· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
purbeast0
Lifer

Default I've been waking up with a REALLY dry throat in the mornings ...

I'll first say that yah I'm expecting some typical perverted respones by the ATOT community so please do not let me down

But on a serious note ... I've been waking up in the mornings with a pretty dry throat to the point that when I swallow it actually kind of hurts. It's been going on for about 2-3 weeks now. I have always slept with a fan in my room on so I don't think that is exactly it. I have been drinking a lot of water before I go to sleep though, and I started drinking a lot more water in the past 3 weeks than before (I dropped out sodas from my diet).

Also when I wake up and brush my teeth, I notice I have some brown mucus in my spit when I'm spitting into the sink. I am wondering if these 2 things are related.

So does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
moshquerade
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: purbeast0
I'll first say that yah I'm expecting some typical perverted respones by the ATOT community so please do not let me down

But on a serious note ... I've been waking up in the mornings with a pretty dry throat to the point that when I swallow it actually kind of hurts. It's been going on for about 2-3 weeks now. I have always slept with a fan in my room on so I don't think that is exactly it. I have been drinking a lot of water before I go to sleep though, and I started drinking a lot more water in the past 3 weeks than before (I dropped out sodas from my diet).

Also when I wake up and brush my teeth, I notice I have some brown mucus in my spit when I'm spitting into the sink. I am wondering if these 2 things are related.

do you brush *before* you go to bed?

most likely you are sleeping with your mouth open because you are congested and have post nasal drip. couple that with the fan blowing in your face(?) and your throat will be dry. a dry throat is more likely to get infected.
moshquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
preslove
Lifer

allergies?
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Quote:

do you brush *before* you go to bed?

most likely you are sleeping with your mouth open because you are congested and have post nasal drip. couple that with the fan blowing in your face(?) and your throat will be dry. a dry throat is more likely to get infected.
I brush before bed like half the time, not always.

And I am sure I sleep with my mouth open, but I always have. I have bad allergies and asthma and my nose is stuffed up often.

Hmm yah I wonder if stuff is dripping overnight while I sleep into the back of my throat.

I typically do not sleep with the fan blowing on me. If it's blowing on me, it's usually blowing around my feet or so because when it blows in my face, I wake up with sore throats and stuff. I blow it into the closet usually.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Tiamat
Lifer

if you breathe through your mouth when you sleep, your throat and mouth will be all dried out by morning. I usually breathe through my mouth if my nose is all conjested. If the room's humidity is too low, or the temperature is high, the water content in your mouth will be liberated into the air leaving your mouth dry.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Tiamat
if you breathe through your mouth when you sleep, your throat and mouth will be all dried out by morning. I usually breathe through my mouth if my nose is all conjested.
Thing is ... I've always slept breathing through my mouth. That's what is so weird that now all of a sudden it's like REALLY dry. It's definitely dryer than usual now.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
Tiamat
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
if you breathe through your mouth when you sleep, your throat and mouth will be all dried out by morning. I usually breathe through my mouth if my nose is all conjested.
Thing is ... I've always slept breathing through my mouth. That's what is so weird that now all of a sudden it's like REALLY dry. It's definitely dryer than usual now.

Yeah, its because the room conditions aren't always the same. The vapor pressure of water is a strong function of temperature. The amount of water naturally in the air affects the diffusion of the water from your mouth to the atmosphere. If the humidity is low, the water from your mouth will diffuse into the air. If the temperature is higher, the vapor pressure will increase, thus liberating the water from the liquid to the vapor phase.

In simpler terms, "get a humidifier"
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
sixone
Lifer

Get a humidifier.
sixone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
jmdeathsquad

there's a lot of pollen in the air, at least here in Fl... that could have something to do with it...
jmdeathsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, its because the room conditions aren't always the same. The vapor pressure of water is a strong function of temperature. The amount of water naturally in the air affects the diffusion of the water from your mouth to the atmosphere. If the humidity is low, the water from your mouth will diffuse into the air. If the temperature is higher, the vapor pressure will increase, thus liberating the water from the liquid to the vapor phase.

In simpler terms, "get a humidifier"
Aaah okay that makes sense. Hmm maybe Ill look into getting a humidifier as sixone suggested.

The temperature outside has been going from hot/cold and back and forth so I have been making changes to the temperature in my room. So that would kind of make sense why it could be happening now.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
Spineshank
Diamond Member

Ive been having it too lately. But havent in the past week or so.

15" rMBP  iPhone 6+ 128GB  iPad Air 2  2TB Time Capsule
Spineshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #12
spacejamz
Diamond Member

you can also get a hygrometer which measures the humidity in your room...you can get a new analog one for about $5 plus shipping or a digital one for $15 plus shipping on amazon...

Text

"Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine." - Ted (2012)

Heat
spacejamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #13
blackdogdeek
Lifer

i'm also going to guess it's allergies and the dry mouth and brown mucus are related.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
K1052
Lifer

I vaguely recall a thread about furniture you posted, so I assume you have moved recently.

The ambient humidity from building to building varies a lot. When I moved into my last place I experienced similar dryness in the mornings and came to figure out the hvac and construction conspired to make the place really dry. A humidifier set on low in the bedroom solved the problem.
K1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: K1052
I vaguely recall a thread about furniture you posted, so I assume you have moved recently.

The ambient humidity from building to building varies a lot. When I moved into my last place I experienced similar dryness in the mornings and came to figure out the hvac and construction conspired to make the place really dry. A humidifier set on low in the bedroom solved the problem.
Yah I did just move about 2 months ago. At first I didn't have these problems but now it seems to be bothering me. I think I'm definitely going to get a humidifier to run at nights now.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #16
Amused
Elite Member

Always brush before bed. Trust me, it makes a world of difference in the health of your teeth and gums over time. ESPECIALLY if you're a mouth breather when you sleep.

Buy a humidifier. Make sure to add anti-mold/fungal/bacterial stuff to the water. I personally prefer humidifiers that use evaporative rather than ultrasonic means to humidify the air.

Join Now!!!

Everything I post is, by default, NSFW. There's your warning! Now stop wasting your boss' money and get back to work!
Amused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #17
thomsbrain
Lifer

oh god, humidifiers make me shiver in moldy fright.

<-- lives next to ocean. the humidity is a sticky 73% in my bedroom right now. i already have to bleach my walls twice a year to kill the mold.
thomsbrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #18
moshquerade
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Amused
Always brush before bed. Trust me, it makes a world of difference in the health of your teeth and gums over time. ESPECIALLY if you're a mouth breather when you sleep.

Buy a humidifier. Make sure to add anti-mold/fungal/bacterial stuff to the water. I personally prefer humidifiers that use evaporative rather than ultrasonic means to humidify the air.
healthy mouth = healthy body

(brush and floss)
moshquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
MX2
Lifer

A humidifier will solve your problem most likely. Bacteria/mold will not be an issue with it as long as you keep it cleaned daily.
MX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #20
pontifex
Lifer

Quote:

my whole mouth is dry in the mornings
pontifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #21
LordMaul
Lifer

*obligatory perverted response*

LordMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #22
pontifex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: LordMaul
*obligatory perverted response*
what would be a perverted response for a dry throat? i can think of some for sore or wet throat, but not dry.
pontifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #23
imported_Imp
Diamond Member

Sure you aren't sick? Happened to me for about a couple weeks, mother effing cold, actually hurt like hell to breath at night. Woke up a bunch of times to it...
imported_Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #24
Oil
Diamond Member

Its most likely allergies. In the spring (right now actually) my throat is dry in the morning because of pollen
Oil is offline   Reply With Quote