· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
nextJin
Golden Member

Default Good ideas everyone should be able to agree on?

I love P&N for their deep thought and intellectual debates but I also love bridging the gap between all parties (Democrats, Republicans, and Libertarians). That said,

List ideas or solutions that should just be common sense with almost no debate. I know there are tons more and I'd like to get up to speed with some of your ideas. These could be done on the federal level or community level but state as much when you throw the idea out there.

- Bringing back High School Specialty/Trade Classes (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, construction, etc.) - State level

- Implement finance classes in High School to teach teenagers about cash management, investing, how to balance a check book, how the money supply works, etc. Make this a core class and not an elective. - State level

- Abolish no child left behind. I have friends with special needs kids and those without and everyone of them have had several hours worth of discussion with me and none of them agree with it. - Federal level

And I know some schools have some of these still, but they have been on the way out for sometime.
"The world reacts by asking: if you cannot count on international law, then you must find other ways to ensure your security. Thus a growing number of countries seek to acquire weapons of mass destruction. This is logical: if you have the bomb, no one will touch you. We are left with talk of the need to strengthen nonproliferation, when in reality this is being eroded." - Vladimir Putin
nextJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
lotus503
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextJin View Post
I love P&N for their deep thought and intellectual debates but I also love bridging the gap between all parties (Democrats, Republicans, and Libertarians). That said,

List ideas or solutions that should just be common sense with almost no debate. I know there are tons more and I'd like to get up to speed with some of your ideas. These could be done on the federal level or community level but state as much when you throw the idea out there.

- Bringing back High School Specialty/Trade Classes (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, construction, etc.) - State level

- Implement finance classes in High School to teach teenagers about cash management, investing, how to balance a check book, how the money supply works, etc. Make this a core class and not an elective. - State level

- Abolish no child left behind. I have friends with special needs kids and those without and everyone of them have had several hours worth of discussion with me and none of them agree with it. - Federal level

Punish the banking industry for fraud where its proven and not with worthless fines rather jail time for those who perpetrated it.
128gb Crucial M4, 256gb Samsung 830
Mix match of 2tb and 1.5tb hdds for just over 40tb
Windows server 2008 r2 running hyper v & FlexRaid
lotus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Ausm
Lifer

I like your first two suggestions but in all due regard to Today's political climate, I think on a Federal level the well has been poisoned by obstructionism which will most likely last until the second the black dude leaves Office.

On a State level, in regard to my State, The Political fallout brought in by our Gov. will most likely take decades to repair.

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
cwjerome
Diamond Member

No child left behind has basically been replaced by Race to The Top
cwjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

The very first thing we need to do is restrict stipends and handouts to less than minimum wage. You should not be able to have a better life paid for by the taxpayers than you would worked.

Second thing is restrict familial support. In other words, no more baby momma on welfare, baby daddy on disability, two babys both on soc security disability, with mom and dad both getting extra support due to that.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
nehalem256
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus503 View Post
Punish the banking industry for fraud where its proven and not with worthless fines rather jail time for those who perpetrated it.
I don't get why this wasn't done
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
blankslate
Diamond Member

Quote:
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalem256 View Post
I don't get why this wasn't done
Money in politics.

Dropkick Murphys - Workers Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQfGTDyjVSE
blankslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
monovillage
Diamond Member

Quote:

And I know some schools have some of these still, but they have been on the way out for sometime.
Agree.
monovillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Agent11
Diamond Member

Mandatory 2 year service upon graduation from highschool.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
monovillage
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11 View Post
Who do they get to service?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
michal1980
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausm View Post
I like your first two suggestions but in all due regard to Today's political climate, I think on a Federal level the well has been poisoned by obstructionism which will most likely last until the second the black dude leaves Office.

On a State level, in regard to my State, The Political fallout brought in by our Gov. will most likely take decades to repair.
what fallout?

budgets with surpluses now a bad thing in your fucked up head?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monovillage View Post
Who do they get to service?
Olds?
mentally he's such a klutz
his head is made of 50 butts
zinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
Smoblikat
Diamond Member

Abolish affirmative action
Smoblikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
werepossum
Lifer

Quote:

Agreed, except I think "No child left behind" was a good idea poorly executed. I'm not at all sure it can be properly executed at a federal level though.

Quote:
I'm not sure there was much fraud in a legal sense, but where someone broke specific criminal laws, certainly. The proper place for fines in my mind is when corporations (of any sort) break the spirit and substantially the letter of the law. A banking example would be where the law requires an independent appraisal and banks use appraisers who are clearly not independent, working out of the bank (or more often, mortgage company) offices and working only for the bank. Slap 'em with a big fine.

Where criminal law is clearly violated, we should remember that corporations are not people, they merely share some of the legal rights and obligations of people. Corporations don't make decisions that break laws, people within corporations make decisions that break laws, and those individuals should be punished accordingly per criminal law. If the law requires that a mortgage be reviewed by a lawyer or other professional and notarized, and that lawyer or professional did not do so, then at least one person should be looking at jail time. Either the lawyer or professional lied to the Notary Public, or the Notary Public notarized something she could not legally notarize, or someone in authority forced the Notary Public to notarize something she could not legally notarize. Either way, there's a crime involved and the individuals should be sanctioned for their decisions just as though they were not within a corporation.

I suspect a great deal of the compromises in safety and procedure that led to the BP deep water drilling rig explosion would never have been made if the individuals making those decisions knew that they personally would be held criminally responsible. If I as an individual break a legally required safety regulation and someone dies I'm going to jail; if a corporation does the same thing it pays a fine.
guys go ahead and keep on using 25% of the world's energy - Barack Hussein Obama
werepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

No child left behind is a ridiculous concept, based purely on the liberal 'everyone is equal' mindset.

Some kids are destined to be warehouse workers and welfare leeches. The earlier they are separated from the intelligent kids the better.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #16
nextJin
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11 View Post
Although I agree everyone should serve I disagree it should be mandatory. As a Senior NCO in the Army if I had to deal with the likes of Anarchist420, Incorruptible or dmcowen who didnt want to serve or be there I'd kill myself.
"The world reacts by asking: if you cannot count on international law, then you must find other ways to ensure your security. Thus a growing number of countries seek to acquire weapons of mass destruction. This is logical: if you have the bomb, no one will touch you. We are left with talk of the need to strengthen nonproliferation, when in reality this is being eroded." - Vladimir Putin
nextJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #17
monovillage
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post
Olds?
I thought Oldsmobile was closed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Oldsmobile
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #18
Ausm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal1980 View Post
what fallout?

budgets with surpluses now a bad thing in your fucked up head?
We have no surplus....

http://www.doa.state.wi.us/docview.a...d=9905&locid=3

From the Annual Fiscal Report for fiscal year 2012, exhibit A-2 on page 17.......................

Total Revenues 40,517,410,000.
Total Expenditures 41,537,806,000.

Shortfall (1,020,396,000).

After the next 2 year period Wisconsin is projected to have a structural deficit of $2.6 billion.

Read a weep you Rightist ball licker......

You know your're getting old when MILF'S look young

Last edited by Ausm; 02-22-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Ausm is offline   Reply With Quote