like the old Maytag repairman - nothing to do!

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is online now   Reply With Quote