· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Nizology

Default New Star Wars: The Old Republic trailer

First look at UI, dialogue wheel and gameplay footage. Can't wait!

Video
Nizology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
zerocool84
Lifer

MMO = fail for me but not fail for all the geeks in the world
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
spittledip
Diamond Member

hm those are some bad graphics
Old 07-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: zerocool84
You realize this is 8 different SP Bioware Star Wars games rolled into one with an optional teaming/PvP component, right?
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Udgnim
Diamond Member

eh character models look pretty laughable

also not so sure about some of the voice actors
Udgnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Sylvanas
Diamond Member

Some of the voice actors are pretty terrible like that 'badass bounty hunter' guy was. Graphics are meh, but I wouldn't expect much from a large scale MMO, Bioware are going for what Blizzard did an targeting the largest audience possible which means dumbing it down for all those ppl playing on Athlon 64 3200's. Gameplay looks quite good imo, at least it's not the same hack and slash animation over and over. But still, if they wanted to do a great story which they keep going on about in the video it's infinitely better to do it in an RPG and not an MMO- a full fledged Kotor 3 would be awesome and would sell well = win/win.
Corei7 920 D0 @ 4GHZ || Gigabyte X58 UD3R || Gainward GTX 580 || ECS GTS 250 (PhysX) || 6GB Patriot 1600mhz 8-8-8-20 || OCZ Agility SSD 120GB || Antec Truepower Quattro 850w || Auzentech X-FI Forte || CoolerMaster Elite 430 || Alienware AW2310 120hz ||
Sylvanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Chriscross3234

Honestly, I'm glad to see that they are not creating breakthrough graphics for an MMO, for that I'll go play Crysis :roll:. I'm glad to see that they are really trying to focus on the dialogue and story, I've wondered how cool games like BG2 would of been if they did everything with a voiceover. I'm still a little skeptical, but very hopeful, about this game and I hope it doesn't turn out to be another WoW. It's going to be hard for them to design this game that is supposedly based on story and content when it still is an MMO and the biggest mentality people have in MMO's is "omg i need leet gear".
Chriscross3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: s44
Quote:
You realize this is 8 different SP Bioware Star Wars games rolled into one with an optional teaming/PvP component, right?
It's a MMO. Nuff said.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
mmntech
Lifer

Quote:
QFT. It's just another way to suck more money out of gamers by making them pay to keep playing. Might as well just go back to feeding quarters into the machine.

The graphics are dated but then again, so were those from KOTOR 1 & 2. Those were great games. We won't know until we see substance in the form of actual gameplay.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
coloumb
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nizology
First look at UI, dialogue wheel and gameplay footage. Can't wait!

Video

For all the nay sayers:

I think the graphics look pretty good for an MMO. What will make the game great is the back end and developing story unique to each class. I'd guess most of the videos we are being shown are from the "single player" campaign of the MMO [which by all aspects from the latest video looks like it's part of a quest centered around the class you are currently playing].

Voice Overs - That's one annoyance most other MMO's suffer - stupid dialogue boxes. Hopefully they won't allow those with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) to just "space bar / click" their way pass the dialogue else we'll see a lot of "WTF do I do here?!?!?" global chats.

What will make/break the game will be the end game - hopefully it won't turn into a "who has the l33tist gear from raiding the same dungeon over and over and over and over and over and over and over again or an epic rare CDF pistol with uberOMFGpoision". I'm hoping for an open sand box style end game that SWG had before SOE screwed the pooch [right before player jedi were announced]
Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
TheVrolok
Lifer

marked for later
Old 07-18-2009, 03:10 AM   #12
datalink7
Lifer

I think the graphics look great for a MMO. Looking forward to this.
And I am lost and I can't even say why
Leavin' me lonely still
datalink7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:24 AM   #13
Koudelka

At around 1:55 the dude says SWTOR is probably the most ambitious voice over project ever in the entertainment industry...

I could not help but laugh at this guy.

Graphics are ok, gameplay didnt seem so interesting, seems like an average MMO that should have come out 5 years ago.

BUT, the voice actors are garbage.. its obvious they just grabbed the first people they could find. They sound so mechanical and fake.

I hate to bash the game, but who gives a shit if your game is entirely in voice overs.. if the voice overs sound like shit and completely take away from any immersive feeling?

I hate extremely high hopes for this game.. but this trailer just makes it look.. average at best. They need to step back, realize what theyre recording, and hire some new talent.
Koudelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #14
Arglebargle

It is Bioware, but...

Personally, I think the voiceover-for-everything schtick is way more trouble than it's worth. And some of those voices did sound unimpressive. Also, kinda flat, just like it was recorded in a vocal booth. No reverb fitting the location. It does give them a talking point of difference though. ;-)

Also, when you use text, your imagination supplys the voice: Here, they nail it down. And I think you'd have a sizeable number of people who wouldn't play particular types due to the voicing. Like that bumpus bounty hunter. Of course, they could offer choices of voicing, which would be good. Otherwise everyone sounds the same.

Consider the amount of extra work any addition is going to add. Everything fully voiced. The graphics don't bother me as much. MMOs have to consider the condition of the internet all over the place, and also have to consider play on mediocre gaming systems.

Still, as SWG showed, the fans will put up with any manner of ill-formed or maladjusted game. If Bioware keeps it to even the middling levels of quality, it could be a hit It is Bioware....
Arglebargle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #15
Mem
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Arglebargle
It is Bioware, but...

Personally, I think the voiceover-for-everything schtick is way more trouble than it's worth. And some of those voices did sound unimpressive. Also, kinda flat, just like it was recorded in a vocal booth. No reverb fitting the location. It does give them a talking point of difference though. ;-)

Also, when you use text, your imagination supplys the voice: Here, they nail it down. And I think you'd have a sizeable number of people who wouldn't play particular types due to the voicing. Like that bumpus bounty hunter. Of course, they could offer choices of voicing, which would be good. Otherwise everyone sounds the same.

Consider the amount of extra work any addition is going to add. Everything fully voiced. The graphics don't bother me as much. MMOs have to consider the condition of the internet all over the place, and also have to consider play on mediocre gaming systems.

Still, as SWG showed, the fans will put up with any manner of ill-formed or maladjusted game. If Bioware keeps it to even the middling levels of quality, it could be a hit It is Bioware....
Actually you are wrong,when NGE came to SWG 90% left,the guild I was in had over 120 people which all left thanks to NGE,SWG became a ghost town on most servers after that,anyway getting back on topic the graphics in TOR look ok for a MMORPG,gameplay is more important so we just have to see how that pans out.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
Fox5
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: s44
Quote:
Sounds like the kind of wishful thinking fans have had about every mmo ever.
Where do you get 8 different single player games from though?

Also, the graphics look like the old KOTOR....or maybe Mass Effect.

heatware
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=35565
Fox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
drebo
Diamond Member

Taking a fundamentally singleplayer game, such as this, and slapping other players into it does not make an MMO. This is going to have the exact same shortfalls of WAR, WoW, AoC, and SWG. It's a linear hack-and-slash game. One of two things will happen: they'll make everything instanced (in which case it'll turn into Guild Wars) so that you won't have to stand around for hours waiting for your turn to kill Mob X with fifteen other people who all need to kill Mob X because you have to kill Mob X before you can move on to the next area/quest/story; or, people will be stuck standing around for hours waiting for their turn to kill Mob X with fifteen other people who all need to kill Mob X because you have to kill Mob X before you can move on to the next area/quest/story.

MMOs should not be story-driven. It's fundamentally counterintuitive to the purpose of an MMO. MMOs are supposed to provide immersion through social and environmental aspects. They're supposed to be sandbox games. Why would I pay to play a game where everyone has the exact same path through the game? If I wanted that, I'd play a single-player game. In an MMO, I want to be able to choose who I am, where I start, what I do, and how I get through the game. If I want to be a pure merchant/crafter, I should be able to play the game for years without ever lifting a weapon. People wonder why the MMO market is so bad...it's because there's no variety anymore. The game is the same for everyone, regardless of what class or race or side you are playing on.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #18
BenSkywalker
Elite Member

Quote:
Where do you get 8 different single player games from though?
Each class has a start to end game level quest line with no shared quests between any of the classes or factions.

Quote:
People wonder why the MMO market is so bad
The MMO market is the overwhelming driving force behind PC gaming atm. As far as your ideas as the only ways to do things, we can certainly tell why you aren't producing a MMO yourself There are lots of different ways of handling how to have a story driven MMO, I've been quite impressed with the fairly detailed explenations they have offered on how they are going to pull it off.
BenSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #19
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
Each class has a start to end game level quest line with no shared quests between any of the classes or factions.
Other players in your faction can join/help you in one of your quests though. Plus I assume there will be specific faction v faction PvP scenarios.

Everybody should read this interview if they haven't.
Quote:
Lead Designer Daniel Erickson
Because we did all class-specific stories for The Old Republic, we?ve allowed ourselves to basically make, ?Knights of the Old Republic: The Smuggler,? its own game. Everything in there, when you?re playing a Smuggler, you feel like a Smuggler.

The adventures are crazy, and madcap, and you?re flying by the seat of your pants, and there?s romantic stuff, and you?re spouting off crazy one-liners, etc., etc.

Then, when you?re playing as a Sith, it?s a completely different game. Everything is from that perspective, you come from a very dark world, you?re on Korriban, you?re dealing with Sith politics, you?re dealing with some very, very dark people who are allowed to do anything they want.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #20
brblx
Diamond Member

glurg. this looks like kotor with slightly updated cartoon graphics. i'm normally all for voiceovers and think it's pathetic that none of the MMO's seem to have them beyond a few select levels, but this just looks like WoW + star wars + voiceovers. do something fucking innovative, bioware, we know you're capable of it.

i wonder how much EA's general 'poorly copy the successes of others' business plan has to do with this game.
brblx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #21
drebo
Diamond Member

Quote:
The MMO market is the overwhelming driving force behind PC gaming atm. As far as your ideas as the only ways to do things, we can certainly tell why you aren't producing a MMO yourself There are lots of different ways of handling how to have a story driven MMO, I've been quite impressed with the fairly detailed explenations they have offered on how they are going to pull it off.
Er, what?

Rather than making blind assertions and making yourself look like a fool, let's look at this analytically.

In every modern MMO, what is the most populated part of the game? The end game. What's the goal of all of those games? The end game. What is the most enjoyable part of all of those games? THE END GAME.

Why is that? I can tell you that it's NOT because it has a linear story. No. In MMOs, the linear story is the what gets you to the end game. Why about WoW do people complain the most? The grind. What is the grind? Leveling from 1 to 80 in a linear, uncreative, boring world. Why do you think that Blizzard has made it incredibly easy to get through the early portions of the game? Because NO ONE likes to play it. When was the last time you started a character just to go play in Goldshire? Or maybe you prefer going through all the quests in Westfall?

No. People who play modern MMOs do everything in their power to SKIP the first part of the game and go straight to the end game. Because in the end game, you do what you want, go where you want...i.e. it's NOT STORY DRIVEN.

Any modern MMO, this is the case. Whether it be DAoC, AoC, WoW, WAR, Darkfall, anything. Everyone dashes to the end game, because that's what's fun.

My point is that if you REMOVE the story parts that NO ONE likes playing, you make the entire game, from the moment you pick it up to the moment you cancel your account, fun. This is not opinion, it is empirical fact supported by population distribution in every single modern MMO.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #22
Lonyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: drebo
Quote:
Er, what?

Rather than making blind assertions and making yourself look like a fool, let's look at this analytically.

In every modern MMO, what is the most populated part of the game? The end game. What's the goal of all of those games? The end game. What is the most enjoyable part of all of those games? THE END GAME.

Why is that? I can tell you that it's NOT because it has a linear story. No. In MMOs, the linear story is the what gets you to the end game. Why about WoW do people complain the most? The grind. What is the grind? Leveling from 1 to 80 in a linear, uncreative, boring world. Why do you think that Blizzard has made it incredibly easy to get through the early portions of the game? Because NO ONE likes to play it. When was the last time you started a character just to go play in Goldshire? Or maybe you prefer going through all the quests in Westfall?

No. People who play modern MMOs do everything in their power to SKIP the first part of the game and go straight to the end game. Because in the end game, you do what you want, go where you want...i.e. it's NOT STORY DRIVEN.

Any modern MMO, this is the case. Whether it be DAoC, AoC, WoW, WAR, Darkfall, anything. Everyone dashes to the end game, because that's what's fun.

My point is that if you REMOVE the story parts that NO ONE likes playing, you make the entire game, from the moment you pick it up to the moment you cancel your account, fun. This is not opinion, it is empirical fact supported by population distribution in every single modern MMO.
Yes, but Blizzard are saying they are going to make story parts that people WILL LIKE to play.

Just because WoW or whatever other MMO has story parts that no one likes doesn't mean that no one likes story parts, it means those which have so far been offered up haven't really been any good, so people just want to pretend they don't exist.

Sure, you could scrap the story parts entirely, or you could try making the story parts interesting, and that's what Bioware are going for.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #23
Koudelka

Quote:
Quote:
Er, what?

The reason why nobody likes to play anything but the end game anymore is because every single MMO since everquest (aside from Vanguard) has been a 'solo questing, dont ever need to speak to another soul until i hit top level' game.

With a good population, and grouping giving you significant more xp.. the entire game is enjoyable when you have people to play with. You make friends fast, and get to know a lot of people.
Koudelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #24
Nizology

Quote:
Quote:
Er, what?

However, this is the epic of Star Wars and perhaps one of the greatest sci-fi stories ever created. None of those MMOs can say that.
Nizology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #25
WaitingForNehalem
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: spittledip
hm those are some bad graphics
Yes they are. Honestly, who wants cartoon graphics?
Intel Core i7 920 with Corsair A70 | ASUS Sabertooth X58 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Creative Sound Blaster Z | 12GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 | CM Storm Sniper Black Edition | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | WD Caviar Black 500GB & 1TB | Corsair HX650

Currently using a $99 AMD 8320E as a stopgap until Skylake.
WaitingForNehalem is offline   Reply With Quote