· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
Doggiedog
Lifer

Default What country, civilization, culture, or race do you think has contributed most to modern society?

It can be anything, positive or negative. Medicine, engineering, religion, technology, girls, whatever.

Discuss.
i7 2600K @ 4.43Ghz/1.35v, Asus P8Z68 Pro, 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, Samsung Evo 840 500GB SSD, Corsair F120 SSD <Dead>, 2x3TB 7200.14 RAID, 2x1TB 7200.11, Asus GTX 770 4GB, Seasonic X-660, CM Hyper 212+, Antec 300 Illusion, HP ZR24w, Dell U2412W, Acer AL2416W, Win7 x64 HP
Doggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
loup garou
Lifer

Default What country, civilization, culture, or race do you think has contributed most to modern society?

Aliens
loup garou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
Zim Hosein
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: loup garou
Aliens
I concur :beer:

AT Forum Guidelines | HeatWare | "Unfortunately, thousands die every year waiting for a donor organ that never comes. You have the power to change that, visit: OrganDonor.gov & Learn The Facts, The Need Is Real." | TeAm AnandTech Distributed Computing
Zim Hosein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
TheoPetro
Banned

mayans in south america they developed the comcept of zero
TheoPetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #5
kogase
Diamond Member

Germans. Damn good food, best music, best literature, Einstein (although I guess we'd have to throw Jews into the mix with that)... Hitler.
kogase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
kogase
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheoPetro
myans in south america they developed the comcept of zero
Wow, Mayans really got the bottom of the barrel when they picked for the "Things my culture is good at" list.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
dethman
Lifer

china. i dont know why.

M3 911

Heatware
dethman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #8
ed21x
Diamond Member

It really depends on where you are:

In the West:
Civilization: European
Culture: European

East:
Civilization: Asian
Culture: Asian

ed21x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
Shawn
Lifer

The Greeks and Romans contributed an awful lot.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:06 PM   #10
chambersc
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kogase
Germans. Damn good food, best music, best literature, Einstein (although I guess we'd have to throw Jews into the mix with that)... Hitler.
seconded
chambersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
Turkish
Lifer

You guys gotta be kiddin. Romans for sure.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:09 PM   #12
Epic Fail
Diamond Member

Vatican City
Epic Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:09 PM   #13
raildogg
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: chambersc
Quote:
seconded
Also people that caused 50-100 million deaths in the 20th century, almost wiped an entire race, destroyed tremendous amounts of historical items, distorted history, brainwashed a whole entire generation, caused so much misery worldwide.

I guess good food, best music, best literature, Einstein definately offset that.

Wait, the Germans have the best music?

My systems
raildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #14
necine
Diamond Member

Romans.
necine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #15
kogase
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: raildogg
Quote:
Quote:
seconded
Also people that caused 50-100 million deaths in the 20th century, almost wiped an entire race, destroyed tremendous amounts of historical items, distorted history, brainwashed a whole entire generation, caused so much misery worldwide.

I guess good food, best music, best literature, Einstein definately offset that.

Oh, aren't you a Negative Nancy? Sure, focus on all the bad. You know, the Greeks and the Romans, not to mention the Jews (read the Old Testament) weren't all peaches and cream and sweet chocolate dreams, they did some pretty fvcked up sh|t in their day.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #16
raildogg
Lifer

Umm, I don't it is possible to know. Some have contributed more in some ways while others have contributed in other ways. If everyone contributed equally, then things wouldn't be right. People who you think don't contribute much actually do.

My systems
Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #17
imported_Scourge

Canada.
imported_Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #18
raildogg
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
seconded

Oh, aren't you a Negative Nancy? Sure, focus on all the bad. You know, the Greeks and the Romans, not to mention the Jews (read the Old Testament) weren't all peaches and cream and sweet chocolate dreams, they did some pretty fvcked up sh|t in their day.
No, but your points are solely based on opinion.

Good food? That is your opinion and I'm sure it is in the minority. Best music? Highly doubtful. Best literature? Compared to what?

They do have a foothold in the sciences and technology, at least they did.

My systems
Old 04-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #19
AlienCraft
Lifer

The Chinese.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #20
Proletariat
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheoPetro
mayans in south america they developed the comcept of zero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_(number)
Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:17 PM   #21
kogase
Diamond Member

Quote:
Good food? That is your opinion and I'm sure it is in the minority. Best music? Highly doubtful. Best literature? Compared to what?

They do have a foothold in the sciences and technology.
Notice I said "damn good" for food rather than perfect?

Best music... Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Wagner, Mahler, Strauss (two of them), Schoenberg, the list goes on and on. Unless, of course, you're someone who thinks Aerosmith and Styx made the greatest musical contribution in recorded history... well, you're welcome to your opinion. Best literature, compared to... what? The rest of the world.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #22
fitzov
Platinum Member

What, you never saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding?
fitzov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #23
raildogg
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:

Best music... Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Wagner, Mahler, Strauss (two of them), Schoenberg, the list goes on and on. Unless, of course, you're someone who thinks Aerosmith and Styx made the greatest musical contribution in recorded history... well, you're welcome to your opinion. Best literature, compared to... what? The rest of the world.
Most people don't listen to those people you listed, but that doesn't mean much. They did produced great music and have influenced artists worldwide. But artists from from other places influence artists in other ways as well. Look at everything broadly. Aerosmith? Nah, I prefer Britney Spears.

Tell a person in Nepal how great Bach is. Or tell a person in India how great Wagner is. Just because they don't know about these people doesn't mean they contributed any less. I'm sure a person from Russia will tell you how great their musicians are.

Literature? Well, we can list all the pieces of literature from every country and debate about that.

I still don't think one country or civilization has contributed more than any other. They all contribute in different ways.

My systems
Old 04-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #24
Kelvrick
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: necine
Romans.
I think Romans were amazing and probably accomplished the most on their own, but for total contributino, I don't know...

They did collapse and basically take all of their advances with them only to be discovered later, so I don't know how much they actually contributed.

Trying hard not to troll. Don't make it hard on me.
Kelvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #25
kogase
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Best music... Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Wagner, Mahler, Strauss (two of them), Schoenberg, the list goes on and on. Unless, of course, you're someone who thinks Aerosmith and Styx made the greatest musical contribution in recorded history... well, you're welcome to your opinion. Best literature, compared to... what? The rest of the world.
Most people don't listen to those people you listed. They did produce great music and have influenced artists worldwide. But artists from from other places influence artists in other ways as well. Look at everything broadly. Aerosmith? Nah, I prefer Britney Spears.

Literature? Well, we can list all the pieces of literature from every country and debate about that.

I still don't think one country or civilization has contributed more than any other. They all contribute in different ways.
Obviously this thread is going to be rife with opionated claptrap, so I'm giving you mine. What's the problem? One country has not contributed more than any other? Maybe, but a handful of countries sure contributed a hell of a lot more than the remaining 20394802. Germany happens to be my favorite.

Also, the composers (there are plenty more prolific and beloved German composers) I listed... Germany has contributed a great number of very influential, accomplished, and critically aclaimed composers. Even if other countries have a few oustanding composers/musicians, I can't think of any (without the possible exception of America), who match Germany in sheer number and influence.