· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-30-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
Jeff7
Lifer

Default Lawn mower mods - possible to convert a regular mower into a mulching mower?

I notice that the main difference with push mowers (mulching vs regular) is that the mulching mowers lack an exit chute for the clippings, thus confining them for further slicing and mauling.

My riding mower has a chute out the back, which leaves big clumps of clippings all over the lawn. I don't want to use a bag or sweeper, not only since there's no means to attach one, but also because the lawn then would lose the nutrients from the decaying clippings, and require fertilizer. So I'm pondering converting the mower. What I envision:
Welding a sheet of metal to the gap in the mowing deck, where the clippings would normally exit. This should contain the clippings and allow them to be more finely chopped.
Is this a horribly bad idea that will surely result in the destruction of the neighborhood? Or might it actually work?

"Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil."
Jeff7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
SilentRavens

Default Lawn mower mods - possible to convert a regular mower into a mulching mower?

Are you using mulching blades in the mower?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:49 PM   #3
Sundog
Lifer

You can get a different blade and also if you are getting clumps on the ground you are waiting until the grass is too high or the grass is very wet.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
Beau
Lifer

If it's a riding mower, it probably has ample power to push through it, just find something like this to replace your blades with.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:11 PM   #5
Jeff7
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Sundog
You can get a different blade and also if you are getting clumps on the ground you are waiting until the grass is too high or the grass is very wet.
I don't feel like mowing every 4 days.
Our lawn too is more weeds than grass, so it grows quickly. And the fact that we've been getting a lot of rain here doesn't help. But this has been a problem other years as well.

So the mulching blades - I don't know much about them; should they do an adequate job of slicing everything before it's ejected out the back?

"Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil."
Old 08-30-2004, 06:18 PM   #6
Eli
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Quote:
Originally posted by: Sundog
I don't feel like mowing every 4 days.
Our lawn too is more weeds than grass, so it grows quickly. And the fact that we've been getting a lot of rain here doesn't help. But this has been a problem other years as well.

So the mulching blades - I don't know much about them; should they do an adequate job of slicing everything before it's ejected out the back?
That's all that you need to do is replace the blade. It is the blade that does it.

It is still going to eject the grass if there is an exit schute, though. It will just be smaller particles.

2001 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #163P - 158,388 miles and counting as of 7/2011
Best Trip - 82.0MPG over 1200 miles
2001 Honda Insight 5MT - 450,000 miles and counting as of 2/2012 (Fiancee's)
Best Trip - 92.4MPG over 400 miles
2000 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #173P, BCM Gauge, OBDIIC&C Gauge, Upgraded 8Ah battery - 227,248 miles and counting as of 10/2011
Best Trip - 83.1mpg over 458mi
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:20 PM   #7
bleeb
Lifer

Dude, just cut the grass more often and that will be effective enough.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:21 PM   #8
fredtam
Banned

My mower is set up for both. If you use the mulching blades you should cover the chute. I wouldn't weld it. I'd just make a bolt on cover.
fredtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:29 PM   #9
PTCvette
Banned

I don't know about yours, but my mower is set up to do both... It has a flap on the side, and the chute in the back. If you wanna bag, the flap on the side is spring loaded, so it just bags normally. When you want to mulch there's a big plastic thing that jams the chute in back, and a bit that holds the flap open on the side. I haven't ever tried mulching, so I can only assume that it works ok. Seems like you could just jam up the chute in back with something and then have at it with some mulching blades

Jeff
PTCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:30 PM   #10
Jeff7
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: bleeb
Dude, just cut the grass more often and that will be effective enough.
I'm afraid I'm not one of those people who mows obsessively. I try to mow a bit before the grass begins to grow enough to form conscious thought, or at least close to that. It usually is mowed on 2 week intervals, sometimes a bit sooner. It's a fairly big, uneven yard, with trees growing around it. Mowing is usually an unpleasant 3-4 hour job. I'm just hoping to make it a little less unpleasant.
And I want an excuse to try welding something.

I'll look for mulching blades though; if they don't work, I might need to get myself a propane torch.

Or the bolt-on solution would also be an idea. Much easier to do too.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:46 PM   #11
Ornery
Lifer

Pics of modded mowers...
Old 08-31-2004, 04:00 PM   #12
PTCvette
Banned

LMAO @ Ornery... Those are awesome!
PTCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:23 PM   #13
silverpig
Lifer

Fertilizer will help get rid of the weeds anyways.
silverpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:29 PM   #14
silverpig
Lifer

Oh, and you can just double cut everything to knock all of the clippings down. And don't do it when it's wet.
silverpig is offline   Reply With Quote