· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #76
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
Sales disagree with you. And plastic != trash.
I should say, their use of plastic is uninspiring. Nokia and HTC have used similar materials with far better results.

As for sales, I'm really referring to this year, in which case the Galaxy S IV better not be a GS III design rehash.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #77
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
HTC did something special all right: they crippled the phone's multitasking ability. If I'd wanted that trade made for me I'd have gotten an iPhone.
but that's not what gives good battery life. When people are talking about multitasking it doesn't mean their Angry Birds is running in the background using 100% CPU.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #78
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
I don't think Samsung can peddle away plastic trash anymore. It shows in their smartphones, tablets, and laptops.
I think you're focusing on the wrong thing. Plastic doesn't matter. Marketing and specs matter. Samsung had better marketing and better spec phones in every generation compared to HTC. This HTC One phone while nice is nothing special. It's jack of all trade and master of none. All high end phones this year will have similar or better spec. All Samsung has to do to beat this phone is to release GS4 with 3,000 mah removable battery. Then it will be game over again for HTC. HTC only hope is that Samsung can't yet make 5" or less 1080p S-AMOLED screen.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #79
MrX8503
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
I don't think Samsung can peddle away plastic trash anymore. It shows in their smartphones, tablets, and laptops.
Samsung could release another plastic GS4 and it would still sell well. The majority of people don't care about plastic.

My personal preference is metal. Partly the reason why I own an iPhone and why I think the HTC One looks good.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #80
lopri
Elite Member

After looking at a few more pictures, the convex of the back isn't so bad. Nowhere near as bad as Lumia's. I think I can live with that and overall the hardware looks great.

lopri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #81
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopri View Post
After looking at a few more pictures, the convex of the back isn't so bad. Nowhere near as bad as Lumia's. I think I can live with that and overall the hardware looks great.
I always liked that iPhone 3G/S shape...

The front of this thing, OTOH... the dual grilles and two-tone of the silver just look incoherent (well, and ripped off from the Z10). Not nearly as pretty as the white One X. Hiding it all under black is probably the better bet, but I wonder if that will have the painted-aluminum issues some have had with the i5.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #82
Wingznut
Elite Member

Quote:
Have you held one of the new HTC phones? I have a DNA, and it feels so comfortable to hold. The shape makes it feel much thinner than it actually is.
Wingznut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #83
Dari
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
I think you're focusing on the wrong thing. Plastic doesn't matter. Marketing and specs matter. Samsung had better marketing and better spec phones in every generation compared to HTC. This HTC One phone while nice is nothing special. It's jack of all trade and master of none. All high end phones this year will have similar or better spec. All Samsung has to do to beat this phone is to release GS4 with 3,000 mah removable battery. Then it will be game over again for HTC. HTC only hope is that Samsung can't yet make 5" or less 1080p S-AMOLED screen.
I never saw a single HTC commercial last year. Granted, I only watched ABC World News and football games on Sunday. But, when watching tv, I saw plenty of Samsung and Apple commercials. HTC better step up their marketing game or it's game over for them...
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #84
aeroxmax4

i loved the One X!! i could try this one too...
aeroxmax4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #85
lopri
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingznut View Post
Have you held one of the new HTC phones? I have a DNA, and it feels so comfortable to hold. The shape makes it feel much thinner than it actually is.
Yeah I have. That's why I initially questioned whether the design was more technology limited or ergonomic focused. Rubbery/silicon material definitely helps with grips on those phones (and Nokia's).

Still, my personal preference is, parallel lines between front and back. (curved corners and edges are good)
Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #86
ChronoReverse
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dari View Post
I never saw a single HTC commercial last year. Granted, I only watched ABC World News and football games on Sunday. But, when watching tv, I saw plenty of Samsung and Apple commercials. HTC better step up their marketing game or it's game over for them...
This. It's a marketing game unfortunately as both Samsung and Apple have clearly demonstrated. You have to avoid terrible marketing like what Microsoft often does though.
ChronoReverse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #87
PingviN
Golden Member

Phone looks sweet as hell, but the new Sense icons are horrendous and BlinkFeed looks terrible. It's nice to see a non-plastic flagship phone that isn't an iPhone.

That said, there is really only one religion they will go after: Christianity. maybe one day they'll get over their bigotry.
On Noah (2842 B.C)
PingviN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #88
DLeRium
Lifer

Now that I think of it, wireless charging is kinda missing.... but this really depends on how Samsung will embrace the technology. I think we're at the cusp of it taking off, kinda like not having LTE in 2012 was ok, but in 2013, you have to make LTE phones (I'm looking at you Nexus 2013).

HTC might be able to get away with this one, but as more and more phones move to that area, it would be nice. I guess I'm just saying this because I'd like for my $60 spent at the Google Play store to be worth it
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #89
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeRium View Post
Now that I think of it, wireless charging is kinda missing.... but this really depends on how Samsung will embrace the technology. I think we're at the cusp of it taking off, kinda like not having LTE in 2012 was ok, but in 2013, you have to make LTE phones (I'm looking at you Nexus 2013).

HTC might be able to get away with this one, but as more and more phones move to that area, it would be nice. I guess I'm just saying this because I'd like for my $60 spent at the Google Play store to be worth it
That will be one of the exclusive features of the HTC One+, due to be released in October.

Wait, you bought that overpriced Google wireless charging unit?
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #90
Mopetar
Diamond Member

Quote:
With what money? They're at break even right now, so if they dump a lot of money into a big ad campaign they're probably going to be in the red for a quarter or two and Wall Street would flip over something like that. Never mind the tech press that would start writing gloom and doom articles to cash in on the page views it would bring.
Mopetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #91
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar View Post
That will be one of the exclusive features of the HTC One+, due to be released in October.

Wait, you bought that overpriced Google wireless charging unit?
Oh dear. More mid-cycle rehashes by HTC. I'm sure the early adopters can't wait!

Yeah... I'm probably stupid, but I think the orb is pretty good looking. I probably sound more like a typical Apple consumer for buying something so overpriced, but even the other Qi mats have gone up in price. At the same time I'm hoping for other consumer phones to adopt wireless charging (not that I'll be upgrading until the next Nexus at the earliest), so that I don't have to fear this whole wireless charging thing as being a fad. Somehow I can see Google dropping the ball on this one as the N10 lacks wireless charging, and who knows if the next generation tablets will have it at all.

I think there's a few people on this board who jumped on and bought that thing. Anyway, given the N4's battery drain issues due to wakelock at the moment and my Ingress playing, I figure it'd be nice to have a wireless charger at work. Save the wearing out on the ports too. Yeah... probably not worth $60 though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopetar View Post
With what money? They're at break even right now, so if they dump a lot of money into a big ad campaign they're probably going to be in the red for a quarter or two and Wall Street would flip over something like that. Never mind the tech press that would start writing gloom and doom articles to cash in on the page views it would bring.
Well HTC might be not doing so well in terms of cash and marketshare, but their phones are great phones. The press seemed to love the One series so far, and even last year's phones. We concluded this is an execution issue. So I wouldn't say they're in the same situation as Nokia and BB where their phones were completely out of touch with today's tech and just failing to catch anyone's attention.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #92
lopri
Elite Member

Wireless charging is an important hurdle to overcome in order for the smartphones to progress, IMO. I think the most likely innovation with smartphones will come with flexible glass that is also waterproof. (no, not smart watches) In order to get there, electrical traces should be physically eliminated from the phone. We're already there with data transfers, no-cord charging is now on its way. The final hurdle will be sound/speaker. I do not know how the tech companies will solve this puzzle but once sound is dealt with, a phone can be completely sealed off.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #93
HexiumVII

Maybe they should just call it Neo
Samsung 830
1TB WD Black RAID1
2TB Hitachi
EVGA 560Ti448@925
Lian Li V2000B
Soyo 24" LCD + 22" Samsung
HexiumVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #94
Dari
Lifer

Looks like HTC was "inspired" by Sony and Blackberry...

Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #95
Aganazer

Quote:
Wireless charging is an important hurdle to overcome in order for the smartphones to progress, IMO. I think the most likely innovation with smartphones will come with flexible glass that is also waterproof. (no, not smart watches) In order to get there, electrical traces should be physically eliminated from the phone. We're already there with data transfers, no-cord charging is now on its way. The final hurdle will be sound/speaker. I do not know how the tech companies will solve this puzzle but once sound is dealt with, a phone can be completely sealed off.
Kinda sad that they haven't caught up to electric toothbrushes which have both wireless charging and are waterproof as a standard feature. =P
Aganazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #96
Blandge

Is there any way I can get this phone on Verizon, even if I have to pay full price?
Blandge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #97
ImDonly1
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandge View Post
Is there any way I can get this phone on Verizon, even if I have to pay full price?
No, they are not offering it. They have the Droid DNA instead.
At least that's what the current info suggests.
ImDonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #98
dlock13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDonly1 View Post
No, they are not offering it. They have the Droid DNA instead.
At least that's what the current info suggests.
I have a feeling that red HTC One picture "slip" was secretly the Verizon One, but VZW wants to wait and let people know that they have an "exclusive" One with wireless charging.

Anyone? Am I right or am I right?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #99
Mopetar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Looks like HTC was "inspired" by Sony and Blackberry...

Yes, they were inspired by a phone that launched mere weeks ago. It was an incredibly task for HTCs engineers to slavishly copy RIM's new phone and turn out a device ready for production in a matter of weeks. It also looks nothing like the Sony outside of putting a camera dead center (which loads of other phones have done before) and the stripes (again other phones have had this style) which are styled quite differently. And the only way it's at all similar to the iPhone is looking at the side trim from the front. And that's it because the rest of the front view is vastly different.

Seems more like coincidence.
Mopetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #100
exdeath
Lifer

Too much internal memory, you won't have to stream and use data, therefore Verizon not interested.

I eat 10GB month on my DNA and my phone bill is $69 month. FU VZW
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote