· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-08-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
dmcowen674
No Lifer

Default Don't get sick, Government taking away your Sudafed in the name of the War on Drugs

4-8-2004 Oklahoma Restricts Cold Pill Used for Illegal Drug

Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry has signed a law that restricts sales of some popular over-the-counter cold medicines because they can be used as a key ingredient in home-cooked, illegal methamphetamine.

The law is the first of its kind in the United States and restricts the sales of cold tablets made primarily with pseudoephedrine, which is a widely used ingredient in decongestants such as Sudafed from Pfizer Inc.

We and others in the industry have been working closely with state and local officials across the country in a mutual battle to address this problem, without unduly restricting access to safe and effective medicines like Sudafed that millions of law-abiding consumers rely on," he said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
So the Law-abiding consumers have to suffer because of some losers that should just die anyway, natural population control.

We just had two children die in a trailer because the parents were cooking Meth on the stove, this Law will not stop that from happening.
dmcowen674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
gsaldivar
Diamond Member

Default RE:Don't get sick, Government taking away your Sudafed in the name of the War on Drugs

oh wait... um, looks like you CAN STILL BUY SUDAFE

Quote:
"...People buying the pills have to show identification, sign a log book and are restricted to purchasing nine grams, or 300, 30-mg tablets, a month..."
"The Sky is Falling... The Sky is Falling..."

:beer:
150,000 people are imprisoned in North Korea's brutal prison camps. From birth to death, entire generations are kept in absolute misery behind an electric fence. Please take a few minutes of your day to hear their story, and use your own voice to speak out for those who don't have one.
gsaldivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:01 PM   #3
Red Dawn
Elite Member

Default RE:Don't get sick, Government taking away your Sudafed in the name of the War on Drugs

I'm for anything that will hamper the manufacturing of Meth. That is some nasty sh!t.
Red Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:11 PM   #4
rahvin
Elite Member

Isn't the first bill of it's kind. In utah you can't buy more than one box of a sudafed containing drug (at costco, I think it's 2 boxes elsewhere). They won't sell it to you.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:13 PM   #5
cherrytwist
Diamond Member

In the city of St. Louis, they have been keeping stock of cold medicines that contain pseudoephedrine behind the counter for a couple of years. Also, stores limit the amount you can buy.

I use Advil Cold and Sinus almost daily due to allergies and sinus headaches. It's a real lifesaver. But I couldn't imagine using 300 pills/month.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I'm for anything that will hamper the manufacturing of Meth. That is some nasty sh!t.
Amen to that.
cherrytwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #6
CADsortaGUY
Lifer

Default RE: Don't get sick, Government taking away your Sudafed in the name of the War on Drugs

Iowa is doing the same thing. Meth is a huge problem. I'm not sure that will solve that but it sure will make it harder for people to make it themselves by buying OTC meds.

I fail to see where law abiding people "suffer". You go ask for Sudafed, you sign a book, and you pay for it. stretching this a bit far dave?

CkG

The US Constitution - have you read it?

Shaw Controls & Design
CADsortaGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
dmcowen674
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Iowa is doing the same thing. Meth is a huge problem. I'm not sure that will solve that but it sure will make it harder for people to make it themselves by buying OTC meds.

I fail to see where law abiding people "suffer". You go ask for Sudafed, you sign a book, and you pay for it. stretching this a bit far dave?

CkG
Yep, we need more Laws, more Laws! Like that has really helped [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2004, 12:50 PM   #8
LordMagnusKain
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Seriously, i think we can do without sudafed in order to hurt production of meth;

another great way to reduce drug-abuse would be to stop treating hallucinogenics like other drugs: something that causes a horrible disrespect for all drug laws.

Quote:
Yep, we need more Laws, more Laws! Like that has really helped
a lower supply means fewer exploding meth-labs and fewer familys and lives destroyed by this.
LordMagnusKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:13 PM   #9
Geekbabe
Moderator Emeritus
Elite Member

As a sufferer of massive allergies I use Sudafed when Claratin isn't available to me.I don't like the side effects of the drug (shaking,feeling dizzy and odd)but compared to what happens when I can't breath it needs to be readily available to me.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:17 PM   #10
Spencer278
Diamond Member

Quote:

CkG
What ever happened to personal responiblity cad?
Spencer278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:21 PM   #11
rahvin
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
As a sufferer of massive allergies I use Sudafed when Claratin isn't available to me.I don't like the side effects of the drug (shaking,feeling dizzy and odd)but compared to what happens when I can't breath it needs to be readily available to me.
It will always be available, there are simply too many people that need it. They are just restricting how much you can purchase at a time. No person needs more than 300tabs a month, that's 10 per day. If you took that much you would probably poison yourself.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
CADsortaGUY
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Quote:

CkG
WTF are you jabbering about? I fully support personal responsibility and these people who purchase these things in quantity to make meth are endangering others - just ask dave. dave keeps talking about 2 kids that died because their parents weren't responsible.

Also - I never said I supported the legislation either - I just fail to see where law abiding people "suffer" like dave says.

CkG

Shaw Controls & Design
Old 04-08-2004, 03:31 PM   #13
Spencer278
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CkG
WTF are you jabbering about? I fully support personal responsibility and these people who purchase these things in quantity to make meth are endangering others - just ask dave. dave keeps talking about 2 kids that died because their parents weren't responsible.

Also - I never said I supported the legislation either - I just fail to see where law abiding people "suffer" like dave says.

CkG
Clearly you don't support personal responisbilty or you would be oppossed to the law.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:36 PM   #14
CADsortaGUY
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CkG

CkG
Clearly you don't support personal responisbilty or you would be oppossed to the law.
Get a fresh load of hay for your straw man business today? [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Maybe you should spend a little time actually reading my post instead of ASSuming things.

CkG

Shaw Controls & Design
Old 04-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #15
HeroOfPellinor
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CkG

CkG
Personal responsibility excludes activities which harm others.

Idiot.
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens."
HeroOfPellinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #16
dmcowen674
No Lifer

Quote:
Quote:

CkG
Been replaced with Dictatorship.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:57 PM   #17
DanceMan

Quote:
Originally posted by: rahvin
Quote:
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
It will always be available, there are simply too many people that need it. They are just restricting how much you can purchase at a time. No person needs more than 300tabs a month, that's 10 per day. If you took that much you would probably poison yourself.
AFAIK, it's the only over-the-counter oral decongestant approved for use.

By the way, I think the normal dosage is 60 mg. every 4-6 hours, so that can be as many as 12 tablets per day, so 10 probably won't poison you. In fact, the prescription forms have 120 mg (although I think those are time-release).

DanceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #18
gsaldivar
Diamond Member

Quote:
[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]

You ought to spend a little more time READING what other people post, instead of trying to label people as either "with you" or "against you".

:beer:
150,000 people are imprisoned in North Korea's brutal prison camps. From birth to death, entire generations are kept in absolute misery behind an electric fence. Please take a few minutes of your day to hear their story, and use your own voice to speak out for those who don't have one.
gsaldivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:09 PM   #19
ElFenix
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Off Topic

Default RE: Don't get sick, Government taking away your Sudafed in the name of the War on Drugs

woot amphetamines!

AnandTech Mean Moderator
ElFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:29 PM   #20
Spencer278
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CkG

CkG
Personal responsibility excludes activities which harm others.

Idiot.

So who is harmed by purchasing more then 300 pills of Sudafed at one time?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #21
CADsortaGUY
Lifer

Quote:

Who do you know who purchases 300 pills of Sudafed at one time? Even at 10/day that is a month's worth. Don't mind that's probably more than dosage suggestions

But again - nothing i've said so far is to be construed as support of the legislation. I'm just pointing out the fact that there really isn't anyone who doesn't have criminal intent that will "suffer."

CkG

Shaw Controls & Design
Old 04-08-2004, 10:25 PM   #22
fitzhue
Golden Member

Well I don't really like the principle of it but I have to concede that meth is a huge problem and if i had to sign something and show some ID I really wouldn't care.
fitzhue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:31 PM   #23
Spencer278
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:

Who do you know who purchases 300 pills of Sudafed at one time? Even at 10/day that is a month's worth. Don't mind that's probably more than dosage suggestions

But again - nothing i've said so far is to be construed as support of the legislation. I'm just pointing out the fact that there really isn't anyone who doesn't have criminal intent that will "suffer."

CkG
Maybe there is a hot deal and they want to go sell the pills on ebay. Or how about if your supply of Sudafed get destoryed or stolen you would be out of luck until next month.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:47 PM   #24
nutxo
Diamond Member

It's been the same way here ( WA state) for a few years.

Damn democrats in this state! Commies!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:08 PM   #25
CADsortaGUY
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CkG
Maybe there is a hot deal and they want to go sell the pills on ebay. Or how about if your supply of Sudafed get destoryed or stolen you would be out of luck until next month.
who needs a 300 pill supply of Sudafed?

Oh, and FYI to everyone. There are other OTC drugs that can be used instead of cold medicines even though this is what the lawmakers seem to be targeting. So the druggies will have opportunity to buy mass quantities of the other drugs - just not sudafed and other cold medications. -figures-

CkG

Shaw Controls & Design