Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #26
Ferzerp
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 5,258
Default

The 96 accord isn't a dealer. It looks to be a private sale.
Ferzerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #27
Zivic
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
http://memphis.craigslist.org/ctd/3639322936.html

Too good to be true? I would ask if it's a clean title or not?
typical scammer listing. easily detectable by the embedded pictures with the email.
Zivic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #28
SSSnail
Lifer
 
SSSnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Under a bridge
Posts: 15,142
Default

A Geo Prism. Pretty much the same damn car as the Corolla, but without the premium. It'll get you from point A to point B, and economical.
__________________
Super Sonic Snail - (Beta) Į\(ļ_)/Į

Alex Smith fan.

Traditional Chinese Herbs and Supplements
SSSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
mmntech
Lifer
 
mmntech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,661
Default

Look for some 90s era car driven by a little old lady. Probably pick one up for a steal. You can find something like a Civic around that price with reasonable mileage, you're laughing.
__________________
Callout portion of post removed, which left only "I'll be showing my girlfriend my massive penis..." Since that is obviously some kind of typo I deleted it as well. - allisolm

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #30
power_hour
Senior Member
 
power_hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: nowhere important
Posts: 789
Default

Used police car / taxicab. You want something that can take abuse and keep going. Ford Crown Victoria. Simple and tough.

Other notable options are the usual throwaway cars:
1. Olds Ciera
2. Pontiac Grand Prix
3. Chevy Cavalier
4. Mazda Protege
5. Nissan Sentra
6. Chevy Malibu

These are the cars nobody usually wants.

Look for something with a gazillion miles and recent service i.e. timing belt change.
End of month scour the ads as some people trading their car will put up ads trying to get more than the dealer will offer. Those people are in a rush to dump. That is your best opportunity.

Good luck.
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #31
Durvelle27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_hour View Post
Used police car / taxicab. You want something that can take abuse and keep going. Ford Crown Victoria. Simple and tough.

Other notable options are the usual throwaway cars:
1. Olds Ciera
2. Pontiac Grand Prix
3. Chevy Cavalier
4. Mazda Protege
5. Nissan Sentra
6. Chevy Malibu

These are the cars nobody usually wants.

Look for something with a gazillion miles and recent service i.e. timing belt change.
End of month scour the ads as some people trading their car will put up ads trying to get more than the dealer will offer. Those people are in a rush to dump. That is your best opportunity.

Good luck.
2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 were some i was looking into
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #32
RossMAN
Grand Nagus
 
RossMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 74,885
Default

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/ctd/3564804692.html
__________________
Hilarious
RossMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #33
Rifter
Diamond Member
 
Rifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,501
Default

Dont let the guys get you down you can get a solid car for $1500 you just need to know alot about cars to weed out the crap or take someone with you who does.

I recently purchased a car for $1800 and ive been driving it for three months and its rock solid zero issues so far other than some tired engine mounts that will need to be replaced in the next 6 months, and i havent been nice to it the first month i beat the living piss outta it to get to know it and see if anything was on its way out and would need to be worked on soon, other than the engine mounts(which i can do myself in less than 2 hours) its in A1 mechanical shape.

Just look for cars that have had recent work done if they are getting higher up in mileage if you can find one with a eninge/trans rebuilt in the last 5 years you should get a good service life from it.

The car i purchased was a 1994 Acura Integra GSR, recently had complete engine rebuild and new clutch installed, trans rebuilt 7 years ago at 300,000kms, shows 378,xxxkms on the odo now but still drives like its brand new, whoever owned it before the mechanic i bought it from took very good care of it. Has only been in one accident in its lifetime and was a $2200 rear ender when it was a year old.

However i sorted through many many people trying to rip people off selling lemons when i was searching for my car, more than a few people trying to pawn off crap for $1500-2000 when its obvious the engine is on its way out or there is so much rust there will be nothing left of the car in 3 years. And some people will do everything they can to mask the symtoms so be very careful.
__________________
i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz 1.35V -- Asus P6X58D-E -- Noctua NH-D14 -- Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600Mhz
SLI GTX 460 860Mhz -- Intel 120GB G2 SSD -- 2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12 1TB in RAID 0
Corsair 850w TX PSU -- Corsair 600T case -- WD Green 2TB -- Seagate LP 2TB

Oppan Gangnam style all up in this mother!
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #34
Mermaidman
Diamond Member
 
Mermaidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Carolina
Posts: 7,706
Cool Come on, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
http://memphis.craigslist.org/ctd/3639322936.html

Too good to be true? I would ask if it's a clean title or not?
If you have to ask . . . That listing stinks of SCAM.

Google the e-mail "mattwils5@gmail.com" and be entertained! e.g.
http://www.fightthescams.com/2012/07...-with-replies/

First of all I have to tell you that I canít use the phone due the military security reasons Iím restricted from leaving the unitís facility under any purpose and have strictly limited phone access.I hope you can understand that we will have to stick to email for now.Right now Iím in a military base of Ohio National Guard. The vehicle is here with me at the base but Iíve already made all the arrangements with DAS to pick it up from the base.The title will be sent with the car. I think the car will be in 3-5 days to your address.I will take care of shipping charges . I will send all necessary paperwork (clear title, bill of sale, userís manual, pink slip etc). Regarding the payment I want to use Google Checkout protection program. Youíll get 5 days to inspect and test drive after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. Once you inspect and decide to keep the car, will confirm your decision with Google and only then they will re-route me the money. In this way we are both protected.
Mermaidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #35
Durvelle27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
Dont let the guys get you down you can get a solid car for $1500 you just need to know alot about cars to weed out the crap or take someone with you who does.

I recently purchased a car for $1800 and ive been driving it for three months and its rock solid zero issues so far other than some tired engine mounts that will need to be replaced in the next 6 months, and i havent been nice to it the first month i beat the living piss outta it to get to know it and see if anything was on its way out and would need to be worked on soon, other than the engine mounts(which i can do myself in less than 2 hours) its in A1 mechanical shape.

Just look for cars that have had recent work done if they are getting higher up in mileage if you can find one with a eninge/trans rebuilt in the last 5 years you should get a good service life from it.

The car i purchased was a 1994 Acura Integra GSR, recently had complete engine rebuild and new clutch installed, trans rebuilt 7 years ago at 300,000kms, shows 378,xxxkms on the odo now but still drives like its brand new, whoever owned it before the mechanic i bought it from took very good care of it. Has only been in one accident in its lifetime and was a $2200 rear ender when it was a year old.

However i sorted through many many people trying to rip people off selling lemons when i was searching for my car, more than a few people trying to pawn off crap for $1500-2000 when its obvious the engine is on its way out or there is so much rust there will be nothing left of the car in 3 years. And some people will do everything they can to mask the symtoms so be very careful.
Thank you so much for this its very helpful.

Here are a few cars i was looking at and wanted my grandfather to check out:

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/3620546005.html

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/3635282126.html

http://northmiss.craigslist.org/ctd/3632026973.html

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/3639994488.html
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #36
nerp
Diamond Member
 
nerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cranston, RI
Posts: 7,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durvelle27 View Post
All but one of those still works and the one that works is a scam. You should just look in a local newspaper or find another site that isn't craigslist. You can use AOL autos and filter out dealer cars.
__________________
iMac 27" i3 3.2 Mid 2010 | AMD A4-3400 Win 7 MCE | Atom D525 1.8 WHS 6TB
nerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
halik
Lifer
 
halik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 25,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durvelle27 View Post
Well the fact that all of these have been flagged tells me you should not be shopping on craigslist...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamurAchzar View Post
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
halik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #38
debian0001
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 348
Default

I would def look into an old crown vic or grand marquis.
debian0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #39
Ryan
Lifer
 
Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 27,513
Default

Save up more. 1500 will buy you nothing but an unreliable money pit.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #40
CrackRabbit
Lifer
 
CrackRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,528
Default

http://northmiss.craigslist.org/cto/3626139534.html

That would be a good place to start.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/3641319513.html
There is another, ugly, but damn reliable.
__________________
Official member of the ATOT Night Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
Don't we have enough left handed reddit haired stepchildren around here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmSkyscraper
Tomorrowned!!11!1!1!

Last edited by CrackRabbit; 02-25-2013 at 06:11 PM.
CrackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #41
CrackRabbit
Lifer
 
CrackRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,528
Default

DP
__________________
Official member of the ATOT Night Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
Don't we have enough left handed reddit haired stepchildren around here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmSkyscraper
Tomorrowned!!11!1!1!
CrackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #42
Durvelle27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerp View Post
All but one of those still works and the one that works is a scam. You should just look in a local newspaper or find another site that isn't craigslist. You can use AOL autos and filter out dealer cars.
will pick a few newspapers from walmart
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #43
Durvelle27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackRabbit View Post
http://northmiss.craigslist.org/cto/3626139534.html

That would be a good place to start.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/3641319513.html
There is another, ugly, but damn reliable.
The Camry looks promising
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #44
RossMAN
Grand Nagus
 
RossMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 74,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durvelle27 View Post
The Camry looks promising
Assuming it's a clean title and no major mechanical problems (the ad is quite short), I would buy it now!
__________________
Hilarious
RossMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #45
RossMAN
Grand Nagus
 
RossMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 74,885
Default

2004 Chevrolet Impala Base - $1,850

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=503031030
__________________
Hilarious
RossMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #46
power_hour
Senior Member
 
power_hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: nowhere important
Posts: 789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
Assuming it's a clean title and no major mechanical problems (the ad is quite short), I would buy it now!
Yep. The paint looks like hell but those cars were legendary for reliability. But like anything else car needs a good looking at first. $1k for that is pretty decent. Which makes me wonder if it hasn't been beaten to hell. See if you can match the VINs. I would be curious if that thing has the original engine.

The Buick Century in the other ad is going to be iffy. They weren't bad cars but usually lots of little shit would break - Steering rack, water pump, stuff like that. But they ride nice and very smooth. Again needs a good checking over. Don't pay more than $1k for it. No way that thing is worth $1.5K. It being a daily driver is a very good sign. Should mean the brakes are decent and no leaks, hopefully.

These cars you gotta act fast. So go prepared. Magnet, rags, flashlights. Bring a friend if you can. Good luck.
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #47
gus6464
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,331
Default

I don't think all cheap cars at that price range are going to be bad. I just sold my wife's old 1998 Corolla with 146k miles for $1500. The exterior looked like absolute crap but the car ran perfectly fine. A decently taken care of Toyota from that time frame will run forever if taken care of.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #48
CrackRabbit
Lifer
 
CrackRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_hour View Post
Yep. The paint looks like hell but those cars were legendary for reliability. But like anything else car needs a good looking at first. $1k for that is pretty decent. Which makes me wonder if it hasn't been beaten to hell. See if you can match the VINs. I would be curious if that thing has the original engine.

The Buick Century in the other ad is going to be iffy. They weren't bad cars but usually lots of little shit would break - Steering rack, water pump, stuff like that. But they ride nice and very smooth. Again needs a good checking over. Don't pay more than $1k for it. No way that thing is worth $1.5K. It being a daily driver is a very good sign. Should mean the brakes are decent and no leaks, hopefully.

These cars you gotta act fast. So go prepared. Magnet, rags, flashlights. Bring a friend if you can. Good luck.
I've driven enough sub $1000 cars to have an eye for them.
The big thing about cars in this price rage is that almost all of them are going to have issues of some type. It is a matter of choosing which issue you want to live with.
Major components broken are usually not worth the hassle, but a burned out power window motor, ugly paint, busted A/C or oil leaks are liveable or fixed easily enough with some elbow grease and time.
__________________
Official member of the ATOT Night Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
Don't we have enough left handed reddit haired stepchildren around here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmSkyscraper
Tomorrowned!!11!1!1!
CrackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #49
Durvelle27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,102
Default

Just got a job so gonna save up a few pay checks
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #50
j&j
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 246
Default

I know you said cars.... but any mid 90's Jeep cherokee will be cheap and they are super common with great I6 motors...
j&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.