· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
lokiju
Lifer

Default How could I get my home alarm code reset?

The wife and I bought a home a few months ago and want to now start using the alarm system while we're away durning the days.

Only problem is that this house was a foreclosure so we can simply just asked the previous owners what it was so we can change it.

I tried calling the company that is listed on the main junction box in my master bedroom closet and the phone number is disconnected.

Can just any alarm system company come out and reset the code for me?

I'm not interested in hooking it up to the phone system though, since I don't have a home phone.
PSN: l0k1ju
Come play some MW3! Just note ATOT in invite so I don't ignore.
lokiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Captante
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: lokiju
The wife and I bought a home a few months ago and want to now start using the alarm system while we're away durning the days.

Only problem is that this house was a foreclosure so we can simply just asked the previous owners what it was so we can change it.

I tried calling the company that is listed on the main junction box in my master bedroom closet and the phone number is disconnected.

Can just any alarm system company come out and reset the code for me?

I'm not interested in hooking it up to the phone system though, since I don't have a home phone.

You should be able to get it serviced by any alarm company that offers service in your area & you may be able to reset the codes yourself if you are relatively handy with electronics ... try to find service information by using the model number of the system & Google.

—Albert Einstein
Captante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
meltdown75
Lifer

just a side question here.

since you don't have it hooked up to a land phone line, does the system still contact the authorities, ie. police, fire, etc. in the event of an alarm? just wondering how that works.

i also wondered if anyone knew... does snipping the phone line essentially render those types of alarms obsolete except for the noise they make?

edit: oh and OP i would definitely think you need someone at the house to change the code but the operators i speak with definitely seem to have some level of remote control over the alarm, so perhaps they would be able to change it remotely.

speaking of remotes... the remote for our house alarm is a tiny little thing that looks like a car remote... and they want $80 frickin bucks for an extra one. ugh
Old 01-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
lokiju
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: meltdown75

since you don't have it hooked up to a land phone line, does the system still contact the authorities, ie. police, fire, etc. in the event of an alarm? just wondering how that works.

i also wondered if anyone knew... does snipping the phone line essentially render those types of alarms obsolete except for the noise they make?

edit: oh and OP i would definitely think you need someone at the house to change the code but the operators i speak with definitely seem to have some level of remote control over the alarm, so perhaps they would be able to change it remotely.

speaking of remotes... the remote for our house alarm is a tiny little thing that looks like a car remote... and they want $80 frickin bucks for an extra one. ugh
It wouldn't have the ability to call the police.

I don't even have my phone lines connected in my home at all.

I yanked them all out of the punch block when I was doing some work on my Ethernet runs and never punched them back down since I have no use at this time for them.
PSN: l0k1ju
Come play some MW3! Just note ATOT in invite so I don't ignore.
lokiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Captante
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: meltdown75

Some alarm systems have a radio/cell phone link with battery backup that is not only capable of contacting the monitering service without a land-line phone connected, but will actually sound an alarm if the phone line & in some cases the electricity is cut off for more then a minute or two.

Also while I'm not 100% sure, my guess is that the alarm code cannot be reset remotely due the the serious security risk this would represent ... I suspect either you'll need to pay for a service call or figure out how to do it yourself.

(note that you will almost certainly need to replace the backup battery before any system changes are made)

—Albert Einstein
Captante is offline   Reply With Quote