· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-14-2003, 10:11 AM   #1
Ender510
Golden Member

Default What happened to my desktop and user profile??? Windows XP Pro - help!!!

I have a winxp problem. Hope you guys can u help?

Here's what happened - everything was working fine until I changed a setting. When I initially installed winxp, I think I chose the default install settings. I would always have admin priv when logging in and I had had auto log on turned on.. I'm not sure if I chose no password during installation or if it was because of tweak UI.

Anyhow, i went into systems setting (right click computer), went under the computer name tab, then clicked on networkID. I ended up changing a different domain name (xxxxx.com) so I can try and network my laptop to this desktop machine. While doing this, it asked for a reboot after.. I ended up 'creating' a new local user for this computer..

It wanted a reboot, so then I did.. After rebooting.. i noticed now i have to login (ctrl alt del) whereas before I didn't have to. However,I can only login as administrator - but there there is no password assigned to it.

After I login, I get the green background with a brand new desktop, as if it was a fresh install.. My desktop icons, my menus, etc. nothing is there nor ar the settings..

Next,I checked the path CDocuments and Settings. I found a username in that path

and found that there is a folder called

CDocuments and Settings\User Name

and it appeared to be 'very full'. Many files, settings, etc.

I assume that this is my OLD login, so then i 'loggoed' off, then tried logging in as that user name.

However it didn't work, it wouldn't take any password whether it was blank or something was inputted

So my question - how do i login with my OLD user and have everything back to how it was before??? And get my desktop settings back?? Help please!! thank you..

Ender510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
ITJunkie
Platinum Member

Default RE:What happened to my desktop and user profile??? Windows XP Pro - help!!!

here's what happened...when you changed/joined a domain/workgroup you did indeed create a new user profile for that domain/workgroup. If I remember right, XP will automatically setup Ctrl+Alt+Del once you change from a default "workgroup" install to a "name" workgroup/domain because it assumes you want to network with other computers and auto-logon with the admin account is a security risk. I think you can still go back in and turn it on though.

You can transfer your old account settings to your new account but it can be a little complicated.

Here goes:

First logon to new domain with admin rights and then right-click My Computer and choose "Properties". Click on the "Advanced" tab and under "User Profiles" click the Settings button. Select the OLD Admin account and click the "Copy To" button. Enter whatever path you want to save the profile settings to, like CAdmin, and hit OK. It may take a couple minutes to copy the profile but it will take you back to the main "Advanced" tab when it's complete. Now you need to setup a new account username and make it a member of the Administrator group (You will see why in a sec). Once you have created the new account...log off the admin acct and log back in using the new account. You should have admin level priviledges now with the new account.

Now go to the folder of the old Admin profile, ie CAdmin, and Ctrl+A to select everything. What you want to do is copy everything in that folder to CDocuments and settings\"New Admin" folder and overwrite everything in that folder. Once the copying is complete, you can log off and log back in under the admin account and all your old user settings should be there.

Another way to go is to do a system rollback to a previous state but I will let someone else explain that one.

Good Luck!
Old 07-14-2003, 04:36 PM   #3
Ender510
Golden Member

Default RE:What happened to my desktop and user profile??? Windows XP Pro - help!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by: ITJunkie
here's what happened...when you changed/joined a domain/workgroup you did indeed create a new user profile for that domain/workgroup. If I remember right, XP will automatically setup Ctrl+Alt+Del once you change from a default "workgroup" install to a "name" workgroup/domain because it assumes you want to network with other computers and auto-logon with the admin account is a security risk. I think you can still go back in and turn it on though.

You can transfer your old account settings to your new account but it can be a little complicated.

Here goes:

First logon to new domain with admin rights and then right-click My Computer and choose "Properties". Click on the "Advanced" tab and under "User Profiles" click the Settings button. Select the OLD Admin account and click the "Copy To" button. Enter whatever path you want to save the profile settings to, like CAdmin, and hit OK. It may take a couple minutes to copy the profile but it will take you back to the main "Advanced" tab when it's complete. Now you need to setup a new account username and make it a member of the Administrator group (You will see why in a sec). Once you have created the new account...log off the admin acct and log back in using the new account. You should have admin level priviledges now with the new account.

Now go to the folder of the old Admin profile, ie CAdmin, and Ctrl+A to select everything. What you want to do is copy everything in that folder to CDocuments and settings\"New Admin" folder and overwrite everything in that folder. Once the copying is complete, you can log off and log back in under the admin account and all your old user settings should be there.

Another way to go is to do a system rollback to a previous state but I will let someone else explain that one.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your advice.. it makes sense. I've also tried going back to the user manager (via control panel) and found that all I can do is 'delete' the old user profile.. it also says its 'unknown' whereas the new 'admin' account that i am using to login states:

\domain\username

I've also tried setting it back to the 'domain' that i thought it was on.. or even the workgroup, reboot.. and still nothing. I can't get back to my old desktop/user profile..

I had my outlook and all my settttings setup, background, icons, shortcuts, etc.

I hope your solution works?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:16 PM   #4
Ender510
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ITJunkie

Here goes:

Good Luck!

It won't l;et me click "Copy To" .. that is greyed out.. any other ideas? Thanks in advance..