· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-03-2003, 06:04 PM   #1
FlashG
Platinum Member

Default Military promotion protocol question

I?ve never been in the service and I wonder how you get notified when you get a promotion in rank? Do they send you a letter of congratulations like a diploma or do they do it during an inspection?

I imagine that enlisted are treated differently than commissioned. Do different branches in the services do this differently or are they similar?
FlashG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:10 PM   #2
jemcam
Diamond Member

Default RE:Military promotion protocol question

It depends on what your current rank is. If you're a private or E1, it's usually done in formation, usually at the end of the day and it's usually unexpected. If you're a higher ranking NCO, you're expecting it because you've attended some classes or are already in a position that supports the higher rank. As a Commander, more often than not, the unit clerk came to me during the day and said that someone deserved a promotion because they met the minimum time in grade, had no performance problems, passed the PT test, etc., and if I wanted to I could promote them. I always promoted someone ASAP unless they had some problems. If they hadn't passed the PT test or were on the fatboy program, I called them in and used their promotion as a carrot to give them some motivation. It was just a matter of the clerk typing up the orders, me signing it, and I would get with the First Sergeant and we would get the rank from the Supply Sergeant and at the next formation, I'd call him up, have the First Sergeant read the orders while I pinned the rank on him, saluted him, and had him about face while the unit applauded. That was usually the way it worked from E1 to E4.

As an officer, again, you're expecting it because your file had to go before a review board, so you know months in advance whether or not you were approved or not. When I got promoted as an Officer, I knew several months in advance that I had been accepted but had to wait for the official orders or Federal Recognition to come in the mail before I could pin on the rank. My favorite promotion was being promoted to Captain. It was my favorite because for the first time I was actually saluted by another officer. Usually as a courtesy, 2nd Lieutenants do not salute and extend all courtesies to a 1st Lieutenant that are regarded to a higher ranking officer. Don't ask me why, it's just the way it was.
jemcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:14 PM   #3
FoBoT
Super Moderator

Default RE: Military promotion protocol question

we would just get the test results , like a printed form
if your test results along with your bonus points were above the cutoff , then you knew you were going to be promoted in the next cycle, the higher above the cutoff the sooner in the cycle your pay would kick up to the next grade

everyone for that cycle would be "frocked" to the next grade at the same time, so everyone would put on their next stripe at the same time, but not everybody would start getting paid for it at once, they stagger the pay raise to save money i guess or something

this is Navy, during the 80's/90's and for enlisted, E-4 through E-6 , it is different for E-7 and above and E-3 and below (in the Navy)

officers, i have no idea
Old 12-03-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
FlashG
Platinum Member

Thanks,

I've always wondered how they promoted people. I guess the higher you go up in rank the more they check your qualifications out.

As a side note, I tried to figure out the military pay scale one time and got so confused I finally gave up. Talk about complex.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
jemcam
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FlashG
Thanks,

I've always wondered how they promoted people. I guess the higher you go up in rank the more they check your qualifications out.

As a side note, I tried to figure out the military pay scale one time and got so confused I filally gave up. Talk about complex.
It's actually not very hard. You look up your rank on the leftcolumn, then on the top row you find how many years in service, then where the two points meet is your monthly base pay rate.
jemcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:47 PM   #6
FlashG
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jemcam
Quote:
Originally posted by: FlashG
Thanks,

As a side note, I tried to figure out the military pay scale one time and got so confused I filally gave up. Talk about complex.
It's actually not very hard. You look up your rank on the leftcolumn, then on the top row you find how many years in service, then where the two points meet is your monthly base pay rate.
The one I looked at had war time charts and other qualifications on it.