· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Default lol so decided to give Unity a second try

Been trying out different distros as I plan to do a clean install and figured I may as well look at what my other options are. Started with Fedora Core 18 with Gnome. (default) Did not realize they went the Unity route too but thought I'd give it a chance. It REALLY is TERRIBLE. OMG lol, it's just so unusable. It's pretty much like Windows 8, if worse. I want to try to give it a chance, but it's just so unusable. The classic concept of a desktop with icons and a start menu simply works. I don't know why everybody tries to change it.

Definitely not going to use this. Going to have to try the KDE one. I really hope OS software devs stop messing around with critical UI elements like this. Leave the desktop and start menu alone, it works!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Demo24
Diamond Member

That's not unity, gnome3 is called something else and yes it is horrible to use. Unity is what canonical has done with ubuntus default design. This I actually like and use on a regular basis at work, in fact gotten so use to it I attempted to convert fedora to use it, no luck and went back Ubuntu. At first I disliked unity, but with 12.04 and up I've enjoyed it.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Jodell88
Diamond Member

I really don't know why people dislike Gnome Shell so much. I find it a joy to use. To each their own I guess.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
black0ut

Why not try out the huge list of other DEs other than gnome and kde? Lightweight window managers like icewm, fluxbox, or full DEs like lxde or xfce. I have ALWAYS preferred those to gnome and kde.
black0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Did not realize that was actually gnome itself. Is Unity that much different then?

Gnome (at least classic) was good, but this crap is just unusable. Nothing is at my finger tips, I have to work hard to get to anything. I managed to open a web browser, but I have no clue what I did. Traditional desktop and start menu is the way to go. Everybody including Microsoft keeps trying to reinvent the GUI interface. Stop it! it works the way it is.

I'd say the only nice thing is the search, but if you don't know what you're searching for. (ex: want to open a command, or file manager, what if you have no clue what those apps are called)
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Red Squirrel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black0ut View Post
Why not try out the huge list of other DEs other than gnome and kde? Lightweight window managers like icewm, fluxbox, or full DEs like lxde or xfce. I have ALWAYS preferred those to gnome and kde.
Yeah trying different ones now. I'm actually using XFCE now, I like it, but just wanted to see what else is out there as well so that was the first thing I tried since it's the Fedora default. I'm going to be trying Linux Mint next. I got it installed in a VM but it's not the same, but it looks good in the VM so I will probably install it on another drive to play with more deeply. I forget the name of the GUI it uses but think it's based on KDE.

I know I can install a DE in any distro, but I'm dealing with enough computer problems so not going to start making changes that arn't "standard" as it's only going to add another variable.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 02-23-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
TSDible
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Yeah trying different ones now. I'm actually using XFCE now, I like it, but just wanted to see what else is out there as well so that was the first thing I tried since it's the Fedora default. I'm going to be trying Linux Mint next. I got it installed in a VM but it's not the same, but it looks good in the VM so I will probably install it on another drive to play with more deeply. I forget the name of the GUI it uses but think it's based on KDE.

I know I can install a DE in any distro, but I'm dealing with enough computer problems so not going to start making changes that arn't "standard" as it's only going to add another variable.
You can get Mint with several different DE.

The default is MATE or Cinnamon. I'm using Cinnamon myself right now... I like it. I still may go back to XFCE though.

Heat
TSDible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
KlokWyze
Diamond Member

Mint XFCE is nice! Just put on my laptop as a VM after reading this thread.
KlokWyze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
Shadowknight
Diamond Member

I'm using Mate myself. The only thing I'm missing is compiz (which they're eventually adding compatibility) and a couple of keyboard shortcuts, which I suspect may be due to Xubuntu using Thunar instead of Nautilus.
Shadowknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Stone Rain

Strange, I love Unity.
Stone Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
VinDSL
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodell88 View Post
I really don't know why people dislike Gnome Shell so much. I find it a joy to use. To each their own I guess.
Just gotta tease it, a little...

Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
Red Squirrel
Lifer

That actually looks better than what I thought was unity, which turns out it's just regular gnome 3. I actually see an Application menu and overall more stuff to get to places, which I was not seeing in the default FC18 install. I might have to try it out actually. I wrongly bashed it as I thought what I saw was Unity.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
VinDSL
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
That actually looks better than what I thought[...]

I might have to try it out actually. I wrongly bashed it as I thought what I saw was Unity.
Yeah, I'm running a dev version -- "Gnome 3 Staging", so called -- currently @ Gnome 3.7.90

Gnome 3 is getting better all the time! I used to hate it, too. Only reason I used Gnome 3 (in the past) was for tweaking my Unity config files (Unity is built on top of Gnome 3), e.g. I used Gnome 3 as a Unity development tool.

Gnome is like a blank canvas. As you said, with the default settings, it's practically unusable.

To be fair, that applies to a lot of Linux DEs -- Openbox comes to mind.

The Applications & Places menu buttons, in the top left corner, are Extensions. The Dropbox & Desktop Number Indicator, on the right corner are also Extensions. I'm also running many other Extensions that you cannot see.

Extensions are available here: https://extensions.gnome.org/

They are stupid simple to install -- just point n' click.

The "dock" on the left side (you can place it anywhere you want) is an app called "Plank" (a Docky fork). Many, many more docks are available, but I prefer Plank because it's very easy to config, and doesn't get in the way. And, of course, that's Conky on the right side (widgets).

Anyway, give it a week or two -- play around with it -- and, you might find Gnome 3 more palatable.

Gnome is in heavy development, right now.

It's one of those distros that grows on you, once you get it config'ed to YOUR liking.

Last edited by VinDSL; 02-28-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again
VinDSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
NightOps79

@VinDSL, what is your current Conky config script?
NightOps79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
ultimatebob
Lifer

Geez, Vin... doesn't all of that crap you have running on the right hand side noticeably slow down the system?

I like to keep my UI lightweight... XFCE for me!
ultimatebob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatebob View Post
Geez, Vin... doesn't all of that crap you have running on the right hand side noticeably slow down the system?

I like to keep my UI lightweight... XFCE for me!
That's Conky. It uses minimal resources to display what it does. It takes a lot to set it up, especially for something like Vin's, but it's easy on the system.

Edit:
My conky isn't as elaborate as Vin's, but I have most of the same data shown. I'm using 6mb, and 1% cpu.
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
FrankRamiro

Hi guys, i finely got to understand and i hope this time folks here understand what i was talking about on a thread that i made here about the missing Minimize buttons on the task bar, and i wrongly attributed it to Google chrome,it has to do with the Desktop environment one uses not to the Web Browsers, we always learning, one talks about things we do not understand ,but thats what happens when one doesn't reed instructions, and Google stuff, it happened to me.
Well after reeding about desktops of deferent distros i decided what is the best Distro and desktop for me. i have been using Ubuntu 12.04LTS with UNITY that come from default,but I just discover that one can get Ubuntu 12.04LTS and then switch between desktops just by logging out,then choose , GNOME,GNOME CLASSIC, GNOME CLASSIC NO EFFECTS,UBUNTU with UNITY,UBUNTU2D from the Log in menu and type password and choose Gnome CLASSIC,or just try them all one by one and then make your mind,
i think unity not letting you use the minimize button to get the pages in the Task bar is crap that future is most importance, that's why i like Gnome Classic,besides all this is at a click in Ubuntu 12.04LTS log in ,you also have the choice of in the Synaptic Packages download applications,choose XFCE and KDE,well all there in UBUNTU 12.04LTS stable
so the choice is yours,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIQXKrH46wI
FrankRamiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
MrColin
Platinum Member

I have been spoiled by Win7+ and MacOSX, I really like having the search box in the application menu. My current DE of choice is Cinnamon on mint. It seems to have all the features I like with less kludge than Gnome3.

-Xionide
MrColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #19
FrankRamiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrColin View Post
I have been spoiled by Win7+ and MacOSX, I really like having the search box in the application menu. My current DE of choice is Cinnamon on mint. It seems to have all the features I like with less kludge than Gnome3.
if you're talking about the gnome Classic i don't think it's gnome3 but gnome 2,am i right?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
Ramses
Golden Member

Mint w/Mate here too, screw all these cheesy touchy feely attempts to re-invent the desktop wheel. Including Win8. Anyone remember how active desktop was gonna change the computing world? I wish as much energy would go into stability and driver as this eye candy biz.

Course I'm the guy that thinks Warp4, Be, and NT4 were the golden age of desktop computing too.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
FrankRamiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankRamiro View Post
if you're talking about the gnome Classic i don't think it's gnome3 but gnome 2,am i right?
You right it's Gnome classic 2. and is the one i like because it has the Minimize Pages to the task bar and Unity, gnome 3 don't so i log out of Ubuntu Unity and choose Gnome Classic and i love it, now i can Chrome easy and everything is find,i blamed the Browsers for not to be able to minimize the pages to the taskbar, but is the Desktop Unity Gnome3 that do not have that old function.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
FrankRamiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankRamiro View Post
You right it's Gnome classic 2. and is the one i like because it has the Minimize Pages to the task bar and Unity, gnome 3 don't so i log out of Ubuntu Unity and choose Gnome Classic and i love it, now i can Chrome easy and everything is find,i blamed the Browsers for not to be able to minimize the pages to the taskbar, but is the Desktop Unity Gnome3 that do not have that old function.

Today also installed Xubunt-Desktop in Ubuntu 12.04lts and must say that it's running great so far,i like the buttons on the right just like win.
Now i have one more Desktop to choose from,by loging out i can swap desktop.