· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Leros
Lifer

Default Denon AVR-1612 receiver repeatedly turns off/on

I bought a refurbished Denon AVR-1612 from Accessories4Less at the suggestion of this forum and AVSForum. I've had it for about a month and it's been great.

When I turned it on last night, it would turn on and then turn off a second later (making a loud click) and then immediately turn back on. It would repeat this cycle of turning off and on until I pulled the plug. I tried again a few hours later and it worked fine. I tried tonight and it went through its on/off cycle. I haven't been able to get it to turn on again.

I've unplugged everything (no speakers, no HDMI cables, no nothing) and it still does this power cycle.

Any ideas? How much would it cost to get this repaired? I have a Denon authorized repair facility in my city. I only paid $200 for the receiver so I'm hesitant to pay much to repair it. Could I repair it myself?
Leros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
nsafreak
Diamond Member

If you've only had it for a month I would think that it'd still be covered under warranty since as far as I'm aware all of the Denon receivers on that site are Denon factory refurbished and warrantied for 1 year.

Server: i5 2500K, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, 8GB Crucial DDR3-1600, OCZ Agility 3 128GB SSD, 3x Seagate 1.5TB HDD (RAID 5 array), Seagate 1TB HDD, Corsair CX600, Antec 300
nsafreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Leros
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsafreak View Post
If you've only had it for a month I would think that it'd still be covered under warranty since as far as I'm aware all of the Denon receivers on that site are Denon factory refurbished and warrantied for 1 year.
Good to know. The warranty information they sent with the device is too blurry to read.

Hmm. Accessories4Less says 1 year and Denon's website says 90 days. Either way I'm covered.

Last edited by Leros; 02-22-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Leros
Lifer

Bummer. I contacted support 1 day too late to be covered under the 30 day exchange. Luckily there is an authorized service center in my city, but they said it will take at least two weeks to get back after I drop it off.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
boomhower
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leros View Post
Bummer. I contacted support 1 day too late to be covered under the 30 day exchange. Luckily there is an authorized service center in my city, but they said it will take at least two weeks to get back after I drop it off.
It would probably be better to get it repaired at the center, you don't have to ship it. Good luck. I've had the same refurbed receiver for six months and am liking it. Just bad luck.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
vshah
Lifer

did you try a microprocessor reset as outlined in the manual?
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Leros
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshah View Post
did you try a microprocessor reset as outlined in the manual?
Nope. Didn't know that was an option. I'm gonna feel stupid if that's the problem. I've already dropped it off at the repair place so I can't try it.

What I found online seemed to indicate that I probably had a short in my speaker wire, but disconnecting all my speakers didn't change anything.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
queequeg99

Quote:
Nope. Didn't know that was an option. I'm gonna feel stupid if that's the problem. I've already dropped it off at the repair place so I can't try it.

What I found online seemed to indicate that I probably had a short in my speaker wire, but disconnecting all my speakers didn't change anything.
A shorted wire might have damaged something that cannot be fixed by simply disconnecting the speakers. There are protections built within the receiver that are supposed to turn it off before a shorted speaker wire can harm the unit. However, sometimes those protections don't always work. This is what happened to me. I turned my unit on one day and it went into protection mode. So I immediately disconnected everything. It still went into protection mode. I sent it in and they fixed it (they had to repair the right front amp). When I got it back and hooked it up, it went into protection mode again. I turned the unit off immediately and unplugged everything again. When I turned it on (without anything plugged in), it didn't go into protection mode. So I checked all of my speaker connections again. Apparently, there was a single stray copper strand on the left front speaker that was shorting at the speaker. Once that was taken care off, everything worked fine. Apparently, the protection circuit worked the second time, but not the first.
queequeg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Leros
Lifer

Turned out to be a faulty capacitor. It's a shame because I could have easily figured that out on my own if I could have opened the case. My unit has "refurbished" stickers on the edge of the case so I can't open it without it voiding the warranty.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Leros
Lifer

Boo. After using the receiver for a few hours, it's now starting to get some random static. It sounds like the white snow you get when no antenna is hooked up to a TV.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
Aikouka
Lifer

If it makes you feel any better, my Denon 2112 randomly shut off and turned back on tonight, and mine wasn't a refurb. After owning a 1610 and a 1910, the 2112 almost made me swear to never buy another Denon again with how annoying it has been with some of the fancy, new features not working well. Hell, I've had a few times when the menu wouldn't even come up. Although, I think my AirPlay issues with it might be my iPhone. It likes to cut out a lot, but I played it using my iPad without any problems.

How hard is it to find a good receiver with Audyssey MultiEQ XT, good HDMI-CEC, AirPlay, upsampling, and 5.1 (or more)? The website thing on the Denon is nice, but I mostly used it when I couldn't access the menu to begin with.
Aikouka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
purbeast0
Lifer

i purchased a brand new denon 4311ci months back and it was doing some funky stuff out of the box so i googled and searched on avs. like it would freeze sometimes or get stuck in pandora.

after researching avs i was told to try the microprocessor reset. just before you do it make sure you back up your settings (if your avr lets you) so you can load them after you reset it since it puts it back to factory default.

turns out that fixed my problem and it's been months since i've done it and had no issues at all. apparently with the upgraded fw on the newer models that sometimes it can cause some funkiness, but resetting the microprocessor fixes it.

but it sounds like you had a cap issue instead.
purbeast0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
turns out that fixed my problem and it's been months since i've done it and had no issues at all. apparently with the upgraded fw on the newer models that sometimes it can cause some funkiness, but resetting the microprocessor fixes it.
Hm, it might be worthwhile for me to give that a try if it keeps acting funky. I did notice that my last update was strangely fast. It usually takes a good 20 minutes to update the firmware, but this previous one only took a minute or two. Anyway, the 2112 is part of the CI series, so I can download the configuration through the web interface, which I believe will include everything set by Audyssey, right?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
Hm, it might be worthwhile for me to give that a try if it keeps acting funky. I did notice that my last update was strangely fast. It usually takes a good 20 minutes to update the firmware, but this previous one only took a minute or two. Anyway, the 2112 is part of the CI series, so I can download the configuration through the web interface, which I believe will include everything set by Audyssey, right?
yeah that is what i did. saved it through the network, reset microprocessor, then uploaded through network.
purbeast0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
Leros
Lifer

I've had to get this repaired twice more. The repair places replaces a capacitor. It works for about 3 hours, then has the same problem again.

Any suggestions? I'm about to give up and get another receiver.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #16
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
I've had to get this repaired twice more. The repair places replaces a capacitor. It works for about 3 hours, then has the same problem again.

Any suggestions? I'm about to give up and get another receiver.
Is it possible that something else is ruining the capacitors? Are the ruined items along the same trace? I'm not terribly knowledgeable about electronics, so I really couldn't tell you too much more.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
Leros
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikouka View Post
Is it possible that something else is ruining the capacitors? Are the ruined items along the same trace? I'm not terribly knowledgeable about electronics, so I really couldn't tell you too much more.
I'm sure there is another faulty component that is killing the capacitor after a few hours of use. Unfortunately, the Denon repair place fixes the capacitor and it works for them so they call it fixed.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
Druidx
Platinum Member

I had the exact same problem with a Denon 1612 refurb unit from Accessories4Less, cycled on/off every second. The horrible Denon support makes me regret buying the brand. They sent the request for proof of purchase to the wrong email address. After that problem was solved and the requested proof of purchase was emailed to them, I never got a reply back with shipping label. When I called again, there was no record of my original call so I had to go through all the same stupid questions about did I do a reset, plug in a different outlet, unplug and plug back in. When they agreed to switch it out, I got put on hold and disconnected. I got tired of playing phone tag so tried a different tactic, used their online form to explain the issue, it took four days just to get a message that I should call in to fix the problem.
It's like trying to get tech support from a mom and pop shop.
Druidx is offline   Reply With Quote