· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #26
maddogchen
Diamond Member

it was definitely covered in my junior high classes using the educational tool: Roots (the TV miniseries).

Kunta Kinte is captured by Africans helping white slave traders
maddogchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #27
Orignal Earl
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstar7 View Post
What prompted this in your brain?
Obama Rated at 3-Year High in Poll, Republicans at Bottom

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...at-bottom.html
Orignal Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
Phrost Phantom

Okay, everyone should look at this demographically. If you do your research, you will see that less than 2% of all slaves ever entered America. Almost 40% went to Portugal.

Now, everyone claiming that "rich white people" deserve all the blame, take a look at the kinds of people who owned slaves. You'll see, they aren't the wealthiest people in the country, and slave traders didn't get much money from selling slaves.

Beyond the fact that whites were blamed for slavery, more so America in particular was. I will say, white people as a whole did use the African's for labor, but it was global. You never hear anyone talk about Portugal or England, though they, too, owned slaves.

If you are going to make the argument that "If whites did want slaves this would never happen" you are wrong. Africa was already enslaving it's own people, we trading them for slaves or not wouldn't have changed this. And, more so, it's not like white people just went to Africa and went in land taking every African they see. In fact, they never even left the coast to go in land; and when England did it was to explore not capture slaves.
Phrost Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #29
brianmanahan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy View Post
but that was a thousand years ago ..
a thousand years versus 150 years...

in both time references, everyone is dead

so they are pretty much equivalent in this sense
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
peonyu
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrost Phantom View Post
Okay, everyone should look at this demographically. If you do your research, you will see that less than 2% of all slaves ever entered America. Almost 40% went to Portugal.

Now, everyone claiming that "rich white people" deserve all the blame, take a look at the kinds of people who owned slaves. You'll see, they aren't the wealthiest people in the country, and slave traders didn't get much money from selling slaves.

Beyond the fact that whites were blamed for slavery, more so America in particular was. I will say, white people as a whole did use the African's for labor, but it was global. You never hear anyone talk about Portugal or England, though they, too, owned slaves.

If you are going to make the argument that "If whites did want slaves this would never happen" you are wrong. Africa was already enslaving it's own people, we trading them for slaves or not wouldn't have changed this. And, more so, it's not like white people just went to Africa and went in land taking every African they see. In fact, they never even left the coast to go in land; and when England did it was to explore not capture slaves.

Few slaves went to Europe since they already had a large population, and Portugal did own the most slaves but they went to Brazil [which has the largest black population outside of Africa].

The only group that has gotten off the hook with slavery are the Arabs, they were enslaving black people since Islam first came onto the scene yet most people know nothing about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Saharan_trade
peonyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #31
Brigandier
Diamond Member

The thing I don't agree with is putting the blame on all whites. My family didn't come to this country until the twentieth century, and definitely were not part of any slave owning class.

Why should I feel any guilt for what a bunch of other crackers did hundreds of years ago?
Brigandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #32
hal2kilo
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Racism is dead in America.....
Yea, the sound of it's death nell was deafening.

Go Seahawks!

Love my new Grande Cherokee Eco-Diesel
hal2kilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
HeXen
Diamond Member

Every race has been a slave somewhere at some point in time. I find the issue irrelevant honestly and only an issue cause public schools only seem to teach about black slavery in america and nothing else leading to a narrow point of view in young teens and blacks like to keep it narrow for some reason
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #34
SheHateMe
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
Every race has been a slave somewhere at some point in time. I find the issue irrelevant honestly and only an issue cause public schools only seem to teach about black slavery in america and nothing else leading to a narrow point of view in young teens and blacks like to keep it narrow for some reason
Whites were slaves in America?

In school I learned that whites oppressed asians, blacks, indians, and some of their own people like the Irish.

Never have a I heard that whites were slaves because it never happened. They were indentured servants at one point.
SheHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #35
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post

In school I learned that whites oppressed asians, blacks, indians, and some of their own people like the Irish.

Never have a I heard that whites were slaves because it never happened. They were indentured servants at one point.
That was a small number of white people, many millions in this country never even participated in it. You were taught white people did that, but what whites? Isn't it a little unfair to lump all "whites" as the perpetrators?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #36
SheHateMe
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigandier View Post
That was a small number of white people, many millions in this country never even participated in it. You were taught white people did that, but what whites? Isn't it a little unfair to lump all "whites" as the perpetrators?
Sure not all whites actively oppressed non-whites..but they sure as hell didn't mind repeating the benefits of it.

So, yea...a lot of whites back then were probably passively oppressive or racist...they're just as culpable.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #37
shortylickens
No Lifer

AD 1600.
Sorry, pet peeve of mine. AD comes at beginning, BC comes at end. Both are capitalized.
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #38
HeXen
Diamond Member

Quote:

estimated over 4 million white slaves in Africa historically. ironic. You have strange reading skills as i never mentioned whites in America, i said every race has been a slave somewhere at some point in time...take a minute on that if you need to.
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #39
SheHateMe
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
estimated over 4 million white slaves in Africa historically. ironic. You have strange reading skills as i never mentioned whites in America, i said every race has been a slave somewhere at some point in time...take a minute on that if you need to.
and I don't recall you posting any information on these "4 million" white slaves in Africa, either.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #40
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Quote:
Sure not all whites actively oppressed non-whites..but they sure as hell didn't mind repeating the benefits of it.

So, yea...a lot of whites back then were probably passively oppressive or racist...they're just as culpable.
What about the immigrants that came in the 20th century? Yes, they did reap the benefits of American slavery, but you could argue that all those Americans did, including the slaves' descendants. Do all whites still bear the responsibility for the actions of a several fat cats years before they showed up to the country?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #41
SheHateMe
Diamond Member

Quote:
What about the immigrants that came in the 20th century? Yes, they did reap the benefits of American slavery, but you could argue that all those Americans did, including the slaves' descendants. Do all whites still bear the responsibility for the actions of a several fat cats years before they showed up to the country?
What about them? If they were white and immigrated to this country after slavery, they still benefited from the privilege of being white. They did not suffer the same social injustices as freed slaves and their descendants. They directly benefited from the actions of the fat cats who ran that system of oppression.

Obviously they are not responsible for what had taken place before them...but if you immigrated into a society where you saw one group being mistreated economically and socially and you just accept that...you're just as bad as they are.

The abolition of American slavery did not end the social mistreatment of freed slaves and their descendants. After slavery came civil rights issues.

We are only a few decades out from the Civil Rights movement in this country. I don't hold whites personally responsible. Most of the whites from that era are either dead, dying, or growing old.

But, I am sure my Grandparents will tell you the exact opposite. They were born and raised in Alabama. They had a totally different experience that I had growing up amongst whites.

Last edited by SheHateMe; 02-24-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #42
iGas
Diamond Member

You can't squeeze blood out of stone.

Africa do not have money or political clout to influent the modern world, hence it reflects their voice and responsibilities on the world stage. And, today we still have slavery in every corner of the planet.

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/...153782814.html

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-pen...-prisons/25376
iGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #43
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Quote:
What about them? If they were white and immigrated to this country after slavery, they still benefited from the privilege of being white. They did not suffer the same social injustices as freed slaves and their descendants. They directly benefited from the actions of the fat cats who ran that system of oppression.

Obviously they are not responsible for what had taken place before them...but if you immigrated into a society where you saw one group being mistreated economically and socially and you just accept that...you're just as bad as they are.

The abolition of American slavery did not end the social mistreatment of freed slaves and their descendants. After slavery came civil rights issues.

We are only a few decades out from the Civil Rights movement in this country. I don't hold whites personally responsible. Most of the whites from that era are either dead, dying, or growing old.

But, I am sure my Grandparents will tell you the exact opposite. They were born and raised in Alabama. They had a totally different experience that I had growing up amongst whites.

I get that, but my ancestors still bought clothes to make them look the whites you hate, to get a toe in the door. I think my point is that we can all hate the people that'd take slaves and look at appearances as merit.

Most crackers crumble in that same direction. It's hard for second generation lower-middle class whites to admit that anything is wrong.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #44
SheHateMe
Diamond Member

Quote:
I get that, but my ancestors still bought clothes to make them look the whites you hate, to get a toe in the door. I think my point is that we can all hate the people that'd take slaves and look at appearances as merit.

Most crackers crumble in that same direction. It's hard for second generation lower-middle class whites to admit that anything is wrong.
I don't hate anybody. I am not sure where you are pulling that from.

But, sure, I agree you.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #45
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't hate anybody. I am not sure where you are pulling that from.

But, sure, I agree you.
My bad, you never said such a thing. I guess my hate bled over. You do seem to at least disdain them, at the very least.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #46
SheHateMe
Diamond Member

Quote:
My bad, you never said such a thing. I guess my hate bled over. You do seem to at least disdain them, at the very least.
Also not true.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #47
waggy
No Lifer

Quote:

bwhahaha nothing like rewriting history to fit your personal goals. Whites have been slaves throughout history. Even during the period of the US whites have been slaves and not just the "indentured servants" (which no matter what you want to call them they were slaves).
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #48
bradley
Diamond Member

At one point, we have all come from some type of slave ancestry. All one need do is type "white slaves history" into Google to find a history clearly beyond just black African slaves. Welcome to the information age.
bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #49
SheHateMe
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy View Post
bwhahaha nothing like rewriting history to fit your personal goals. Whites have been slaves throughout history. Even during the period of the US whites have been slaves and not just the "indentured servants" (which no matter what you want to call them they were slaves).

indentured servant:

a person who came to America and was placed under contract to work for another over a period of time, usually seven years, especially during the 17th to 19th centuries.

vs

slave  

a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.

That's different.

Indentured servants were allowed to make a choice whether or not they wanted to contract themselves out. This was done in exchange for covering the cost of their voyage to America sometimes. Now, unless you think african slaves were in bondage all those years to cover the expensive of shipping them from Africa...then sure, they're the same as white "slaves" in the US .

Last edited by SheHateMe; 02-24-2013 at 11:54 PM.