· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #26
SuperPuppy

Well, I installed the 3rd board and....
Audio out of the rear green jack right out of the box.

This means I either somehow damaged the board the exact same way while installing the board or I received two bad boards.
If it is the later, I want the hundred hours of my life back that I spent troubleshooting this issue.

Before I removed the board, I tested the HDMI port after I removed the graphic cards.
It sent both the video and audio to the TV.
I still only had audio out of the Headphone jack and not the rear green jack.

Now I have a new problem, this board doesn't see my 2nd graphic card (yet) I removed and replaced the card without results, but I am done for the night.

I do regret that I didn't bet bankster55 that he could resolve the sound issue in 10 minutes like he promised in his post.
I do thank him and BirthdayMonkey for the assistance you both gave me.
SuperPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #27
vailr
Diamond Member

REALTEK High Definition Audio Version R2.70 (6.0.1.6844)
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/realtek_audio.htm

vailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #28
SuperPuppy

Last follow-up.
I was able to get both my video cards working so now I have a 100% working system.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #29
birthdaymonkey
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPuppy View Post
Last follow-up.
I was able to get both my video cards working so now I have a 100% working system.
Congrats!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #30
bankster55
Golden Member

um, I didnt say I could fix your prob in 10 minutes, I said i could figure it out in 10 min if I was sitting there - merely by hooking up my portable oscilliscope to the output on a mini connector cable hooked into the green port and checking to see if there was any output at all. It either puts out signal or it doesnt.

I also seriously doubt that 2 mobo had "bad" sound chips. There are so many things it could have been, like tightening the 9 mobo mounting screws too tight during first install and squeezing the delicate 6 layer mobo very tight in some place. Once done, breadboarding to test may not be of any use. I have also seen this happen with installing a stock Intel cooler (with mobo out of case) and a CM 212+

But hey, a win is a win no matter how it happens. Just glad it wasnt involving the new non Pegatron manuf mobo. Kinda funny, been five months since changeover and have not yet seen one with a Oct or later date.
I actually have ~8000 AT posts, was in first group to join Sep. 99 (text only format) - just too lazy to import my info. In fact, its kinda nice to be anonymous. Remember those live meet and greet other local AT members OT threads?

bankster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #31
SuperPuppy

I don't think there there was much need for an oscilliscope, I could tell there was nothing coming out of the rear green jack because I never heard that slight "pop" when you plug in the speakers.

Yeah, I should had known not to use my power drill with a phillips bit to drive in those nine screws.
Actually, I used a precision screwdriver (the one that the top part doesn't spin) a size too small. (I still can't find the rest of the set)
So the screwdriver popped out as soon as the screw stopped... I don't think I screwed it in too tight.

I am reusing the Astek closed loop liquid cooling system, all I had to do was to buy a new retaining ring to fit the new board.
The retaining ring uses thumbscrews that can only go so far into the board. You do not need any downward pressure to get the screws in (unlike the push pins) It was easy as pie for me to mount the heatsink on the CPU after I screwed in the board.

I agree that it is very unlikely that ASUS would put out two boards with identical problems. I think that it even more unlikely that an experienced person damaged two boards the exact same way...
Old 03-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #32
bankster55
Golden Member

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I normally dont answer audio issue posts - its a losing proposition. However I felt PITY for you and answered anyways, despite my better judgement.

And of course you now pay me back with your smarmy Mr. Know-It-All comments. Its become a contest to show that you are smarter than me. Now that you have your solution, I knew you were not going to just let it go, since your feelings appear hurt that I didnt recognize your infinite PC troubleshooting knowledge and expertise.

So why dont you just get along with your life, and next time you have an issue, I'm sure you will be able to fix it by yourself eventually without posting here, since you are such an advanced user.

And thank you for curing me of posting here in mobo forum - I only really come to AT nowadays for the Hot Deals forum.
I actually have ~8000 AT posts, was in first group to join Sep. 99 (text only format) - just too lazy to import my info. In fact, its kinda nice to be anonymous. Remember those live meet and greet other local AT members OT threads?

bankster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #33
SuperPuppy

Funny, I have been an ass to you in my posts to you since the tone you used in one of your earlier posts (2-20-2013 @11:39pm) and now you react to this?

You threw out a couple of legit ideas in your last post on how I could have damaged the boards. I was just saying that those ideas couldn't happen because of...
Maybe I did somehow damaged the first two boards, I was just eliminating the two ideas you threw out because they could not be true.
If there really is a sound issue with some of those boards, ASUS and potential buyers should know.

I troubleshooted the hell out of the two mobos and I thought I covered all the bases before I asked for help. You threw out a few good ideas that I did not think of and I tried every one of them. And some were a pain in the neck to do.
And I thanked you repeatedly for your help.

No, it is not a contest, I could never win if it was, I don't know how to use an oscilliscope..
I don't like to be condescended, it was all about that...
Reread what you wrote and maybe you will understand.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #34
jaqie
Platinum Member

for anyone finding this thread: anyone with intel HD audio especially that uses the realtek chip on the motherboard whether it admits to it or not... there is a very simple solution.

installing the default realtek drivers direct from their site after uninstalling all other drivers
when you install those specific drivers, the default behavior is for the realtek panel to pop up when it detects something plugged into any of the jacks back or front and asks you to assign that port to something. Intel azalia HD audio codec requires anything compliant with that standard to have reassignable audio ports and some drivers really munge this up. In realtek's reference drivers, you can even click the picture of the jacks and assign ports manually if and when it doesn't auto detect something inserted. It actually detects things by an impedance change on the chip and signals the software to pop up the assign dialog box for that port.

This is extremely important for anyone who works with computers regularly to know and remember, I am honestly jaw agape that no one in this thread already seemed to know this. If the audio does not work after being assigned and using the test button in the speaker test tab with properly assigned realtek HD drivers, the chip or something else hardware on the motherboard is faulty, if you are using known good working speakers.
jaqie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #35
whiskeyninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqie View Post
for anyone finding this thread: anyone with intel HD audio especially that uses the realtek chip on the motherboard whether it admits to it or not... there is a very simple solution.

installing the default realtek drivers direct from their site after uninstalling all other drivers
when you install those specific drivers, the default behavior is for the realtek panel to pop up when it detects something plugged into any of the jacks back or front and asks you to assign that port to something. Intel azalia HD audio codec requires anything compliant with that standard to have reassignable audio ports and some drivers really munge this up. In realtek's reference drivers, you can even click the picture of the jacks and assign ports manually if and when it doesn't auto detect something inserted. It actually detects things by an impedance change on the chip and signals the software to pop up the assign dialog box for that port.

This is extremely important for anyone who works with computers regularly to know and remember, I am honestly jaw agape that no one in this thread already seemed to know this. If the audio does not work after being assigned and using the test button in the speaker test tab with properly assigned realtek HD drivers, the chip or something else hardware on the motherboard is faulty, if you are using known good working speakers.
Haha!

I am going to be THAT guy.

The guy that actually posts to the forum that explained and solved the issue he was having.

I was having the exact same problem outlined in the thread, and was beginning to dread RMAing my Maximus V Formula, when I tried the advice quoted above. Works like a charm!

Headphone and rear speaker jack work perfectly. I miss the snazzy interface for realtek that came with the install CD, but working audio is much preferred.

Thanks for helping!
whiskeyninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #36
snmnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPuppy View Post
I think you found something sir.
I bet this is the problem, the driver is thinking that it is an input jack instead of an output jack, but why?

I uninstalled & deleted the Realtek drivers, rebooted and the system installed the generic Microsoft audio drivers
Same problem, I only got audio from the headphone jack and not the rear panel no matter what combination of speakers/headphones in the jacks and the Microsoft settings.

This time I did not get any input options

It seems the Mobo is telling the computer that the rear green jack is an input device... would that be a BIOS issue? I have the latest one installed.

Default speakers with my computer speakers test: No Audio
Default speakers with my headset test: No Audio
Default HD Audio 2nd output (Headphone jack) with my computer speakers test: Audio in each channel
Default HD Audio 2nd output (Headphone jack) with my headset test: Audio in each channel

Yes, I think I posted above that I tried every possible combination on that page. each time I only got audio from the headphone jack.

I remember you being active and helpful in the other thread, I appreciate you jumping in an helping me out here.
I uninstalled/deleted and re-installed the Realteck drivers.
It gave me the same list of inputs as I posted above.
All were set to 0 except the Rear Green in, that was set for 100

HD Audio in bios: I can only change the front panel to AC'97, but it is checked on HD
HD RT X64 drivers: Installed Realtek_Audio_V51006699_6016699_XPWin7_8 from downloading from the MAXIMUS V FORMULA Windows 7 64bit Download page
HD named molex to mobo audio header: Yellow 10-1 pin mobo audio header pluged into AAFP
The only other audio connections on the mobo is for a 4-1 SPDIF-OUT. Not connected because I do not have a digital output on my front panel.
I had DIVX, CCCP and ffdshow installed in my last setup (ASUS Striker Extreme) without an issue. (Yes, it might have been overkill)
I uninstalled all of them and installed KLite and I still have the exact same issue.
But then again, if a codec issue is causing the problem, wouldn't I not be able to get audio from the front jack as well?
The are only three audio options in the bios:
1. Turn on/off the on-board audio (Set to ON)
2. Front panel connection AC'97 or HD (set to HD)
3. SPDIF Out Type SPDIF or HDMI (Set to SPDIF)
There are no other mentions of audio settings or connections in the mobo manual other than what I listed above regarding the bios settings and the mobo itself.
I am not sure how to turn off the chipset without turning off all my audio.

I disconnected the phone headset, web cam, Bluetooth (so the Realtek audio was the only audio device in the Device Manager) before I installed and re installed the Realtek drivers. It worked the same way before, with the MS drivers and after the Realtek reinstall (Only the headphone jack worked for both the headphones and speakers)

I looked at the latest NVIDIA Driver install and there is no mention of it touching the audio

It works exactly the same with System Startup Sound, System Notifications, WMA, MP3 in both WMP and iTunes, all types of video clips and YouTube.

No matter what I do, there is no audio coming out of the rear green jack, even though the Realtek Audio Manager (when installed) senses when I plug in the speakers or the headphones, it says it is working properly in the Device Manager, and I even get a bouncy green line in the Windows Audio Mixer when I try to play audio through the jack.
In just about each situation (except when I physically disconnected the audio front panel header from the mobo) I could hear the audio with the headphone/computer speakers through the headphone (front panel) jack.

Both the mobo I have now, and the one that I returned did the exact same thing.

Can anyone address why it lists my rear green jack as an input device?
Thank you

My problem is same but in my case I am getting very low sound even on full settings, what should I do ? if it is a mobo issue or a software issue.
Please suggest

Intel Core i5 4440
MSI H97M G43
Realtek HD Audio
Stereo speakers (with single jack)
snmnull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asus, audio/cpu issue, maximus v formula