· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-04-2002, 01:31 AM   #1
Riprorin
Banned

Default What happens when you hit a deer going 95 mph?

I suspect that the results aren't good even in a Chevy Impala.

I was driving on I-15 from Zion to Salt Lake City in the right lane and passed a deer who was in the left lane. It was dark and I didn't see the damn thing until I was passing him. Couldn't have missed him by more than a few feet.
Riprorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:33 AM   #2
Supermercado
Diamond Member

Probably a very big mess. I'm sure it would kill the deer and I don't know for sure, but I would guess that it would likely dent your car or possibly even break the windshield if you hit it right.

"I couldn't do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?"
Supermercado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:36 AM   #3
Rallispec
Lifer

first, you hit the dear.. it dies on impact

at that speed, the mass of the deer isnt enough to stop the car, instead the car gets knocked of control and swerves off the road.

also, upon impact, the force of the dear hitting pushes the nose of the car down, hurling the dead dear onto the hood and through the front windsheild.

with a deer hoove smashed through your skull and an antler through your chest, the impalla flies off the side of the road leaving a trail of bload spewing out the windows onto the asphalt.

your car crashes into a near tree, thrusting your body forward at increadible speeds, the seatbelt rips your apart and the top half of yoru torso flies out the windshield.

so there you lay, your bloody corpse out on the grass, head smashed open from hitting the tree with a deer hoove still thrust through your cranium, while an your lower torswer is still wearing antlers in a now bload soaked front seat of a battered chevey impalla.

pics?
Rallispec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:37 AM   #4
amnesiac
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: SuperCommando
Probably a very big mess. I'm sure it would kill the deer and I don't know for sure, but I would guess that it would likely dent your car or possibly even break the windshield if you hit it right.
Try hitting a (semi-pliable) wall at 95MPH. Your car would definitely be in the shop for a while, your airbags would go off, and you could possibly get frame damage. "Dent your car" as you put it would happen if you hit it at 20mph.

I saw what happened to a deer when it got hit at 95mph on a Colorado highway. Deer parts littered the road for a QUARTER MILE. Blech.
amnesiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:38 AM   #5
Lucky
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: SuperCommando

at 95 it would do far more than that if you hit it dead on. A good probability of serious injury or death. I've been in a car that hit a deer-my GF at the time was driving. Going 60 she just barely clipped its neck with the left outside window and it tore that thing off completely. If we'd hit it 2 seconds later it would have gone through the winshield.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:47 AM   #6
luvya
Banned

The deer dies.
luvya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:48 AM   #7
erikiksaz
Diamond Member

Something along the lines of....CLUNK!! Come to think of it, would it be more like a SPLAT?!
erikiksaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:49 AM   #8
Nemesis77
Diamond Member

You would propably die. The deer would come crashing through the windshield. That's what happend when you hit a moose. But then again, deers aren't as big as mooses are. But I would guess that you would die or be severly injured.
Nemesis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:50 AM   #9
Jerboy
Banned

The deer will be dead for sure. Very very good chance your car will be totalled no matter how new it is. You'll get hurt big time if the deer penetrates your windshield or you have a secondary collision.

If you have a sub $5K car, it will most definitely get written off as totalled. Hood+headlights+radiator+frontal body work+fenders easily cost $5,000 to repair.

I heard something about a guy hitting a deer and finding out later that it had gone through the windshield and landed in backseat of their van.

Jerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:52 AM   #10
brxndxn
Diamond Member

A while ago in this forum.. I think it was ViperGTS (is he banned? everyone I know from then has been banned by now) who smashed his small car into a dear... The whole entire car was totaled. He was luckily okay.

I can't remember who the AT member was, though..
Old 07-04-2002, 01:55 AM   #11
phatcow
Platinum Member

a doe
phatcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:55 AM   #12
Danman
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: brxndxn
A while ago in this forum.. I think it was ViperGTS (is he banned? everyone I know from then has been banned by now) who smashed his small car into a dear... The whole entire car was totaled. He was luckily okay.

He is banned? :Q
Yea, I remember his story, his car was completely totaled. It sucked for him.
Danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:55 AM   #13
The Dancing Peacock
Diamond Member

imagine hitting a several hundred pound semi-firm wall the size of a deer. The deer dies, and so does the car, sometimes. You count yourself lucky if you walk away

My heatware
The Dancing Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:57 AM   #14
Rallispec
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: cashman
Quote:
Originally posted by: brxndxn

He is banned? :Q
Yea, I remember his story, his car was completely totaled. It sucked for him.
'

no he wasnt banned... he posted earlier today

Old 07-04-2002, 01:58 AM   #15
Rallispec
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: phatcow
a doe
a deer
Old 07-04-2002, 01:59 AM   #16
amnesiac
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rallispec
Quote:
a doe
a deer
a female deer.
amnesiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 02:00 AM   #17
jjsole
Lifer

Quote:
first, you hit the dear.. it dies on impact at that speed, the mass of the deer isnt enough to stop the car, instead the car gets knocked of control and swerves off the road. also, upon impact, the force of the dear hitting pushes the nose of the car down, hurling the dead dear onto the hood and through the front windsheild. with a deer hoove smashed through your skull and an antler through your chest, the impalla flies off the side of the road leaving a trail of bload spewing out the windows onto the asphalt. your car crashes into a near tree, thrusting your body forward at increadible speeds, the seatbelt rips your apart and the top half of yoru torso flies out the windshield. so there you lay, your bloody corpse out on the grass, head smashed open from hitting the tree with a deer hoove still thrust through your cranium, while your lower torswer is still wearing antlers in a now bload soaked front seat of a battered chevey impalla. pics?
:Q lol
jjsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 02:01 AM   #18
Thegonagle
Diamond Member

It would very likely total your car, and it could even kill you if any part of it came through the windshied and hit you.

This is one good reason it is a very bad idea to be going 95 MPH in the dark. Consider yourself lucky.
Thegonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 02:01 AM   #19
MaxDSP
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nemesis77
You would propably die. The deer would come crashing through the windshield. That's what happend when you hit a moose. But then again, deers aren't as big as mooses are

mooses? I thought the plural was meese

"Forgive me Father, for I poked a badger with a spoon."

:beer:
MaxDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 02:02 AM   #20
Rallispec
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0
Quote:
Quote:
a doe
a deer
a female deer.
ray
Old 07-04-2002, 02:02 AM   #21
jteef
Golden Member

dont know about 95...i can only imagine a bit more damage than what happened to us.

Driving a 96 full size bronco about 75mph on the way to go deer hunting one season. deer jumps out in front of the car. hit it in the rear torso area on the right side. we didn't stop for whatever reason. the right headlight was out. we slowed to about 65mph and kept on movin. another deer jumped out, hit this one square in the middle of his body right in the middle of the front of the car. now both headlights were out so we drove about 15mph on the shoulder with a couple of mag lites for the remaining 60 miles of the trip, hoping that the radiator wasn't broke(it wasn't). both times the sound it made was a rather loud clunk, but not nearly as loud as even the 5mph fender bender i was involved in another car with a different time. Total damage to the bronco was $3800. This was a bigger, taller, heavier car than an impala i am guessing too. my guess is a square hit at 95mph in an impala would be close to a total loss. I doubt the passengers would get hurt much unless you tried some crazy maneuver and skidded out of control and started rolling into the woods or something like that. or if the deer jumps up and hits the windshield really bad things can happen.

jt
jteef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 02:04 AM   #22
Renob
Diamond Member

I hit a deer outside Provo spelling? Utah doing 80mph in my Trans Am, I cut the dear in halp caused about $1000 in damage to my car. Some of the deer guts got sucked into my air intakes on the front of the car, what a mess. I had flies hanging around my car for about a month.

I felt like I hit a speed bump going to fast.
Old 07-04-2002, 02:05 AM   #23
Scouzer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0
Quote:
Quote:
a doe
a deer
a female deer.
What some of you guys come up with telepathy is amazing...
Scouzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 02:06 AM   #24
Goosemaster
Lifer

I hit a dead dear at 75mph...

I was driving with my dad..or actually he was driving since it was late and I was about 17 or so.

Suddenly the road turns BLOOD red for about 1/2 a mile. We both confirmed that it is indeed real, and that we are not falling asleep.

As we are going over a small hillish section of Interstate 495 and we reach the crest, we see something in the distance that is obviously not a car.

Obviously we miscalulated the size and it was immediately infront of us and...

[Emeril Lagasse Voice] "Bam!" [/Emeril Lagasse Voice]

I swore that car went 2 feet off the ground! And at 75mph mind you.

All I know is I had a lot of blood to clean off in the morning...me and my dad were both scared to look under the car when we got home...in the morning it appeared that it was a clean cut and oly blood was on the car...

My guess is that a dear got hit by a RIG and got dragged for that lengh....

Keep in mind we were in a beefy 1990 Toyota Tercel[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]

heh..at least the BIG RIG tenderized the meat before WE got there...otherwise I wouldn;t be here right now..

It's all explained in my latest book: Fight the man.
Goosemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 02:08 AM   #25
ThePresence
Elite Member

Pics!!

GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
ThePresence is offline   Reply With Quote