· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-20-2003, 05:01 PM   #1
BamBam215
Golden Member

Default How come there is breaking noise when you throw a spark plug at a car window?

A few people I know had that happened when people try to break into their car. Apparently it doesn't make any noise when you break the window with a spark plug. Is there a reason why?
BamBam215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:03 PM   #2
Pepsi90919
Banned

Default RE: How come there is no breaking noise when you throw a spark plug at a car window?

no.
Pepsi90919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:04 PM   #3
dighn
Lifer

Default RE: How come there is no breaking noise when you throw a spark plug at a car window?

the electrostatic field dampens sound energy
dighn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
BamBam215
Golden Member

Default RE:How come there is no breaking noise when you throw a spark plug at a car window?

Quote:
Originally posted by: dighn
the electrostatic field dampens sound energy
elaborate?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #5
notfred
Lifer

I've never tried it, but I guarantee that breaking a car window w/ a spark plug is not silent.
notfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #6
Electric Amish
Elite Member

WTF?
Electric Amish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:06 PM   #7
dighn
Lifer

i'm just kidding

but seriously though. tempered glass shatters in a funny way. maybe if you disturbed it enough so that it shatters on its own it wont make so much sound instead of just hitting it with some large object.
dighn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:08 PM   #8
Cerebus451
Golden Member

Default RE:How come there is no breaking noise when you throw a spark plug at a car window?

I heard about this many many (like 10) years ago. Supposedly it was just the ceramic portion of the spark plug, and it wasn't silent, but it made very little noise. I think it might be an urban legend, have to go check Snopes...

Edit: Or maybe not... reading this message it does sound like something that snatch-and-grabbers will use to break into a car.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:08 PM   #9
Crucial
Diamond Member

It's not loud but it's not silent. The glass is saftey glass so it doesn't shatter into big pieces and fall out. It will spiderweb and stay in place till you push it out. Thats why it's so quiet. There is no sound of glass splilling all over. And yes I have done it with the ceramic from spark plug. It works extremely well.
Crucial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #10
BooGiMaN
Diamond Member

yeah i saw this on tv once...and the piece of ceramic they used was very tiny...like a very small pebble. i think they wet it first but i could be wrong...

i never understood why it works so well though
BooGiMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:12 PM   #11
BamBam215
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: csaddict
It's not loud but it's not silent. The glass is saftey glass so it doesn't shatter into big pieces and fall out. It will spiderweb and stay in place till you push it out. Thats why it's so quiet. There is no sound of glass splilling all over. And yes I have done it with the ceramic from spark plug. It works extremely well.
Tried it on your own car? so u dont actually use the entire spark plug, just the ceramic part?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:16 PM   #12
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

okayyyyyy, so they break into your car, release the hood, spend 5 minutes taking out a spark plug, to throw at the next victim's car?

I highly doubt it would be silent. But shattering tempered glass isn't as loud as shattering a regular piece of glass or a bottle.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:16 PM   #13
thebestMAX
Diamond Member

You only dont hear it when the owner puts a .38 slug in your head at the same time.
Anyone you've ever met!
thebestMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:23 PM   #14
BamBam215
Golden Member

Old 10-20-2003, 05:29 PM   #15
sygyzy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: DrPizza
okayyyyyy, so they break into your car, release the hood, spend 5 minutes taking out a spark plug, to throw at the next victim's car?

I highly doubt it would be silent. But shattering tempered glass isn't as loud as shattering a regular piece of glass or a bottle.

Well of course. I mean there's no way you could buy a sparkplug at any of thousands of locations nationwide.

The Perfect Cup of Tea (How-To)
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:32 PM   #16
Zenmervolt
Supermoderator
The Garage
Elite member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dighn
i'm just kidding

but seriously though. tempered glass shatters in a funny way. maybe if you disturbed it enough so that it shatters on its own it wont make so much sound instead of just hitting it with some large object.
I've been in a car when the rear defroster got too hot and caused the rear window to shatter on its own. Definitely not silent.

It's a very distinctive sound when that safety glass shatters, but you're right that it doesn't travel as well as regular glass breaking.

ZV

TANSTAAFL
Zenmervolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:33 PM   #17
aircooled
Lifer

The glass breaking will make noise no matter what broke it. Safety glass will break into small pieces, but it still makes some crackling noise as it breaks and hits the ground.

aircooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:42 PM   #18
Squisher
Lifer

I had a buddy who worked at the Ford Glass Plant in the Rouge complex many years ago they used a small ceramic(carbide) ball that had these little spikes on it. This thing would break glass when thrown at it with no effort. They used them to break up the defective glass so it could be recycled.
A couple of goofs.
Squisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:46 PM   #19
Yax
Platinum Member

I tried it on an empty pickle jar. Nothing happened to the jar upon inspection, but next day, it cracked in half. Strange. Try it yourself. (remember, just the ceramic portion of the spark plug).
Old 10-20-2003, 05:48 PM   #20
aircooled
Lifer

A spring loaded Center Punch is the best device for breaking auto glass.

aircooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:44 PM   #21
Crucial
Diamond Member

I broke the ceramic off a spark plug into small pebble sized pieces. The glass doesn't fall to the ground because there is not enough force to push the glass apart. It just spider webs the glass. It's suprisingly quiet.

My buddy and I broke apart a mortar and pestle and got the same results. We tested it on an old abandoned car.
Crucial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:47 PM   #22
tranceport
Diamond Member

I see the police all over this thread. lol

Bitcoin: 1Nx3D76evkP3QFQcebBDQxAqpZgoGfEs9V
tranceport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:48 PM   #23
Techie333
Platinum Member

Does this work w/ new spark plugs.......im gonna try this..........can someone post pics of what the ceramic part looks like?
Techie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:54 PM   #24
Cyberian
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Techie333
Does this work w/ new spark plugs.......im gonna try this..........can someone post pics of what the ceramic part looks like?
The ceramic part is the white, non-metal part that looks like good dinnerware or, ceramic.

Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 11:00 PM   #25
deerslayer
Lifer

Interesting....