Default Just bought another BMW

But I think I got scammed on this deal.

It's only got 2 wheels

Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Crono
Lifer

Nice looking bike.
(Thus exhausts motorcycle knowledge)

I bet it looks like a very angry zebra at high speeds.

Crono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Nice bike! Congrats!

Is that the R1200R or the R1150R? A friend of mine had the R1150R and he let me ride it a couple times. Very nice bike but a little too heavy for my tastes.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
satyajitmenon
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
Nice bike! Congrats!

Is that the R1200R or the R1150R? A friend of mine had the R1150R and he let me ride it a couple times. Very nice bike but a little too heavy for my tastes.
It's an '04 R1150R ABS. With 10k miles on it, and a pretty comprehensive service history.

Wish it came with a windshield, but that's an easy add-on.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyajitmenon View Post
It's an '04 R1150R ABS. With 10k miles on it, and a pretty comprehensive service history.

Wish it came with a windshield, but that's an easy add-on.
I think my friend's was an '03. He bought it used for $7500 with very low mileage, rode it for about a year and a half and sold it for $7000. Great bike. When he got rid of the BMW in 2007 he bought a Ducati which he still has.

This is what he replaced his R1150R with. This bike is what inspired me to get a Ducati although I owned an SV650 between the time he bought this and when I bought my Ducati.

Is that the correct headlight for that bike?

Looks pretty clean.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa

Last edited by JulesMaximus; 02-23-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
satyajitmenon
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post

Is that the correct headlight for that bike?
Yeah. It's an R1150R Rockster

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...150r_rockster/
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
T2urtle
Diamond Member

is that a front shock I spy in the white?

i dont know crap about BMW's
T2urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
phucheneh
Diamond Member

What the fudge? You got conned, that's obviously a Porsche and/or Subaru motorcycle.

Also...yeah...what the eff is up with that front suspension? The center coilover controls the movement of the lower legs there? The forks don't look big enough to have any real hardware of their own inside...that's a wonky setup.

Last edited by phucheneh; 02-23-2013 at 10:48 PM.
phucheneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
Fenixgoon
Lifer

nice score!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
waggy
No Lifer

I have always liked the BMW bikes.

its a good looking bike.
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
satyajitmenon
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucheneh View Post
What the fudge? You got conned, that's obviously a Porsche and/or Subaru motorcycle.

Also...yeah...what the eff is up with that front suspension? The center coilover controls the movement of the lower legs there? The forks don't look big enough to have any real hardware of their own inside...that's a wonky setup.
It's derived from the Saxon-Motodd design. BMW calls it the Telelever.

http://motoress.com/readarticle.asp?articleid=451
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Very nice! Totally different bike but I loved my k1200r, as goofy as it was. All of the BMW bikes just ooze character.

Take care of the rear end, change the oil in it an lube the splines if you haven't already. And ignore the horror stories

I still keep my eyes open for a r90, but after >10 years of searching I've about given up.

SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:

Almost all "classicish" bmw bikes are flat twins..

The front (and rear, for that matter) BMW suspension eliminates front end dive. Some of the first designs made it feel like the front lifts a bit when braking hard. I really didn't care for the feel, but it helped braking performance significantly.

SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
manimal
Lifer

great bike sat! Whats the first long trip planned>?
M4a79 DLX 805 X4 L3 6MB 3.25 NB 2450 Xfire 4850
58 PZ85U 50G10 52a650 PLV1080HD PJ all calibrated
120 Inch Screen -speakercraft Mzc66 8 zone audio
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
Throckmorton
Lifer

Telelever looks exactly the same as a MacPherson strut, just turned sideways.

I don't understand the advantage. From the diagrams it looks like it as the strut compresses, the wheel also gets pulled back. In order to make the wheel push forward (and gain rake) as it compresses, you'd have to angle the leading arm downward. Of course the "anti dive" effect also means that when the tire hits a bump it gets forced forward into the bump which is bad...

Last edited by Throckmorton; 02-24-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
Throckmorton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post

The front (and rear, for that matter) BMW suspension eliminates front end dive. Some of the first designs made it feel like the front lifts a bit when braking hard. I really didn't care for the feel, but it helped braking performance significantly.

That's different from the diagrams I'm finding of Telelever. What you posted is what I THOUGHT BMW bikes had

Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
satyajitmenon
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
That's different from the diagrams I'm finding of Telelever. What you posted is what I THOUGHT BMW bikes had

What SpatiallyAware has posted is actually the DuoLever suspension (modelled after the Hossack design), not the Telelever.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
satyajitmenon
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
great bike sat! Whats the first long trip planned>?
Was planning to head up to Spartanburg later this year to participate in the Dual Sport course.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
SSSnail
Lifer

Enjoy your piece of crap unreliable heap, douche!

My mom had a BMW bike and it sucked, I had to vacuum the headlights and bits of light from the headlights just came right off!

Alex Smith fan.

Traditional Chinese Herbs and Supplements
SSSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
satyajitmenon
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSnail View Post
Enjoy your piece of crap unreliable heap, douche!

My mom had a BMW bike and it sucked, I had to vacuum the headlights and bits of light from the headlights just came right off!
Lol. For a moment I was like

And then I was like

Old 02-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #21
phucheneh
Diamond Member

I was gonna say, that suspension doesn't match the description...the photo with the fat fork, that is. That looks essentially the same as 'double wishbone' on a car. Or SLA...just no need for a long arm since you want the rake (translate that to a car and that's a hell of a lot of negative camber ).

The BMW thing is indeed basically mimicking the change that makes a Macpherson strut suspension what it is...telescoping replaces a pivoting upper arm...I can't picture how that helps braking, though. I mean, I'm not saying it doesn't; I just can't quite grasp the physics of that design in my head. There's gott be something to that lack of upper pivot that doesn't allow forward weight transfer to compress the spring...I guess...?

I'm not a bike guy, obviously. I honestly never knew anybody even used a flat twin, especially in that orientation, on a bike. Do those cylinders make a good crashbar? Heh. I was looking at it wondering if snapping a cylinder off is not unheard of...
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
I was gonna say, that suspension doesn't match the description...the photo with the fat fork, that is. That looks essentially the same as 'double wishbone' on a car. Or SLA...just no need for a long arm since you want the rake (translate that to a car and that's a hell of a lot of negative camber ).

The BMW thing is indeed basically mimicking the change that makes a Macpherson strut suspension what it is...telescoping replaces a pivoting upper arm...I can't picture how that helps braking, though. I mean, I'm not saying it doesn't; I just can't quite grasp the physics of that design in my head. There's gott be something to that lack of upper pivot that doesn't allow forward weight transfer to compress the spring...I guess...?

I'm not a bike guy, obviously. I honestly never knew anybody even used a flat twin, especially in that orientation, on a bike. Do those cylinders make a good crashbar? Heh. I was looking at it wondering if snapping a cylinder off is not unheard of...
Think low center of gravity, rotational weight and cooling. It is actually a really good design. Those cylinder heads stick out there for additional cooling. Never heard of snapping one off though, just rash on the cases.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #23
phucheneh
Diamond Member

Oh, I could immediately recognize the design benfits. I mean, it's basically the same advantages as a boxer in a car, except they're probably multiplied a couple times over since the engine seems to constitute a lot more of the total weight in a bike.

Maybe I'm wrong there; I don't feel like trying to look up weights (though I can probably guess pretty close for the car side...~400lb engine for maybe a 2800-3000lb car?).

That bike engine is just an unusual thing to notice if you can only ever recall seeing inline 4 (or 3) and V-twin engines.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
crackerjacks

congrats, my '04 has 67000 miles and it's the best bike I've owned in 10 years of riding.

They're easy bikes to work on, spend the time to learn how to do your own maintenance if you have any mechanical inclination.
crackerjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Oh, I could immediately recognize the design benfits. I mean, it's basically the same advantages as a boxer in a car, except they're probably multiplied a couple times over since the engine seems to constitute a lot more of the total weight in a bike.

Maybe I'm wrong there; I don't feel like trying to look up weights (though I can probably guess pretty close for the car side...~400lb engine for maybe a 2800-3000lb car?).

That bike engine is just an unusual thing to notice if you can only ever recall seeing inline 4 (or 3) and V-twin engines.
The entire bike is probably around 520lbs wet. It isn't a light bike and that has always been the biggest complaint about those bikes really. Other than that they are great bikes.

My bike and the Ducati I posted above are closer to 420-430lbs wet and make about the same power as the BMW, maybe a little more actually. The lower weight really makes a difference on a twisty mountain road.

Tags
beemer, cheesepie, death_trap, iride