Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· AMD Video Cards
· Nvidia
· Displays
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Jadow
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Midwest - USA
Posts: 5,904
Default How Much Do You Pay in Taxes

I just estimated that for 2010, when combining federal and state income taxes, payroll taxes, and estimating sales taxes, (EDIT and property tax), my wife and I will pay $45,000 in taxes in 2010.

Frankly I am stunned, I never realized we paid this much.

I hope the 50% of people who pay no federal income taxes enjoy living off my money.

Note, we are NOT rich and we are not HENRYs either.

Last edited by Jadow; 05-12-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Jadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Skitzer
Diamond Member
 
Skitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,411
Default

If you mean ALL Taxes ........... I pay way too much.
Skitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
spidey07
No Lifer
 
spidey07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 65,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadow View Post
I just estimated that for 2010, when combining federal and state income taxes, payroll taxes, and estimating sales taxes, my wife and I will pay $45,000 in taxes in 2010.

Frankly I am stunned, I never realized we paid this much.

I hope the 50% of people who pay no federal income taxes enjoy living off my money.

Note, we are NOT rich and we are not HENRYs either.
Oh you're rich alright. According to Obama and the leftists here you're rich. Why are you not paying your fair share?
__________________
___
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
piasabird
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,904
Default

How much a person pays in taxes is pretty much irrelevent unless you know how much income they make. So you probably paid more in taxes than most people in the USA make in income??? (On average).

Congratulations, you are rich!

Wish I made enough money to pay that much in taxes. So how much $$ do you make in income per year? $200,000?

If you start adding up the liquer tax, sales tax, Gas Tax, and Tobacco Tax, the Vehicle Lic Fees and taxes, and the Property taxes, and taxes on student loans, things can get pretty high.

I went to the store last night and was debating about whether I had enough money to buy some razor blades so I could shave.

My wife works for the census (Dept of Public Info?). She gets like no benefits for this job. So should the Govt have to pay the penalty for not paying for her medical insurance?
__________________
Asus Memo Pad 7 HD. Quad Core Tablet.

Last edited by piasabird; 05-12-2010 at 12:23 PM.
piasabird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
her209
No Lifer
 
her209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: ::1
Posts: 56,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piasabird View Post
So how much $$ do you make in income per year? $200,000?
My guess is:

$45,000 = 60% x Salary

$75,000 = Salary

__________________
Stop pleasing others and start pleasing yourself.
her209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Dekasa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 226
Default

Let's see, I paid:
$3,000. Give or take. I was self-employed last summer so I paid all my SS, which sucked.

So, somewhere right around $3k on $9k income.
Dekasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
heyheybooboo
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,289
Default

Gee ...

An Internet troll thread where a little crying sock puppet claims they pay $45k in taxes. In ATP&N, no less.

I'm shocked, I tell yah. Shocked.




--
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because NeoCon patriots stand ready to violate the constitution and do violence on your behalf"
heyheybooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Cuda1447
Lifer
 
Cuda1447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,766
Default

Eleventybillion
Cuda1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
StageLeft
No Lifer
 
StageLeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 70,215
Default

I honestly have no idea if you tabulate all taxes. You'd even have to get down to your cellphone bill and tab out the taxes within that, or your power bill, it would be impossible. My overall federal taxes honestly are not that high after all the child credits and mortgage deductions and all that. State in NY is pretty terrible, though.
__________________
It is accomplished.
StageLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
ElFenix
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Off Topic
 
ElFenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 94,779
Default

just from an accounting standpoint i paid over $260 in gasoline taxes last year. that's probably not much more than what i paid from an economic standpoint. also add in the fact that i probably paid some portion of the taxes 'paid' by the companies that sold the gasoline to me.
__________________
I killed and ate the Fun Mod with some jellybeans and a little Chianti.

AnandTech Mean Moderator
ElFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
DaveSimmons
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 37,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadow View Post
I just estimated that for 2010, when combining federal and state income taxes, payroll taxes, and estimating sales taxes, my wife and I will pay $45,000 in taxes in 2010.

I hope the 50% of people who pay no federal income taxes enjoy living off my money.
I like how you include payroll, sales and other taxes when figuring your total, then compare that total to just federal income taxes.
DaveSimmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
JS80
Lifer
 
JS80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadow View Post
I just estimated that for 2010, when combining federal and state income taxes, payroll taxes, and estimating sales taxes, my wife and I will pay $45,000 in taxes in 2010.

Frankly I am stunned, I never realized we paid this much.

I hope the 50% of people who pay no federal income taxes enjoy living off my money.

Note, we are NOT rich and we are not HENRYs either.
I pay more than you, less that Slew Foot.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoberFett View Post
95% of what Craig says is stupid. The other 5% is REALLY stupid.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
boomerang
Lifer
 
boomerang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 15,502
Default

It's not necessarily how much you pay, it's what's done with the money. There is a huge disconnect between those that pay and those that spend. While those of us in the trenches learn to get by with what we have, the spenders in DC just keep borrowing.
__________________
Inside many liberals is a totalitarian screaming to get out. They donít like to have another point of view in the room that they donít quash and the way they try to quash it is by character assassination and name calling. - David Horowitz
boomerang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #14
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member
 
EagleKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bumps west of Denver
Posts: 42,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekasa View Post
Let's see, I paid:
$3,000. Give or take. I was self-employed last summer so I paid all my SS, which sucked.

So, somewhere right around $3k on $9k income.
Seems like you deliberately ripped yourself off.

With that level of income and being self employed- you should have been able to expense off a large amount.

What did you Schedule C look like? Did you utilize the Tax thread information?
__________________
F15 Air Superiority Fighter - Never has one been lost in aerial combat (104 kills)
EagleKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
Dekasa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 226
Default

I counted sales tax, SS, and the little bit of income I ended up paying. So, 7% + ~12% + several hundred $'s.

Might've been closer to $2,000, I didn't do my own taxes this year so I don't know exactly what I paid in for my non-self employed jobs.
Dekasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #16
Jadow
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Midwest - USA
Posts: 5,904
Default

I forgot to list property tax, but I was including that too. And no, we definitely are NOT rich, and make NOWHERE near 200k.

I'll think about how rich I am when I have store brand mac and cheese for dinner tonight. lol
Jadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #17
KlokWyze
Diamond Member
 
KlokWyze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 4,371
Default

Nothing or next to nothing, but I make less than 30k a year.
KlokWyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #18
woolfe9999
Diamond Member
 
woolfe9999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,164
Default

My wife and I paid about 37% of our total income out in payroll and income taxes for last year. We are in a very high income bracket.

It's probably best to discuss this in terms of percentages.

- wolf
woolfe9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
Slew Foot
Lifer
 
Slew Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pen Island
Posts: 11,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS80 View Post
I pay more than you, less that Slew Foot.

77K in federal income tax, 22K in CA state tax last year. FML
__________________
"In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness."
Slew Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
JS80
Lifer
 
JS80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew Foot View Post
77K in federal income tax, 22K in CA state tax last year. FML
hmm...I didn't think I'd be so close. But I'm sure you will outpace me. Didn't your wife start a new biz this year?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoberFett View Post
95% of what Craig says is stupid. The other 5% is REALLY stupid.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #21
Slew Foot
Lifer
 
Slew Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pen Island
Posts: 11,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS80 View Post
hmm...I didn't think I'd be so close. But I'm sure you will outpace me. Didn't your wife start a new biz this year?

She started Nov of 2009, had about 800 in taxable income that year

Probably in the 150-200K range this year.
__________________
"In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness."
Slew Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #22
spidey07
No Lifer
 
spidey07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 65,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew Foot View Post
She started Nov of 2009, had about 800 in taxable income that year

Probably in the 150-200K range this year.
You guys are going to get creamed real soon. As in next year, CY 2011. He's coming after our wallets, hold onto them and save as much as you can now.

Don't spend, just save because he is coming after your hard earned money. Why do you think the economy is in such a shitter still? Obama. People are scared shitless from what he says he wants to do and will do.
__________________
___
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #23
nick1985
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 27,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadow View Post

I hope the 50% of people who pay no federal income taxes enjoy living off my money.
They love your money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19v5Kjmc8FI
nick1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
Balt
Lifer
 
Balt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 11,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadow View Post
I hope the 50% of people who pay no federal income taxes enjoy living off my money.
I'm sure they're enjoying their lives in poverty and near-poverty, yes.
Balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #25
JS80
Lifer
 
JS80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
You guys are going to get creamed real soon. As in next year, CY 2011. He's coming after our wallets, hold onto them and save as much as you can now.

Don't spend, just save because he is coming after your hard earned money. Why do you think the economy is in such a shitter still? Obama. People are scared shitless from what he says he wants to do and will do.
I like to think we're already in the creamed camp.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoberFett View Post
95% of what Craig says is stupid. The other 5% is REALLY stupid.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Alpha 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.