· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-01-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
BigToque
Lifer

Default I need to write a letter to my girlfriends parents... *update in 1st post*

I'm not really on great terms with her parents at the moment. When my girlfriend was moving out, they were telling her that I'm a bad influence on her and because of me, her life is going downhill and they banned me from their house. This had been going on for a while, so after I was "banned" from her house I just said fsck it. I don't need to put up with their garbage. If they come to their senses, they can apologize and I'll think about hanging around again.

Anyway, I am going to visit my girlfriend in India and I am not going to be telling them in person. I have no desire to see them, so I'm just writing a letter.

The first thing that will happen is they will disown their daughter and accuse her of using her uncle (who offered to pay for the trip - after she had already decided to go) to pay for a free vacation for me and her. It's stupid, but that's what will happen. Next, they will reject me, saying I'm some awful sinning person and I'm not good enough their daughter (because I'm not catholic), etc...

So anyway, I need to write a letter telling them the situation, but it has to be more than just "I'm going to India"...

What do I say? I have not been able to think of anything in the last 2 weeks and I leave in 8 days!

***Update***

Letter: 1st draft.

Quote:
Dear Mr. And Mrs. X,

I know that things between us have not been great lately and I cannot say that I fully understand how or why things have progressed to the point that it has. It is very disappointing to me because I very much want to get to know, be friends with, and be part of your family. I feel that during the year and a half that I have known Jessica I have tried to be kind and respectful of your family. If there is anything that I have done in the past that has offended you, I apologize. It has never been my intention to offend or be disrespectful to anyone.

I have some news that may (or may not) come as a surprise to you, but I felt that it would be best if I were the person you heard this information from. Long before Jessica?s trip was booked and up to the day she left for India, she told me that she wished I could come with her. At the time my answer was always ?No. It?s too expensive and I can?t miss school?. After Jessica left, I did some looking around and discovered that I could add a flight to India to my existing ticket to Singapore in December for an extra $100.06. When I learned this, I jumped at the opportunity and made the addition to my ticket. I will be leaving Winnipeg on September 9 and arriving in Calcutta on Sept. 11. I would like you to be fully aware that Jessica had no knowledge of my plans until they had already been finalized.

I?m sure you want to know why I?m going and what my intentions are? When I look at Jessica I see the most amazing person I have ever known. She is intelligent, hard working, honest, caring and very beautiful. I can talk to Jessica for hours on any political, moral, scientific or religious topic. I can seek her advice and even when I don?t come to her, she always finds a way to positively affect just about every aspect of my life. I have learned so much from Jessica and I know that I will learn so much more. Jessica is my best friend and being apart from her breaks my heart. Knowing that she is alone in such an awful part of the world worries me every day. I think one very positive thing in my going is that I can help keep Jessica safe. If anything ever happened to her when I wasn?t around, I don?t know if I could forgive myself because I should have been there to protect her. While my main reason for making this trip is so that Jessica and I can be together, I also understand the purpose of Jessica?s trip. I do not intend to interfere or interrupt any part of her reason for being there. I will be helping Jessica and I?ve also been told that I will have an opportunity to teach children English and Math (they are not allowed into school without a basic understanding of these things).

I have always tried to look out for the best interests of Jessica. I encourage her to do the things she seeks to do and try to help her find answers to any problems or questions she may have. I have always been respectful of her and her beliefs and morals just as I know she is respectful of your beliefs and morals. I hope that you can trust me when I say that this trip is not meant to show any disrespect to you or your family, but rather an opportunity for me to experience something that I know few people get to experience. I am ecstatic that I have an opportunity to experience this with my best friend.

I understand that this trip is something that you will not approve of and even though I wish you would be supportive of it, I hope that you can at the very least understand why I am making this trip.

Sincerely,

Stefan
Old 09-01-2004, 05:41 PM   #2
Drakkon
Diamond Member

Default I need to write a letter to my girlfriends parents...

ummmmmm i dont get why u have to tell them anything since your already on bad terms with them? i mean they're not your parents so should be up to the gf to say anything...
Old 09-01-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
Anubis
No Lifer

why tell them at all?
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
brunswickite
Diamond Member

Dear gf's rents

I am going to india to bang your daughter.

-stefan
brunswickite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:44 PM   #5
Heisenberg
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: brunswickite
Dear gf's rents

-stefan
Perfect.
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
Xionide
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dear gf's rents

-stefan
I see no errors here.

-Xionide
Old 09-01-2004, 05:46 PM   #7
Beau
Lifer

Quote:
Dear gf's rents

-stefan
P.S.: Go to hell.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #8
BigToque
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Anubis
why tell them at all?
I believe there may be a greater chance of this not ending up with her whole family disowning her if I say something then if she does. They don't listen to her anyway. I also feel a letter is more appropriate because they can hear everything I have to say. If I told them in person it could turn into a heated arguement and I might say things I dont want to.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #9
ddwbi0

you're just going to make your gf's life even worse when she gets back home
ddwbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:49 PM   #10
BigToque
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddwbi0
Are you saying that I'm going to india with the intention of making my gf's life worse for her when she gets back? If so, you are incorrect in your assumption.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #11
farmercal
Golden Member

I too vote not to let them know at all. Your trip is between your girl and you. Did her parents tell her that they needed to be notified every time she had visitors?
farmercal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:53 PM   #12
Drakkon
Diamond Member

ur whipped already...and its the worse kinda whipped...by the inlaws...
thats pretty bad...grow a pair and learn not to care
Old 09-01-2004, 05:53 PM   #13
BigToque
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: farmercal
I too vote not to let them know at all. Your trip is between your girl and you. Did her parents tell her that they needed to be notified every time she had visitors?
I'm not going to have a trip like this be a secret. I don't even think you could cause they'd want to see pictures and you can't exactly cut me out of the pics
Old 09-01-2004, 05:55 PM   #14
brunswickite
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dear gf's rents

-stefan

p.s. Dont worry about birth control, she is on the pill.

edited, this will at least make them rest easier.

brunswickite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:55 PM   #15
BigToque
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drakkon
ur whipped already...and its the worse kinda whipped...by the inlaws...
thats pretty bad...grow a pair and learn not to care
Whipped by her parents? lol... I don't give a sh!t about the fools. I care about my girlfriend and if I can help her not get disowned by her parents (and whole family), I can at least try. If they don't accept my letter, then I have nothing to feel bad about because I made an effort to make things work.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:56 PM   #16
AreaCode707
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Stefan
Quote:
Are you saying that I'm going to india with the intention of making my gf's life worse for her when she gets back? If so, you are incorrect in your assumption.
Sentence can be read two ways. "Your girlfriend's life is going to be made even worse because you are going" and "you are deliberatelygoing in order to make your gf's life worse." I sincerely doubt the author meant the second version.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #17
pulse8
Lifer

You sound like a drama queen.

I also vote for not saying anything. It serves no purpose but to make the situation (and possible your trip) worse.
pulse8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #18
BigToque
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: HotChic
Quote:
Quote:
Sentence can be read two ways. "Your girlfriend's life is going to be made even worse because you are going" and "you are deliberatelygoing in order to make your gf's life worse." I sincerely doubt the author meant the second version.
I didn't feel like typing responses to both, so I took one and ran with it
Old 09-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #19
sixone
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
why tell them at all?
I believe there may be a greater chance of this not ending up with her whole family disowning her if I say something then if she does. They don't listen to her anyway. I also feel a letter is more appropriate because they can hear everything I have to say. If I told them in person it could turn into a heated arguement and I might say things I dont want to.
What else are you planning to say in this letter? Is this the chance to tell them what sucky parents they are, and that they can't keep you apart? That would be a very bad idea.

Don't get between your g/f and her parents. Let her handle them the way she thinks is best. Unless you think she's as dumb/useless as they do (according to you)?
sixone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:00 PM   #20
anxi80
Lifer

i wouldnt tell them jack squat! now if you dont mind, im going over to my girls place, but first i got to ask my mommy for permission.

i kid, i kid.
anxi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:02 PM   #21
BigToque
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: pulse8
You sound like a drama queen.

I also vote for not saying anything. It serves no purpose but to make the situation (and possible your trip) worse.
I can't say I've even been called a drama queen before (I don't see how it applies)... and I think it could make the situation better (no improvement if it doesn't work). I'm not hiding the trip from anyone.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:02 PM   #22
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Pics of GF? We need to know if she's worth the hassle. :laugh:
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:04 PM   #23
UglyCasanova
Lifer

Have you asked your gf about it?
UglyCasanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:04 PM   #24
biostud
Lifer

Tell them you need to go and visit your family manson (Taj Mahal)..........................
Camera: Nikon D5100 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 + Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 + 85mm f/1.8G | Nissin Di600 | Phone: Lumia 920
biostud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:04 PM   #25
BigToque
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: sixone
Quote:
Quote:
why tell them at all?
What else are you planning to say in this letter? Is this the chance to tell them what sucky parents they are, and that they can't keep you apart? That would be a very bad idea.

Don't get between your g/f and her parents. Let her handle them the way she thinks is best. Unless you think she's as dumb/useless as they do (according to you)?
I want to tell them that I'm going to India to be with their daughter who I love more than anything else and to say that I have not been a negative influence on her life and that I wish the situation between me and her family didn't have to be like this.

I just don't know how to say it...