· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Sithtiger

Question Getting Kicked to Desktop While Playing Games Like SWTOR......

So I have an application I believe that is kicking me out of games...well I only play 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Battlefield 3. When I'm playing SWTOR, it kicks me out to the desktop. Let me be clear though, it's not crashing, because I can get back into the game by clicking on the icon or clicking Alt+Tab. Now, the only thing I've installed was Ninite. For those that don't know, Ninite is an open source app that will update all the selected programs for you and of those programs, these are the ones that I asked it to update. Firefox, Chrome, Silverlight, Air, Java, Java x64, Shockwave, uTorrent, 7-Zip, Steam, Auslogics, Skydrive, VLC, Spotify, Google Drive, Dropbox, Evernote, iTunes, .NET, Google Earth, Malwarebyte, Ad-Aware and Spybot 2.

I made sure that I turned off any automatic scanning from them, but I'm still getting kicked to the desktop when playing SWTOR. When I play Battlefield 3, it's as if it tries to kick me, but it blacks out only for a second and then comes back to the game. It's REALLY annoying especially when playing SWTOR, because the game is so huge that even my rather speedy computer takes a few seconds to load back. It's do or die when playing PvP in SWTOR and something like that means that you will die if you're playing PvP.

I don't know what else it could be, because these are the programs (actually Ninite) was installed prior to this happening. I actually had this problem prior to this with SWTOR, but this only happened once in a while and by that I mean maybe once a week so no biggie. Now, this happens about every 30 minutes or so. I'm just guessing.

If I knew of the offending program, I would either disable or uninstall it. I've looked at Task Manager and can't find which one it is, because TM doesn't show it as an application running. That said, I'm sure there is a process running for it, but I don't know what it is. It's not as if I can look in the logs because it's not an error. Does anyone have any ideas how to identify the offending program?

BTW, I've gone into MSCONFIG and disabled everything except the essential programs like Antivirus, keyboard and mouse support etc. I don't even have Ad-Aware or Spybot starting, and those services are set to manual, but it does seem logical that it's one of them.

TL;DR: I get kicked to the desktop while playing SWTOR and can't figure out what program is causing it.

Thanks in advance!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 16337 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 28699 MB; E: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 12541 MB;
Motherboard: MSI, Z77A-G45 (MS-7752)
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled
Core i5-3570K CPU / MSI, Z77A-G45 Motherboard / 16GB 4x4GB of PC3-12800U DDR3 G.Skill RAM / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 SC Video Card / Western Digital 1TB HD/Western Digital 500GB HD / Lite-On 16X Dual Layer SOHW-1693S Burner / Corsair HX850 850 watt PSU / Windows 7 x64
Sithtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Matt1970
Lifer

You aren't accidentally hitting the start menu key are you?
Matt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Steltek
Golden Member

You might try swapping out your keyboard.

If you have one or more worn keyswitches, pushing those keys in tandem might be putting out a signal that the system interprets as WIN+M or WIN+D (both of which will minimize all running applications to the desktop).

You can disable the hotkeys to test it out:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html
Steltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
Sithtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1970 View Post
You aren't accidentally hitting the start menu key are you?
Lol, no I'm not. It will do this when I'm not even hitting any keys actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steltek View Post
You might try swapping out your keyboard.

If you have one or more worn keyswitches, pushing those keys in tandem might be putting out a signal that the system interprets as WIN+M or WIN+D (both of which will minimize all running applications to the desktop).

You can disable the hotkeys to test it out:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html
Thanks, I'll try disabling the hotkeys, but like I stated above, it will do this when I'm not even touching anything. As of recently, it sometimes will do this when I just get into the game. I don't think it's the keys, but I'll still disable them and see what happens.

Thanks to both of you. I'll try this and report back.
Core i5-3570K CPU / MSI, Z77A-G45 Motherboard / 16GB 4x4GB of PC3-12800U DDR3 G.Skill RAM / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 SC Video Card / Western Digital 1TB HD/Western Digital 500GB HD / Lite-On 16X Dual Layer SOHW-1693S Burner / Corsair HX850 850 watt PSU / Windows 7 x64
Sithtiger is offline   Reply With Quote