· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #9926
note235
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taserbro View Post
I can't fully explain the demand for it but the wallet itself was released more or less on time and it used bitcoin line commands (open a separate command window and use those commands https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_...API_calls_list). If you solo mined early enough you could get multiple blocks in minutes.

Here's some of my experience if anyone wants to give it a shot:

Solo cpu mining with the wallet is the only way to go right now because there's a bunch of problems with stratum that prevents pools from going up. The two that were up pretty much wasted everyone's cpu cycles. The mythical keccak cgminer was probably a scam or troll attempt so you can keep your gpus on doge or whatever.

The standard conf file is here: https://github.com/Max-Coin/clients/...e-maxcoin.conf
Pu it into %appdata%/roaming/maxcoin/maxcoin.conf before running the wallet.

Some people had connectivity issues and there was a new version released and some more nodes you can manually append into your conf file here: http://pastebin.com/ZkVMEuNL that would solve the issue.

To use it, open a cmd window and run it with a --daemon prefix. There's also a --benchmark thing that'll show you how fast your cpu can hash but it's not really that useful now.
Don't force close the cmd window afterwards or it will crash the wallet.
To check your balance, open another cmd window in the same directory as the wallet and type maxcoind.exe getbalance
To send, type maxcoind.exe sendtoaddress <address> <amount>

Also, a huge portion of the problems stemmed from idiots being overeager and not rtfm and not having the correct ports set up (8108 is the correct one that has to be specified in both conf and bat). Once you were connected, everything worked.

The difficulty went twentyfold in less than a day so I don't expect to be solo mining this as soon as there's a version of stratum that works and a legit pool goes up. But still someone did the math that you still have a 98% chance of grabbing a block every 24 hours as of now. Who knows what'll happen by tomorrow.

Oh and coins-e, the only exchange that's trading max is a massive pain in the patella. They queue your orders to the point there's not much point in trying to match the demand since they'll mostly go through a couple hours after the fact.

In any case, for those who got lucky and got some maxcoins, it was pretty damn profitable for half a day. I'm at 2.2btc in the wallet and I still have some maxcoins I'm not sure if I should keep and wait...
how do you find your address?
Geforce 670
256GB SSD
2x 2tb Raid 0
2x 3tb backup and Media
H100 and Corsair 650d
2x Catleap 27" 1440p
retina Macbook Pro 16gb
note235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #9927
geokilla
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooveriding View Post
Cheers to the failure that is Maxcoin. I knew this one would be popular. Setup a linux box and solo mined with two GTX 780s using the cudaminer. Found four blocks = 384 MAX

Coins-E is a pos website. Had to spend hours on end just spamming sale orders because most show as 'queued' while the rare ones instantly execute a sale. Made 4.8 BTC!!!! Putting some of this $$ aside to rebuy an Asus PQ321 4K monitor with gysnc installed.

Best fail coin ever. Some people must be hyped on this to be buying it up at those outrageous prices.

Going to leave the 780s solo-mining and see if I can get lucky and hit another block. I seriously doubt it though, found the first 3 blocks within 30 minutes of the launch and another about 2 hours later. Now nothing at all since.
You must have been spamming F5 like you had no life to get CUDAminer to work and to make 4.8 BTC...

This is one coin I'm happy to pass up on I guess. I've already wasted so much time F5ing and not doing homework. Come on FOX! I believe! I actually have more faith on FOX than CAT. CAT is a complete mess imo.
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB and Western Digital Black 1TB + Misc HDD
geokilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #9928
Grooveriding
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
You must have been spamming F5 like you had no life to get CUDAminer to work and to make 4.8 BTC...

This is one coin I'm happy to pass up on I guess. I've already wasted so much time F5ing and not doing homework. Come on FOX! I believe! I actually have more faith on FOX than CAT. CAT is a complete mess imo.
I lucked out by planning to run a linux box. The writer of cudaminer was saying a good week in advance he was going to adapt it for Maxcoin. Most of his work is always done on linux first, so I setup a linux install for it.

The linux version was up well before the coin even launched and he actually had the windows version ready just before the launch as well, but the maxcoin wallet on windows was a disaster from everything I read and wasn't working. The linux one was just fine

I think the mess that was the windows wallet gave a huge advantage to anyone mining on Linux from the get-go.

I spent about four hours spamming coins-e sell orders though. But that is a good $ per/hour rate, more than I make at work if I broke my salary down into a per/hour basis.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #9929
taserbro

Quote:
I lucked out by planning to run a linux box. The writer of cudaminer was saying a good week in advance he was going to adapt it for Maxcoin. Most of his work is always done on linux first, so I setup a linux install for it.

The linux version was up well before the coin even launched and he actually had the windows version ready just before the launch as well, but the maxcoin wallet on windows was a disaster from everything I read and wasn't working. The linux one was just fine

I think the mess that was the windows wallet gave a huge advantage to anyone mining on Linux from the get-go.

I spent about four hours spamming coins-e sell orders though. But that is a good $ per/hour rate, more than I make at work if I broke my salary down into a per/hour basis.
You were actually lucky with coins-e. I still have things stuck in queue right now, well more than 4 hours after I passed the orders.

If I put my tinfoilhat on, I would swear that they have heuristic algorithm that computes how much attention the user pays to it from the amount of spamming and interaction then just ignores the people who are patient enough to leave it alone and wait.
taserbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #9930
geokilla
Golden Member

Quote:

Well considering you made over $2000 even say 5 hours on top of making money at work... You just made enough to buy a car off Kijiji! Lol.

As for CAT... Why do miners keep on going back to it, push the difficulty up, then ditching? What are they trying to achieve? The devs themselves are in a mess and this following post I made and quoted certainly doesn't help their situation.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?to...683#msg4989683
Corsair AX750
Old 02-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #9931
x3sphere

Quote:
You were actually lucky with coins-e. I still have things stuck in queue right now, well more than 4 hours after I passed the orders.

If I put my tinfoilhat on, I would swear that they have heuristic algorithm that computes how much attention the user pays to it from the amount of spamming and interaction then just ignores the people who are patient enough to leave it alone and wait.
I had to basically spam sell orders to get them to go through. Try placing orders at different BTC amounts like 0.0101, 0.0102. It takes some time but eventually they go through. I have a hunch the way they control the orderbook is preventing any mass dumping from going on.
x3sphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #9932
slashbinslashbash
Golden Member

Quote:
I can't fully explain the demand for it but the wallet itself was released more or less on time and it used bitcoin line commands (open a separate command window and use those commands https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_...API_calls_list). If you solo mined early enough you could get multiple blocks in minutes.

Solo cpu mining with the wallet is the only way to go right now because there's a bunch of problems with stratum that prevents pools from going up. The two that were up pretty much wasted everyone's cpu cycles. The mythical keccak cgminer was probably a scam or troll attempt so you can keep your gpus on doge or whatever.

The standard conf file is here: https://github.com/Max-Coin/clients/...e-maxcoin.conf

Some people had connectivity issues and there was a new version released and some more nodes you can manually append into your conf file here: http://pastebin.com/ZkVMEuNL that would solve the issue.

To use it, open a cmd window and run it with a --daemon prefix. There's also a --benchmark thing that'll show you how fast your cpu can hash but it's not really that useful now.
To check your balance, open another cmd window in the same directory as the wallet and type maxcoind.exe getbalance

Also, a huge portion of the problems stemmed from idiots being overeager and not rtfm and not having the correct ports set up (8108 is the correct one that has to be specified in both conf and bat). Once you were connected, everything worked.

The difficulty went twentyfold in less than a day so I don't expect to be solo mining this as soon as there's a version of stratum that works and a legit pool goes up. But still someone did the math that you still have a 98% chance of grabbing a block every 24 hours as of now. Who knows what'll happen by tomorrow.

Oh and coins-e, the only exchange that's trading max is a massive pain in the patella. They queue your orders to the point there's not much point in trying to match the demand since they'll mostly go through a couple hours after the fact.

In any case, for those who got lucky and got some maxcoins, it was pretty damn profitable for half a day. I'm at 2.2btc in the wallet and I still have some maxcoins I'm not sure if I should keep and wait...
Thanks man, I got it CPU mining on 2 computers now. I had a hard time getting it connecting on the 2nd one, but I pulled up the peer list from the 1st one and added a couple of those peers to the conf file for the 2nd one.

Funny, my 2011 MBP running Win7 in Parallels on 1.5 CPU cores (3 virtual cores, i7 2.2GHz) is generating around 130k hashes per second while an old Dell XPS 15 laptop (Vista) with both Core 2 Duo cores (2.0GHz) is only hitting around 48k. That's a lot bigger performance delta than I was expecting.
Canon 5D|40D|17-40L|24-105L|70-200L|50/1.4|85/1.8|100/2.8 Macro|580EX|430EX|AlienBees

The Left is not merely gauche; it is downright sinister.
slashbinslashbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #9933
wand3r3r
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashbinslashbash View Post
Thanks man, I got it CPU mining on 2 computers now. I had a hard time getting it connecting on the 2nd one, but I pulled up the peer list from the 1st one and added a couple of those peers to the conf file for the 2nd one.

Funny, my 2011 MBP running Win7 in Parallels on 1.5 CPU cores (3 virtual cores, i7 2.2GHz) is generating around 130k hashes per second while an old Dell XPS 15 laptop (Vista) with both Core 2 Duo cores (2.0GHz) is only hitting around 48k. That's a lot bigger performance delta than I was expecting.
Are you getting any coins?

Currently following: http://techbuyersguru.com/hotdealsblog/
wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 AM   #9934
note235
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashbinslashbash View Post

how did you get it to solo mine?
Geforce 670
256GB SSD
2x 2tb Raid 0
2x 3tb backup and Media
H100 and Corsair 650d
2x Catleap 27" 1440p
retina Macbook Pro 16gb
note235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #9935
KlokWyze
Diamond Member

I can't be bothered to mess with that maxcoin BS, but I still intend to setup some XPM miners.

Burning my motherboard in now. Hopefully it's not actually burning.....
KlokWyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #9936
IEC
Lifer

Hmm... BTC dropping under $700 USD
Old 02-07-2014, 01:26 AM   #9937
KlokWyze
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
Yeah watching this closely. I may buy in through Coinbase if it drops really low.

So, after replacing the motherboard and just mining with ONE (originally 2) card. I'm not seeing any cords/wires overheat. The reason I decided to throw 1 card in was because I noticed this:

Voltages on new motherboard (not showing 12V rails...?):

Let me confirm that the overheating issue was DEFINITELY happening when mining with EITHER card. So I think the motherboard is damaged. No visible signed of anything f*(ked up on it though.

Possible the card with the burnt out fuses damaged the motherboard? Man.... I really want to use it.... I miss the hashes!!!!! Guess I'll just RMA this puppy.
KlokWyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:30 AM   #9938
taserbro

Quote:
News that Gox is struggling to keep their shit together right now and it's dragging the whole market down...
https://www.mtgox.com/press_release_20140207.html

If it drops solidly below 650 I'm buying in.
taserbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:44 AM   #9939
slashbinslashbash
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wand3r3r View Post
Are you getting any coins?
Ha, no. The network hashrate has gone through the roof, it looks like people are figuring out how to mine with cudaminer and getting pretty high rates. In fact, some claim that properly configured cgminer (on Linux only, so far) can do several MH/s on CPU only, an order of magnitude better than I'm getting with the wallet miner. So I turned it off on my MBP (it's my main computer and don't want to burn up the CPU in a futile effort) but it's still running on the old Dell, but it'll take hella luck to get a block at these hash rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by note235 View Post
how did you get it to solo mine?
Just followed the instructions from taserbro... put the .conf file in the right place, got some nodes set up, and the "gen=1" in the .conf file sets it to start mining. It just started mining on its own once it found enough peers and got caught up on the blockchain.... can verify hashrate with "maxcoind getmininginfo" in a 2nd command window once the daemon is running.

This was my first time running a command line wallet client for any coin, pretty cool to see how it works and to know that the GUI wallets are just a pretty face. Even though I got in too late to matter, now I know more about these things for the next coin that comes around with a shoddy initial implementation.

EDIT: Also sold all my BTC at $743 on coinbase. Hopefully I'll be able to buy back in at the $500 range. It looks like this MtGox disaster is going to last several days, hopefully it starts a panic and I can pick up some coins and maybe some more hardware on the cheap.

(BTW I've been mining BTC with BFL ASICs the past couple of weeks... bought a bunch of them locally, sold most of them on eBay, got my money back and still have 300GH/s left over, hopefully enough to earn me ~2BTC before the difficulty gets too high for them to be profitable. If you can find a local craigslist seller and get them talking to you, and manage to haggle them WAY down to reasonable price levels, you can do the eBay flip and walk away with cash or "free" equipment (minus your efforts of course).)
Canon 5D|40D|17-40L|24-105L|70-200L|50/1.4|85/1.8|100/2.8 Macro|580EX|430EX|AlienBees

The Left is not merely gauche; it is downright sinister.

Last edited by slashbinslashbash; 02-07-2014 at 01:58 AM.
slashbinslashbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #9940
Z15CAM

Quote:
If it drops solidly below 650 I'm buying in.
Lets hope AMD MSRP pricing reestablishes.
Z15CAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:22 AM   #9941
x3sphere

MaxCoin is actually going up... 0.019 now. And during a BTC crash of all times.

edit: shot up to 0.38 now, holy shit. I've made 12 BTC off this now

Last edited by x3sphere; 02-07-2014 at 03:39 AM.
x3sphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:25 AM   #9942
wand3r3r
Platinum Member

I saw something about a "modern" BTC wallet which doesn't need the huge HDD space. Is there a safe alternative? I'd like to withdraw a little BTC from an exchange but it's annoying to setup the BTC wallet again and wait for it to synch and fill up the hdd. I'd like to be able to use small amounts of BTC without the old clunky wallet.

Currently following: http://techbuyersguru.com/hotdealsblog/
wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #9943
JBT
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwayman View Post
I got about 330k out of that config. The settings I've googled for it are all over the place too. Wonder if it matters the specific card? I have a sapphire.
Try 8001 or 8000 TC actually. 8193 was an old config of mine.

I leave the RAM at 1500 normally though 1250 seems to work fine. The core speed has not mattered for me, 800-1125 gpu-engine have the same results. I also leave PowerTune alone.
Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD | AsRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3| Asus R9 290 DCUII @ 1000 core / 1500 memory | 2x Seagate 1.5 TB HDD's in RAID1 | CoolMaster 750 watt |2 x 4GB GSkill RipSaw DDR3 1600 |
HEAT
NXT Address: 3697153996474214336
My journey from Beast to BEAST!
JBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #9944
JBT
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wand3r3r View Post
I saw something about a "modern" BTC wallet which doesn't need the huge HDD space. Is there a safe alternative? I'd like to withdraw a little BTC from an exchange but it's annoying to setup the BTC wallet again and wait for it to synch and fill up the hdd. I'd like to be able to use small amounts of BTC without the old clunky wallet.
I use Multi Bit, syncs with in minutes and doesn't require huge amounts of space.
https://multibit.org/
Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD | AsRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3| Asus R9 290 DCUII @ 1000 core / 1500 memory | 2x Seagate 1.5 TB HDD's in RAID1 | CoolMaster 750 watt |2 x 4GB GSkill RipSaw DDR3 1600 |
HEAT
NXT Address: 3697153996474214336
My journey from Beast to BEAST!
JBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #9945
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

Quote:

You do realize that solo-mining Maxcoin with a CPU at this point is basically pointless. Reasons:

- Difficulty is currently in the 800's.
- People with Nvidia video cards have been pushing 200-300+ MH/s
- There's a huge pool set up where the top 5 members comprise something like 5 GH/s, and the total pool hashrate is probably something like 10 GH/s

Yes, that's right, I said NVIDIA video cards are getting 200-300 MEGAHASHES per second. Not a typo.

I honestly have no idea why people are paying out the ass for such a broken coin. It is seriously destabilizing to the market in general.
so payments. dogecoins. wow. DU2Qq9ioEP6unPSJJnR4oY4bBG2hATiQMS
SunnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #9946
geokilla
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
I honestly have no idea why people are paying out the ass for such a broken coin. It is seriously destabilizing to the market in general.
And that's why people say Cryptocoins are going to die in the future.
Corsair AX750
Old 02-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #9947
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

Quote:
Apple just dumped all the bitcoin wallet apps from their store. Maybe that's why. I wonder if the Android apps are next.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #9948
Grooveriding
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
You do realize that solo-mining Maxcoin with a CPU at this point is basically pointless. Reasons:

- Difficulty is currently in the 800's.
- People with Nvidia video cards have been pushing 200-300+ MH/s
- There's a huge pool set up where the top 5 members comprise something like 5 GH/s, and the total pool hashrate is probably something like 10 GH/s

Yes, that's right, I said NVIDIA video cards are getting 200-300 MEGAHASHES per second. Not a typo.

GTX 780 gets about 200000 khash/s
Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #9949
KingFatty
Platinum Member

There is an article on the Verge about coinbase getting attacked and people losing their money.

I always thought of coinbase as the legit place to go, so it's just more bad news for the cryptocoin world:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/7/538...wallet-service
KingFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #9950
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFatty View Post
There is an article on the Verge about coinbase getting attacked and people losing their money.

I always thought of coinbase as the legit place to go, so it's just more bad news for the cryptocoin world:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/7/538...wallet-service
This is concerning since it potentially could happen to me, but it also doesn't seem to be an attack on Coinbase directly:

Quote:
The FireEye researchers agreed: none of these attacks seem to be targeting Coinbase’s own infrastructure. Every indication suggests they are individual exploits targeting individual accounts, and Coinbase’s own user agreement clearly states that users are "responsible for maintaining adequate security and control of any and all IDs, passwords, personal identification numbers, or any other codes that you use to access Coinbase services."
I use 2FA, refuse to install any crypto smartphone app other than widgets such as Bitcoin Paranoid, and use VPN when connected to any wifi hotspots. Security is only as good as the end user.

EDIT >> I should also mention I refuse to use Google Authenticator for fear that someone could gain access to my Google/Gmail account and easily have access to that as well. I use Authy instead.
Pressure Cooker Grid Power Smart Body scanner Electric Failure Ammonium nitrate Brown Out
Bridge Organized crime National security State emergency Security Breach Threat Standoff
SWAT Screening Virus Environmental Terrorist Dock

Last edited by AnonymouseUser; 02-07-2014 at 10:39 AM.
AnonymouseUser is offline   Reply With Quote