· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-15-2003, 11:41 AM   #1
acidvoodoo
Platinum Member

Default Brownie Mix: Ifi don't use an Egg, will they just come out chewier/less cake like?

i just found one of those Betty Crocker Brownie mixes in my cupboard. It ses to add water, oil, and one egg. Now, i don't have any eggs, and i can't really be arsed to go get some, and i want brownies, dammit

So, if i don't add an egg, rather add abit more oil instead, will i egg up with thin/chewy brownies, rather then the cake like ones. I actually like thin chewy brownies anyway.

advice?
acidvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
Jmmsbnd007
Diamond Member

Default Brownie Mix: If I don't use an Egg, will they just come out chewier/less cake like?

You will die if you do not follow the directions.
Jmmsbnd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:42 AM   #3
murphy55d
Lifer

Default Brownie Mix: If I don't use an Egg, will they just come out chewier/less cake like?

I think you can substitute applesauce for an egg. I am not sure though of the taste effects, though I can't see it being any worse than it being too oily.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:43 AM   #4
acidvoodoo
Platinum Member

screw that, i'm not appleizing my brownies
Old 03-15-2003, 11:44 AM   #5
datalink7
Lifer

Just add weed... everything tastes fine when you have the munchies
Now our feelings run deep and cold as the clay.
And strung out behind us the banners and flags
Of our possible pasts lie in tatters and rags.
datalink7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:45 AM   #6
hdeck
Lifer

don't do it, it's a trick.
hdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:45 AM   #7
acidvoodoo
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: datalink7
Just add weed... everything tastes fine when you have the munchies
if i can't be arsed goin to the store to get eggs, i can't be arsed goin out to find a friend to get weed
Old 03-15-2003, 11:53 AM   #8
geno
Lifer

Oh man, who's the guy on the forums that had his GF bring him brownies while he was sick? She had a good egg substitute

(can't find the thread that story was from...)
geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:55 AM   #9
WinkOsmosis
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: geno
Oh man, who's the guy on the forums that had his GF bring him brownies while he was sick? She had a good egg substitute

:Q
WinkOsmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:57 AM   #10
Spac3d
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Quote:

hehe
Spac3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:58 AM   #11
Grasshopper27
Banned

Quote:

That would be funnier if it was the guy bringing her the brownies...

*mind in the gutter*

: ) Hopper
Grasshopper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:00 PM   #12
arcas
Platinum Member

Generally those one-egg recipes already create chewy brownies (they usually say something like add an extra egg or two if you want cake-like brownies). Leaving the eggs out entirely might result in something that resembles thick pudding moreso than brownies...

Old 03-15-2003, 12:01 PM   #13
acidvoodoo
Platinum Member

Quote:

eggs=high in protein, similar to something else

well, i can see a correlation

but, that's discusting
Old 03-15-2003, 12:04 PM   #14
geno
Lifer

Yeah, if I could only find the thread the guy posted the story in, I'd have a great quote
geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:09 PM   #15
GtPrOjEcTX
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: murphy55d
I think you can substitute applesauce for an egg. I am not sure though of the taste effects, though I can't see it being any worse than it being too oily.
I think you substitute applesauce for the oil....I've never tried it w/o the egg.

And you don't appleize it...it doesn't taste like apple...I think it tastes better.
GtPrOjEcTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:10 PM   #16
acidvoodoo
Platinum Member

well its ok now, someone else was goin out and i aksed to pick up some eggs for me, so i'll just have to wait a little longer
Old 03-15-2003, 12:12 PM   #17
Yo Ma Ma
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: GtPrOjEcTX
Quote:
Originally posted by: murphy55d
I think you substitute applesauce for the oil....I've never tried it w/o the egg.

And you don't appleize it...it doesn't taste like apple...I think it tastes better.
Yep, applesauce is sub'd for the oil... not sure what would happen with no egg at all, I think the egg binds it all together. What the heck, give it a try, it'll still be chocolate

Yo Ma Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:13 PM   #18
sciencetoy

I can't believe i know this, but --

Egg does a few things: adds liquid, helps it rise, adds body.

You can leave out the egg, add some extra liquid and a tiny bit of baking powder type stuff to make it rise.

For some reason, a banana works reasonably well as an egg substitute too.

Or just make it without the egg, add a bit more liquid, and it won't rise but it'll be flatter and good.

sciencetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:16 PM   #19
Rastus
Diamond Member

If you don't put egg in it, it will be real bad. Trust me on this one guys, been there, done that. It sets up like concrete when it bakes without egg.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:49 PM   #20
Kaieye
Platinum Member

I saw this thread about one hr. ago and I have another 15 mins. for my brownies to finish.
Kaieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 07:59 PM   #21
Tom
Lifer

I wouldn't think no eggs would be good, but on the big box of brownies that requires 2 eggs I made them with one and they were good.

No eggs, I think they would fall apart or turn into a non-brownie substance.

Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 08:32 PM   #22
Mill
Lifer

By popular request:

So I had a girlfriend for all of 9 months. She dropped by one afternoon when I was sick with a pan of brownies and a video tape with the simpsons on it (my favorite show). so I start eating the brownies and turn on the tape. midway through it, it cuts to her ******* off some dude. he **** in her mouth, she looks at the camera, and says "you're dumped. enjoy the brownies" - and spits the mouthful of *** into a bowl of brownie mix. ****ed up huh? I want to die.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 08:36 PM   #23
Grasshopper27
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Millennium
By popular request:

So I had a girlfriend for all of 9 months. She dropped by one afternoon when I was sick with a pan of brownies and a video tape with the simpsons on it (my favorite show). so I start eating the brownies and turn on the tape. midway through it, it cuts to her ******* off some dude. he **** in her mouth, she looks at the camera, and says "you're dumped. enjoy the brownies" - and spits the mouthful of *** into a bowl of brownie mix. ****ed up huh? I want to die.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.......................... .............................
Grasshopper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 08:40 PM   #24
Eli
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Millennium
By popular request:

LMFAO!

2001 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #163P - 158,388 miles and counting as of 7/2011
Best Trip - 82.0MPG over 1200 miles
2001 Honda Insight 5MT - 450,000 miles and counting as of 2/2012 (Fiancee's)
Best Trip - 92.4MPG over 400 miles
2000 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #173P, BCM Gauge, OBDIIC&C Gauge, Upgraded 8Ah battery - 227,248 miles and counting as of 10/2011
Best Trip - 83.1mpg over 458mi
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 08:50 PM   #25
Mill
Lifer

BTW, that is from an IRC chatroom. It didn't happen to me!
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote