· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
BlahBlahYouToo
Lifer

Default how bad is clutch chatter?

every once in awhile, i won't rev high enough to get the car going smoothly, but not low enough to stall.

is it as bad as, say, over revving (2500).
Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
jagec
Lifer

It's better for your clutch than revving super high and slooowwly letting it out, that's for sure. Still, try giving it a bit more gas and letting the clutch out a bit more slowly.
jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
cardiac
Golden Member

If it doesn't happen too often, I wouldn't worry about it. Still, you should be able to take off smoothly without even touching the throttle. I have taught numerous people how to drive a manual trans over the last 30 years or so, and I always have them practice this in a parking lot. Let the clutch out slowly and smoothly at an idle and you will get rolling with no chatter or stalling.....

Bob
Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
overst33r
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: cardiac
If it doesn't happen too often, I wouldn't worry about it. Still, you should be able to take off smoothly without even touching the throttle. I have taught numerous people how to drive a manual trans over the last 30 years or so, and I always have them practice this in a parking lot. Let the clutch out slowly and smoothly at an idle and you will get rolling with no chatter or stalling.....

Bob
I use the same technique with people I teach, but I remind them that that won't really work in traffic... It's just a better way to get a feel for the friction point. Also, unless the ground is even, there will be plenty of chatter on a car with no torque.
Past | Present | Future
overst33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Demon-Xanth
Lifer

Clutches are hard to replace, tires are easy. Just light them up every time you take off by dumping the clutch at full throttle.

*disclaimer* Don't do this when a cop is behind you, for some reason they don't care about the longevity of your car's mechanical parts.
Demon-Xanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
Zenmervolt
Supermoderator
The Garage
Elite member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
Clutches are hard to replace, tires are easy. Just light them up every time you take off by dumping the clutch at full throttle.

*disclaimer* Don't do this when a cop is behind you, for some reason they don't care about the longevity of your car's mechanical parts.
Clutches are still easier to replace than transmission/transaxle components.

ZV

TANSTAAFL
Zenmervolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Jahee
Platinum Member

What is clutch chatter?
Jahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Vic
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jahee
What is clutch chatter?
It's a harsh vibration, usually resulting in "wheel hop," when disengaging the clutch while starting off in 1st gear from a stop. What is happening is that the clutch disc is grabbing and slipping several times each second at the engagement point. It is annoying as all hell, but usually only happens when the engine is cold.
My wife's car has an aftermarket Exedy racing clutch, and will occasionally chatter when cold, and the best way I found to avoid it is get the clutch out as quick as possible, either with or without a lot of throttle/rpm.

Capitalism is a liberal philosophy.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
Demon-Xanth
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Quote:

ZV
Well, that depends on the car. With mine replacing the transmission is actually faster and easier than the clutch (since I need to drop the trans to get to the clutch). But tires go up long before the transmission goes. Though at $250 or so for a Luk clutch kit, $300 for a pair of BFG Radial T/A tires, and $1000 for an NV3500, the clutch is the cheapest. And you need new batteries for your sarcasm detector.
Demon-Xanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Jahee
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Vic
Quote:
Originally posted by: Jahee
What is clutch chatter?
It's a harsh vibration, usually resulting in "wheel hop," when disengaging the clutch while starting off in 1st gear from a stop. What is happening is that the clutch disc is grabbing and slipping several times each second at the engagement point. It is annoying as all hell, but usually only happens when the engine is cold.
My wife's car has an aftermarket Exedy racing clutch, and will occasionally chatter when cold, and the best way I found to avoid it is get the clutch out as quick as possible, either with or without a lot of throttle/rpm.

Oh i see, like a judder? Didn't realise it was called that..

My car seems to do that when its cold and damp, goes away after i pull away a few times though, i take no notice...
Jahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
Zenmervolt
Supermoderator
The Garage
Elite member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Quote:

ZV
Well, that depends on the car. With mine replacing the transmission is actually faster and easier than the clutch (since I need to drop the trans to get to the clutch). But tires go up long before the transmission goes. Though at $250 or so for a Luk clutch kit, $300 for a pair of BFG Radial T/A tires, and $1000 for an NV3500, the clutch is the cheapest. And you need new batteries for your sarcasm detector.
Actually, I just need to remember to add the "" after I post a reply like that.

ZV

TANSTAAFL
Zenmervolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #12
Crafty35a

Quote:
I have taught numerous people how to drive a manual trans over the last 30 years or so, and I always have them practice this in a parking lot. Let the clutch out slowly and smoothly at an idle and you will get rolling with no chatter or stalling.....
Good tip, but it is simply not possible with some cars/clutches. I could do this with my last two cars, but this would just stall out my current car.
Crafty35a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #13
Blackjack200
Diamond Member

yeah, I used to drive a '90 jetta that didn't have enough torque to start without gas. It took me a long time to learn how to drive it (first stick shift) and I was pissed when I found out most manual cars don't require feathering the gas.
Blackjack200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 PM   #14
BlahBlahYouToo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Crafty35a
Quote:
I have taught numerous people how to drive a manual trans over the last 30 years or so, and I always have them practice this in a parking lot. Let the clutch out slowly and smoothly at an idle and you will get rolling with no chatter or stalling.....
Good tip, but it is simply not possible with some cars/clutches. I could do this with my last two cars, but this would just stall out my current car.
yeah, but when you let out that slowly, you are burning so much clutch.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #15
overst33r
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
Quote:
Originally posted by: Crafty35a
Quote:
yeah, but when you let out that slowly, you are burning so much clutch.
Not necessarily. It depends on what RPM you launch at regularly. Launching at 1500RPM with gas vs launching at half the RPM without gas

Not using the gas is just not viable in normal driving, it takes too long to get going in the cars I have driven.
Past | Present | Future
overst33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #16
exdeath
Lifer

Personal advice, don't ever offer to teach someone stick for the first time in a car with a ceramic or dual friction clutch that takes a leg like Schwarzenegger's to operate...
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote