· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
slightlyhuman
Lifer

Default Agree or Disagree: i don't want you smoking your e-cig in my cubicle

We have a new guy(and he's a fucking moron).

He's a smoker. First things first, I just quit smoking(only smoked 2-3 years) 6 months ago. This guy is shadowing me tomorrow and will be within 2-4ft of me all day. He's with another co-worker today.

I see him puffing on his e-cig every few minutes. I'm telling him tomorrow that I'd prefer he not bring that in my cubicle. I understand there's no smell. I don't want to see your breath within my personal space and I should have that right.

I went out to talk to a few smokers(prob not a wise choice) about their opinion on the matter. Of course they said what's the big deal. The big fucking deal is this is my personal space, not yours. You're training here and obviously haven't earned your keep. I think you're a fucking moron for being on mobile facebook and smoking an e-cig while being trained. Why do I NOT have that right to request that any more so than he DOES have that right to smoke in my cube/personal space?

/weak rant off

Last edited by slightlyhuman; 02-20-2014 at 10:55 AM.
slightlyhuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
NetWareHead
THAT guy

I agree with you. There is an idiot I work with who claims it is "just water vapor" that you exhale so he should have the right to smoke a e-cig near me.

How can it be just exhaled water vapor? You are inhaling some sort of chemicals to satisfy the nicotine craving and those same chemicals are exhaled as well. Just because it doesn't smell, doesn't mean it is harmless.

I am also a former smoker and dont want it near me; e-cig or cigarette.

edit: needs a poll
NetWareHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Markbnj
Programming

Eh, I don't think I disagree with you, but it sounds like your motives aren't very clear. Not surprising that a lot of companies don't have rules around these things yet, but when they do shake out I would bet he will not be able to use his e-cig in the office.

Some meaningless scribbling of no account

The 4th Realm

Arts and Letters Daily - Get some culture
Markbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
slightlyhuman
Lifer

been so long since i've made a poll i forgot how to =/ lifer fail.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Uppsala9496
Diamond Member

I'm surprised your office allows it. Mine won't allow ecig use (or chewing tobacco) in the office.

And I thought I read somewhere that even though there is no smell from ecigs, the vapor does release amounts of nicotine.
That can be a good argument for not wanting it around you. Say you don't want to be breathing in the nicotine.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Williz

Discuss it with your boss? You know the smart thing thing to do rather than bitch here... I wouldn't mind if he did it in his own space but it would it would annoy me if he was doing it in mine.
Williz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
slightlyhuman
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbnj View Post
Eh, I don't think I disagree with you, but it sounds like your motives aren't very clear. Not surprising that a lot of companies don't have rules around these things yet, but when they do shake out I would bet he will not be able to use his e-cig in the office.
Honestly I don't want the guy near me because he reeks of smoke to begin with.

My only motive is I don't think I should have to see his breath from an e-cig in MY personal space while I'm trying to help the guy be better at his job. He's been here a few months and didn't work out in other department(the guy is a fucking idiot) so they tried him in ours before they can him if he doesn't work out.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
highland145
Lifer

And the guy in the cube next to you has horrible flatulence. I'm sorry you're sniffing his butt.

He smells like cigarettes, no thanks.

Last edited by highland145; 02-20-2014 at 11:03 AM.
highland145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
slightlyhuman
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williz View Post
Discuss it with your boss? You know the smart thing thing to do rather than bitch here... I wouldn't mind if he did it in his own space but it would it would annoy me if he was doing it in mine.
I'm not necessarily bitching here. I'm looking for opinions of others. I just don't think the guy is being very smart about his new job here. I think you should request the permission of others before you do something like that.

If I'm being a tight ass about it then I won't say anything. However, I fail to see the logic in why I DON'T have that right to request he doesn't do that any more so than he DOES have that right to do it.

It's a small company, fwiw.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
AViking
Platinum Member

Ask him nicely. If he refuses that will set the tone of the relationship. "Yeah I refused to stop smoking my e-cig so now we don't like each other" as opposed to "that asshole went to the boss and tried to rat me out for smoking a fake cigarette - all he had to do was ask". Take the high ground. Be cool.
AViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

I don't blame you one bit. I wouldn't want him puffing his "water vapor" smoke in proximity to me either.

I honestly haven't seen anyone smoke those things in real life but I still don't want to breathe it. I doubt my company would allow anyone to smoke those things indoors anyway.

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
Doppel
Lifer

Agree with OP but I have a strong bias against smokers in general. My office would not allow this anymore than sitting there chewing tobacco. Take that nasty shit home or out with the dolts in the smoking area.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
oldsmoboat
Elite Member

My employer uses the same rules for e-cigs as real cigs: None in the buildings, vehicles or within 20 feet of doors.

It's not the odds that guide me, it's the stakes
oldsmoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoboat View Post
My employer uses the same rules for e-cigs as real cigs: None in the buildings, vehicles or within 20 feet of doors.
And it's a very sensible policy. I can't see any drug use on company property being something that's in the long-term interests of a business.
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
mmntech
Lifer

Tell your boss you don't think it's very professional for the new hire to be on his e-cig when he's supposed to be working. It's better they hear it from a higher up than you getting into a confrontation with them.

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
Clinkster

Try to work it out with him (which it looks like you did). If he does not oblige, escalate it to your boss. It's a perfectly reasonable request.

Don't expect any sympathy from smokers, they're the ones who don't give a damn in the first place. =/
CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.5 || MB: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro || GPU: Nvidia 570 GTX || RAM: Gskill 8 GB || Sound: Asus Xonar D1 || Display: Dell U2412M || 750 GB Samsung EVO & 640 GB WD Caviar Black || PSU: Seasonic Bronze 650W

CPU block: XSPC Raystorm || GPU block: EK-FC570 GTX SE EN+ Nickel/Clear Acrylic || Reservoir: XSPC RX360 || Pump: MCP655-B || Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Rev. 2
Clinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
hanoverphist
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
And it's a very sensible policy. I can't see any drug use on company property being something that's in the long-term interests of a business.
make sure to get the coffee and sodas out while youre at it. oh, and aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen. and all the prescribed things as well. these are all drugs, and in your workplace.

what about the ones with zero nicotine? whats your argument against those? you cant stand vapor within sight of you? really?

i know what your intent was, and i know i went a long way farther than was really necessary. but really, how bitchy/ whiny do you really need to be? grow a set of something and get on with your life. or waste your time with a whiny petition in your office and ruin some other peoples day to make you and your little group feel superior. either way, dont affect me. im a smoker, i go outside to smoke. i also have 4 or 5 different e-cigs that i was given by myriad nonsmokers so i can puff in my office/ home if i feel the need. thank you, but i can wait to go outside.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
NetWareHead
THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanoverphist View Post
make sure to get the coffee and sodas out while youre at it. oh, and aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen. and all the prescribed things as well. these are all drugs, and in your workplace.
Your intake of caffeine, tylenol etc... doesn't affect me and is limited to affecting solely your body. There is no exhalation that I have the chance of ingesting

Quote:
either way, dont affect me. im a smoker, i go outside to smoke. i also have 4 or 5 different e-cigs that i was given by myriad nonsmokers so i can puff in my office/ home if i feel the need. thank you, but i can wait to go outside.
Good, I'd rather you smoke/puff/vaporize outside too
NetWareHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
dabuddha
Lifer

Quote:

what about the ones with zero nicotine? whats your argument against those? you cant stand vapor within sight of you? really?

i know what your intent was, and i know i went a long way farther than was really necessary. but really, how bitchy/ whiny do you really need to be? grow a set of something and get on with your life. or waste your time with a whiny petition in your office and ruin some other peoples day to make you and your little group feel superior. either way, dont affect me. im a smoker, i go outside to smoke. i also have 4 or 5 different e-cigs that i was given by myriad nonsmokers so i can puff in my office/ home if i feel the need. thank you, but i can wait to go outside.
You're not actually stupid enough to think smoking is equivalent to drinking a soda, are you?

Heatware
dabuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #20
mizzou
Diamond Member

I'm trying to log in here...and read muh stories, and this guy's blowin smoke in my face!

There is decidedly something uncool about ecig smoking for some reason...I don't know what it is...but James Dean would not smoke an ecig...would he?

Also, these things are not government drug approved or studied yet either....so who knows what's really in that chinese vapor concoction you have.
mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #21
Platypus
Lifer

My two cents? It seems like you're mixing two issues in that you think this guy is a moron and hasn't earned his keep yet (how can he if he just started?) and him smoking his e-cig around you. It would be wise to disconnect the two in your head, otherwise it sounds like a spiteful move to me.

As far as you telling him not to do that around you? Perfectly acceptable in my opinion and if I smoked I would want to know if my actions were disturbing someone else and I would quickly remedy the issue right there. What he's doing is completely irrelevant if it's bothering you, potential harm or no, that's not the point here.
but you remember which is which
when the wrong man wins.

pics / android
Platypus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #22
KeithTalent
Administrator
Elite Member

I think they should be treated the same way as normal cigs; not allowed in the office.

KT
KeithTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #23
rcpratt
Diamond Member

Definitely uncool and definitely a valid complaint. I can't imagine why employers would allow this.
rcpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #24
Ruptga
Diamond Member

You can request whatever you want, and I'd expect your boss to side with you over a trainee.

In your position I wouldn't allow it either, especially if he is also a moron.
Ruptga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #25
Schfifty Five
Diamond Member

Agree with you OP. Just ask him politely at first. If he resists and still does it, tell him you're uncomfortable with it and you won't train him until he stops. He has to respect you as a trainer, a coworker, and your personal space.
Schfifty Five is offline   Reply With Quote