Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
BlahBlahYouToo
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 12,062
Default are CVT's more or less reliable than traditional auto trans?

you always hear about auto's crapping out around 150k miles.
how are the CVT's holding up?

do CVT's have torque converters?
BlahBlahYouToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
soccerballtux
Lifer
 
soccerballtux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahBlahYouToo View Post
you always hear about auto's crapping out around 150k miles.
how are the CVT's holding up?

do CVT's have torque converters?
150k? Stop buying American
__________________
FX-8310 @ 4.3Ghz || Gigabyte 970A-UD4P + 32GB DDR3-1600 || Crucial ARC-100 240GB || AMD Radeon HD 7849.5 || Soyo 24" PMVA Heatware
soccerballtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
kornphlake
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerballtux View Post
150k? Stop buying American
You're right, imports are so much better

2002 Honda accord
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2002/
2002 Ford Taurus
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Taurus/2002/

I thought Taurus was the one known for transmission problems???

I am not eager to jump on the CVT bandwagon just yet, most vehicles with CVTs haven't been in production long enough to reach 150k miles yet. I'll wait until CVTs have been in mass production vehicles for at least 10 years and have proven to repeatably run 150k without having problems before considering one over a conventional auto trans.

Last edited by kornphlake; 07-15-2010 at 01:07 PM.
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
CrimsonWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 862
Default

Haven't heard of any major issues with CVTs. For what it's worth Nissan doubled the warranty on their CVTs to 10 years/120,000 miles to alleviate owner concerns. I got a letter from them several months ago.

The CVT on my 2007 Versa has worked great.
CrimsonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Jumpem
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 10,056
Default

I have 28k on mine in the last year. No problems at all. I like it much more than traditional automatics. It's smooth as can be with no real gears. When it "downshifts" going up hill your RPM's only go up a hundred at a time, not a sudden thousand RPM jump.
Jumpem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Eli
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 50,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
You're right, imports are so much better

2002 Honda accord
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2002/
2002 Ford Taurus
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Taurus/2002/

I thought Taurus was the one known for transmission problems???

I am not eager to jump on the CVT bandwagon just yet, most vehicles with CVTs haven't been in production long enough to reach 150k miles yet. I'll wait until CVTs have been in mass production vehicles for at least 10 years and have proven to repeatably run 150k without having problems before considering one over a conventional auto trans.
While I agree with your sentiment, 2001-2 Civics are defective from the factory(though Honda won't admit it) and are known to die at 80k miles. My girlfriend has an '01, which fortunately lasted till... 150k. My trials and tribulations with that were well chronicled here.. lol

It seems that all manufacturers have their good and bad transmission models, just as they do engine models. GM and Toyota seem to be able to make a nice automatic transmission, though.

Unfortunately, I have no data for the OP. However, conventional wisdom would lead me to believe that they have at least the potential to be much more reliable than an automatic transmission. Fewer wear/friction parts.

Also, I would imagine that when they break, it is a much more simple(and therefor cheaper) fix than with an automatic.

One could even hope that it was in line dollar wise with a clutch replacement. That would be pretty cool, especially if they turn out to last 200k miles or more like a clutch can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpem View Post
I have 28k on mine in the last year. No problems at all. I like it much more than traditional automatics. It's smooth as can be with no real gears. When it "downshifts" going up hill your RPM's only go up a hundred at a time, not a sudden thousand RPM jump.
28k in a year? Hmm, not bad. Report back in another 5 years.
__________________
http://www.bumblebeebatteries.com

2001 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #163P - 158,388 miles and counting as of 7/2011
Best Trip - 82.0MPG over 1200 miles
2001 Honda Insight 5MT - 450,000 miles and counting as of 2/2012 (Fiancee's)
Best Trip - 92.4MPG over 400 miles
2000 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #173P, BCM Gauge, OBDIIC&C Gauge, Upgraded 8Ah battery - 227,248 miles and counting as of 10/2011
Best Trip - 83.1mpg over 458mi

Last edited by Eli; 07-15-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Plugers
Senior Member
 
Plugers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerballtux View Post
150k? Stop buying American
My 220k 95 Caprice keeps running just fine, maybe you should just do some routine maintenance.

From what I hear CVTs are great, they just haven't built them to take v8 power reliably yet. Any normal car should be fine.
__________________
Current 2001 S8 | 95 9C1 | 88 Fiero GT | 94 Sidekick td
Plugers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
Jumpem
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 10,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
28k in a year? Hmm, not bad. Report back in another 5 years.
It will be gone in two years. I usually get rid of cars in two and a half or three years, right before the 100k mile extended warranty runs out.
Jumpem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
StageLeft
No Lifer
 
StageLeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 70,215
Default

Most will have a torque convertor. The one in the Prius doesn't, though, to my knowledge, but it's a very strange transmission and not like CVTs found in other vehicles.
StageLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
LTC8K6
Lifer
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an American chemtrail
Posts: 18,950
Default

Quote:
When it "downshifts" going up hill your RPM's only go up a hundred at a time, not a sudden thousand RPM jump.
Huh? You need to buy cars with more than 3 gears...
__________________
no offense, but does he have some sort of mental dissability? -nick1985

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
exar333
Diamond Member
 
exar333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 7,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Huh? You need to buy cars with more than 3 gears...
I like sudden RPM jumps. That's what makes driving fun!
__________________
My Cars:
-2011 DGM WRX Limited
My Rig:
5820K @ 4.5 Ghz; 3500uncore; 1.3v
16GB (4x4GB) @2666mhz; 15-15-15-38; 1.35v
EVGA GTX 970 SC @ 1545c/7780m; 3440x1440 LG
exar333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
LTC8K6
Lifer
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an American chemtrail
Posts: 18,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExarKun333 View Post
I like sudden RPM jumps. That's what makes driving fun!
Yeah, if you want them you can ask for them. I prefer them to be accompanied by a nice shove forwards.
__________________
no offense, but does he have some sort of mental dissability? -nick1985

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
BlahBlahYouToo
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 12,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Huh? You need to buy cars with more than 3 gears...
maybe he likes to do 5->2 money shifts?
BlahBlahYouToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
evident
Lifer
 
evident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
You're right, imports are so much better

2002 Honda accord
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2002/
2002 Ford Taurus
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Taurus/2002/

I thought Taurus was the one known for transmission problems???

I am not eager to jump on the CVT bandwagon just yet, most vehicles with CVTs haven't been in production long enough to reach 150k miles yet. I'll wait until CVTs have been in mass production vehicles for at least 10 years and have proven to repeatably run 150k without having problems before considering one over a conventional auto trans.

cherry picking a two years of bad accord transmissions out of how many again?
evident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
rootaxs
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,469
Default

115k on a Murano. No problems yet, and don't foresee any happening in the near future. Hopefully.
rootaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
kornphlake
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evident View Post
cherry picking a two years of bad accord transmissions out of how many again?
Okay then, the problems were corrected after 2002 right?

How about the 2005 oddysey:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/O...02/index.shtml

Compared to a 2005 Chrysler van, also notorious for transmission problems:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chrysle...05/index.shtml

Hmm, how are we doing now?

Poor Honda, I'm just picking on them right?

2004 Mazda 3:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/M...04/index.shtml

2004 Dodge Neon:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/N...04/index.shtml

Am I cherry picking a little bit, you bet, although I was surprised that I could compare a Neon to a Mazda3. Every manufacturer has had their share of borked auto transmissions, with few exceptions. To make a blanket statement that all domestics are garbage and all imports are da bomb shows a degree of ignorance.
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #17
SJP0tato
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Also, I would imagine that when they break, it is a much more simple(and therefor cheaper) fix than with an automatic.

One could even hope that it was in line dollar wise with a clutch replacement. That would be pretty cool, especially if they turn out to last 200k miles or more like a clutch can.
Going by what I've read from mechanics, CVTs are un-rebuildable. There's been a few cases where people put regular ATF instead of the special Nissan fluid into theirs and completely FUBAR'd it, and the only option is buying a brand new unit.
SJP0tato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #18
Kaervak
Diamond Member
 
Kaervak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 8,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
Okay then, the problems were corrected after 2002 right?

How about the 2005 oddysey:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/O...02/index.shtml

Compared to a 2005 Chrysler van, also notorious for transmission problems:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chrysle...05/index.shtml

Hmm, how are we doing now?

Poor Honda, I'm just picking on them right?

2004 Mazda 3:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/M...04/index.shtml

2004 Dodge Neon:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/N...04/index.shtml

Am I cherry picking a little bit, you bet, although I was surprised that I could compare a Neon to a Mazda3. Every manufacturer has had their share of borked auto transmissions, with few exceptions. To make a blanket statement that all domestics are garbage and all imports are da bomb shows a degree of ignorance.
You forgot the CVT in the Saturn VUEs. Those things failed so routinely GM was sued by a ton of owners. GM even bought back a ton of VUEs with failed CVTs. Now, in their defense the CVT they used was designed and built by FIAT. A complete garbage transmission.
__________________
HeatWare
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
Jumpem
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 10,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Huh? You need to buy cars with more than 3 gears...
My last car had a five speed auto and downshifts were 800-1000 RPM jumps.
Jumpem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #20
Eli
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 50,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJP0tato View Post
Going by what I've read from mechanics, CVTs are un-rebuildable. There's been a few cases where people put regular ATF instead of the special Nissan fluid into theirs and completely FUBAR'd it, and the only option is buying a brand new unit.
Hmm.. That doesn't make much sense. I mean, anything is rebuildable technically.. Maybe it's just prohibitively expensive? That would suck. If that's the case, they had better last at least 200k miles.
__________________
http://www.bumblebeebatteries.com

2001 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #163P - 158,388 miles and counting as of 7/2011
Best Trip - 82.0MPG over 1200 miles
2001 Honda Insight 5MT - 450,000 miles and counting as of 2/2012 (Fiancee's)
Best Trip - 92.4MPG over 400 miles
2000 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #173P, BCM Gauge, OBDIIC&C Gauge, Upgraded 8Ah battery - 227,248 miles and counting as of 10/2011
Best Trip - 83.1mpg over 458mi
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #21
kornphlake
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
You forgot the CVT in the Saturn VUEs. Those things failed so routinely GM was sued by a ton of owners. GM even bought back a ton of VUEs with failed CVTs. Now, in their defense the CVT they used was designed and built by FIAT. A complete garbage transmission.
The Ford Freestyle also had a garbage CVT, it was discontinued after 3 model years and renamed the Taurus X with a conventional automatic transmission, there was not a class action law suit as far as I know, but I don't believe the Freestyle was as popular as the VUE. The Ford CVT was designed in Germany by ZF Friedchshafen apparently a significant number of parts used to assemble the transmission came from Germany as it was stamped "Made in Germany" despite being assembled in the USA.
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #22
kornphlake
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Hmm.. That doesn't make much sense. I mean, anything is rebuildable technically.. Maybe it's just prohibitively expensive? That would suck. If that's the case, they had better last at least 200k miles.
Some things can't be dissasembled without destroying a major portion of the components. If I had a plastic water pistol with a broken pump I could cut the housing in half, remove the tube that connects the pump to the nozzle and reuse that part in the assembly of a new water pistol from a majority of new parts, but I wouldn't consider reusing one piece in an assembly rebuilding, I'd call it recycling.

The CVT used in the Ford Freestyle cost $6000 to replace, I don't know if it was rebuildable, but parts were not available the only available part through Ford was a complete transmission.
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #23
TraumaRN
Diamond Member
 
TraumaRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Downriver
Posts: 6,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoorb View Post
Most will have a torque convertor. The one in the Prius doesn't, though, to my knowledge, but it's a very strange transmission and not like CVTs found in other vehicles.
Nor does any hybrid built by Ford or Toyota.

It's more of a PST(power-split transmission) than a CVT. It's "CVT like" but nothing like a traditional CVT.

But unless someone wants more details I'll spare the technical details for now.
__________________
Why is the FBI asking us for your IP?
AnandTech Moderator


TraumaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:57 AM   #24
LTC8K6
Lifer
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under an American chemtrail
Posts: 18,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpem View Post
My last car had a five speed auto and downshifts were 800-1000 RPM jumps.
Just from going up a hill?

Most autos will just drop out of overdrive.

Have to be a big hill to require a sudden 1K jump, as claimed, imo. And if it's a big hill, then the jump is expected, and if you had a manual, you'd also be rowing.
__________________
no offense, but does he have some sort of mental dissability? -nick1985

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #25
Viperoni
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 11,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugers View Post
My 220k 95 Caprice keeps running just fine, maybe you should just do some routine maintenance.
Fluke, the 4L60E's aren't normally strong behind an LT1.
Or you have the 4.3L
__________________
2006 Saturn Ion Redline - new daily
2005 Toyota Echo RS hatch - bad cylinder @ 153k
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Alpha 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.