· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #1
Hubris
Platinum Member

Default Printer doesn't print, but the paper runs through it

I have an HP LaserJet 1012, and I never had a problem with it before I moved into my apartment.

It now shows up in Windows and everything, seems to be working from a mechanical standpoint. However, whenever I print a page (test page, Notepad, Word, anything) the paper will run through the printer and act like it's printing, but nothing is put onto it.

I don't think the toner's low, cause it was fine the last time I used it before moving, and I would think it would at least get a little lighter before just not printing at all. I took the drum out and shook it, and it still seems pretty full.

It's connected via USB (I think it's on one of the 2.0 ports on my mobo).

Anyone have any ideas what the heck's going on?

Thanks,
Hubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 02:01 AM   #2
cubanx

Default RE: Printer doesn't print, but the paper runs through it

Can you self print a demo page by pressing the "GO" button(I think).
If the Demo page prints blank it's something with the printer.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #3
larciel
Diamond Member

seems like mechanical prob. eh?
Old 07-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
wseyller

Default Printer doesn't print, but the paper runs through it

I would say some kind of configuration with driver software. One possibility is that the light from the laser/scanner assembly isn't reaching the drum. The scanner assembly is in the top of the printer and has a window that uses a beam to drum mirror to aim the light to the drum. There is also an opening in the cartridge call the laser port. That's how the light gets inside the cartridge to the drum. Make sure no objects are blocking that path. Also make sure that the drum shutter door on the cartridge opens up when the cartridge is install. The shutter door has an arm that causes it to open when inserted in the printer. If this door is closed the negatively charged toner will not electrostatically attract itself to the positively charged paper underneath that is charged by the transfer roller. One way to check if shutter door does not open is to stop the printer in mid cycle at the point when toner should transfer to the paper. This is tricky and could take practice to be able to stop it at a certain time. Stop it by opening the door or power off the printer. Remember to remove the paper from the paper path to prevent paper jam error. If you do this half stop test take the cartridge out and look at the drum to see if toner has transferred to the drum. If you see toner on the drum then something is blocking it from reaching the paper like the shutter door. Transfer roller could cause this problem if it wasn't charging the paper correctly but even then it should transfer at least somewhat and transfer rollers typically last forever unless abused. If you see no toner then either no such data was sent to the printer indicating either bad parallel cable, formatter/interface board. Or problem is DC controller, DC power supply, scanner assembly, toner cartridge, wrong driver installed or improperly configured or other software, OS, computer hardware problem.

Does the self test/demo page work OK. If it does then I say its some communication problem between the printer or computer or just a computer problem altogether. Rarely are the printers at fault in these situations.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:58 AM   #5
wseyller

Also if you were to print multiple pages like 5 or 10 pages do you get 5 or 10 blank pages, or just 1 blank page. That might indicated a problem on the computer end.