· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-11-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
SagaLore
Elite Member

Default 10w30, 10w40, 20w50, 5w30 - what is the difference?

What do all the different oil weights do, what is good for what? I'm assuming that 10w40 is heavier than 10w30. Right now I have 30 in my car, but the rings are wearing out and I'm losing performance and fuel efficiency - if I put 40 in, can I gain some of that back?
SagaLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:02 AM   #2
Aharami
Lifer

Default RE: 10w30, 10w40, 20w50, 5w30 - what is the difference?

and whats a 0w40?
Aharami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:13 AM   #3
Analog
Lifer

There should be a lot of links on this out there. Be careful with heavier oil, as it can affect engine wear at start-up and may be affected by the temperatures you're driving in.

"WANTED - Schroedinger's cat. Dead and alive."
五行
http://eriemine.com
Analog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
Analog
Lifer

dbl post.

"WANTED - Schroedinger's cat. Dead and alive."
五行
http://eriemine.com
Analog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:15 AM   #5

The first number is its cold start viscosity. The higher the number, the thicker the oil. In really cold climates, 0w-something is good since it's easier to get oil flowing during cold starts. But for most climates 5w-something is just fine.

The second number is the oil's viscosity when it's heated up. For most cars, something-w30 is fine, since it provides adequate protection in most situations.

A good guideline to go by is what's on your car's oil cap says. Mine says 5w30, so that's what I use.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #6
SagaLore
Elite Member

Default RE:10w30, 10w40, 20w50, 5w30 - what is the difference?

good information on engine oil

W = winter.

So if I'm having a problem with cold starts, but I'm losing compression because my seals are worn out, and I drive long distances at a time - I guess 5w40 would be good for my car?
Old 03-13-2004, 12:04 PM   #7
Ameesh
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: jumpr
The first number is its cold start viscosity. The higher the number, the thicker the oil. In really cold climates, 0w-something is good since it's easier to get oil flowing during cold starts. But for most climates 5w-something is just fine.

The second number is the oil's viscosity when it's heated up. For most cars, something-w30 is fine, since it provides adequate protection in most situations.

A good guideline to go by is what's on your car's oil cap says. Mine says 5w30, so that's what I use.
thanks! ive always wondered what those numbers were for, the oil change place puts 5w20 in my suv
Old 03-13-2004, 12:10 PM   #8
OS
Lifer

Quote:

thats what they say but it's kind of counterintuitive that oil gets thicker as it gets hotter.

Old 03-13-2004, 12:15 PM   #9
SagaLore
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: OS
Quote:

thats what they say but it's kind of counterintuitive that oil gets thicker as it gets hotter.
Right, the oil gets thinner. I think oil is actually a combination of two different oils, the 10W is the viscosity of the first oil at cold temp, and the 40 is the viscosity of the 2nd oil while it's hot.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:23 PM   #10
etech
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: SagaLore
good information on engine oil

W = winter.

So if I'm having a problem with cold starts, but I'm losing compression because my seals are worn out, and I drive long distances at a time - I guess 5w40 would be good for my car?

No, a band-aid is not the right approach. Fix the seals.
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:40 PM   #11
mugs
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Quote:

thanks! ive always wondered what those numbers were for, the oil change place puts 5w20 in my suv
Do you own a late model Ford or Honda? I hate that they use 5W-20, it's hard to find synthetic 5W-20 around here.

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:46 PM   #12
mugs
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Quote:
Originally posted by: OS
Quote:

Right, the oil gets thinner. I think oil is actually a combination of two different oils, the 10W is the viscosity of the first oil at cold temp, and the 40 is the viscosity of the 2nd oil while it's hot.
It's actually just one kind of oil with polymers or something like that. It doesn't get "thicker" when it gets hot, it has the viscosity that the thicker oil (40 weight) WOULD have at that temperature, as opposed to the viscosity that a 10 weight oil would have at high temperatures.

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:56 PM   #13
Marlin1975
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: mugs
Quote:
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Quote:

Do you own a late model Ford or Honda? I hate that they use 5W-20, it's hard to find synthetic 5W-20 around here.

Don't use 5W20 it is aq gimmick that Honda and ford came up with to save money on fees the goverment charges for gas milage per car.

Use Mobil1 5W30 or 10W30 year round and you will be ok
Quote:
Originally posted by: spidey07
No muslims, no athiests, no gays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
I'm proud to be a racist now. VERY proud.
Marlin1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:57 PM   #14
Evadman
Administrator Emeritus
Elite Member

Oils of today are called "multi-viscosity". A 10w-30 oil has the flow characteristics of a 10 weight when cold (so lube can be rushed to where it needs to go) but a 30 weight when at operating tempeature.

Oil DOES NOT get thicker as it warms up. It gets thinner. The viscosity diferential is less from hot to cold with a 10w-30 then with a straight 30 weight. It still gets thinner.
Evadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 01:01 PM   #15
KGB1
Platinum Member

It is rather odd, GM recommends to use 5w30 on my 01 Astro (4.3L V6), while my dad's old 95 bonneville used 10w30(3.8L v6)

I guess it depends also on how new the engine is, I thought it was based on engine size (cc) in the past, but i see now it has nothing to do with it anymore.
KGB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 01:25 PM   #16
moonshinemadness
Platinum Member

My car has always been run on tractor oil (No idea what viscosity) because i get it free, could this be harming the engine?
moonshinemadness is offline   Reply With Quote