· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #51
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Just tried a different approach: 3 separate X screens. One for each monitor.

What I wanted to do is have monitor 1 and 3 as one session, with the main one in the middle, but it would not let me orient it that way. So to be able to have the cursor move across all 3 I had to go with 3 separate, not a huge issue I guess. BANG, that stupid black theme thing came back again when I restarted. Definitely does not like the separate X sessions. Going to leave it overnight to see if I get those blocks and crap too, and if the stuck cursor thing starts happening again. I have a feeling the stuck cursor thing wont, but the blocks will, but we'll see.

Also realized I never posted a screenshot of that weird theme, this is what it looks like:

This is what it's suppose to look like:

If I pick another theme, it will basically do the same thing, but with the "look" of that theme. The title bar goes black and text goes black.

When this happens, it only does it on the main screen.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #52
Jodell88
Diamond Member

The fact that it is the window decorations exhibiting this issue means that it lies with the window manager (XFWM4).
Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #53
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodell88 View Post
The fact that it is the window decorations exhibiting this issue means that it lies with the window manager (XFWM4).
Is the black the Adwaita theme? I had issues with Compiz, and it using the GTK3 theming. I changed it to something more palatable, but it's still squirrelly. I haven't put a lot of attention in it, because I really only use to make my desktop snow in the winter, and have leaves fall in the autumn. I can deal with ugly window decorations for a short period of time.
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #54
Jodell88
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Is the black the Adwaita theme? I had issues with Compiz, and it using the GTK3 theming. I changed it to something more palatable, but it's still squirrelly. I haven't put a lot of attention in it, because I really only use to make my desktop snow in the winter, and have leaves fall in the autumn. I can deal with ugly window decorations for a short period of time.
The theme he's using is greybird, the default theme for Xubuntu.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #55
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
The theme he's using is greybird, the default theme for Xubuntu.
The black isn't greybird. It doesn't have the ginormous window controls of Adwaita, but I don't know why it would be black.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #56
Jodell88
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
The black isn't greybird. It doesn't have the ginormous window controls of Adwaita, but I don't know why it would be black.
It's greybird but it's bugged somewhere. I'm thinking it's the window manager.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #57
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
It's greybird but it's bugged somewhere. I'm thinking it's the window manager.
Maybe he could try running Compiz instead, and see if that works better.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #58
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Using "default" (one selected in screenshot) but if I select any other theme, the same thing happens to it too. Basically the title bar of whatever theme I'm using will go all screwy, and other elements mess up too, but the title bar is the first thing I usually notice. It will also do that on only the main screen and not the other two, at least from what I noticed.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #59
Jodell88
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Using "default" (one selected in screenshot) but if I select any other theme, the same thing happens to it too. Basically the title bar of whatever theme I'm using will go all screwy, and other elements mess up too, but the title bar is the first thing I usually notice. It will also do that on only the main screen and not the other two, at least from what I noticed.
That's why I said that the problem seems to be the window manager.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #60
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Quote:
That's why I said that the problem seems to be the window manager.
How would I go about fixing that? What exactly is the window manager? Is that like "Explorer" in Windows? So like, Thonar? Is there an easy way to switch to another one?

Also, I did not get the stuck cursor or the blocks yet, though it's still early to tell, but assuming this works out with the 3 separate X sessions, is there a way to make it so I can have multiple instances of a program open? Ex: if I have Firefox open on one screen it wont let me open it on the other because it's already running on the main.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #61
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
How would I go about fixing that? What exactly is the window manager? Is that like "Explorer" in Windows? So like, Thonar? Is there an easy way to switch to another one?
It handles compositing eg drawing window decorations, handling window placement, and creating special effects.

I'm reluctant to give you advice, cause you setup is weird, and I don't really know this stuff. I just change things and see what happens. I'd try using Compiz, but you might have to change your whole setup. Your extra X sessions might break, and configuring things will be different. OTOH, it might be easier to setup.

If you want to do that, install compiz and related packages. The screenie below is what I have installed. Some are just superfluous addons, but that'll give you compiz and the control panel for tweaking settings. To use it open a terminal and type compiz --replace. your scree will flash, and you'll be using compiz. Close your terminal, and adjust your settings using the control panel. You can add and remove plugins to get different features. If it doesn't work, or you don't like it, open your terminal again, and type xfwm4 --replace.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #62
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Cool I thought Compiz did not work for XFCE for some reason, pretty sure I read that somewhere but may have missread. I actually originally wanted to use it. Installed and it's initializing now after I typed that command. Lost all the title bars which I guess is normal. How long does this usually take?

Also silly question but what's the difference between the synaptic package manager and the ubuntu software centre? I tend to use ubuntu software centre for stuff. Should I be using the synaptic one instead?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #63
Jodell88
Diamond Member

Quote:
Cool I thought Compiz did not work for XFCE for some reason, pretty sure I read that somewhere but may have missread. I actually originally wanted to use it. Installed and it's initializing now after I typed that command. Lost all the title bars which I guess is normal. How long does this usually take?

Also silly question but what's the difference between the synaptic package manager and the ubuntu software centre? I tend to use ubuntu software centre for stuff. Should I be using the synaptic one instead?
The software center is for n00bs.

You might want to open the compiz control center (ccsm?) and enable title bars and the like.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #64
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Oh so I should not bother with software centre? I actually forgot about Synaptic till it was mentioned since software center is what is in the main top bar by default. I can always change that.

The compiz process is not done, so I think the reason I have no title bars is because of that. Just wondering if it's normal for it to take this long.

Code:
ryan@falcon:~$ su -
Password: 
root@falcon:~# compiz
compiz            compiz-decorator  
root@falcon:~# compiz --replace
Backend     : ini
Integration : true
Profile     : default
Adding plugins
Initializing core options...done
Been sitting here for a while. If it's normal I'll wait, but I'm starting to wonder if it's not, now.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #65
Jodell88
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oh so I should not bother with software centre? I actually forgot about Synaptic till it was mentioned since software center is what is in the main top bar by default. I can always change that.

The compiz process is not done, so I think the reason I have no title bars is because of that. Just wondering if it's normal for it to take this long.

Code:
ryan@falcon:~$ su -
Password: 
root@falcon:~# compiz
compiz            compiz-decorator  
root@falcon:~# compiz --replace
Adding plugins
Been sitting here for a while. If it's normal I'll wait, but I'm starting to wonder if it's not, now.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._configuration
Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #66
Red Squirrel
Lifer

After playing around with this for a while I lost my keyboard several times and had to hit the power button. Ended up being able to run it under my own user and it sorta works except it seizes a console window for it to work. Is there a way to just make this my default window manager across the board? it's also only doing it to the one X session. Would be nice if I can have 3 monitors working normally like it would in Windows but that's a whole other battle.

Also get a bunch of errors, if it means anything.

Code:
ryan@falcon:~$ compiz --replace
Adding plugins
Initializing composite options...done
Initializing opengl options...done
Initializing decor options...done
Initializing move options...done
Initializing snap options...done
Initializing resize options...done
Initializing scale options...done
Initializing put options...done
Initializing place options...done
Couldn't find a perfect decorator match; trying all decorators
Starting gtk-window-decorator
Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Adwaita": Failed to find a valid file for theme Adwaita

compiz (decor) - Warn: No default decoration found, placement will not be correct
compiz (decor) - Warn: No default decoration found, placement will not be correct
Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #67
Jodell88
Diamond Member

Quote:
After playing around with this for a while I lost my keyboard several times and had to hit the power button. Ended up being able to run it under my own user and it sorta works except it seizes a console window for it to work. Is there a way to just make this my default window manager across the board? it's also only doing it to the one X session. Would be nice if I can have 3 monitors working normally like it would in Windows but that's a whole other battle.

Also get a bunch of errors, if it means anything.

Code:
ryan@falcon:~$ compiz --replace
Adding plugins
Initializing composite options...done
Initializing opengl options...done
Initializing decor options...done
Initializing move options...done
Initializing snap options...done
Initializing resize options...done
Initializing scale options...done
Initializing put options...done
Initializing place options...done
Couldn't find a perfect decorator match; trying all decorators
Starting gtk-window-decorator
Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Adwaita": Failed to find a valid file for theme Adwaita

look in the link i posted
Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #68
Red Squirrel
Lifer

None of the files it talks about exist on my system. Ex: ~/.config, /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml, etc..... Do I just create them? How do I know anything is even looking for them? Or since I'm not using ArchLinux, maybe they're located elsewhere?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #69
lxskllr
Lifer

What happens if you just close the console?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #70
Jodell88
Diamond Member

There should be a ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml since this is default behaviour.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #71
Red Squirrel
Lifer

edit: NM, I think I see it, it was not auto completing for some reason so I thought it did not exist but if I type it fully or do dir it's there.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 02-27-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Red Squirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #72
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Getting somewhere, I think.

I got the settings to stick, had to reboot a few times but it looks like I'm now using Compiz.

Only thing, the title bars are only showing up on the primary monitor. Is there a setting somewhere for this, maybe I have to do something for each X session?

Couple other things but I'll play around with it, have to go for now. Also, does this get rid of xfwm4? That's one of the apps that constantly crashes, did not realize that had to do with the window manager, maybe if this app wont be used anymore, I wont get as many random crash alerts anymore. Kill two birds with one stone, perhaps. Maybe that's why the windows were acting up.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #73
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Well this morning I go to use the computer. Screens are off and wont respond. Had to hit reset. Come back, sure enough, now it's Compiz that crashed! Before it used to be xfwm4 that crashed all the time.

I'm going to try my original idea of using synergy and another tower to control the two other monitors, and keep 1 monitor on the primary machine. If that does not work think I'll just go back to windows 7. It had it's issues too, mostly the screens randomly shutting off for 10-20 seconds followed by a driver crash, but other than that it was fairly stable. I just hate how windows handles multi monitor in the sense that it opens stuff wherever it wants, instead of on the same screen as the cursor, but at least it works.

Seems it works fine with just 1 screen but as soon as I add more that's where things get flaky.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 02-28-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Red Squirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #74
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Played with Synergy a bit with my old XP machine and it was surprisingly easy to setup. Though I still need to look at getting it to work with the machine having 2 monitors and the main being in the middle but from what I read online it seems to be doable.

If this works I'll try to find/build a small form factor PC and shove it under my desk, and I might be good to go. At least to some extent, I was still having issues with 2 monitors so hopefully I don't get those on the secondary PC...
Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #75
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Well the cursor thing happened again, with just one configured monitor. So far it seems to always happen when I click a link in an email. But it's happened in other situations too.

This time was a bit different, the new window it opened only half drawn. Usually it would still open and the GUI was still working, it's just that with no keyboard and a cursor that can't click, I could not do anything but hit the power button, which does a proper shut down.