BBQ

car:
2010 CBM Mazdaspeed3
punjabiplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
TehMac
Diamond Member

Default Caparo and Camaro

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like this guy was driving the automatic version, you're never going to get that connection with driving an automatic. However, it's his opinion, so maybe he was driving a manual. He mentioned being in 3rd, but I imagine if you're good with an auto, you can tell what gear you're in.

Secondly, good points about the styling, that is what you're paying for, as well as some pretty nice V6 and V8 engines.
TehMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Fmr12B
Diamond Member

Car & Driver posted their Camaro SS review today

http://www.caranddriver.com/re...8_short_take_road_test

Fmr12B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
Bignate603
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: TehMac
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like this guy was driving the automatic version, you're never going to get that connection with driving an automatic. However, it's his opinion, so maybe he was driving a manual. He mentioned being in 3rd, but I imagine if you're good with an auto, you can tell what gear you're in.

Secondly, good points about the styling, that is what you're paying for, as well as some pretty nice V6 and V8 engines.
I think they drove multiple cars, one with the V6 and auto and then another with the V8.

Honestly I'm not too surprised about the comments on the handling. This was a car that was produced under some severe limits on budget and personnel. I can guarantee that those limits didn't allow them as much refinement as they would have liked. That being said, you might see a better tuned suspension in the next year or two as they have a bit of time. If this sells as well as many think it might this will bring a bit of cash in for GM and they'll be wanting make sure it will continue to be a money maker for them.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
TehMac
Diamond Member

Well, the Z28 is canceled, so there goes whatever interest I had in the platform. Frankly though, I think you're quite right, a lot of this has to do with budget restraints, I'm surprised they were even able to make the thing come out and perform the way it does. Still though, if I recall, 43k is GT500 territory, which reaches 0-60 in around 4.7-.9 seconds. The Cobra does resemble a phallus though, so I guess a Camaro would be a better bet.

Personally, I'd get myself a tuner muscle car, I don't care much for the straight outta the factory shit. Muscle cars are meant to be played with. Imma get one of these gas guzzlers:
http://www.motorauthority.com/...nger-and-cuda-005.html

Oh baby
Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Gillbot
Lifer

Quote:
Well, the Z28 is canceled, so there goes whatever interest I had in the platform. Frankly though, I think you're quite right, a lot of this has to do with budget restraints, I'm surprised they were even able to make the thing come out and perform the way it does. Still though, if I recall, 43k is GT500 territory, which reaches 0-60 in around 4.7-.9 seconds. The Cobra does resemble a phallus though, so I guess a Camaro would be a better bet.

Personally, I'd get myself a tuner muscle car, I don't care much for the straight outta the factory shit. Muscle cars are meant to be played with. Imma get one of these gas guzzlers:
http://www.motorauthority.com/...nger-and-cuda-005.html

Oh baby
+1, I Think GM knows their back is against the wall now because they can't produce what they need to anymore. Many were waiting for the Z28 and now that it's cancelled, they won't splurge for the SS but likely skip the platform entirely.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
TehMac
Diamond Member

I don't know, it depends. Most people will buy the V6, with 300 hp, that's a splendid deal, you're getting great interior, performance that rivals the Mustang GT (why are these cars so weak, I love them, but they're "muscle-car lite" they didn't use to be), and a decent interior.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
Bignate603
Lifer

Quote:
I don't know, it depends. Most people will buy the V6, with 300 hp, that's a splendid deal, you're getting great interior, performance that rivals the Mustang GT (why are these cars so weak, I love them, but they're "muscle-car lite" they didn't use to be), and a decent interior.
I agree. Just like the Mustang the majority of sales will be the base drive train. IMHO the base model Camaro is better than the base model Mustang. It has good looks, more power, and better mileage. That should make them sell a decent amount of cars.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
TehMac
Diamond Member

Well, in a perfect world, it'd make more sense, but a lot of people always rush rush to the best thing they can get their hands on now without any thought of the future. Pretty big reason why we're in the mess we are.

If I recall, the V6 Camaro should go for around 22k, which is around the same price as a V6 Mustang?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
thedarkwolf
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well, in a perfect world, it'd make more sense, but a lot of people always rush rush to the best thing they can get their hands on now without any thought of the future. Pretty big reason why we're in the mess we are.

If I recall, the V6 Camaro should go for around 22k, which is around the same price as a V6 Mustang?
$20k. The camaro has usually been the more power full better handling car over the years. The problem was everything else SUCKED so the people that bought the v6 versions, which were most people, and didn't care about handling and power bought mustangs and the camaro died.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
Gillbot
Lifer

the V6 is still overpriced.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
PricklyPete
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Gillbot
what? 23K for 300 hp? Where else are you going to get that horsepower for that money?

"I just wish, that at road speeds, it would occasionally put its hand down the front of my trousers and have a little rummage." - Clarkson on the GT-R
PricklyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
TehMac
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
Quote:

$20k. The camaro has usually been the more power full better handling car over the years. The problem was everything else SUCKED so the people that bought the v6 versions, which were most people, and didn't care about handling and power bought mustangs and the camaro died.
That does make sense. I am afraid it's going to be the same case this time around. People are looking for something mildly sporty, and Mustang delivers, the Camaro looks great, but sadly, most people who tend to buy muscle car lites are females and high school peeps; I don't think the people who'd really want a Camaro would get one, and everyone else would get a mustang v6.

Shame, but I have a feeling that's how it'd go.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
Apex
Diamond Member

Wow, that T1 is nuts.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
Gillbot
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
Quote:
Originally posted by: Gillbot
what? 23K for 300 hp? Where else are you going to get that horsepower for that money?
who cares about HP per $, GM is notorious for putting great motors in horrible cars.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #16
Marlin1975
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That does make sense. I am afraid it's going to be the same case this time around. People are looking for something mildly sporty, and Mustang delivers, the Camaro looks great, but sadly, most people who tend to buy muscle car lites are females and high school peeps; I don't think the people who'd really want a Camaro would get one, and everyone else would get a mustang v6.

Shame, but I have a feeling that's how it'd go.

Yep he is right about the female part. Power is not a major item for most mustang/F-Body owners. GM lost the F-Body vs Mustang war as they kept advertising all the V8 power and dark looks etc... while Ford advertised how much fun the Mustang is, drop the top, take the girls out for the weekend, etc... and won. The reason? The number 1 owner of Mustangs/Fbodies is female and they bought V6's. I think the major things they wanted was fun, good looks, etc... power was up on some test but even then the ones that said they wanted power said the V6 was plenty and V8 was overkill, even those that did get the V8.

My mom has a Camaro and did not want the V8. The only reason she got the V8 was my dad wanted it and he does not even drive it much. She wishs she had got the V6 for gas milage and price now.

People like to talk about power and V8's and so on but the buyer wants fun, decent gas milage, image, etc... GM putting a 300+ HP V6 in the camaro should help it a bit. They need to make sure it is reliable and also come out with a drop top that does not cost to much if they want to win.

Quote:
Originally posted by: spidey07
No muslims, no athiests, no gays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
I'm proud to be a racist now. VERY proud.
Marlin1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
ElFenix
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Off Topic

Quote:

iirc, it was really only the 90s where the camaro had a clear power advantage over the mustang.

and the jalopnik article says the V6 camaro will be $22,995 MSRP. that's 2 grand more than the mustang's base price.

AnandTech Mean Moderator
ElFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
postmortemIA
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Quote:

iirc, it was really only the 90s where the camaro had a clear power advantage over the mustang.

and the jalopnik article says the V6 camaro will be $22,995 MSRP. that's 2 grand more than the mustang's base price.
so? at least camaro's V6 has decent output, ~300HP, which you can't say for 4.0L 210HP engine in mustang. they didn't even bother to make it better for new 2010 mustang. What a half-assed effort: that engine probably is worst V6 you can get today: it has highest displacement and lowest output at same time.

I'd pay $2000 for 90 more HP.

postmortemIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #19
LordMorpheus
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: postmortemIA
Quote:
Quote:

so? at least camaro's V6 has decent output, ~300HP, which you can't say for 4.0L 210HP engine in mustang. they didn't even bother to make it better for new 2010 mustang. What a half-assed effort: that engine probably is worst V6 you can get today: it has highest displacement and lowest output at same time.

Ford has been screwing around with the new model having the old model's engines for a year or so before an update. I'm surprised they managed to get the 3V modular V8 into the new 2005 year mustang, actually.

In a couple years we will see Ford's new engines in the mustang, things like the ecoboost V6 that's going to make 365 horsepower in the Taurus SHO, and then things will be very nice indeed.

Why they couldn't have launched the new 2010 with the new engines is beyond me, though.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
-- Neal Stephenson
LordMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #20
ElFenix
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by: postmortemIA
Quote:
Quote:

the 'so' is correcting the previous poster's incorrect statement, not an argument.

AnandTech Mean Moderator
ElFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #21
LTC8K6
Lifer

SYNC is impressive, and you can get a real NAV system in the Ford.

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #22
PlasmaBomb
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Apex
Wow, that T1 is nuts.

Yup.

I presume that is $36k for the options?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #23
Apex
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: PlasmaBomb
Quote:
Originally posted by: Apex
Wow, that T1 is nuts.

Yup.

I presume that is $36k for the options?
Haha, indeed.

Here's the story in pictures from the beginning:

http://www.nobleforums.com/showthread.php?t=820

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #24
big man

Quote:
Originally posted by: punjabiplaya
http://www.topgear.com/us/blog/more/caparo-gets-hotter/

36K for a canopy and air conditioning?!

http://jalopnik.com/5176993/20...evy-camaro-first-drive

Handles well, but steering is numb
Interior is cheap (duh)
Looks great
Engines are great

3.5L v8 is the same race engine plucked straight from an indy car!!

i'd never buy a "sports car" that weighs one fat american shy of 2 tons
big man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #25
Fenixgoon
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: big man
Quote:
Originally posted by: punjabiplaya
http://www.topgear.com/us/blog/more/caparo-gets-hotter/

36K for a canopy and air conditioning?!

http://jalopnik.com/5176993/20...evy-camaro-first-drive

Handles well, but steering is numb
Interior is cheap (duh)
Looks great
Engines are great

3.5L v8 is the same race engine plucked straight from an indy car!!

i'd never buy a "sports car" that weighs one fat american shy of 2 tons
yes, a sports car that seats 4, has an awesome V8, and still handles well :roll:
if you want a *real* sports car, then you're going to pay for it. simple as that.

less armchair engineering, more put your money where your mouth is.