· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #26
dmcowen674
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Could it also be that consumers are realizing that Walmart's prices really aren't the best on a lot of products?

Consumers don't remember that many prices. So, when they see those common things - certain groceries, paper towels, etc., a little cheaper at Walmart, they assume everything is cheaper at Walmart. That is not true though.
That's why I made a Poll in OT but it got locked.

Could not create the Poll in this thread so had to make a new one here.

So where do you shop?
dmcowen674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #27
dmcowen674
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckem View Post
And for me, just like its sister company Aldis, Trader Joe tends to be cheaper than Walmart. However, both have limited selections.

I shop at Aldi's, Trader Joes, Cost Co and Walmart Neighborhood Market. Sometimes I end up at Tom Thumb or Kroger, especially win Coke/Dr Pepper is one sale for less than $2.50/12 pack. It just depends what I need as not everyone carries everything.
So you spend a lot of time and wasting gas driving all around town for your grocery needs?

Is this what all Americans are doing now?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #28
Matt1970
Lifer

Quote:
Could it also be that consumers are realizing that Walmart's prices really aren't the best on a lot of products? Consumers don't remember that many prices. So, when they see those common things - certain groceries, paper towels, etc., a little cheaper at Walmart, they assume everything is cheaper at Walmart. That is not true though.
I have always thought that.
Matt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #29
GoPackGo
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcowen674 View Post
Where do you shop?
I buy American made products whenever I can.

But with increases in all insurance premiums(Health Care, Car, Auto), expensive gas and ever rising food costs there is very little left to save or spend on "fun" things.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #30
Born2bwire
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
Ruining your follow up post.
You're doing God's work.
Born2bwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #31
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Couldn't pay me to shop at Walmart. Friggin shitholes.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #32
glenn1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
Couldn't pay me to shop at Walmart. Friggin shitholes.
Yeah, imagine "People of Wal-Mart" if instead it was the "dmcowens of Wal-Mart."
Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #33
Wreckem
Diamond Member

Quote:
So you spend a lot of time and wasting gas driving all around town for your grocery needs?

Sorry I don't live in the middle of no where. All those places except trader joes are within a mile or two of my place.

Aldis, Tom Thumb, Kroger and Walmart are all on the same road and in the span of less than .25 miles. Aldis is the farthest away so I go there first and hop along to the others depending on what I need. Also depends on the weeks sales ads.

Only go to costco every two weeks. Costco is in the opposite direction but less than a mile door to door. I only go to trader joes when I am on the way back from visiting family as it's on the way to and from. I stock up on certain things that I prefer from there.

If you aren't shopping at multiple stores you are paying way more than you should be. Grocery stores love people that don't price shop and only shop at one(their) store as that's how they make their money.

Last edited by Wreckem; 02-05-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Wreckem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #34
bozack
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2bwire View Post
You're doing God's work.
I concur, the post blocking was epic
Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #35
waggy
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
Ruining your follow up post.
FTW!

Quote:
Could it also be that consumers are realizing that Walmart's prices really aren't the best on a lot of products? Consumers don't remember that many prices. So, when they see those common things - certain groceries, paper towels, etc., a little cheaper at Walmart, they assume everything is cheaper at Walmart. That is not true though.
I do think that is part of it. Walmart is not the best price on about 1/4th of what we buy. The fruit/veggies and meat are terrible.

I do hit walmart for most of it though. it is cheaper.

though i been shopping at hyvee more. the generic stuff is just slightly higher but the rest of the stuff comes out cheaper. so overall it comes out about the same.

the one huge thing walmart still has is i can get everything i need in 1 store. so when i need stuff for the house/fields i can hit walmart. big stuff i still go to farm and fleet.
waggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #36
Engineer
Elite Member

Not sure whether it's Walmart is too expensive for the middle class or that many of the middle class are taking a step down to lower class and can't afford Walmart (which I suspect is true). I guess those low wage service jobs are great...until you realize that your consumers now longer have enough money to buy your products.

Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue!!!

"Opportunities look a lot like work" - Ashton Kutcher
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #37
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

Quote:

I support the hometown grocery store; they employ a lot of the local kids, pay them well, and last I knew, made huge donations to local charities, year after year. But, when I shop, I always get the best food I can get, that means going to a variety of places. Lately, I've only been grocery shopping about once a week, since it's just two of us. But, I also went to Aldis this week, particularly so I could buy a dozen 16" non-stick pizza pans. (See name), and while there, bought some produce. Their bananas were the cheapest and best looking of all the places I grocery shopped this week (and packaged in plastic bags, rather than just sitting loosely). And, picked up 4 pints of awesome looking blackberries for 99 cents a pint, and some kiwi fruit, and a big package of blueberries (And they all taste awesome.) Meanwhile, at BJ's, they had really nice packages of red raspberries, so picked up a couple of those, a couple bags of chopped romaine lettuce, and some really nice dog bones for the dogs. Still hadn't seen nice strawberries, and struck out again at Wallyworld. Ribeyes are consistently nice at the local grocery store, and we pick up other produce there - baby carrots, those little cucumbers, sunflower seeds, etc. So, yes, I shop at multiple places. I want the nicest looking produce and meats I can get.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #38
Nebor
Lifer

I can't get with this multiple stores gig. Going to the store is inconvenience enough. Some of you are going to 4 or 5 different stores to get different things?! It's like the olden days, where you had a baker, a butcher, a druggist, etc.

I have noticed that the selection of some non-food goods at Central Market\Whole Foods sucks compared to say, Walmart or Target. Like garbage bags, ziplock bags, etc.
"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" -Lieutenant-General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart
Nebor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #39
Wreckem
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebor View Post
I can't get with this multiple stores gig. Going to the store is inconvenience enough. Some of you are going to 4 or 5 different stores to get different things?! It's like the olden days, where you had a baker, a butcher, a druggist, etc.

I have noticed that the selection of some non-food goods at Central Market\Whole Foods sucks compared to say, Walmart or Target. Like garbage bags, ziplock bags, etc.
Non grocery goods like paper goods and trash bags = costco.

As for shopping at multiple places. I probably wouldn't as much if they weren't all bunched together. It's not really much more of an inconvenience when they are altogether. I have a whole foods near by but I avoid that place like the plague.
Wreckem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #40
dmcowen674
No Lifer

Quote:
I support the hometown grocery store; they employ a lot of the local kids, pay them well, and last I knew, made huge donations to local charities, year after year. But, when I shop, I always get the best food I can get, that means going to a variety of places. Lately, I've only been grocery shopping about once a week, since it's just two of us. But, I also went to Aldis this week, particularly so I could buy a dozen 16" non-stick pizza pans. (See name), and while there, bought some produce. Their bananas were the cheapest and best looking of all the places I grocery shopped this week (and packaged in plastic bags, rather than just sitting loosely). And, picked up 4 pints of awesome looking blackberries for 99 cents a pint, and some kiwi fruit, and a big package of blueberries (And they all taste awesome.) Meanwhile, at BJ's, they had really nice packages of red raspberries, so picked up a couple of those, a couple bags of chopped romaine lettuce, and some really nice dog bones for the dogs. Still hadn't seen nice strawberries, and struck out again at Wallyworld. Ribeyes are consistently nice at the local grocery store, and we pick up other produce there - baby carrots, those little cucumbers, sunflower seeds, etc. So, yes, I shop at multiple places. I want the nicest looking produce and meats I can get.
Have not been able to afford a Ribeye since beef went to $10 a lb.

That is why I see people with the Government stamps come to the check out with a cart full of Ribeyes.

Looks like I should stop working, then I can enjoy Ribeye.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #41
dmcowen674
No Lifer

Quote:
Guess that is why our gas consumption is not dropping faster.

Americans are apparently running around like chickens with their heads cut off just to get groceries.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #42
Nebor
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckem View Post
Non grocery goods like paper goods and trash bags = costco.

As for shopping at multiple places. I probably wouldn't as much if they weren't all bunched together. It's not really much more of an inconvenience when they are altogether. I have a whole foods near by but I avoid that place like the plague.
I have pretty much every major retailer within 2 miles of me, but I still don't want to go to more than one place. Their proximity to one another doesn't alleviate the problems of parking lot warriors, idiots blocking aisles, etc. And while I like the products at Central Market, all the extraneous horseshit like free wine\beer tastings and live music drive me ballistic, because they cause people to just loiter all over the place. I get in at least one Larry David-esque petty squabble per trip.
"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" -Lieutenant-General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart
Old 02-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #43
Nebor
Lifer

Quote:
Guess that is why our gas consumption is not dropping faster.

Americans are apparently running around like chickens with their heads cut off just to get groceries.
Maybe a better poll would be how much you spend per person per month on groceries.

My credit card analysis tool tells me I spend $470\mo at the grocery store, and I'm a single guy that eats out frequently. I do have a gallon of milk a day habit though.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #44
WilliamM2

Quote:
Those of us with jobs actually pass by many different stores on our drive home from work. And I don't have to stop at the two I buy groceries from on the same day either.

Not sure why it's tough for you.
WilliamM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #45
sportage
Diamond Member

Walmart is facing more completion.
The way I see it, anyway.
In the past they were the only guy on the block.
Now I find more cost cutting store chains building right within walmarts sacred pissing ground.
That's a new one....
Example, a food chain called ALDI grocery, started building stores directly next to or across from Wally.
No doubt cutting in on their territory.
So Wally must raise those prices to make up for the loss.
Most stores might follow the theory of competition, but not Wally.
Hopefully their loyals won't notice the higher prices.

Last edited by sportage; 02-05-2014 at 11:04 PM.
sportage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #46
compuwiz1
Admin Emeritus
Elite Member

I can't stand the atmosphere in Walmart. Trashy people who don't control their kids and around here English is not the primary language you hear in there. I've only bought a couple things at Walmart in the past year, music and cheap DVDs. We go to our local bakery outlet for bread and pastries. We have a Winco here, so much of our groceries come from there and I find their prices on par with Walmart's foods, but better quality, in general. When it comes to eating good steaks, we have two local butcher shops that have far and away better meat than any of the grocery stores. We also still have a couple locally owned department stores that have good old fashioned, made in USA quality goods. I support those whenever possible. I also like dealing with locals who know your name when you come in, like it was growing up.
compuwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #47
OverVolt
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compuwiz1 View Post
I can't stand the atmosphere in Walmart. Trashy people who don't control their kids and around here English is not the primary language you hear in there. I've only bought a couple things at Walmart in the past year, music and cheap DVDs. We go to our local bakery outlet for bread and pastries. We have a Winco here, so much of our groceries come from there and I find their prices on par with Walmart's foods, but better quality, in general. When it comes to eating good steaks, we have two local butcher shops that have far and away better meat than any of the grocery stores. We also still have a couple locally owned department stores that have good old fashioned, made in USA quality goods. I support those whenever possible. I also like dealing with locals who know your name when you come in, like it was growing up.
That pretty much IS the middle class now.

How many drunken adventure movies can they make? How many reality TV shows will people watch? etc.

Last edited by OverVolt; 02-06-2014 at 12:17 AM.
OverVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:49 AM   #48
dmcowen674
No Lifer

Quote:
Maybe a better poll would be how much you spend per person per month on groceries.

My credit card analysis tool tells me I spend $470\mo at the grocery store, and I'm a single guy that eats out frequently.

I do have a gallon of milk a day habit though.
$470 plus you eat out a lot?

Yikes, think you might like to try and cut that in half with water instead???

Do you want to live past 40?
Old 02-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #49
Doppel
Lifer

Quote:
Have not been able to afford a Ribeye since beef went to $10 a lb.
This is why I have nothing but scorn for you. The price of beef is half what you just mentioned. Learn how to use the internet, troll.
Quote:
That's why I made a Poll in OT but it got locked.
Your thread in OT got locked because it was a double-post, and I was the first to point it out. I hope you enjoyed it getting locked.
Quote:
Do you want to live past 40?
Aren't you obese? Maybe you should not call the kettle black and work on your own health first.

Last edited by Doppel; 02-06-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #50
KK
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
This is why I have nothing but scorn for you. The price of beef is half what you just mentioned. Learn how to use the internet, troll.Your thread in OT got locked because it was a double-post, and I was the first to point it out. I hope you enjoyed it getting locked.Aren't you obese? Maybe you should not call the kettle black and work on your own health first.
Price of a ribeye is around 10 bucks that I can see from shopping locally, where is it $5?
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
KK is offline   Reply With Quote