· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
MBrown
Diamond Member

Default Sunoco vs Other

Someone from work was saying he only puts Sunoco gas in his car because he says its better than all the rest. Is there really a difference or is gas just gas at any gas station.
i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X | 2x EVGA GTX 780 FTW w/ACX | Antec High Current Gamer 900W PSU | 256GB Samsung 830 series 6Gb/s | 1TB Western Digital Black 6Gb/s | Antec P280 | 27" ASUS PB278Q LCD 1440p @ 60Hz | Logitech Z-2300 | Audio-Technica ATH-M50 | Windows 8.1 Pro x64
MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
Zenmervolt
Supermoderator
The Garage
Elite member

Default Sunoco vs Other

The gasoline is the same.

The additive package may differ, but in most cases the gasoline is the same.

Sunoco may actually be an exception to this rule however, as some Sunoco stations still offer Ultra 94 or Ultra 93, which may be a higher octane than other stations in the area offer. Some stations may even offer Sunoco 260GT, which is a 100 octane street-legal fuel favored by weekend racers.

ZV

TANSTAAFL
Zenmervolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
geokilla
Golden Member

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Originally posted by: MBrown
Someone from work was saying he only puts Sunoco gas in his car because he says its better than all the rest. Is there really a difference or is gas just gas at any gas station.
My family uses Sunoco only if possible because they heard the same thing.

However, I'm trying to give them an alternative, which is Shell. Shell's V-Power is 99% Formula 1 fuel because that's what F1 regulations state.
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB and Western Digital Black 1TB + Misc HDD
geokilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
roid450

Default Sunoco vs Other

maybe try taking the cat back out and running VP u4.2 oxygenated fuel with lead :Q

lol
There never was much brain power in ATOT.
roid450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
LuckyTaxi
Diamond Member

Default Sunoco vs Other

i dont care what anyone says, sunoco is much better on my car. I get more out of it than let's say LukOil or Exxon.
I've tried Shell a couple of times and I dont have any complaints. When I used to drive to our old job location I would avg roughly 240 miles on 3/4 tank on sunoco gas.
With exxon or lukoil, i got roughly 180 or so.
LuckyTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
jhu
Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Originally posted by: LuckyTaxi
i dont care what anyone says, sunoco is much better on my car. I get more out of it than let's say LukOil or Exxon.
I've tried Shell a couple of times and I dont have any complaints. When I used to drive to our old job location I would avg roughly 240 miles on 3/4 tank on sunoco gas.
that last part doesn't make much sense. unless you have some way to substantiate that (readouts from the ecu, etc.). i've also found driving styles play a large role in mileage/tank. perhaps you were driving less aggressively on the sunoco tank vs. the exxon/lukoil tank.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
zerocool84
Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Originally posted by: jhu
Quote:
that last part doesn't make much sense. unless you have some way to substantiate that (readouts from the ecu, etc.). i've also found driving styles play a large role in mileage/tank. perhaps you were driving less aggressively on the sunoco tank vs. the exxon/lukoil tank.
There is no way in hell the type of gas would result in a 60mile difference.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
bruceb
Diamond Member

Default Sunoco vs Other

If I have the choice I do run Sunoco myself. Second choice would be Gulf. You need to try the same octane of various brands and see how your car likes each. Some will idle smoother or start up a bit better or just may feel more perky when you hit the gas. But Sunoco is tops. That is what they use in Nascar at the tracks. (race gas spec)
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
overst33r
Diamond Member

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Originally posted by: geokilla
Quote:

However, I'm trying to give them an alternative, which is Shell. Shell's V-Power is 99% Formula 1 fuel because that's what F1 regulations state.
I hope you realize Shell isn't the only supplier of fuel for F1 (Mobil, elf, etc)
Past | Present | Future
overst33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
jhu
Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Quote:
Quote:
There is no way in hell the type of gas would result in a 60mile difference.
indeed. i find driving style makes a substantial impact on gas mileage.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
alkemyst
No Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

statement #1 and #2 are not equal.

In most cases is right...but if you are only considering the quikee mart type then you will find a ton of range.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
geokilla
Golden Member

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Originally posted by: mariok2006
Quote:
Originally posted by: geokilla
Quote:

I hope you realize Shell isn't the only supplier of fuel for F1 (Mobil, elf, etc)
Up here in Toronto, the only "race-spec" fuel are Shell, which is known for F1 and Sunoco, which is known for NASCAR. The other major gas brands are Esso and Petro Canada.

Isn't Texaco a good brand as well?

@Lucky. That is definitely not possible. 60 miles = 100km. That's a HUGE difference. You were probably driving more aggressively or did more stop and go in city traffic.
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB and Western Digital Black 1TB + Misc HDD
geokilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
Zenmervolt
Supermoderator
The Garage
Elite member

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Quote:

In most cases is right...but if you are only considering the quikee mart type then you will find a ton of range.
Gasoline != additives. The statements are perfectly compatible.

With very few exceptions, stations buy gasoline from whatever refinery has the closest distribution center. Some Sunoco stations will have gas from a Sunoco refinery, some will have gasoline from an Exxon refinery, some from a Shell refinery, all depending on where they are physically located.

ZV

TANSTAAFL
Zenmervolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
LTC8K6
Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

Isn't Sunoco an American company?

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
JDub02
Diamond Member

Default Sunoco vs Other

Of course Sunoco is the best. NASCAR uses it, so it gives you +15 horsepower.
JDub02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
Marlin1975
Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

You, and your car, will not know the diff between any gas.

The only real difference is the stations and their pumps. If the tanks leak, bad filters, etc...

I had a friend that was a brand queen. Would only use 1 brand. So I told him when I used his car I filled it with another brand. Well he swore up and down his car was weaker, milage had dropped, etc... after he said that I gave him the reciept that came from the same station he always used. Then he tried to come up with another reason...

Gas is gas.
Quote:
Originally posted by: spidey07
No muslims, no athiests, no gays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
I'm proud to be a racist now. VERY proud.
Marlin1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
lurk3r

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

The only real difference is the stations and their pumps. If the tanks leak, bad filters, etc...

I had a friend that was a brand queen. Would only use 1 brand. So I told him when I used his car I filled it with another brand. Well he swore up and down his car was weaker, milage had dropped, etc... after he said that I gave him the reciept that came from the same station he always used. Then he tried to come up with another reason...

Gas is gas.
Wrong, just wrong, I mistakenly put the 87 in my tank last week, and there was a noticable loss in power, nearly a full second 0-60. The altima is rated for 87 octane, but mine performs noticalbly better with 89, 89-93 dosen't make any difference.

Just because YOU don't notice a differnce dosen't mean that noone will.
lurk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #18
alkemyst
No Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Quote:

Gasoline != additives. The statements are perfectly compatible.

With very few exceptions, stations buy gasoline from whatever refinery has the closest distribution center. Some Sunoco stations will have gas from a Sunoco refinery, some will have gasoline from an Exxon refinery, some from a Shell refinery, all depending on where they are physically located.

ZV
regardless you are going off the poor man's belief that gas = gas. In reality the transport, storage and delivery have A TON to do with what you end up with.

There is a major reason people don't line up down the street at the 'quikee marts' despite their gas being much cheaper usually.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #19
Marlin1975
Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Originally posted by: lurk3r
Quote:

Gas is gas.
Wrong, just wrong, I mistakenly put the 87 in my tank last week, and there was a noticable loss in power, nearly a full second 0-60. The altima is rated for 87 octane, but mine performs noticalbly better with 89, 89-93 dosen't make any difference.

That is not rated by the quality of gas but the octane rating. Yes a lot of cars will perform better with higher octane gas. Of course a lot of cars do better with higher octane gas as the owner is to stupid to take care of their car properly and as such will not perform on the gas it was made for.

Also you do know that there is no 89 octane. 89 at stations is a mix of 87 and the high octane (92 or 93).

Quality =/= Octane rating.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #20
The Stigenator
Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

I only use Chevron with Techron.. but thats because i have a gas card with them.. and thats what I use to fill up my car.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
LuckyTaxi
Diamond Member

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Quote:
Nope -

stop and go traffic on the highway. I don't go above 75 most of the time. I tried this for a few good months, alternating between sunoco and lukoil/exxon and found a big difference. My car only takes premium so I always used the highest (sunoco using the second to highest).

I can see if 1 or two days I went above 80 most of the time but i barely do it just because the traffic is horrible where I live.
LuckyTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #22
zerocool84
Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheGoodGuy
I only use Chevron with Techron.. but thats because i have a gas card with them.. and thats what I use to fill up my car.
I use Chevron cus it's the closest gas to me. Laziness FTW
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #23
lurk3r

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Gas is gas.

That is not rated by the quality of gas but the octane rating. Yes a lot of cars will perform better with higher octane gas. Of course a lot of cars do better with higher octane gas as the owner is to stupid to take care of their car properly and as such will not perform on the gas it was made for.

Also you do know that there is no 89 octane. 89 at stations is a mix of 89 and the high octane (92 or 93).

Wow, now you've called me too stupid to take care of my car properly just because what I observe proves your opinions wrong, good argument!

For the record, all scheduled maintence has been done, and I've observed the same results on this car, (and most of my other cars) since it was brand new.

and no octane rating is not quality, but it does lead directly to more efficient combustion, the engine can advance the ignition farther, increasing the compression ratio at which combustion occurs, which produces more power and wastes less of the gas making the engine more efficient.

If you want to keep your head in the sand, enjoy yourself.
lurk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #24
HardcoreRobot
Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

all in your head
HardcoreRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #25
Marlin1975
Lifer

Default Sunoco vs Other

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Gas is gas.

Also you do know that there is no 89 octane. 89 at stations is a mix of 87 and the high octane (92 or 93).

Wow, now you've called me too stupid to take care of my car properly just because what I observe proves your opinions wrong, good argument!

For the record, all scheduled maintence has been done, and I've observed the same results on this car, (and most of my other cars) since it was brand new.

and no octane rating is not quality, but it does lead directly to more efficient combustion, the engine can advance the ignition farther, increasing the compression ratio at which combustion occurs, which produces more power and wastes less of the gas making the engine more efficient.

If you want to keep your head in the sand, enjoy yourself.

Just because you follow what is in the book does not mean it is working correct.

I was ASE certified and ran my own shop. So your single observation is not proof of anything, other then you do not know what you are talking about.
Quote:
Quote: