Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-08-2003, 06:23 AM   #1
Corporate Thug
Lifer

Default 7 pound laptop too heavy?

i'm llokin into a laptop, i found one that is 7 pounds. is this too heavy to lug to and from class? thanx

Member, Official AnandTech Bar Association

Corsair 700D ll i2500k@ 4.5 Ghz ll Asrock z68 gen3 ll Sapphire 7870XT Tahiti @ 1200/1600 ll Corsair A70 ll XFX 650W Black Edition ll 8GB Corsair Vengeance ll Dell 2707 WFP
Corporate Thug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 10:14 AM   #2
sciencewhiz
Diamond Member

Default RE: 7 pound laptop too heavy?

find a 7 pound book (or combination of books) and carry them to class in addition to what else you normally need to bring.

My old laptop was 6.5 lbs, and I thought it was to heavy to carry with everything else. But I know people who bring 8 pound laptops to class. It really depends on how strong you are, and what you feel you can leave behind, since you now have your laptop.

My Karma ran over your Dogma
sciencewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 11:35 AM   #3
firtol88
Banned

Default RE:7 pound laptop too heavy?

Quote:
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz
find a 7 pound book (or combination of books) and carry them to class in addition to what else you normally need to bring.

My old laptop was 6.5 lbs, and I thought it was to heavy to carry with everything else. But I know people who bring 8 pound laptops to class. It really depends on how strong you are, and what you feel you can leave behind, since you now have your laptop.

Nice to see an intelligent post on this subject instead of the generic "I can't carry anything heavier than a latte" or "weight means nothing". Realistically not all people are created equally so some will have problems that others won't... if you're a wee man then a very light weight notebook may be a necessity if not you have more options.

I personally can't feel any real difference between 8lbs. and 4lbs. but I realize that some people have limited physical potential (read as even regular workouts won't help).

The suggestion of a book is very good but instead try alternating between books with weights similar to the various laptops you are looking at, you may find the difference is negligible.

firtol88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 11:52 AM   #4
Abhi
Diamond Member

Go to a store and try the laptop, feel the wieght your self.

Also, remember, when you ll be carrying the laptop around, it will be with the Optical Drives/Floppy drive if external, the power cord and a case....

Keep that in mind.... You get a 7 pound laptop, after the power supply/charger, you are looking at around 8.5 pounds... easy...
Abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:10 PM   #5
ceo2b

I do not have a lappy currently, but I've never understood why ppl just did not scan pages they need from the text that day. If its a class were you have to flip back and forth constantly, that understandable, but why carry so much stuff if it is not necessary
ceo2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
Ramses
Golden Member

It really is a personal thing. And one can also carry more weight more easily in a good backpack or some such thing. I lug around a Sager 5660, full size external drive, two power bricks, disks, digicam, notebad, and a bunch of other odds and ends regularly and I'm only about 6', 145lbs.

The book idea is pretty good..

Old 11-08-2003, 02:08 PM   #7
TazExprez

I have carried around an Inspiron 8200, which is about 8lbs and an Inspiron 8500, which is about 7lbs. They are both kind of heavy, but I got used to them. They felt like if I was carrying around a college text book. Try carrying 7 to 8 lbs worth of books to see how it would feel. When you hold a laptop in your hand, you really won't get a feel of how it would feel carrying it around in your back. Plus, you usually carry around the PSU/Charger in your bag, too. So just experiment with some book load on your back. I have a Targus backpack, which brings a laptop compartment, btw.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:02 PM   #8
dnuggett
Diamond Member

Quote:
Nice to see an intelligent post on this subject instead of the generic "I can't carry anything heavier than a latte" or "weight means nothing".
I agree completely here. This is refreshing compared to some of the ignorance I have read in the past on this topic.

For me personally 7lbs is no problem, but I have a larger build. I would think that as long as the laptop is going in a backpack weight really doesn't matter within reason.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #9
KG9921

Weight is very relative. It doesn't even have to do as much with strength or working out as it does with personal preference. I'm a personal trainer, and I'm 5'9 215, and I happen to think carrying around something else that's 8 pounds is a pain. It's more about how it affects YOU.
KG9921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 10:50 PM   #10
Xarthan

You can also goto the gym and work out a bit more. If your a healthy person and 7 lbs is too much to handle the gym can do wonders. :-)
Xarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 12:42 AM   #11
preslove
Lifer

Quote:
Weight is very relative. It doesn't even have to do as much with strength or working out as it does with personal preference. I'm a personal trainer, and I'm 5'9 215, and I happen to think carrying around something else that's 8 pounds is a pain.
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 02:28 AM   #12
TEEZLE
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: preslove
Quote:
Weight is very relative. It doesn't even have to do as much with strength or working out as it does with personal preference. I'm a personal trainer, and I'm 5'9 215, and I happen to think carrying around something else that's 8 pounds is a pain.

.......The fact that someone got in your face is not an excuse for you being an asshole..........AnandTech Moderator
TEEZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:01 AM   #13
tonyrayo

I agree with the people that say "you get used to it". I haven't seen a laptop out there that weights over 11 pounds by itself (not saying it doesn't exist), and at that weight or less, I believe most people will get used to it with regular use. Also, it might help if you choose a solution like a backpack with a laptop section. I myself carry ~40 pounds of books to and from class. It's not the best thing for your back, but it beats using your arms =).
tonyrayo is offline   Reply With Quote