· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Doomguy
Platinum Member

Default Soyo 24" Topaz monitor owners - I need some help

I just replaced the power supply in my Soyo Topaz 24" monitor. It powers up and works now, except for the fact that the EDID information is GONE. The monitor will only function at up to 1600x1200, and only in VGA.

I need an owner of this monitor to dump the DVI and VGA EDID information with this http://www.tucows.com/download.html?..._id=329441&t=2 tool. After I have the dumps, I can possibly reflash the EDID information, or incorporate it into an INF to have windows override the non-existant/corrupt EDID.

Here's a link with more info on missing/corrupt EDIDs http://blog.komeil.com/2008/06/fixin...no-signal.html

Thanks!
Doomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
HumblePie
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomguy View Post
I just replaced the power supply in my Soyo Topaz 24" monitor. It powers up and works now, except for the fact that the EDID information is GONE. The monitor will only function at up to 1600x1200, and only in VGA.

I need an owner of this monitor to dump the DVI and VGA EDID information with this http://www.tucows.com/download.html?..._id=329441&t=2 tool. After I have the dumps, I can possibly reflash the EDID information, or incorporate it into an INF to have windows override the non-existant/corrupt EDID.

Here's a link with more info on missing/corrupt EDIDs http://blog.komeil.com/2008/06/fixin...no-signal.html

Thanks!
I have a dead Soyo 24" now. Where did you get a power supply fix?
HumblePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:46 AM   #3
Doomguy
Platinum Member

This thread http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...655449&page=19 was a group buy for the power supply that is now over. Apparantly, the power supply can still be ordered from here http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4778788905 . That link is in Chinese though.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
pm
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

I have a working 24" Soyo Topaz. I can do this when I get home tonight. IM me if I forget.
pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Doomguy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm View Post
I have a working 24" Soyo Topaz. I can do this when I get home tonight. IM me if I forget.
Thanks! I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Nice one mod,

That should fix him up. But what up with the mods 24 Soyo , it broke and same will happen to the guy who fixed this.

Get a good brand, pay 50 bucks more you wont regret it and the life span would be even 10 years.... more then those old 1988 TV's .. thx gl
I actually bought this monitor as broken, knowing that the power supply needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, it appears that the EDID information was also zapped.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
WT
Diamond Member

I'll be the backup in case you need this. Mines running great. M-PVA panel for $270 with a build date of 11/07.

I was even thinking of buying a second one for the workbench rig.

Heat - One man's FS is another man's WTB
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
HumblePie
Lifer

Besides the lack of HDCP, and a crappy power supply, this is seriously the best gaming pc LCD ever made in my opinion. I have one working and one dead. Need to fix the one though and might by a spare power supply incase the other one dies.
HumblePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
shangshang

Oh good ole Soyo. Nice M-PVA panel on paper, but crappy electronics. At one point, Soyo even tried to slip in TN panels for this model. Good ole Soyo.
shangshang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Doomguy
Platinum Member

Thanks to PM, everything is working as it should now. The card previously would not display anything when connected with a DVI cable to my ATI 4890; not even in the BIOS was there a display. It appears as if some video cards will not interface with a monitor if it does not a receive any EDID information.

$60 shipped for the monitor, $30 for the power supply, looks like I did okay! A fully-functional Soyo M-PVA monitor.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
EarthwormJim
Diamond Member

Quote:
Thanks to PM, everything is working as it should now. The card previously would not display anything when connected with a DVI cable to my ATI 4890; not even in the BIOS was there a display. It appears as if some video cards will not interface with a monitor if it does not a receive any EDID information.

$60 shipped for the monitor, $30 for the power supply, looks like I did okay! A fully-functional Soyo M-PVA monitor.
Hmm maybe that's what happened to my Soyo. It refuses to display an image being driven by an Ati video card (tested with AIW 9600, 1800XT, 4850). No problem with Nvidia cards though
EarthwormJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #11
Doomguy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthwormJim View Post
Hmm maybe that's what happened to my Soyo. It refuses to display an image being driven by an Ati video card (tested with AIW 9600, 1800XT, 4850). No problem with Nvidia cards though
Run Moninfo http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm with your Soyo attached to your DVI port, even if it's not displaying. Cut and paste the information it dumps from the EDID, and I can probably tell you if it's an EDID issue.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #12
flx89
Banned

i was thinking in buying this kind of monitor . is it any good? anything else better?
flx89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
KIAman
Diamond Member

Back 3 years ago when I got this for $200 OTD, it was the best 24" LCD I could find (and afford). It still kickin on my desk.

There are a lot of better 24" but the point is, to get anything non-TN panel, you will be spending 2-3x the money.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #14
konakona
Diamond Member

OP, did you get your PSU from player2? I contacted him but somehow got left out from the order.. I guess the wait was worth it? I guess the only game in the town now is taobao, kinda sore about not being able to get the supposedly reworked and upgraded version.
konakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #15
Doomguy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konakona View Post
OP, did you get your PSU from player2? I contacted him but somehow got left out from the order.. I guess the wait was worth it? I guess the only game in the town now is taobao, kinda sore about not being able to get the supposedly reworked and upgraded version.
Yeah, I got mine from player2. It was a very, very long wait. Hopefully an English source for the power supply comes up again.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #16
nataku00

The Soyo Topaz was a really good deal ~2.5 yrs ago. Mine is still working fine on its original power supply but I was tempted to get a back up one when the thread on slickdeals was going.
nataku00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
caddlad
Golden Member

I just ordered through Taobaodirect (same as Doomguys link above).

I bought three M24E14's, two of which are working fine. The third, at home, blinks, and eventually goes black if you don't power off/on.

I'll be glad when the new PSU arrives. This things about to send me into an epileptic fit.

caddlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
soccerballtux
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddlad View Post

I bought three M24E14's, two of which are working fine. The third, at home, blinks, and eventually goes black if you don't power off/on.

I'll be glad when the new PSU arrives. This things about to send me into an epileptic fit.

try buying a different DVI cable. That fixed a lot of peoples' problems.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #19
kmmatney
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataku00 View Post
The Soyo Topaz was a really good deal ~2.5 yrs ago. Mine is still working fine on its original power supply but I was tempted to get a back up one when the thread on slickdeals was going.
Mine is still running great after 2.5 years of daily use as well. If it went on sale tomorrow, for the same price, it would still be the best gaming monitor you can buy. I also own an NEC e-IPS 23" LCD, but the Soyo is better. Good to hear that it can be fixed if the power supply goes bad.
Soyo Topaz 24" MVA LCD
Corsair TX650W PSU / Antec P182
2 x 256GB M4 SSD
kmmatney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
kmmatney
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddlad View Post

My Soyo does a blink off/on again (lasts about 1 second) about once per day. Its been doing that for about 6 months - no big deal so far, but I hope it doesn't mean a potential problem with the power supply. It has never done it in a game - only at the windows desktop, though.
Soyo Topaz 24" MVA LCD
Corsair TX650W PSU / Antec P182
2 x 256GB M4 SSD
kmmatney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #21
konakona
Diamond Member

I recently ordered one (supposedly revised version) from taobaodirect. The total came out to be ~$35 now that they are no longer running the promotion for no minimum commission. Still quite cheap if I could revive the thing with that.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #22
sugarmyownchurro

Quote:

Thanks!
Help! I'm in need of EDID info too. Can you PM me a copy of your dump or email me at the info I pm'ed you? I'm surprised between all the threads on this monitor that there is not a single EDID dat/inf available anywhere!
sugarmyownchurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:57 AM   #23
konakona
Diamond Member

Got my PSU, installed it in my monitor and everything worked just fine

...or so I had wished going into it... when I plugged in the power and dvi cables, the blue LED came on. Windows detected the monitor and correctly identified it, but all I could see on the screen was some random vertical lines.

Disassembled the whole thing and noted there wasn't any damage to the ribbon data cable to speak of, put everything back together and same thing happened again. Worse yet, now the windows doesn't even see it and the blue LED soon turns red.

Not entirely sure on this, but I think the data board looks a bit dirty with the resin flux seemingly molten over certain places. Oh well.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #24
Emulex
Diamond Member

oh my psu just died! replaced it with this LP3065 hp . loved that old monitor but there's some unicorn action going on with 2560x1600. what to do.

how high voltage are lcd's? like a plasma/tv no way i'd mess with that
Emulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #25
marymary

I have this monitor that began malfunctioning after a storm related power outage. At 1920x1440 resolution the screen pans. I have to reduce resolution to 1680x1050 to stop the panning. It sounds like your fix would work for me. Could someone send me the needed EDID information too?

First post on your forum. Found this site by googling my issue. Looks like a great site and look forward to participating in your forums.

Mary
marymary is offline   Reply With Quote