· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 05-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #26
lightstar

Default Why do companies tend to lose good employees but end up keeping the bad employes?

some companies value loyalty over competence
lightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #27
Throckmorton
Lifer

Default Why do companies tend to lose good employees but end up keeping the bad employes?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
Quote:
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Quote:
Originally posted by: rpanic
Sounds like a union or goverment job
In my experience government jobs have had the good people. The private job I have now has a lot of bad workers like me.
That just shows you that you can't stereotype one sector. My experience with government jobs was completely different. A bunch of overpaid people that didn't work more than 2 hours a day (oh they were there 9 hours, but they didn't work 9 hours).

Every place has it's good and bad people.
Yeah. I'm not actually a bad worker though. I've voluntarily contributed in a lot of unnecessary ways, and it's not like I've been rewarded. I won't be sticking around for long.
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #28
JS80
Lifer

You're not as important as you think you are
OR
Because they are cheaper and the "good" employees don't bring the value that their pay demands.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #29
0roo0roo
No Lifer

its called the dead sea effect. cheap/lousy companies pay little/demand a lot/have absurd retarded management. good workers that can leave, will..and evaporate leaving those who are just happy to have a job behind and entrench themselves in the concentrated ever more concentrated crap.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #30
sao123
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
Notice this at the company I'm working at right now. I'm about to leave. The people that are there that have been making difficult for the new hires are the ones that are generally inefficient and not as knowledgeable. The IT department never fires anyone....

They lose good people because they refuse to pay well... They keep the losers because they can justify paying stupid people less... then they can hire a CEO to run things for top dollars... because noone at the bottom is qualified to make decision.

Originally posted by: Dank69
It's (expletive deleted) easy. Throw seeds on the ground. Plants sprout. Pick hamburgers. Repeat.
sao123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #31
MovingTarget
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Quote:
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
Bad employees tend to be able to have a higher tolerance for that kind of crap. Chances are though, they are the ones perpetuating it. Once they get established in seniority, they are even harder to remove, thus making life harder for people with talent and/or passion for their jobs.

A good employee can be turned into a bad one quite easily. It doesn't take much...just a gradual wearing down of one's spirit and enthusiasm day to day.
WOW! Did you work at my old job?

Thats pretty much it right there.
Its the fools and assholes that weasel their way up from blue collar to white collar and then fudge up everything. And things stay fudged up because companies hate to let managers go.

Then they ruin everybody beneath them.
I don't know if I did or not, but from what I've seen it is pretty common. I worked at a software company that had rather broken procedures for internal communication, bug resolution, training (a MUST for a proprietary system), and just about everything else. I could've done a lot of good there because I cared about what I did. However, I gradually got worn down to the point where I dreaded coming in everyday. My work suffered and I was no longer the employee they hired. The people who rose to management were sometimes really good, but some of the "lifers" as they came to be called, were pretty bad, leading by any other way but a good example.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #32
nervegrind3r
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Leros
You must not be at a very desirable company. The good people leave for better, the bad people can't do any better.
exactly, very good point!
nervegrind3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 AM   #33
james1701
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
Quote:
Originally posted by: rpanic
Sounds like a union or goverment job
LOL, Hospital, Non-profit Organization. So I guess it's the closest it can get to a gov or union job.
Your not a Respiratory Therapist are you?
Its the same way at the hospital I am at. Managment has a way they want things done, and it does not matter if you find a better way of doing it. Ussually its the lazy people that abuse the system. A good worker will go out and bust their butt to make the department looks good, but when there is trouble, it almost always falls on the good employees. They do most of the work and get caught up in the bureaucracy of it all, will the slow lazy people just slump in the corner saying I dont know, or its not my fault, or I was not even there.
Intel 3770K-Asus P8-Z77 Pro-8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz-Corsair HX1000-XSPC Raystorm Copper Edition-Dual D5 Pumps-Corsair Force 3 SSD-Gigabyte 7970 Xfire-Corsair 900D-Windows 8.1 Pro-Dell U3011-Dell 2007FP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Getting a cpu from Aigo after he's had his way with it is like dating an ex-girlfriend of Ron Jeremy...its been so used and abused by this point that you'd be lucky if that LGA1366 chip would actually fit into a LGA2011 board
james1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:06 AM   #34
Scarpozzi
Lifer

Fail usually starts at the top.

One bad manager can allow screw ups to get away with whatever they want. It's usually trickle-down theory of laziness. Lazy managers that don't want to clean house end up with lazy employees that don't want new hires to create more work for them by doing their jobs (and making the lazy ones look bad).
Old 05-12-2008, 02:54 AM   #35
tigersty1e
Golden Member

Here's the underlying issue.

When you're new at a company, you do your best to show what you have. You want to impress your boss, be cool with your co-workers, and not be a screw-up. You bring your A game and show up on time.

After you've been working there for a while, you get to know the "system." The pay raises are fixed/standard, the bonuses are fixed/standard, you figure out a way to do your same work with 1/10th the effort (and it shows), and you learn 1 or 2 things that your boss has no clue how to do (you become "valuable"). You show up late on some days, but come early on others. You vary it so often that they can't say s**t. That's why it seems like they are lazy and incompetent. It's not that at all. They're just chillin'.
tigersty1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:02 AM   #36
skace
Lifer

It all comes down to mismanagement. Most managers lack the skills to do their job properly. They don't handle their work area and don't reward / punish properly. Instead they spend all their time in meetings, sitting on mute playing solitaire.
skace is offline   Reply With Quote