· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

Default Best place to download Win 7 .iso?

Ive heard it's legal to download and make a copy of Windows and use the code on the bottom of your laptop to activate it (obviously provided its the same laptop and version of the OS).

With that knowledge, where exactly would be the safest place to dl it from? Software recommendations to burn the image onto a disc would be appreciated too!

Thanks all!

Btw, if this is not legal, please delete!
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

It is legal to download it from places that provide it legally.

Otherwise it is illegal.

JackMDS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
berryracer
Platinum Member

Windows 7 SP1 Media Refresh Digital River Direct Links (5/12/2011 new releases with SP1 included)
Windows 7 Home Premium x86: English - Spanish - French
Windows 7 Home Premium x64: English - Spanish - French

Windows 7 Professional x86: English - Spanish - French - German - Italian - Korean - Swedish - Portuguese - Norwegian - Finnish - Dutch - Danish - Chinese
Windows 7 Professional x64: English - Spanish - French - German - Italian - Korean - Swedish - Portuguese - Norwegian - Finnish - Dutch - Danish - Chinese

Windows 7 Professional N x86: English - Spanish - French - German - Italian - Korean - Swedish - Portuguese - Norwegian - Finnish - Dutch - Danish - Chinese
Windows 7 Professional N x64: English - Spanish - French - German - Italian - Korean - Swedish - Portuguese - Norwegian - Finnish - Dutch - Danish - Chinese

Windows 7 Ultimate x86: English - Spanish - French
Windows 7 Ultimate x64: English - Spanish - French

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ISO Tools
The ei.cfg Removal Utility is a simple tool that will remove the ei.cfg from any Windows ISO disc image, thereby converting the image into a "universal disc" that will prompt the user to select an edition during setup. This tool works by toggling the deletion bit in the UDF file table, eliminating the need for unpacking and rebuilding the ISO, which means that this is extremely fast (the process of patching the ISO to remove ei.cfg takes only a fraction of a second), and the process is easily reversible (running the utility on a disc image patched by this utility will restore the disc image to its original state).

The Windows 7 ISO Image Edition Switcher is a set of small binary patches (and a tool to apply these patches) that will convert an official Windows 7 ISO disc image into an official Windows 7 ISO disc image of another edition. The resulting ISO images are bit-for-bit identical with those posted on MSDN or TechNet, and their SHA-1 hashes should match the official hashes posted by Microsoft.

You can download both tools here: http://code.kliu.org/misc/winisoutils/

ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit!
It has several 'Modes', each one for performing a different task:
Read - Read a disc to an image file
Build - Create an image file from files on your computer or network - or you can write the files directly to a disc
Write - Write an image file to a disc
Verify - Check a disc is 100% readable. Optionally, you can also have ImgBurn compare it against a given image file to ensure the actual data is correct
Discovery - Put your drive / media to the test! Used in combination with DVDInfoPro, you can check the quality of the burns your drive is producing
ImgBurn supports a wide range of image file formats - including BIN, CCD, CDI, CUE, DI, DVD, GI, IMG, ISO, MDS, NRG and PDI.

You can download the tool here: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
ORIGIN PC - MILLENNIUM | ASUS X-99 Deluxe Motherboard | Core i7 5930K @ 4.4 GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 MHz RAM | 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SLI 6GB GDDR5 RAM | Intel 750 1.2TB PCIe SSD + SanDisk Extreme PRO 960GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD + WD Red 6TB HDD | ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" G-SYNC Monitor | Windows 10 Pro

Last edited by berryracer; 02-09-2012 at 06:12 PM.
berryracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

Jeez, thanks a lot for the info! More thorough than i could have ever hoped for haha.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
zCypher
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
Windows 7 SP1 Media Refresh Digital River Direct Links (5/12/2011 new releases with SP1 included)
Windows 7 Home Premium x86: English - Spanish - French
Windows 7 Home Premium x64: English - Spanish - French

Windows 7 Professional x86: English - Spanish - French - German - Italian - Korean - Swedish - Portuguese - Norwegian - Finnish - Dutch - Danish - Chinese
Windows 7 Professional x64: English - Spanish - French - German - Italian - Korean - Swedish - Portuguese - Norwegian - Finnish - Dutch - Danish - Chinese

Windows 7 Professional N x86: English - Spanish - French - German - Italian - Korean - Swedish - Portuguese - Norwegian - Finnish - Dutch - Danish - Chinese
Windows 7 Professional N x64: English - Spanish - French - German - Italian - Korean - Swedish - Portuguese - Norwegian - Finnish - Dutch - Danish - Chinese

Windows 7 Ultimate x86: English - Spanish - French
Windows 7 Ultimate x64: English - Spanish - French

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ISO Tools
The ei.cfg Removal Utility is a simple tool that will remove the ei.cfg from any Windows ISO disc image, thereby converting the image into a "universal disc" that will prompt the user to select an edition during setup. This tool works by toggling the deletion bit in the UDF file table, eliminating the need for unpacking and rebuilding the ISO, which means that this is extremely fast (the process of patching the ISO to remove ei.cfg takes only a fraction of a second), and the process is easily reversible (running the utility on a disc image patched by this utility will restore the disc image to its original state).

The Windows 7 ISO Image Edition Switcher is a set of small binary patches (and a tool to apply these patches) that will convert an official Windows 7 ISO disc image into an official Windows 7 ISO disc image of another edition. The resulting ISO images are bit-for-bit identical with those posted on MSDN or TechNet, and their SHA-1 hashes should match the official hashes posted by Microsoft.

You can download both tools here: http://code.kliu.org/misc/winisoutils/

ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit!
It has several 'Modes', each one for performing a different task:
Read - Read a disc to an image file
Build - Create an image file from files on your computer or network - or you can write the files directly to a disc
Write - Write an image file to a disc
Verify - Check a disc is 100% readable. Optionally, you can also have ImgBurn compare it against a given image file to ensure the actual data is correct
Discovery - Put your drive / media to the test! Used in combination with DVDInfoPro, you can check the quality of the burns your drive is producing
ImgBurn supports a wide range of image file formats - including BIN, CCD, CDI, CUE, DI, DVD, GI, IMG, ISO, MDS, NRG and PDI.

You can download the tool here: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Came here to post a much less comprehensive version of this. lol
Good job
zCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #6
berryracer
Platinum Member

You're most welcome
ORIGIN PC - MILLENNIUM | ASUS X-99 Deluxe Motherboard | Core i7 5930K @ 4.4 GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 MHz RAM | 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SLI 6GB GDDR5 RAM | Intel 750 1.2TB PCIe SSD + SanDisk Extreme PRO 960GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD + WD Red 6TB HDD | ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" G-SYNC Monitor | Windows 10 Pro
Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
DirkGently1

And the Microsoft tool for creating a bootable USB install for your ISO:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool
DirkGently1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
berryracer
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGently1 View Post
And the Microsoft tool for creating a bootable USB install for your ISO:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool
thanks a lot for that man
Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
allenk09

Thanks! I have a legal Win 7 serial of my own from MSDN through my school but the discs got all scratched and I couldn't find the Windows 7 ISO anywhere. Once you buy the physical discs from MSDN you can no longer download just the ISO? Stupid.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

Seriously, matrix leader, you saved me using a copy of Win 7 ultimate i had. Thanks again!! Thanks to everyone else also!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

deleted

Last edited by ManBearPig; 02-11-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #12
berryracer
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazaam View Post
Seriously, matrix leader, you saved me using a copy of Win 7 ultimate i had. Thanks again!! Thanks to everyone else also!
Anytime bro, we are all here to help
Old 02-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Bill Brasky
Diamond Member

Wow. One thousand internets to you, sir. I'm bookmarking that mother of a post.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
Nvidiaguy07
Platinum Member

anyone know if theres a difference between the msdn iso and the digital river ones?
Nvidiaguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
berryracer
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidiaguy07 View Post
anyone know if theres a difference between the msdn iso and the digital river ones?
No difference
Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
Nvidiaguy07
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
No difference
Different hashes....

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
Nvidiaguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
Wyndru
Diamond Member

Does anyone know if these will work with laptop OEM product keys (i.e. HP or Dell)? From what I've been reading using an OEM key on the bottom of your laptop will fail and keep nagging you after 30 days for activation, but I've never tried it.

Last edited by Wyndru; 02-14-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Wyndru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndru View Post
Does anyone know if these will work with laptop OEM product keys (i.e. HP or Dell)? From what I've been reading using an OEM key on the bottom of your laptop will fail and keep nagging you after 30 days for activation, but I've never tried it.
You might have to call in. I think the phone# is harder to find than it used to be, but you should e able to track it down.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
JKoltner

At least in Windows XP, I thought that the activation program itself would give you the phone number? -- That had a bazillion of them, based on which country you were calling me.

My (one) experience with the phone-based activation people was pretty good -- they just ask you a couple of obvious/reasonable questions ("Did you delete the OS from the hard drive you removed from this laptop?"), etc. and will then proceed to give you an activation code.

(I.e., I think you'll be fine with your, "I have the legitimate OEM product key here, but lost the OEM install CD" explanation.)
JKoltner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
Wyndru
Diamond Member

So I just activated with an OEM key today, it did require that I call in. It was an automated system that just asked me to put in a string of numbers, and the system just read a bunch of numbers back to me to put into the laptop. I'm assuming that these numbers I provided contained some kind of hardware hash or something, otherwise I have no idea how this prevents piracy since it doesn't require you to explain the reasoning at all.
Wyndru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
Gs dewd

All 6 or 7 times I had to call in for my win xp machine, it was automated.
Gs dewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #22
allenk09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidiaguy07 View Post
I put in my key for 7 and it activated right online, no problems at all.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #23
RavenSEAL
Diamond Member

Those ISOs have saved me a billion times, I have my own little W7 USB when people call about their computer going down the chute.

Of course, I use whatever legal keys they provide.
AMD X6 1090T @ 3.8GHz Cooled by CM Hyper212+ P/P | Sapphire AMD HD6870 Vapor-X Crossfire @ 930/1150 | Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 | 8GBs Patriot G2 DDR3-1600Mhz | Corsair FORCE 3 90GB SSD | 1TB WD RAID0 | Antec HCG-750 | CM HAF 932

Lonely HeatWare

RavenSEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
Meghan54
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazaam View Post

Of course, you could have simply converted your Ultimate disc into a universal install disc (meaning you can load any version of Win 7 from one disc instead of separate versions dedicated to separate discs) by removing the ei.cfg file.

You can do this when you convert your disc into an .iso.

Instruction on how to accomplish this task can be read here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...sc-create.html

Then, when you boot with the disc you've burned, and choose install Win 7, you'll be presented with the entire list of all Win 7 OS's, like Premium, Ultimate, Professional, etc., instead of just the one OS version it originally was restricted to.*
-Christopher Dawson
Meghan54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #25
oynaz
Platinum Member

Matriz Leader's post belong in the hall of fame.

Can I install the English Home Premium version, and then install whatever language pack I need to localize it?
oynaz is offline   Reply With Quote