· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
*kjm
Platinum Member

Default Drop the darn Obama phone

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business...raud-for-poor/

"Lifeline’s growth — the government spent $2.2 billion on it, up from $819 million four years ago — has raised questions about whether participants are eligible for the program."

Scam on you and me
*kjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Brainonska511
Lifer

It looks like they are taking action to fight fraud in the system. Good.
Heatware My Flickr
Brainonska511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
*kjm
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainonska511 View Post
It looks like they are taking action to fight fraud in the system. Good.
Right
Dig into it more I just posted one link.
*kjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
shortylickens
No Lifer

If phones are so important, why isnt this covered under the welfare budget?

Say what your observation is or move on... I keep saying it and I'll say it again. These posts add absolutely no value besides a +1 to your post count.
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Doppel
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *kjm View Post

"Lifeline’s growth — the government spent $2.2 billion on it, up from $819 million four years ago — has raised questions about whether participants are eligible for the program."

Scam on you and me
Poor people gaming the system. Color be surprised.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
boomerang
Lifer

The rich are paying for this stuff. What's the problem?
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
rudder
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
If phones are so important, why isnt this covered under the welfare budget?
Because the government can force the phone providers to tack on a tax on your bill to pay for the program. I quote:

Some people believe that the government is using taxpayer’s money to run this program, however this claim is false. The Universal Service Fund (USF), which is administers by Federal Communication Commission (FCC) along with a private entity known as the Universal Service Administration Company (USAC), pays for the Lifeline Assistance Program.

So the government is not using money it got from people through income taxes... it is using money it got from people through taxes paid on their phone bill.

So we are all good... these people need smartphones dammit... bring them on.
rudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
Ausm
Lifer

Does this cover Obama phones?

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
PokerGuy
Diamond Member

I wan my obamaphone. I wan more free stuff!
PokerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Ausm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerGuy View Post
I wan my obamaphone. I wan more free stuff!
I somehow think the majority of the Electorate wasn't buying this bullshit, that's why the black dude is still in power.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
Oldgamer
Platinum Member

Quote:

Scam on you and me
I actually had a grandmother, long deceased now who utilized the telephone supplement programs.. she was too poor to afford a land line phone. This is also right up there with the electric companies who also provide assistance for the poor for help with electricity.

But I do see how these assistance programs probably need some revamping, and I am certain that some companies might have become complacent on monitoring any type of fraud.

There is nothing wrong with them looking into it.
Oldgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
Oldgamer
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
I somehow think the majority of the Electorate wasn't buying this bullshit, that's why the black dude is still in power.
Exactly, cell phones have now become a necessity, as so many cities begin getting rid of their public pay phones.

That program by the way was for qualified individuals who were in a welfare work program, (forgot what they called it). The people they gave these cell phones to were to use them for calling potential employers, setting up interviews, and also keeping in touch with the welfare / work offices.

The phones were inexpensive cell phones. We aren't talking smart phones here..lol

By the way, there was a time when people thought electricity was a luxury, but as times changed electricity is now a necessity. So folks aren't dying from heat or cold, and are able to prepare food in their homes.

I think cell phones will be soon regarded as a necessity just as much as electricity, and soon too computers, and having access to the internet. Times are a changing.. we are evolving. Got to go with the flow, or be left behind in the dark ages.
Oldgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
nehalem256
Lifer

Quote:

Scam on you and me
Or maybe the Republican complaining about the program acted as advertising causing more eligible participants to sign up
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
CPA
Elite Member

I don't care how much or how little this program costs, this is not what our government was set up for. The whole f'in thing is a waste of taxpayer money even if it costs a penny.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
wirednuts
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA View Post
I don't care how much or how little this program costs, this is not what our government was set up for. The whole f'in thing is a waste of taxpayer money even if it costs a penny.
proving affordable phone service to those in need is hardly worth worrying about when this government spends billions on wars that do nothing but kill people.
wirednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
Tom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA View Post
As cell phones and the internet beome the way Americans communicate with each other there's a societal and governmental interest in making communication and information universally available. That's why the Post Office is in the Constitution.

George W Bush understood this, so does Obama.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
As cell phones and the internet beome the way Americans communicate with each other there's a societal and governmental interest in making communication and information universally available. That's why the Post Office is in the Constitution.

George W Bush understood this, so does Obama.
Electricity and water aren't universally available from the government. Why should cell phones be?
irishScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
brandonb
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgamer View Post

I think cell phones will be soon regarded as a necessity just as much as electricity, and soon too computers, and having access to the internet. Times are a changing.. we are evolving. Got to go with the flow, or be left behind in the dark ages.
Then those that pay for it should have first opportunity to capitalize on it. Rural areas which pay taxes are last when it comes to cell phone towers, and internet. Yet, the poor inner city folks get it handed to them for free.

I'd pay $100 a month for a wired 1.5mbs internet. Yet I won't ever see that, yet I pay taxes for those in the inner city to get it for free. Bullshit.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
SheHateMe
Diamond Member

Wow, some of you still think this is an Obama program?

hahahahaha.

If they are so concerned if people on the program are eligible or not, why don't they take a more proactive approach to their application process?
SheHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
CitizenKain
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post

hahahahaha.

If they are so concerned if people on the program are eligible or not, why don't they take a more proactive approach to their application process?
Foxnews told them it is, so that's all the thinking the righies on here are capable of.
CitizenKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
Tom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishScott View Post
Electricity and water aren't universally available from the government. Why should cell phones be?
For the reason I just gave. The Constitution includes the Post Office because the founders understood the necessity for information and communication.

The same thing is true of phones, the internet, cell phones, water, and electricity. The government plays a role in the universal availability of all these things.

That doesn't man all these things need to be paid for or provided by the government, and they aren't.

But that wasn't the issue I was responding to.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
PokerGuy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgamer View Post
Exactly, cell phones have now become a necessity, as so many cities begin getting rid of their public pay phones.

That program by the way was for qualified individuals who were in a welfare work program, (forgot what they called it). The people they gave these cell phones to were to use them for calling potential employers, setting up interviews, and also keeping in touch with the welfare / work offices.
Riiiiiight. Of course, it was only people who really really needed these phones, that's why in Oklahoma there were more 'qualified' people receiving phones than mathematically possible.

Quote:
The phones were inexpensive cell phones. We aren't talking smart phones here..lol
Whether it was smartphones or not is not relevant. The mentality that the taxpayer needs to pick up the tab is the problem.

Quote:
By the way, there was a time when people thought electricity was a luxury, but as times changed electricity is now a necessity.
Oh yay, does that mean everyone should get free electricity as well? How about water? Maybe we should just make everything free to everyone. What a great idea!

Quote:
I can see it now, more "free" stuff and obamaputers for all. Wonderful.

Just because something is important doesn't mean society should pick up the tab for it for you. No wonder this country is going down the drain, everyone seems to think someone else needs to pay for their needs.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
PokerGuy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
Oh, it didn't start with him, but the money spent on it went from 800 mil to 2.2 billion in his tenure. Pretty much par for the course for obummer I guess, wasteful spending is all he's good at.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #24
ivwshane
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerGuy View Post
Oh, it didn't start with him, but the money spent on it went from 800 mil to 2.2 billion in his tenure. Pretty much par for the course for obummer I guess, wasteful spending is all he's good at.
Yep and I'm sure the Great Recession had nothing to do with the increase. But please continue showing us how smart you are.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
PokerGuy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
Yep and I'm sure the Great Recession had nothing to do with the increase. But please continue showing us how smart you are.
Just like your dear leader, you offer nothing but pathetic excuses. Fact: spending on free phones for those who "need" them (based on being below the poverty rate) has tripled. Unless the poverty rate has tripled during the same time frame (it has not), it's another example of massive increases in wasteful spending. It's hard to believe wasteful spending would skyrocket under this administration.... Oh wait, it's not.