Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > General Hardware

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Ares202
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Default Upgrade For 3 Year Old Rig

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my Mobo+CPU+GPU and possibly RAM in a few weeks, most of my hardware is about 3 years old.

Budget up to about ~$1200 within reason

Current Specs:
Corsair 600T case
Core I5-750 - 3.7ghz + Corsair H50 cooler
Gigabyte P55-UD3
4x2gb G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz
120gb Corsair SSD + 2x1tb Samsung 7200rpm drives
Corsair VX 550w (12v rail = 41a)
Asus 560ti @ stock
Samsung TF260 25.5 inch (1920x1200)

I am not sure if my PSU also needs upgrading, Even though Corsair is a quality brand I'm slightly worried as this is about 5 years old now, is it worth replacing?

I don't really have a brand preference.
I'm willing to wait a few months if something big is around the corner.

I'm not living in North America, so there's no point looking for the cheapest deals on newegg.

Reccomendations?
__________________
Corsair VX 550 -- i5-4670k -- 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws -- Gigabyte Z87X-D3H -- EVGA GTX 670 FTW --

Last edited by Ares202; 02-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Ares202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Sleepingforest
Platinum Member
 
Sleepingforest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,353
Default

You can keep the RAM too--it's not out of date in any way. I'd upgrade the GPU now to a $360 7970 (remember to clean your drivers).

On the CPU side, I'd wait a few months for Haswell, which will have a better upgrade path (LGA1155 is a dead end as of this year). Haswell will bring a modest (~15%) boost to IPC over this generation as well as being more power efficient.
Sleepingforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
Ares202
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingforest View Post
You can keep the RAM too--it's not out of date in any way. I'd upgrade the GPU now to a $360 7970 (remember to clean your drivers).

On the CPU side, I'd wait a few months for Haswell, which will have a better upgrade path (LGA1155 is a dead end as of this year). Haswell will bring a modest (~15%) boost to IPC over this generation as well as being more power efficient.
AMD 7970 or GTX 680?

the 7970 is a considerable amount cheaper..although Nvidia have better hardware vendors (i.e Evga+Asus vs MSI/XFX/Powercolor)
__________________
Corsair VX 550 -- i5-4670k -- 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws -- Gigabyte Z87X-D3H -- EVGA GTX 670 FTW --

Last edited by Ares202; 02-22-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Ares202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,941
Default

I agree with the suggestions above, but have a question.

What are you doing with the computer that makes you want to upgrade? Your CPU is about three years old, but the GPU is not. Yes, a 7970 Ghz Edition is close to twice as fast, and it's a good deal right now if you want the game bundle. If you are not happy with your current gaming performance, that's the card to get.

Also, while an Ivy Bridge is a nice upgrade from your CPU (I made basically the same upgrade 6 months ago), it's not a huge boost for gaming, and Haswell is getting closer (June 2nd). It might be worth waiting just to get the newest tech.

By the way, your power supply is a high quality one. I wouldn't worry about it right now, but if you did a whole new build and just wanted something slightly quieter or more efficient, both Corsair and Seasonic have some great options.
__________________
Work: 3770K@4.4 | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | HD7870 | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 290 Tri-X | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.2 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | 780 Ti | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG-08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Building a rig? See The Tech Buyer's Guru PC Assembly Guide!
Want a bargain? Browse the TBG Hot Deals Blog!

Last edited by Termie; 02-22-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Ares202
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termie View Post
I agree with the suggestions above, but have a question.

What are you doing with the computer that makes you want to upgrade?
I play BF3 on high (not ultra) i get around 20-50fps on 64 player maps, If i play a game where is get 60+fps then switch to BF3, it kinda feels weird and everything is in slow motion to some extent.

I play CIV5 on custom maps with lots of AI players, late game, each turn can take over 1 min to load which is annoying, this is entirely down to my CPU.

I occasionally play Planetside 2, this isn't smooth at all on high settings


Quote:
Originally Posted by Termie View Post
Also, while an Ivy Bridge is a nice upgrade from your CPU (I made basically the same upgrade 6 months ago), it's not a huge boost for gaming, and Haswell is getting closer (June 2nd). It might be worth waiting just to get the newest tech.
I am Considering following your advice and not upgrading, however I don't really care about an upgrade path as i wont be upgrading again for 2-3 years in which case ill need a new mobo anyway (and DDR4 RAM) by the looks of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termie View Post
By the way, your power supply is a high quality one. I wouldn't worry about it right now, but if you did a whole new build and just wanted something slightly quieter or more efficient, both Corsair and Seasonic have some great options.
Thanks, I guess if it dies I could just buy another
__________________
Corsair VX 550 -- i5-4670k -- 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws -- Gigabyte Z87X-D3H -- EVGA GTX 670 FTW --
Ares202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares202 View Post
I play BF3 on high (not ultra) i get around 20-50fps on 64 player maps, If i play a game where is get 60+fps then switch to BF3, it kinda feels weird and everything is in slow motion to some extent.

I play CIV5 on custom maps with lots of AI players, late game, each turn can take over 1 min to load which is annoying, this is entirely down to my CPU.

I occasionally play Planetside 2, this isn't smooth at all on high settings

...
Ok, for BF3 - the slowdowns you're experiencing are almost entirely due to the GPU. A 560Ti can average about 45fps at 1920x1200 High, but that means it's going to drop way below that for mins. I don't know about 20fps, but definitely low 30s from time to time. And that's pretty low for competitive multiplayer. It's only when you have a lot more GPU power that your OC'd CPU would start being the major limiting factor. With something like an HD7950, you'd be averaging close to 80fps on high and around 60fps at ultra, and your minimums would start to get clipped a bit by your CPU.

On CIV5, I don't have personal experience, but this bench tells me you won't pick up a lot from going with a new system: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/343

Your OC'd CPU is probably equivalent to the 2500k there. Even with a solid overclock of 4.2-4.4 on a 3770k (or 3570k), you'd only be looking at about 40% faster, assuming near perfect scaling (which you typically get in CPU overclocking). That may very well be worth it to you, but I just wanted to make the choice clear. Clock-for-clock, IVB is 20% faster than your chip, and has a maximum overclock on air that's about 20% higher as well, so that's where you get the 40% increase over your setup.

Here's a thread on Planetside 2: http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/1...formance-test/. I'll let you look over the benchmarks yourself, but suffice it to say, PS2 is a resource hog, and it runs much better on Nvidia (unless that has changed with drivers since the benchmarks were done).
__________________
Work: 3770K@4.4 | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | HD7870 | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 290 Tri-X | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.2 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | 780 Ti | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG-08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Building a rig? See The Tech Buyer's Guru PC Assembly Guide!
Want a bargain? Browse the TBG Hot Deals Blog!
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Ares202
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termie View Post
Ok, for BF3 - the slowdowns you're experiencing are almost entirely due to the GPU. A 560Ti can average about 45fps at 1920x1200 High, but that means it's going to drop way below that for mins. I don't know about 20fps, but definitely low 30s from time to time. And that's pretty low for competitive multiplayer. It's only when you have a lot more GPU power that your OC'd CPU would start being the major limiting factor. With something like an HD7950, you'd be averaging close to 80fps on high and around 60fps at ultra, and your minimums would start to get clipped a bit by your CPU.
Thanks, I am thinking of lightening my wallet and going for the GTX 680, At least if i go with EVGA i can use their step-up program and upgrade within 90 days if Nvidia releases anything in my price range in the next 3 months, it also seems to use about the same power as my 560ti.

The only thing is that the 7970 GHZ is cheaper and seems to offer slightly better performance, whats your opinion?

Quote:
Your OC'd CPU is probably equivalent to the 2500k there. Even with a solid overclock of 4.2-4.4 on a 3770k (or 3570k), you'd only be looking at about 40% faster, assuming near perfect scaling (which you typically get in CPU overclocking). That may very well be worth it to you, but I just wanted to make the choice clear. Clock-for-clock, IVB is 20% faster than your chip, and has a maximum overclock on air that's about 20% higher as well, so that's where you get the 40% increase over your setup.
That is poor, the i5-750 was a mid-range part in 2009, the i7-3770k is a high end part in 2013, and costs 35% more, but only offers a ~40% performance boost.

Intel really hasn't had to do much since core2duo blew everything out of the park....
__________________
Corsair VX 550 -- i5-4670k -- 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws -- Gigabyte Z87X-D3H -- EVGA GTX 670 FTW --

Last edited by Ares202; 02-22-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Ares202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares202 View Post
Thanks, I am thinking of lightening my wallet and going for the GTX 680, At least if i go with EVGA i can use their step-up program and upgrade within 90 days if Nvidia releases anything in my price range in the next 3 months, it also seems to use about the same power as my 560ti.

The only thing is that the 7970 GHZ is cheaper and seems to offer slightly better performance, whats your opinion?
I would not get the GTX680, and I do not think you'll be seeing any new nVidia cards in the next three months, unless you count the $1000 Titan. In my opinion, if you really like Nvidia (and there are reasons to like its cards, and EVGA's service), then get the GTX670. But be aware that you could pay the same amount for an HD7970 (not the GHz edition), getting a card that is just as fast (faster once overclocked), and two free games. Nvidia is currently bundling in-game credits for a few free-to-play games, so if that's more to your liking, the pendulum will swing the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares202 View Post

That is poor, the i5-750 was a mid-range part in 2009, the i7-3770k is a high end part in 2013, and costs 35% more, but only offers a ~40% performance boost.

Intel really hasn't had to do much since core2duo blew everything out of the park....
Oh, you mean the last time it was behind the AMD eight-ball?

Actually, I'd say the Nehalem series, with its serious OC headroom and excellent multithreaded performance, was also a game-changer. AMD is just now matching the i7-920 with its FX8350, but a 920 or the equivalent was and still is a great CPU, and a HUGE step up from the C2D.
__________________
Work: 3770K@4.4 | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | HD7870 | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 290 Tri-X | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.2 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | 780 Ti | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG-08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Building a rig? See The Tech Buyer's Guru PC Assembly Guide!
Want a bargain? Browse the TBG Hot Deals Blog!
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Ares202
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termie View Post
I would not get the GTX680, and I do not think you'll be seeing any new nVidia cards in the next three months, unless you count the $1000 Titan. In my opinion, if you really like Nvidia (and there are reasons to like its cards, and EVGA's service), then get the GTX670. But be aware that you could pay the same amount for an HD7970 (not the GHz edition), getting a card that is just as fast (faster once overclocked), and two free games. Nvidia is currently bundling in-game credits for a few free-to-play games, so if that's more to your liking, the pendulum will swing the other way.
Not even when you factor in its only 15-20% more expensive right now where I live than the 670? with a better stock cooler, a full sized PCB and obviously all shader pipelines unlocked?

Quote:
Oh, you mean the last time it was behind the AMD eight-ball?

Actually, I'd say the Nehalem series, with its serious OC headroom and excellent multithreaded performance, was also a game-changer. AMD is just now matching the i7-920 with its FX8350, but a 920 or the equivalent was and still is a great CPU, and a HUGE step up from the C2D.
Your probably right, although i'm guessing Nehalem was already in the pipeline when P4 was getting its ass handed to it by AMD, so my point stands
__________________
Corsair VX 550 -- i5-4670k -- 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws -- Gigabyte Z87X-D3H -- EVGA GTX 670 FTW --
Ares202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,941
Default

If a GTX680 is only 15-20% more than the cheapest GTX670, than yes, get the 680. If its' 15-20% more than a GTX670 FTW or one of the custom 670 models from MSI or Asus, then no, don't get it.

The 680 is typically about 10-12% faster than a 670, but in BF3 in particular, it's usually only 3-5% faster: http://hardocp.com/article/2013/01/2...mance_review/5

Both have similar overclocking headroom, so the delta will remain the same once overclocked.
__________________
Work: 3770K@4.4 | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | HD7870 | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 290 Tri-X | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.2 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | 780 Ti | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG-08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Building a rig? See The Tech Buyer's Guru PC Assembly Guide!
Want a bargain? Browse the TBG Hot Deals Blog!
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Ares202
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Default

I can probably find these slightly cheaper, although they are in the right ballpark, to give you an idea.

AMD has the better bundle IMO

670 - 299
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-e...1344-dp-dl-dvi

680 - 359

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-e...-2x-dl-dvi-dp-


7970 - 296

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-x...cores-hdmi-mdp

7970ghz - 323 (Does this actually have better hardware than the base model?)

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-x...oogle+shopping
__________________
Corsair VX 550 -- i5-4670k -- 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws -- Gigabyte Z87X-D3H -- EVGA GTX 670 FTW --

Last edited by Ares202; 02-22-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Ares202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Sleepingforest
Platinum Member
 
Sleepingforest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,353
Default

The 7970 is definitely the best choice among those (cheaper than a 670, ovrrclovks to perform like a 680) followed by the EVGA FTW 670. The 680 is the worst value.
Sleepingforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingforest View Post
The 7970 is definitely the best choice among those (cheaper than a 670, ovrrclovks to perform like a 680) followed by the EVGA FTW 670. The 680 is the worst value.
Absolutely.

The one caveat, however, is that the XFX cooler is not particularly well-loved. Here's a much better choice for just a few more pounds: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-g...i-hdmi-2x-mdp-

By the way, there is nothing that separates the 7970 hardware from the 7970GHz hardware. Any 7970 can hit GHz speeds. Now, there is a slight chance that some vendors are binning their chips and putting the better ones on the GHz models at this point, so while the reviews of the GHz model showed overclocking that was no better than existing 7970s, newly-manufactured 7970s may be getting the chips with less headroom. There's really no way to know that, and unless you really want to hit 1200+ MHz, it's not something to worry about.
__________________
Work: 3770K@4.4 | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | HD7870 | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 290 Tri-X | 8GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.2 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | 780 Ti | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG-08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Building a rig? See The Tech Buyer's Guru PC Assembly Guide!
Want a bargain? Browse the TBG Hot Deals Blog!
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.