· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
nobb

Default Do you always yield to the person on the right in an Uncontrolled Intersection?

When I took my first driving test, I failed the first time. I was driving on a straight main residential road and coming up in front of me to the right was a very tiny small road. But this small road did not have a yield or stop sign, so the intersection between my main road and this little road is considered an uncontrolled intersection. I failed because the instructor did not feel like I slowed down enough to yeild if there were a car on that road.

The book says in an uncontrolled intersection, the person on the left has to yeild to the person on the right. This makes sense, but in real life, no one ever seems to do that. People's instinct (which is also what they usually do) is usually the person on the small road waits until the main road is clear before turning onto it. Most of the times when I am driving on a big main road and stop to yeild to the person on my right in an uncontrolled intersection, they look at me like I am a dumb*ss. Quite frankly, it feels a bit awkward to be holding up traffic on a big main road to yield to a small road and I have never seen anyone do this in real life.

Do you guys always pay attention to whether an intersection is uncontrolled? And do you yield?
nobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
PingSpike
Lifer

Default Do you always yield to the person on the right in an Uncontrolled Intersection?

My instinct would be the same as yours...however, I have never seen the kind of intersection you describe. There's always a sign for some one.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
DougK62
Diamond Member

I've never seen an intersection like that. And I live way out in hillbilly territory.

DougK62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
LTC8K6
Lifer

I have never seen an uncontrolled intersection.

Should I see one, I would report it to the local DOT.

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
nobb

Maybe you guys never see uncontrolled intersections because you never look out for them? Honestly, I dont think anyone (me included) goes by each intersection looking to see if it has a sign or not. Thats just not practical.
nobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
LTC8K6
Lifer

Again, I've never seen this, but this is what my state says.

From the NC handbook:

In intersections without traffic signs or signals, the right-of-way rules state that:

the vehicle already in the intersection has the right?of?way ahead of any car that has not yet entered;

when two or more vehicles reach an intersection at the same time, the car to the right has the right-of-way;

a vehicle with the right-of-way may move straight ahead or, if legal and after signaling, turn right or left; and

even with the right-of-way, be careful to avoid hitting other vehicles and pedestrians.

When two facing vehicles approach an intersection at the same time, the right-of-way rules are not much help. Both drivers can move straight ahead or turn right. If one driver is going straight while the other wants to turn left, the driver who wants to turn must wait. The driver who wants to turn left must give the proper signal and wait until the turn can be made safely. Therefore, in this case, the driver who is traveling straight ahead has the right?of?way. Never change lanes while you are moving straight ahead through an intersection.

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
LTC8K6
Lifer

How can you tell that the smaller intersecting road does not have a stop sign?

Old 02-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
LTC8K6
Lifer

The only time I recall the uncontrolled intersection rules coming into play is when the traffic lights are completely inoperative at an intersection.

Even then, almost no one does the right thing.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
jagec
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
I have never seen an uncontrolled intersection.

Should I see one, I would report it to the local DOT.
You must not drive much. There are piles of them in every single city. Try driving in a residential area sometime.

OP, I generally look to the right and left for traffic. If there's someone coming to the right, I slow down and watch what they do. If they're clearly coming to a stop, it will be faster and easier for everyone if I just go through, instead of stopping and playing the guessing game. If there's someone coming to the left, I also slow and see what they're doing, because they might not give me the right of way.

So I follow the rules for the most part, but I monitor traffic conditions in case other drivers don't.
jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
LTC8K6
Lifer

I drive plenty and I still cannot recall ever seeing an uncontrolled intersection. I have never seen a side street without a stop or yield sign as far as I can remember.

Clearly there are some, or the laws wouldn't be there and the question wouldn't be on the test.

I'm certain I've never run across one.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
KentState
Diamond Member

I drive 15-18k a year and don't recall ever seeing an intersection like this. Maybe this is unique to certain states?
KentState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
bigal40

I've never seen an uncontrolled intersection
bigal40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
Zach
Diamond Member

I think some cities don't have them. My neighborhood has an unmarked intersection and most people don't notice. They just breeze right through. All the other towns I've lived in had signs, unless one was stolen.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:36 AM   #14
HannibalX
Diamond Member

Back in 2004 after a hurricane in FL there were many uncontrolled intersections due to mass power outages and no traffic signals. FL law dictates that in the event of an uncontrolled intersection it should be treated at a 4-way stop (most FL drivers seemed to know nothing about this though). The FL 4-way stop law goes like this. First car to stop gets to go first, unless both or all cars stop at once, then the car with no one to their right gets to go first.
HannibalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:48 AM   #15
alimoalem
Diamond Member

i've never seen an intersection like this, either. the only time i won't see them is at t-intersections, and it's kind of obvious who has right of way in that situation.

HP DV2000T - UC Davis 2010
alimoalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #16
Blackjack200
Diamond Member

There's an uncontrolled intersection in the town next to me (Maplewood, NJ); it's the only one I've ever seen except when I drive way out in the boonies and the roads are empty. That intersection is a real irritation because the visibility is bad enough that you have to almost come to a complete stop to make sure there's no-one coming the other way. Essentially, it would be better if there was a stop sign one way or the other so at least 1 direction wouldn't have to slow down so much.
Blackjack200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
zixxer
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Zach
I think some cities don't have them. My neighborhood has an unmarked intersection and most people don't notice. They just breeze right through. All the other towns I've lived in had signs, unless one was stolen.
If an unmarked intersection had a sign wouldn't it just be a regular intersection?
zixxer is offline   Reply With Quote