· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 05-01-2003, 07:25 AM   #1
dboy
Golden Member

Default cable internet keeps dropping out?

I used to have roadrunner. It worked great. I just switched to WideOpenWest (cheaper) but I'm having problems. Every few hours, the internet access quits. I have to go reset the cable modem to get it back. My setup:

CAble modem -> Siemens 2614 router -> pair of computers. When the access stops (and it's random, and even happens while actively using it), going to the modem status page shows internet disconnected. As soon as I unplug/replug the power to the modem, it's back. Quite annoying, since the modem is in the garage at the other end of the house, on a high shelf!

I'm going to call the tech support at WOW, but thought I'd stop here for help too

UPDATE 5/9/03

WOW says there's nothing wrong with the modem or them. I bypassed the router and directly connected my main computer to the cable modem. It worked fine for ~24 hours. Therefore, I assume that the router is the problem. I bought a new Netgear RP814 (don't have wireless anything, but it was only $10 more than the non-wireless one) and hooked it up. Same problems as with the Siemens router. Random dropping out, have to restart the cable modem to restore it. Resetting the router does nothing. Both routers were updated to the latest firmware. Any new ideas? Having just one of our computer able to get on the internet is not acceptable. WOW has nothin on their site about hooking up multiple computers, although I did see that you get 3 IP addresses. So...

1. Could I connect the modem and computers to a switch (NOT a router) and them each access the internet that way, with their own IPs? Would I need a crossover cable from the modem to switch?

2. Is there another way of sharing the connection? I thought about adding a network card to my main rig (it's a Dell with onboard network), connect one port to the modem and the other to a switch and use it to share the internet. If I did that, would I need firewall software on BOTH computers or just mine?

3. Any idea what is different about a router vs the computer that makes it keep dropping? Their techs didn't know, but maybe some geniuses here would know.

4. Any better way to share the connection?

THANKS!
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:33 AM   #2
waitman
Diamond Member

wouldn't happen to be using any p2p programs would you?

that's the way life is!
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=24009
waitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:57 AM   #3
dboy
Golden Member

Nope, none at all (seriously, that's not sarcasm )

Just netscape, AIM, distributed.net, and symantec Liveupdate access the net from my computers
Old 05-01-2003, 09:47 AM   #4
blueribb

I've been having sort of the same trouble for the last 6 months also. I have Comcast Cable Internet.

When my connection to the internet quits (no error messages or disconnect from the Network), I just unplug

both my router and modem for a few seconds. That always fixes it.

Maybe flashing the router or modem would help.
blueribb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:00 PM   #5
Spikey289

Blueribb is right. I had that problem with my linksys router and dsl access with verizon. I flashed the router to latest bios update and the issue disappeared. Check for any updates for the router.
Spikey289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:27 PM   #6
imported_SuperPickle
Golden Member

I had similar issues, although I'm on ASDL. The rash of problems were fixed when I cleared out the area around the networking equipment and placed there a little fan. I know, it sounds goofy but it seems the stuff was overheating and locking up. It's all better now.
imported_SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 08:50 AM   #7
dboy
Golden Member

see original post for update...
Old 05-09-2003, 09:13 AM   #8
Jazzxx

make sure that the next time your connection drops you callyour provider WHILE YOU HAVE NO CONNECTION! If they still tell you that its not their problem, I would check for updates for your roouter. I had that same problem a while ago and the problem was the cable modem, but could only be diagnosed once I got a hold of tech support while the connection was down.
Jazzxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:34 AM   #9
dboy
Golden Member

Ah, good point. I'll try that - what they told me before was all the signal strengths were good, and since the lights on the modem indicated everything was good, it couldn't be the problem. I'll give them a call next time it's down (aka many opportunities to call tonight)