· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-10-2003, 10:50 AM   #1
BaliBabyDoc
Lifer

Default So many breasts so little time . . .

SFChronicle
(excerpts)
Berkeley, the world champion of mass lactation, defended its crown Saturday against the upstart Australians in what has become something of a transpacific nursing grudge match.

On the count of, "One, two, three, latch!" nearly 700 moms suckled their babes in the Berkeley Community Theatre. Although the final head count was a bit shy of the 1,130 women who brought the title home to Berkeley last year, it still, to quote the master of ceremonies, "kicked some serious Aussie booby. "

Part of World Breast-Feeding Week, the competition's main purpose is "to support and promote breast-feeding," said Ellen Sirbu, director of Berkeley's Women, Infants and Children nutrition program. Goals of the competition include promoting breast-feeding education over free baby formula at hospitals and the freedom to nurse "anyplace moms and babies are allowed to be," Sirbu said.

Professional editorial . . . breastfed babies are healthier babies.
Personal editorial . . . breastfed babies are happier babies . . . but Pops is getting jealous.
BaliBabyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:40 AM   #2
Tab
Lifer

Default RE:So many breasts so little time . . .

Thats really messed up...
Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:45 AM   #3
alchemize
Lifer

Default RE: So many breasts so little time . . .

You'd be suprised at the looks a woman gets when breastfeeding her child. Sometimes they will even ask you to leave places (i.e. WalMart).

I keep waiting for it to happen to us someday so I can let loose
Old 08-10-2003, 12:02 PM   #4
DealMonkey
Lifer

Yeah, this country is so full of prudes... Bah.
DealMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:07 PM   #5
jjones
Lifer

Well, you just knew this thread was going to get my attention.

Edit: BTW, I really cannot understand why anyone has a problem with seeing a woman breast feed her baby. It's seems about one of the most natural things in the world.
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:08 PM   #6
tnitsuj
Diamond Member

What's so bad about women breast feeding?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:17 PM   #7
Syringer
Lifer

I'm shocked to hear such a thing is happening at Berkeley, the sane capital of the world
Syringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:37 PM   #8
alchemize
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
What's so bad about women breast feeding?
It would put the companies like Nestle out of business. And our health care costs would be reduced, causing mass unemployment. Dire economic consequences

How is breast feeding done in the Middle East, I wonder?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:53 PM   #9
datalink7
Lifer

Breast feeding is very important. It reduces the chance of breast cancer later in life and also vastly improves a babies health.

Generally good to breast feed for about a year.
Now our feelings run deep and cold as the clay.
And strung out behind us the banners and flags
Of our possible pasts lie in tatters and rags.
datalink7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:56 PM   #10
BaliBabyDoc
Lifer

Quote:
How is breast feeding done in the Middle East, I wonder?
At the house, in the closet, under a blanket and a burka . . .
Old 08-10-2003, 03:09 PM   #11
pickel

My wife breast feed our daughter for about six months and didn't give a schitt where she was. If the kid was crying for food she got fed. She was an old cowgirl and didn't mind speaking her mine. Women, esspecially, lactating mothers should stand up more for their natural duties and tell these losers to phuck off. !!!!!
pickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:39 PM   #12
Bleep
Diamond Member

I think the problem is that in the US the breast is looked at as a sex organ, not as a gland to generate food for babies.

Bleep
Not many of us are called to do great things but all of us are called to do small things in a great way. <BR> Coleman McCarthy<BR><a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=11748">My system rigs</a>
Bleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 04:09 PM   #13
Moonbeam
Elite Member

Anybody complaining oughta get a squirt in the eye.
The above is probably just my usual sarcasm and in no way reflects my real opinion (and,or) may include subtleties of sufficient rarity as to appear to the unsuspecting like total gibberish. It may not be so much a matter that I'm far out, but rather that you have never been anywhere.
Moonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 04:28 PM   #14
Evadman
Administrator Emeritus
Elite Member

MMMmmm... Leftovers
Evadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 06:20 PM   #15
NesuD
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evadman
MMMmmm... Leftovers
2 X ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP Crossfire, Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
1 Samsung 840 250 GiG SSD Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
3 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD's RAID5
NesuD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 06:27 PM   #16
Michael
Elite member

Both my daughters were (are, my 1 year-old still is) breast fed.

The one change I asked my wife to do was bring a blanket into church so she could have a little extra privacy and be a little more considerate of the sensibilities of the others at church. She's always been militant about breastfeeding wherever she was, and then stopped to think about the different ages ranges at church and the different mindset people could be in while attending church and agreed that a "privacy" blanket was a good idea.

The hard times were when she was on call. She had to make sure that she pumped before and I had a supply of milk and she also had to be good about pumping while at the hospital.

There isn't a recommended cut-off date for stopping. In many ways, it is social, not medical. People generally stop somewhere between 1 and 2 and it is something between the baby and the mother.

Michael

"Oaths I have taken! I will fulfill them all! To King and Kingdom"
Michael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:52 PM   #17
Isla
Elite member

Yay for breastfeeding. I nursed all three of my kids, my mother nursed all four of hers, her mother nursed all hers, and her mother before her nursed all of her children. Bottle feeding was just never part of our culture.

I do not doubt for a moment that it has contributed to the above average health and intelligence my extended family enjoys.

I feel sad for people who can't (or won't) breastfeed for physical or emotional reasons, or who are uncomfortable with it. It's a shame to miss out on something that is so good for your children.
Isla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:16 PM   #18
BaliBabyDoc
Lifer

Actually it's not just an issue between mother and baby. Every mother on WIC that cuts off the free mammary supply is an expense on the public welfare system. Those kids develop more infections/allergies, are more overweight, have poorer eyesight and IQ up to age 4 (last published studies). The mothers are more overweight (adequate breastfeeding can melt the pounds away), have more kids/closer together (Mother Nature was damn smart with natural birth spacing), and the anecdotal evidence that breastfeeding promotes maternal/child bonding.

One of the most significant tragedies of American capitalism has been the aggressive marketing of infant formula to Third World countries in SE Asia, subsaharan Africa, and the American South. Despite the fact American formulas through 2000 were inferior to European formulas (which included supplemental levels of amino acids like taurine and essential fatty acids like docosahexanoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) to more closely match the composition of human breastmilk). Not only is formula more expensive but you must have clean water to mix . . . but of course people trying to make a buck don't consider such factors when there's a market to be captured.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:34 PM   #19
Isla
Elite member

Quote:
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Actually it's not just an issue between mother and baby. Every mother on WIC that cuts off the free mammary supply is an expense on the public welfare system. Those kids develop more infections/allergies, are more overweight, have poorer eyesight and IQ up to age 4 (last published studies). The mothers are more overweight (adequate breastfeeding can melt the pounds away), have more kids/closer together (Mother Nature was damn smart with natural birth spacing), and the anecdotal evidence that breastfeeding promotes maternal/child bonding.

One of the most significant tragedies of American capitalism has been the aggressive marketing of infant formula to Third World countries in SE Asia, subsaharan Africa, and the American South. Despite the fact American formulas through 2000 were inferior to European formulas (which included supplemental levels of amino acids like taurine and essential fatty acids like docosahexanoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) to more closely match the composition of human breastmilk). Not only is formula more expensive but you must have clean water to mix . . . but of course people trying to make a buck don't consider such factors when there's a market to be captured.
That's sick, sad, and heartbreakingly true.

Isla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:19 PM   #20
alchemize
Lifer

My wife is a La Leche League leader. Their organization does a tremendous amount of work trying to fight against the big formula companies (Nestle, etc.). For any of you that have ever had a child, the relationship they have with hospitals is sickening. Didn't you ever find it funny when you checked out of the hospital, and they hand you this huge back with free formula samples, coupons, etc. but not one single word about breastfeeding? (most hospitals anyhow). You get home, and there is more in the mailbox. Basically they are marketing drug pushers. Most sheep just jump right in and start poisoning their child My daughter is 3 years 4 months old and still nurses at bedtime.

See moonbeam you thought I was a mindless neocon.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:41 PM   #21
JellyBaby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Part of World Breast-Feeding Week, the competition's main purpose is "to support and promote breast-feeding,"
Then I should say they have suckle-ceded because I was grossly unaware of the benefits of breast feeding and also unaware of The Man's efforts to market and sell bottled milk, both to us and third-world nations. Nipple in my life would I have guessed!
JellyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:22 PM   #22
BaliBabyDoc
Lifer

Well I won't go as far as alchemize. There is a legitimate niche market for formula . . . women without adequate milk or on certain medications. Unfortunately, our capitalist/consumer society has reduced infant nutrition to just another market. Breastfeeding is almost always superior to formula feeding but I wouldn't call it "poisoning". Granted, I am still upset my mother didn't breastfeed . . . I think the goat milk is what kept my IQ under 180.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:33 AM   #23
Alistar7
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Well I won't go as far as alchemize. There is a legitimate niche market for formula . . . women without adequate milk or on certain medications. Unfortunately, our capitalist/consumer society has reduced infant nutrition to just another market. Breastfeeding is almost always superior to formula feeding but I wouldn't call it "poisoning". Granted, I am still upset my mother didn't breastfeed . . . I think the goat milk is what kept my IQ under 18.0.
he forgot the decimal point again, it's not his fault though obviously

hey Doc , nothing personal there, stop tossing up those fat fastballs though....

Alistar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 02:49 AM   #24
LunarRay
Diamond Member

Goat's milk... hmmmm.... now I know why my mother split when I was young... I thirsted for knowledge even at a young age..
Old 08-11-2003, 08:23 AM   #25
colonel
Golden Member

yeah this a good thing
" I have frequently amused myself both in public and private companies, with silently remarking, the specious errors of those who speak and write without reflecting " Thomas Paine Common Sense , Rights of the Man.
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote