· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
d4mo

Default Rubbing Alcohol + Stained Wood......

Ok so the doors in our house are stained wood. I don't know if it is protected by anything, but it's not shiny or anything.

Yesterday, I was using some rubbing alcohol and I hit the bottle, and it spilled on the door. I thought I cleaned it up. But I missed some and there are some big white streaks on the door. I tried to rub it off with a damp cloth, and the white steaks went away.......until it dried again and they came back. So I know the alcohol didn't take the stain away. What should I do?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
CPA
Elite Member

sand and restain.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Elstupido

Old English schratch cover and furniture polish?
Elstupido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
sactoking
Diamond Member

My guess is that there was a matte clear coat on the wood. 'Rubbing alcohol' contains both acetone and MEK is small amounts. Most stains and polyurethanes only require mineral spirits for cleanup. The rubbing alcohol likely re-wet the clear coat. If you are experiencing white spots, that's my guess. Acetone and MEK won't 'bleach out' a stain like that, but re-wetting a polyurethane improperly will cause it to go cloudy.
sactoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
d4mo

Quote:
Originally posted by: sactoking
My guess is that there was a matte clear coat on the wood. 'Rubbing alcohol' contains both acetone and MEK is small amounts. Most stains and polyurethanes only require mineral spirits for cleanup. The rubbing alcohol likely re-wet the clear coat. If you are experiencing white spots, that's my guess. Acetone and MEK won't 'bleach out' a stain like that, but re-wetting a polyurethane improperly will cause it to go cloudy.
Mineral Spirits will work? Where do I find that?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
xanis
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: d4mo
Quote:
Mineral Spirits will work? Where do I find that?
Pretty much at any hardware store ever.
xanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
sactoking
Diamond Member

Mineral spirits works for wet cleanup (brushes, hands, spills, etc.) Once the stain or urethane has cured, it won't work any more, kinda like how paint thinner works on 'oil-based' paint when it's wet, but not when it's dry. I would say to go with a VERY light sanding to verify that urethane is being scratched/removed and not stain. If it is, you will need to try to match the sheen of the urethane in an off-the-shelf product and touch it up. Don't use water-based urethane, as it won't re-wet the existing urethane, so the touch-up will be noticeable.
sactoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

How old is the door?
We used exactly that to refinish all the woodwork in our house: rubbing alcohol (denatured alcohol actually)
Our wood was varnished and the varnish had become very dark from all the years. It looked beautiful when we were done & we finished the wood with tongue oil. Rather than sand the wood, it's possible that you can get a can of alcohol & just refinish it.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
HeroOfPellinor
Lifer

If alcohol removed the finish then it is probably lacquer or shellac. You need to know, because lacquer is extremely easy to repair.
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens."
HeroOfPellinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

Funny story about doing the woodwork with alcohol & extra fine steel wool: wife was working near an electrical outlet. Apparently, a small piece of the steel managed to get in there and cause a spark. FWWOOOOSHH! Fire! The look on her face was priceless. I laughed my butt off. (I played with rubbing alcohol & fire so much when I was in college that I recognized it as being relatively harmless, even on her rubber gloves)
Old 07-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #11
d4mo

Quote:
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
If alcohol removed the finish then it is probably lacquer or shellac. You need to know, because lacquer is extremely easy to repair.
If it was lacquer how would I go about repairing it?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #12
imported_Baloo
Golden Member

Just give it a few days, and the streaks will go away. Some of the alcohol was absorbed, but it will fully dry leaving no evidence it was ever there.
imported_Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #13
HeroOfPellinor
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Clean the area and apply some lacquer. Because lacquer contains it's own solvent, it will melt the old layers and blend with it leaving a seemless repair. Shellac is more vulnerable to alcohol though and will be more of a hassle to repair especially matching the different hues and wax contents of shellac. Then again, depending on the severity of the staining you're describing and how long the alcohol was there and the quantity, they could still be polyurethane.

I'd invest in a wood finishing book, run some tests using acetone (check for alcquer) and denatured alcohol (check for shellac) to determine the finish for sure, and then use whatever repair technique the book describes. I'm just trying to get you some basic info.
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens."
HeroOfPellinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #14
Sluggo
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
If its lacquer, go to the local paint store and find a small can of lacquer retarder. Just a quick swipe with a rag slightly dampened with retarder should fix it right up.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #15
Eli
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
:shocked:

Where do you people come up with this stuff? Seriously. Honestly, did you just pull that out of your ass, or what?

Rubbing alcohol doesn't contain acetone and for fuck's sake, it definitely does not contain MEK.

Good lord.

2001 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #163P - 158,388 miles and counting as of 7/2011
Best Trip - 82.0MPG over 1200 miles
2001 Honda Insight 5MT - 450,000 miles and counting as of 2/2012 (Fiancee's)
Best Trip - 92.4MPG over 400 miles
2000 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #173P, BCM Gauge, OBDIIC&C Gauge, Upgraded 8Ah battery - 227,248 miles and counting as of 10/2011
Best Trip - 83.1mpg over 458mi
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #16
d33pt
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Eli
Quote:
:shocked:

Where do you people come up with this stuff? Seriously. Honestly, did you just pull that out of your ass, or what?

Rubbing alcohol doesn't contain acetone and for fuck's sake, it definitely does not contain MEK.

Good lord.
you expect any less from ATOT?
d33pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:39 AM   #17
Ballatician
Golden Member

I signed in just to give you the obligatory "it'll buff right out" post.

You're welcome.
Ballatician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:49 AM   #18
Elstupido

Eli, exactly, we have no idea what finish was applied to the tha stain. I am just assuming he has an ordinary stain applied, with which old english may work.

"Rubbing alcohol doesn't contain acetone and for fuck's sake, it definitely does not contain MEK. "

Very true
Elstupido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 AM   #19
mattocs
Platinum Member

You sure it wasn't moonshine, and you got piss drunk and fell?