· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #26
LookBehindYou
Platinum Member

90's were the best IMO, I was 16 in 96. I think between 94 and 99 I had the most fun of my life.
LookBehindYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #27
Paratus
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy View Post
80's!
Michael Jackson was black.
Gi Joe
Voltron
Transformers
Robotech
First run Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies
Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson were still sane to the public at least.
Black Entertech battery powered water guns with detachable magazines that looked real
[IMG]http://4**************.com/-hXROc5tUmP4/ULWxkM4f4kI/AAAAAAAAO2E/_OdimPbuVSE/s1600/AK+Centerfire+Entertech.jpg[/IMG]
80's all the way
i7920 @ 3.33 on a CM Hyper 520/ Asus P6T Deluxe v2 & Asus USB3/SATA6 card /MSI Lightening 7970 GHZ Ed. / 6x2GB G-Skill @ 1333 / Samsung 830 256GB SSD, WD 300GB Velociraptor, WD 2TB Caviar Black, & WD 500GB / CM Praetorian T01 + 4x 80mm Panaflow Hi Speed fans./ HP LP2475w /

Last edited by Paratus; 02-23-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Paratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #28
shortylickens
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzo View Post
I grew up in the 80's, but the 70's seemed to be a lot more fun.
I asked my dad. He said the 70's sucked but thats why people went out of their way to have fun.
The shit since is mostly nostalgia.

http://imgur.com/gallery/eWCGT
shortylickens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #29
Ricochet
Diamond Member

The 90s was also the start of moral decline for TV land. That's when two of the most successful sitcoms were introduced: Friends and Sienfeld. That's when casual sex and non-traditional relationships were made a regular part of TV viewing and given a very light-hearted treatment. This is so much a departure from the Reagan era push for family oriented sitcoms that conveyed Judeo/Christian values: Family Ties, Growing Pains, Silver Spoon, Cosby Show, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss, Charles in Charge, etc.

I know I know, you're going to tell me that sex has always been a part of television well before that. Look to movies and Soap Operas and even to a certain extent sitcom like Three's Company. To be fair, Three's Company was all about innuendos. Actual people hooking up in the show was almost nil. Jack's friend Larry was a comedic caricature of male machismo portrayed more as a loser than a successful Don Juan. I almost think that he inspired the Leisure Suit character of the same name. Contrast that to our lovable Joey, Ross, Chandler, Jerry, Kramer, and George.

The point is that movies and Soaps do not have the same mainstream attention or viewership as sitcoms, especially for families. In fact when you think of sitcoms you think of family entertainment. Probably not so much anymore. Time has changed. You can thank both Friends and Sienfeld for that. You're thinking, wait, both those shows are so tame. Of course they are when compared to shows in the 2000s. There will come a time when kids think how tame Two and Half Men is when compared to sitcoms of their time. I was just trying to identify when the snowball started.

Am I really claiming that two sitcoms are the cause of moral decline in Western Civilization? Starting with the breakdown of traditional dating, courtship, and marriage. Nah. It was fun looking back how TV has changed. I was a latch key kid like most people. Whether TV influence what's popular or what's popular influence TV, I gather it's more a symbiotic relationship. Whether one view as a decline or progressive trend varies from person to person. Whenever you look back, you'll always think how much more innocent it was.

Don't mind me kids. Get off my lawn.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #30
black0ut

90s had great grunge and indy punk music... wasn't a huge fan of 80s music.
black0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #31
AdamK47
Lifer

I hate the 90s! Video games ruined me!
AdamK47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #32
MaxPayne63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratus View Post
Black Entertech battery powered water guns with detachable magazines that looked real
[IMG]http://4**************.com/-hXROc5tUmP4/ULWxkM4f4kI/AAAAAAAAO2E/_OdimPbuVSE/s1600/AK+Centerfire+Entertech.jpg[/IMG]
80's all the way
Oh shit it's an assault water gun
MaxPayne63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
Paratus
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPayne63 View Post
Oh shit it's an assault water gun

And we took these to school!
i7920 @ 3.33 on a CM Hyper 520/ Asus P6T Deluxe v2 & Asus USB3/SATA6 card /MSI Lightening 7970 GHZ Ed. / 6x2GB G-Skill @ 1333 / Samsung 830 256GB SSD, WD 300GB Velociraptor, WD 2TB Caviar Black, & WD 500GB / CM Praetorian T01 + 4x 80mm Panaflow Hi Speed fans./ HP LP2475w /
Paratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
ShawnD1
Lifer

Fact: early 90s had the best console games because that was just before they switched to optical drives. Fucking CD load times. You put Streets of Rage in the thing, hit power, the game comes on.
ShawnD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #35
n7
Elite Member

Heh, that video is retarded.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #36
eldorado99
Lifer

IT WAS A GOOD SHOW!

caps
eldorado99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #37
Newbian
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
The 90s was also the start of moral decline for TV land. That's when two of the most successful sitcoms were introduced: Friends and Sienfeld. That's when casual sex and non-traditional relationships were made a regular part of TV viewing and given a very light-hearted treatment.
I take it you never watched married with children in the 80's?
Newbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #38
waggy
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbian View Post
as a kid i thought Al bundy was the biggest loser around. Now as an adult i understand he actually had a great life. he had a stable job that paid for him to have a nice house. 2 kids that didn't end up pregnant and in jial. and a hot wife that always wanted sex!
waggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #39
lupi
Lifer

Quote:
Michael Jackson was black.
Gi Joe
Voltron
Transformers
Robotech
First run Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies
Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson were still sane to the public at least.
80's all the way
I remember me and a highschool friend would carry a loaded automatic watergun in our bags in case we saw each other during the day; good forbid how many years in prison someone would be doing if they did the same thing now.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/...=ascend_invite
lupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #40
Exterous
Lifer

Quote:

And we took these to school!
And got to play dangerous games like dodge ball in gym. If someone didn't get hurt at recess you weren't doing it right. Our youth sports kept score and we knew that not everyone was a special little snowflake that couldn't be labeled a winner or looser

Fuck I am getting old. GET OFF MY LAWN!

"It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifiling exception, is composed of others" - John Andrew Holmes
Exterous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #41
Ricochet
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbian View Post
I didn't watch it until the 90s. Although it was one of the longest lasting sitcom, I don't think it was as big as the others I've mentioned.

Keep in mind I also didn't mention certain sitcoms in the 90s like Full House, Step by Step, Boy Meets World, Family Matters, and even Fresh Prince of Bel Air which were more in line with the 80s family friendly sitcoms.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #42
eldorado99
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I didn't watch it until the 90s. Although it was one of the longest lasting sitcom, I don't think it was as big as the others I've mentioned.

Keep in mind I also didn't mention certain sitcoms in the 90s like Full House, Step by Step, Boy Meets World, Family Matters, and even Fresh Prince of Bel Air which were more in line with the 80s family friendly sitcoms.
eldorado99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #43
Anubis
No Lifer

i had to google what bobbys world was because i didnt remember
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #44
brianmanahan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
i had to google what bobbys world was because i didnt remember
tbh i would take talespin or aladdin over bobby's world any and every day
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #45
Newbian
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmanahan View Post
tbh i would take talespin or aladdin over bobby's world any and every day
This and many others as bobby's was horrible for what else was out there.

Although I would not had mined a dvr back then as getting up in time for some of the cartoons sucked and if you missed it then you missed it for good in the late 80's early 90's.

Although I do think we had a vcr set up later on.
Newbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #46
glenn1
Elite Member

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways...yadda, yadda, yadda*And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!*But now that I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. They've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, They live in a virtual Utopia! And I hate to say it,but the kids today, don't know how good they 've got it!

1) I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!*

2) There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

3) Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our behinds! Nowhere was safe!

4) There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

5) Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

6) We didn't have fancy stuff like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

7) There weren't any cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOSH !!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please!You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

8) And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

9) We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.. Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your butt and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

11) There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons!

12) And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!*

13) And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!*And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!*See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! the kids today have got it too easy. They're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or any time before!R
Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #47
Train
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farang View Post
Looking back the 90s were a more frustrating version of the 00s. You had all this cool stuff you could do online but it took forever and was unreliable. The cool part was there was a lot less infrastructure online so you could easily get a following/establish some sort of business online. Now there are all types of companies that do just about everything you can imagine and are big barriers to entry for the little guy
Beleive it or not I actually think the internet was at its fastest in the 90's.

I had a T1 in the dorms back when the internet was in it's infancy. Colleges had way more bandwidth to usage than they do now, and the internet was a lot less cluttered with always on devices and before "streaming" was a thing. My first coding job also had T1 connection and a mind blowing Pentium 2 with 300 MHZ (top of the line shit back then) I remember getting sub 10 ms ping times to Unreal Tournament servers that were two states over on a regular basis. That kind of latency doesn't happen today.

Web pages were very light on JavaScript, today they are like full blown apps that have to be compiled client side. Back then a lot of major sites even opted not to use JS at all for fear of not being compatible with older browsers, or for people who had JS turned off.

So you clicked on a link... and boom, the page you clicked was 100% loaded. It was nuts. Somehow the web simply isn't as responsive today. It got too cluttered, too crowded, too high resolution.

Oh and don't get me started on how awesome the original Napster was... no download service (legal or ilegal) has matched the speed and selection since. Any song you could think of, any time day or night, even old obscure stuff, boom you had it in like 10 seconds. Maybe my view was skewed because all the college campuses had direct links to eachother, and Napster was mostly used by college kids, so thats why it worked so great.

Last edited by Train; 02-23-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #48
TastesLikeChicken
Lifer

The 70s were the best. Can't remember exactly why, which is the reason they were so great.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #49
HeXen
Diamond Member

90's was kinda bland really compared to the 80's. 2000's are even blander..especially with Hollywood and their constant remakes of 80's movies, wtf? Tech is always more awesome of course, i don't miss those rotary dial telephones by any means, but at least everyone didn't walk around with their cell phone shoved into their face, i see entire families doing that while eating out for dinner.
So it's all a mix of goods and bads. However you can definitely see the effects today's technology has on everyday peoples attitudes, ideologies and even how they lazily raise their bratty kids compared to the 80's.

50's and 60's looked like it was a good time too

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyCasanova View Post

I'm sure I'm just looking back at it through ruby glasses, but it was a pretty good decade to grow up!
Any decade that you're a kid in, is going to always seem like a good decade cause being a kid is fun, things amaze you more and capture your imagination.

Last edited by HeXen; 02-23-2013 at 11:14 PM.
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #50
Ricochet
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train View Post
So you clicked on a link... and boom, the page you clicked was 100% loaded. It was nuts. Somehow the web simply isn't as responsive today. It got too cluttered, too crowded, too high resolution.
We have this thing call ads. I absolutely hated when webpages wouldn't load because it's scripted in such a way that if the ads don't load first the page wouldn't come up.