· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-12-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
FortFunFoSho
Golden Member

Default Running extremely hot water all over poison ivy = best feeling... well almost..

Seriously scalding hot water on Poison Ivy is a similar feeling to pure euphoria. I think I am addicted to it. I just got out of the shower and am already looking forward to the next...
FortFunFoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:58 PM   #2

Default Running extremely hot water all over poison ivy = best feeling... well almost..

Its funny that you say that, true story here:
I got it on my hands and scratched... uhh... myself... and then scratched more. When i got into a REALLY hot tub, OMFGWTF it was better than feeding the geese. No BS hands down feels insane. End of story.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
jtusa
Diamond Member

If you have have poison ivy/oak a hair dryer is your best friend. If it's a good hair dryer it's better than a hot shower.
jtusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:05 PM   #4
FortFunFoSho
Golden Member

woah man... looking forward top the next time I get it... not really.. but still the dryer will provide many a ivy o faces...
Old 09-12-2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Ronstang
Lifer

The amazing thing is that after you get out of the hot water the itching is gone for quite some time giving you the opportunity to get some sleep.

A little tip:

If you have poison ivy/oak on your arms cut the toes out of some long tube socks and wear them on your arm while you sleep. This keeps you from scratcing and it also protects you from spreading the rash to your face and other body parts. Wash them along with the sheets every morning until the rash starts to dry up.
1966 Shelby G.T.350H #1781
1966 Mustang Fastback restomod project
1966 Mustang Coupe restomod project (this one will get over 30 mpg!!)

I'm a car guy, a computer is a tool not a pastime!
Ronstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #6
HoodRich
Banned

u shold stay drunk da hole tyme u got dam ivy on ur skin
HoodRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:08 PM   #7
AU Tiger
Diamond Member

Be sure to wash all clothing you were wearing when you picked up the poison ivy or else you may get a return visit next time you wear the clothing. The oils from the plant have to be washed out.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:08 PM   #8
FortFunFoSho
Golden Member

Fyi.. according to eh.. the majority of what I have read from various poison ivy aficianado websites.. you cannot spread the rash from scratching unless traces of the original urishnol (spelling) oil are still there. So if you have had the rash for more than lets say 2 days and you scratch it.. most likely you will not spread it.. However the first couple days are the .... faux-contagiouis period....
Old 09-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #9
Evadman
Administrator Emeritus
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: HoodRich
WTF is wrong with you. You are posting crap all over the place. Are you like 7 years old?
Evadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #10
jtusa
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FortFunFoSho
Fyi.. according to eh.. the majority of what I have read from various poison ivy aficianado websites.. you cannot spread the rash from scratching unless traces of the original urishnol (spelling) oil are still there. So if you have had the rash for more than lets say 2 days and you scratch it.. most likely you will not spread it.. However the first couple days are the .... faux-contagiouis period....
A doctor told me the same thing.
jtusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #11
MikeMike
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ronstang
The amazing thing is that after you get out of the hot water the itching is gone for quite some time giving you the opportunity to get some sleep.

A little tip:

If you have poison ivy/oak on your arms cut the toes out of some long tube socks and wear them on your arm while you sleep. This keeps you from scratcing and it also protects you from spreading the rash to your face and other body parts. Wash them along with the sheets every morning until the rash starts to dry up.
little hint, poison ivy is not possible to spread, it will only pop up where the oil was in contact with your skin, you can scratch all you want and it can puss all it wants but it will not spread.

trust me, ive had poison ivy so many times and gone to the doctors a few times for steriods for it that they have all told me the same thing.

MIKE
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #12
AU Tiger
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FortFunFoSho
Doctors have always told me the same about scratching. Rashes usually only form where the oils have touched the skin. I have also heard that the rash can spread through your bloodstream if you are very contagious.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:12 PM   #13
SaigonK
Diamond Member

Something i read about the hot water thing, apparently NOT good for it.

Blisters and itching will improve with moist compresses. Make a batch of "Burows solution" by putting 1 or 2 "Dome-Boro" tablets in a pint of water (available from a pharmacist). Apply this to the blistering areas for 20 minutes two or three times daily. Follow the compresses with the prescribed cream if any. Very hot water stops the itch, but is not good for the skin or the rash.

When the swelling has gone down, stop the compresses and apply only the cream. Cream applied before the blisters and swelling go down are not effective alone. One may bathe or shower as usual, but avoid hot water.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:33 PM   #14
everman
Lifer

Quote:
poison ivy aficianado websites..
What do you mean by afficionado? They like it?...
everman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:35 PM   #15
TitanDiddly
Lifer

Reminds me of those 'salad fingers' anims.
TitanDiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:20 PM   #16
Ronstang
Lifer

Maybe poison ivy does not spread....but poison oak does, at least on me so I have to take precautions. It probably has something to do with the level of allergy.
1966 Shelby G.T.350H #1781
1966 Mustang Fastback restomod project
1966 Mustang Coupe restomod project (this one will get over 30 mpg!!)

I'm a car guy, a computer is a tool not a pastime!
Ronstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:22 PM   #17
HoodRich
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evadman
Quote:
WTF is wrong with you. You are posting crap all over the place. Are you like 7 years old?
nuffin is rong wit me whut is rong witchu

HoodRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:40 PM   #18
Slogun
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Evadman
Quote:
nuffin is rong wit me whut is rong witchu
I'm onto this guy, saw him in another forum...he's using a black avatar and purposely acting stupid. It's a bigotry thing.
I vote for a ban.
My Rig Collection
Heat
To each his own
Slogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 01:13 AM   #19
Ameesh
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Phocas
I got it on my hands and scratched... uhh... myself... and then scratched more. When i got into a REALLY hot tub, OMFGWTF it was better than feeding the geese. No BS hands down feels insane. End of story.
i wanna get poison ivy now!
Old 09-13-2004, 01:29 AM   #20
nycxandy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Quote:
Originally posted by: Phocas
i wanna get poison ivy now!