· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-27-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
TheGizmo
Diamond Member

Default Where to buy a Tri-Wing Screwdriver (Ie. Nintendo Wii Proprietary screwdriver)?? local please

I need a screwdriver to open up my nintendo wii, its in the shape of a Y or a peace sign, except each of the 3 wings are equi-distant from eachother and equal in legnth. Kind of like philips but philips has 4 wings, this has 3. Anyone know where to buy one?

I already tried HOme Depot and Radio Shack with no luck.. I did find it online but I'd rather get it locally as this will be my weakend project.

update: tried Ace Hardware as well.. i've found a few places that carry the bit for a drill but that won't fit into the hole that the screw is in unfortunately, so I'll have to find an actual screw driver.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Leros
Lifer

Default Where to buy a Tri-Fly Screwdriver (Ie. Nintendo Wii Proprietary screwdriver)?? local please

Try sears?
Leros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
doze
Platinum Member

Default Where to buy a Tri-Fly Screwdriver (Ie. Nintendo Wii Proprietary screwdriver)?? local please

Try sears, lots of craftsman screwdrivers
doze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
Soapy Bones

Ace Hardware or True Value will almost for sure have it.
Soapy Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
TheGizmo
Diamond Member

Default Where to buy a Tri-Wing Screwdriver (Ie. Nintendo Wii Proprietary screwdriver)?? local please

i'll try Ace, they're right around the corner Thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
eelw
Diamond Member

Triwing screwdrivers are normally only available online. People have had success cutting a philips head screwdriver so its only a single V. But to avoid stripping any screwheads, just spend the $10-15 to order one online.
(\__/)(\__/)
(='.'=)(='.'=)
(")_(")(")_(")
eelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
FreshCrabLegs
Golden Member

Sears has them.
Craftsman 32 pc. Security Screwdriver and Bit Set
Sears item #00947486000 Mfr. model #47486
Tri-wing Screw Bits

(Sorry, can't link page correctly)
FreshCrabLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
mugs
Lifer

I got mine at Play-Asia.com I think. Reasonably quick. If you felt like driving a bit, I could lend it to you. Or if you want I could mail it to you and you could mail it back.

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
TheGizmo
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: PCMarcelino
Sears has them.
Craftsman 32 pc. Security Screwdriver and Bit Set
Sears item #00947486000 Mfr. model #47486
Tri-wing Screw Bits

(Sorry, can't link page correctly)
thanks for the effort, but unfortunately that is a bit that fits in a screwdriver or a drill.... the nintendo has the screw thats dipped down into a plastic casing that the bit won't fint into.. only a thinner screw driver will fit into the casing :-/ sucks.,.. just got back from Ace Hardware, and had the same problem there... they only have the bit
Old 04-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
mugs
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: mugs
I got mine at Play-Asia.com I think. Reasonably quick. If you felt like driving a bit, I could lend it to you. Or if you want I could mail it to you and you could mail it back.

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #11
TheGizmo
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
oh sweet i might have to take you up on that offer, thats real nice of you. I m gonna see what I Can dig up in the area tomorrow and if nothing I'll definately take you up on that. Thanks mugs :beer: for you
Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #12
TheGizmo
Diamond Member

bump for the night crew....... anyone ever buy one of these from a store? i found it for $6 shipped via internet but i'd still rather try to get it done this weakend instead. mugs thanks for the offer, but it'll cost me more for you to mail it to me and me ship it back then buying one from play-asia. i do appreciate the offer though, that was nice of you. if you ever venture to south jersey we should get a beer
Old 04-27-2007, 10:31 PM   #13
biggestmuff
Diamond Member

Craftsman and Lisle make the part you need. Try Sears, Ace, Napa, or any other parts stores.

Heat

Μολὼν λαβέ
biggestmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
TheGizmo
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Craftsman and Lisle make the part you need. Try Sears, Ace, Napa, or any other parts stores.
i'll check out sears tomorrow, tried Ace already.. is the part you're speaking of the bit for a driver or the actual screw driver? i've found the bit locally, but it won't fit into the hole that nintendo made.. its like a deep hole that will only allow a thin screwdriver to fit into, about 2 inches deep before the screw head. thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 11:36 PM   #15
ShotgunSteven
Lifer

eBay. Same screws that Nintendo puts on most of their hardware including the portables, if I recall correctly.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #16
TheGizmo
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
eBay. Same screws that Nintendo puts on most of their hardware including the portables, if I recall correctly.
yea well like i mentioned two or three times in this thread, ive found it online in multiple places but im trying to find it locally so i have a project for the weakened.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #17
eelw
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheGizmo
Quote:
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
i'll check out sears tomorrow, tried Ace already.. is the part you're speaking of the bit for a driver or the actual screw driver? i've found the bit locally, but it won't fit into the hole that nintendo made.. its like a deep hole that will only allow a thin screwdriver to fit into, about 2 inches deep before the screw head. thanks
Just do what I did, I trimmed with a blade the plastic away to make that hole larger so the triwing tip fit.
(\__/)(\__/)
(='.'=)(='.'=)
(")_(")(")_(")
eelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:24 AM   #18
KPACOTKA

I have Y shape screwdriver but do not remember where I got it. Hopefully I'll find Wii.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:32 AM   #19
skywhr
Diamond Member

security bit? sears has both sets
Old 04-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #20
slugg
Diamond Member

you can melt a bic pen into the shape and it worked for me when i modded a gamecube...

http://www.ps2fliptop.net/how_to_mak...amebit_scr.htm

enjoy
  • 2002 Mazda Protege - (Work in progress)
slugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #21
tomt4535
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: slugg
you can melt a bic pen into the shape and it worked for me when i modded a gamecube...

enjoy
haha thats so crazy, but i bet it works great
tomt4535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:55 AM   #22
TheGizmo
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: slugg

enjoy
oh that is a pretty good idea.. unfortunately I just bought one on eBay before I read this.. I think i'll just wait for it, as I won't have much free time again til this weakend. Good tip to know though, for other screws in the future.. thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 07:02 AM   #23
Kaido
Lifer

100-piece Security Bit set for $5.99

Harbor Freight to the rescue
Old 04-30-2007, 07:13 AM   #24
SirStev0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Kaido

that looks like a winner

Franklin: like hell i am, what are we going there for?
Hopkins: for the whoring and the drinking!

wwjd... for a klondike bar...
SirStev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:54 AM   #25
Kaido
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Quote:
Originally posted by: Kaido

that looks like a winner
Yeah, you can open anything with this set. Xbox, Wii, whatever. It's a cheap set of bits, but since you'll only be working on plastic game systems it's not a big deal.