· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-17-2001, 09:21 AM   #1
rc5
Platinum Member

Default How much weight can you lose by jogging?

I'm 20 pounds overweight and getting a bit concerned. This morning I got out and ran 6.5 miles in one hour and 15 minutes. The surrounding temperature was below zero, 15.5 degrees based on radio. However, there isn't any apparent change reflected on my personal scale, at least less than 0.5 pound. Could that be right? Even my car should lose more than one pound by driving 6.5 miles.
rc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 09:33 AM   #2
tontod
Diamond Member

I doubt you would lose 1 pound by running 6.5 miles. I think if you loose 3500 calories, that is equivalent to one pound. While running 6.5 miles will burn a lot of calories, but I dont think its near 3500 calories.
Old 11-17-2001, 09:36 AM   #3
kami
Lifer

LOL...this must be a joke. You can't go outside and run around and expect to come back and see that the scale has gone down a bit. ROFL!

Running will boost your metabolism more than anything...if you really want to lose weight, change your eating habits.
Old 11-17-2001, 09:39 AM   #4
dman
Diamond Member

I wouldn't think you'd notice any difference in ~1hour... unless you lost a lot of water weight. That's not to say it was a waste of time... I think the joging kicks up your metabolism which will continue burning those calories for some time AFTER you've finished jogging. (I Think you have to go for 20+ minutes aerobically for that effect to kick in).

So, if you didn't gain much muscle mass during the jog, you might notice a weight change the next morning... but... it would also probably be so small that it would be hard to distingusish from water weight changes. SO:

Weigh yourself at the same time every day and continue jogging/exercising on a regular basis, and make sure you aren't taking in extra calories and you'll notice a steady decline as you approach your ideal weight.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 10:26 AM   #5
charrison
Lifer

You burn about 100 calories per mile(speed does not matter, but the more you weigh, the more you burn). And a lb of fat has 3500 calories.

charrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 10:32 AM   #6
DonNiggera

It's the best way to lose weight, by far. When you lose it by jogging, and not changing your diet, you'll keep the weight off. Although, it would take about a month to start seeing the results. After that, you start to drop the weight faster and faster.

That's what I did, I got down to a healthy 127lbs, and I was lean.. Then I got lazy, started eating a lot of pop-corn and peanuts, and now I'm fat again at 140lbs I need to start jogging again...
DonNiggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 11:46 AM   #7
MrHelpful
Banned

charrison - I would say that jogging burns more calories than walking.

Don******a, swimming is the fastest way, IMO. Only thing is, you have to have access to a pool.
MrHelpful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 11:48 AM   #8
vi edit
Elite Member
Super Moderator

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you really did "jog" 6.5 miles in 75 minutes, you probably did more harm to your body than good.

It would have been much less damaging to your joints and connective tissues if you had just walked for the hour and 15 minutes.

Old 11-17-2001, 11:48 AM   #9
areohbe
Banned

i used to be around 190 (i'm only 5'7) and i started jogging back in april.... 7 months later i'm down to 147... it takes a while for the jogging to take effect but once your body builds up to it, i think you start burning more... make sure you drink alot of water too.
areohbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 12:34 PM   #10
yakko
Lifer

It tkeas a while for any workout routine to work unless you are doing something wrong and harming your body.
yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 12:35 PM   #11
charrison
Lifer

MrHelpful,

You are wrong it takes about the same energy to walk a mile as it does run a mile. The only major difference is that running a mile takes less time.

Old 11-17-2001, 12:37 PM   #12
vi edit
Elite Member
Super Moderator

<< MrHelpful,

You are wrong it takes about the same energy to walk a mile as it does run a mile. The only major difference is that running a mile takes less time.
>>

I don't agree. At all. Got any links to back that up?
Old 11-17-2001, 12:46 PM   #13
charrison
Lifer

vi_edit,

This was out of runners world magazine a few months ago.
The formula was something like
distance x body weight x some fractional constant. Speed was not part of the equation.
When i find the magazine i will post the details.

But think about. Say you walk a mile in 30 minutes and run a mile in 10.
If you run you have high activity for 10 minutes and no activity for 20.
IF you walk the mile in 30 minutes, you have low activity for 30 minutes.

In the end you expend about the same energy getting to where you are going.

Old 11-17-2001, 01:02 PM   #14
vi edit
Elite Member
Super Moderator

I read runners world for about 4 years, I can't say that agree with all of their techniques/strategies.

I guess personal experience has proven otherwise to me.

Old 11-17-2001, 01:14 PM   #15
vash
Platinum Member

Jogging will help you lose weight, definitely. However, one run, once in a while won't do it. You need it to be a very regular thing in order to see results on the scale and in your pants. If you ran, say, every other day, 3 months, along with keeping your current diet, you will definitely see pounds go. If you change your diet and combine that with running, you'll lose more.

Finally, if you combine weight training, jogging and a proper diet, you will lose the most amount of weight. The three combo system is guaranteed to lose weight, especially given 90 days of regularity.

vash
vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 01:18 PM   #16
mdennison
Golden Member

Run that much 5 days a week for month and you will be in great shape. Only thing is, if you just started exercising, your appetite will probably increase...

I run 3 miles a day 4 days a week. Average for 3 miles is around 18-20 minutes...
mdennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 01:22 PM   #17
SpecialEd
Platinum Member

You can't just run once and expect the pounds to start dropping off instantly... To lose fat, you need a consistent exercise routine. Try running maybe three time a week. over time, your metabolism will increase and you will eventually start to lose some real weight. It is also very important to have a health diet. Active bodies need lots of nutients and minerals to stay healthy.

All this stuff about burning calories doesn't help you lose exsisting weight. the advantage of burning calories is to prevent gaining additional weight. Calories have the potiential to turn into fat if not used. Americans have a tendancy to intake large amounts of calories, and can't burn them off through regular day to day activity. thats why having a low calorie diet is a good way to stop gaining weight. However don't go too low or you won't have any energy to do anything. Its all a balance of exercise and proper diets....

to put it short: You need to work hard and stay commited to a good diet and consistent exercise. There is no easy way out!!

SpecialEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 03:07 PM   #18
rc5
Platinum Member

You guys are right. I went on the scale again this afternoon and it seemed 0.5 pounds less than that was in the morning. Maybe the "after-burn" kicked in.
rc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 03:25 PM   #19
Bleep
Diamond Member

You have to be extremely carefull where you jog. My neighbor gained 22 lbs jogging. I think her problem was she would jog down to the McDonalds place and have a couple of big macs.
Bleep
Not many of us are called to do great things but all of us are called to do small things in a great way. &lt;BR&gt; Coleman McCarthy&lt;BR&gt;&lt;a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=11748"&gt;My system rigs&lt;/a&gt;
Bleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 03:35 PM   #20
AvidOC
Banned

So you are saying, if i walk 100m, then sprint i wont burn more energy sprinting

you sprint 100m 4 times, then walk and see which gets you more hungry and tired
AvidOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 03:40 PM   #21
FrontlineWarrior
Diamond Member

<< You have to be extremely carefull where you jog. My neighbor gained 22 lbs jogging. I think her problem was she would jog down to the McDonalds place and have a couple of big macs.
Bleep
>>

hehe
FrontlineWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 03:44 PM   #22
FrontlineWarrior
Diamond Member

<< So you are saying, if i walk 100m, then sprint i wont burn more energy sprinting

you sprint 100m 4 times, then walk and see which gets you more hungry and tired
>>

if you sprint you'll be using your fast twitch muscles, which uses glycogen as its energy source. since you're using up glycogen, you'll feel more hungry cuz your body sugar level is slow. (i think!)

whereas if you walk, you'll be using your slow twitch muscles, which uses oxygen (and ATP) as its energy source.

So yes, there is some difference between sprinting and running, mainly in terms of the different types of muscles used. So to be complete redundant, there's bound to be a difference.
FrontlineWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 03:50 PM   #23
StageLeft
No Lifer

Your weight can easily fluctuate a couple pounds a day just from fluids.

A real pound of fat has 3500 calories. Running at a strong pace for an hour long will burn perhaps 900 calories if you're of decent size. Thus you need 4 hours of running to lose that pound.

Running is a great way to lose weight, but the best is to cut back calories. It's also the easiest I think. I can decrease my calorie intake easily by 1200 calories a day simply by cutting back on food, but 1200 calories of cardio really kicks my ass. Of course combining is best.

By the way, it's just a fact that walking a mile and running a mile do not burn the same energy. Formulas aside when a person walks their body maintains a certain height, right? When you run your head goes up and down because your body is jumping up and down to a small extent with every step. When you run you leave the ground very often. Jumping alone takes energy. I'm not sure what the difference would be but I believe it would be quite significant.
Old 11-17-2001, 04:13 PM   #24
charrison
Lifer

These numbers are provided by this
calculator

The difference between walking a mile at 3mph and running at mile at 12mph is only 30% and you traveling 4x faster.

And given that most people would probably jog at 6 mph, the difference is 15% for traveling 2x faster.

So the difference between running a mile and walking a mile is very little.
The fact that you are traveling a mile on the shoe leather express is what really matter.

Running 12 mph

Running 10 mph

Running 8 mph

Running 7 mph

Running 6 mph

Running 5 mph

Walking 4 mph

Walking 3 mph

Old 11-17-2001, 04:15 PM   #25
StageLeft
No Lifer

Interesting, charrison, but I believe that there is a certain cut point at which a person is "running". What I mean is walk a mile at 2mph and walk a mile at 4 mph. Probably similar calories burned. Go a mile at 5 and you're suddenly "running" which means you bring in the vertical factor, so you'll see a more significant bump in calorie use between 4 and 5 than perhaps 2 and 4.