· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #426
cplusplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppel View Post
It's time we finally put this used game fear to bed. I predicted with many that the consoles would not have limitations on used games. Customers will hate them. Sony has said it won't block them--I chalk any strange answer by that Sony guy as a language barrier.

What developer has said they want to see the end of used games? We need to stop worrying about this.
Project Five Dollar? Online passes? Companies already have figured out how to lock people out of multiplayer unless they buy the game new, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony (and Microsoft) implemented something like that on a system-wide level. One time use code (or maybe even that RFID patent from Sony), and if you don't have it, you can do single player fine but no multiplayer. The question is will they go farther than that (i.e. locking out a portion of single player).
cplusplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #427
HexiumVII

Wow 2 netbook cores and trading a geforce 7800 to a radeon 7800? This almost sounds like Wii hardware. Looks like we'll have to wait another generation to get some real WOW graphics. But maybe with this much optimization required, we can play AAA modern games on our x86 tablets soon!
Samsung 830
1TB WD Black RAID1
2TB Hitachi
EVGA 560Ti448@925
Lian Li V2000B
Soyo 24" LCD + 22" Samsung
HexiumVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #428
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexiumVII View Post
Wow 2 netbook cores and trading a geforce 7800 to a radeon 7800? This almost sounds like Wii hardware. Looks like we'll have to wait another generation to get some real WOW graphics. But maybe with this much optimization required, we can play AAA modern games on our x86 tablets soon!
You aren't insinuating that those two cards are equal are you?
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #429
Dominato3r
Diamond Member

How much will the specs matter? I've allays been told that the ps3 had an edge in hardware over the Xbox 360, but here we are many years later and I see no difference in graphics quality.
Dominato3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #430
Pottuvoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominato3r View Post
How much will the specs matter? I've allays been told that the ps3 had an edge in hardware over the Xbox 360, but here we are many years later and I see no difference in graphics quality.
It depends a lot where the advantages are, not everything is visible to gamers.
In case of x360 and ps3 the x360 had better GPU and more usable memory, this reduced a lot of possible advantages ps3 might have had due to the Cells higher processing power.
Pottuvoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #431
ShadowOfMyself
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wtf... Not sure if srs

Even a Radeon 7850 is probably about... 10 times faster than a Geforce 7800, and this is excluding all the DX11 features etc

Im actually really surprised about the specs on the PS4, its looking killer... Though Ive never bought a console in my life and it will probably stay that way
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #432
sigurros81
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve3596 View Post
Pretend you didn't hear the social media part and you will see the PS4 will be above the Xbox in hardware capabilities; hence the PS4 gives you the best console to play kick ass video games for this gen. Whats disappointing about that? These side gimmicks are Xbox's only way to surpass the PS4 because hardware alone its looking like the PS4 will have it beat.
Yeah, my point really is that I really don't want to for the extra features I don't really care for. While pricing is still speculative, I am pretty sure it'd be cheaper if it's just a nice gaming console as oppose to a social media hub. But I know, I sound like an old gamer, I have grown out of the target demographic.
sigurros81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #433
RedRooster
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightySix Four View Post
Interesting, never thought of that possibility before. Possibly needing to be subscribed to the premium versions of PSN or XBox Live to allow you download the free license to play used games. Otherwise, if you have XBox Live Silver or regular PSN, you would have to pay like an online pass fee for each used game to be able to play it. That would really force people to buy the premium online plan, kind of a underhanded way to get people to subscribe.
RedRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #434
Nemesis13
Golden Member

Why is everyone bitching that the new xbox will more than likely require Kinect. Ps4 remote has Move built in no one is saying anything about that.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #435
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis13 View Post
Why is everyone bitching that the new xbox will more than likely require Kinect. Ps4 remote has Move built in no one is saying anything about that.
Probably because they barely talked about it during the PS4 announcement. I'm not a motion fan at all but it's the future of every new console.

I'm just glad the PS4 has a real controller and didn't go crazy with it like with the WiiU. I don't mind the little tracking pad as it's not the focus of the controller, the new Xbox one should keep the features on the controller light as well.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #436
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Quote:
Because MS has made it the center of everything they want to do. Sony said "Oh yeah, we have this camera, but let's move on and show some great looking games". At the end of the day, MS will bank on the hopes that their core group, the guys that will go out and buy the next COD and will come home and play it with a group of friends, will not care about what the other console is doing because all their friends will just move on to the next Xbox.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #437
tipoo

Quote:

I assume/hope this was a joke? Even if Jaguar is used in netbooks, which one has 8 of them at 1.6GHz? Netbooks may have dual core ones, that's 4x less cores.

And the Radeon 7800 is pretty damn good for a console, it's not the highest end but they have costs to consider, and consoles can do more with the same hardware as PCs thanks to being dedicated to gaming and developer optimization/lower level programming.

I'm actually rather enthused by what's in the PS4, at least the GPU will never be memory bandwidth bottnecked, most of us don't even have half that GDDR5 on our graphics cards. Most probably not even a quarter of that. The chip will limit it before the memory, but I'm sure they'll be able to do incredible things with it.

tipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #438
cplusplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurros81 View Post
Yeah, my point really is that I really don't want to for the extra features I don't really care for. While pricing is still speculative, I am pretty sure it'd be cheaper if it's just a nice gaming console as oppose to a social media hub. But I know, I sound like an old gamer, I have grown out of the target demographic.
I might agree with you, except that none of the social features they've talked about would require any extra silicon to implement, if I'm looking at it correctly. At best, there's maybe half a gig of RAM taken up by the video capture feature, but other than that, it's all stuff that's implemented at the software level, which wouldn't really raise the price of the system. Unless you include Remote Play, which isn't so much about social as it is about portable (and trying to breathe some life into the Vita).
cplusplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #439
nextJin
Golden Member

Quote:
Because MS is forcing the issue and Sony is not. Thier Move failed badly but it made so much more sense than the kinect. kinect will never be more than cheap play toy until they have some type of controller involvement.
"The world reacts by asking: if you cannot count on international law, then you must find other ways to ensure your security. Thus a growing number of countries seek to acquire weapons of mass destruction. This is logical: if you have the bomb, no one will touch you. We are left with talk of the need to strengthen nonproliferation, when in reality this is being eroded." - Vladimir Putin
nextJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #440
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pre-o...cision/0111344
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #441
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazaam View Post
They already said that any disk from a ps4 will play in another ps4 without issues.
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #442
blurredvision
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Gunner View Post
Because MS has made it the center of everything they want to do. Sony said "Oh yeah, we have this camera, but let's move on and show some great looking games". At the end of the day, MS will bank on the hopes that their core group, the guys that will go out and buy the next COD and will come home and play it with a group of friends, will not care about what the other console is doing because all their friends will just move on to the next Xbox.
I don't think MS has made it the "center", they've just focused on it more than some would like. The Kinect has been out for over 2 years now and I've not once feel like they are trying to shoehorn me into the Kinect, but they are trying to make it add to the experience, which I'm fine with. If I don't want to use it, I don't have to, I still have all the normal games I had before the Kinect.

I find it odd that some judge Microsoft for showing Kinect games when it's not affected the normal core games at all. It's not like Nintendo where they come out with a new Zelda title and you have to play it with a new control input.
blurredvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #443
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raduque View Post
Ugh, I hate those stupid Dualshock controllers. They worked fine when I was 14, but now at 31 the DS3 actually causes cramping and pain, while the Xbox controller fits my hand better.

I'm praying somebody will release a good third-party Xbox-style controller for the PS4, though since there's not even one for the PS3, I won't get my hopes up.
The controller is slightly larger and more offset than before with tighter resistance on the analog sticks. It isn't the same as before at all
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #444
kami
Lifer

Quote:
2/10 on the trolling attempt
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #445
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long View Post
SilentBob: The Netgear RT311 only has one WAN port (to connect your DSL or cable modem to) and one LAN port (to connect to an optional hub or switch). Again, if you get the Netgear RT311 you'll need a hub or a switch. In my case, I already had a Netgear FS108 8-port 10/100 switch and recently took advantage of this deal to get the RT311. It was relatively easy and simple to install (as compared to my Cisco ADSL routers) and everything is working great so far.
The entire focus of e3 for microsoft was kinect at one point. It made Itagaki walk out shaking his head. Don't you remember that?

If that doesn't say "we are trying to force this" then I dunno what does. How about the fact that Rare was forced to do kinect games and they had to scrap a new killer instinct game and other concepts because Microsoft wanted them to be kinect only? That is some shit...
Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #446
Nemesis13
Golden Member

Well it seems both Sony and MS are really wanting to push move controls. Sony put it on the controller and the ps4 will ship with they Eye Bar and rumors are that MS will ship the next Xbox with kinect 2.0. I honestly dont not care for either, I have a Kinect that was given to me, outside of getting drunk and playing Kinect sports with some friends its never used.I really felt that perhaps they both abandoned the damn things, I mean you see little to no software released for these things. Games that have been released for move and kinect really seemed rushed. After all that being said I blame the Wii,joking aside i wish this fad with movement and touch would die.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #447
Dranoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplusplus View Post
I might agree with you, except that none of the social features they've talked about would require any extra silicon to implement, if I'm looking at it correctly. At best, there's maybe half a gig of RAM taken up by the video capture feature, but other than that, it's all stuff that's implemented at the software level, which wouldn't really raise the price of the system.
Exactly. Its in the software, not hardware, so stripping them out wouldn't result in any potential reduced cost to the consumer.

Sony also did a good job of promoting the new features as quality-of-life features, rather than as revolutionary selling points. People have been asking for these features because they're convenient, but they don't really change how you play the games. You can completely ignore them without missing out on anything.
Dranoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #448
Skel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Gunner View Post
Do you have a Kinect? MS was hyping it because it was a new part of an aging console. Sony did the same thing Move only it wasn't as successful. I've yet to see the Kinect slow any title from coming out, and most devs ignore it. It does some things well, and others not, but it's not going to ruin all forms of gaming as we know it, regardless of the anti-MS crowds rants.

Quote:
Well it seems both Sony and MS are really wanting to push move controls. Sony put it on the controller and the ps4 will ship with they Eye Bar and rumors are that MS will ship the next Xbox with kinect 2.0. I honestly dont not care for either, I have a Kinect that was given to me, outside of getting drunk and playing Kinect sports with some friends its never used.I really felt that perhaps they both abandoned the damn things, I mean you see little to no software released for these things. Games that have been released for move and kinect really seemed rushed. After all that being said I blame the Wii,joking aside i wish this fad with movement and touch would die.
I've used my Kinect for some of those bad games, but mostly I've used it for the voice commands. It's nice to yell at the TV to open something, and Skyrim was.. "interesting" screaming Fus Ro, or Quicksave at the screen. I think you'll see more games having the ability to use it for stupid things like Skyrim. I don't think it's going to be scrapped, but it also won't destroy games.

Xbox tag: Skel Re
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #449
tipoo

Regarding the nextbox requiring Kinect 2 to function: Wait until it is announced, at least. The PS4 was also supposed to require an always on internet connection and block used games according to the rumors, turned out neither is true. It was supposed to have 4GB GDDR5, it has 8.

By now, we really should have learned to wait until it's at least announced officially to judge it by all these draconian things they supposedly will do. Who knows, it may not even kill puppies for fun.
tipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #450
crisium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raduque View Post
Ugh, I hate those stupid Dualshock controllers. They worked fine when I was 14, but now at 31 the DS3 actually causes cramping and pain, while the Xbox controller fits my hand better.

I'm praying somebody will release a good third-party Xbox-style controller for the PS4, though since there's not even one for the PS3, I won't get my hopes up.
I think that the sticks are spread out a little more on the PS4 - that should help if true.