· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #51
AnitaPeterson
Diamond Member

Ahh! the picture says it all - thanks for posting it!

I see your pinkie has to curl under the camera, as if to support it, because it has no room on the grip - that's what I'm talking about. On the SX40, I could keep all three fingers on the grip - I can't do so on the SX50.

First-world problems, I know!

And I should stop lusting over the SX50. I haven't even finished exploring all the functions on the SX40 yet...
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #52
corkyg
Peripherals

Ha! OK, Anita. I ac tually like the pinkie under the camera - it provides support along with the protrusion that rests on the middle finger. Those two are what really give me a firm, one-handed support. With the SX40, I have to grip tightly to get the same level of support. I guess it all has a relationship to the size of one's hands.

I am giving my SX40 to my church's youth group - trying to encourage photgraphy other than with their smart phone.

VTW, an essential tool with both the SX40 and 50 is a monopod for when the lens is out all the way.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #53
Rottie
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
You are correct. Removing the cover is not easy -and then you have to have a place to put it. The exposed shoe is an improvement IMHO.

BTW - Rottie - the last photo of the two cameras was taken by my old S3! It is still great for hardware closeups. I think it is more valuable as a tool than what it could bring on a sale -I would not expect any more than fifty.
I sold my S3IS for 100 buck 2 months ago Now I am looking for a good deal for used T3i or t4i in few months.
32GB Space Grey WIFI + Cellular
Rottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #54
Blintok

just thot i would pop in and say i got the Canon SX50 last week and love it. Had one of the first Sony Alpha (a200) and a small Nikon point and shoot. Wanted something with a decent zoom.

Did some searching and reading reviews. I had narrowed it down to 3 choices all in same price range. Sony dschx200v - Nikon Coolpix P520 - Canon SX50HS.

Thot for sure i was going to get the Sony (dschx200v) but more reading and comparing features and picture quality i decided the Canon was the winner.

Have used it a few times to test the zoom and indoor shots to test how it handles low light with no flash. Love the zoom, low light came out better than i expected so i am really please with this camera.
Blintok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #55
demiro

Blintok, I tried the Sony and couldn't mesh with it somehow. Now thinking about the Canon. How is the EVF? Any chance you can post a pic or two at full zoom?

Thanks.
demiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #56
Blintok

I have tried both the lcd and viewfinder to take pix (used to EVF as that only way to take pix on sony alpha) and both work well. Decent amount of info in evf but for the most part i just mostly use the camera in auto mode so info wasted on me

here are 2 pix i took - the zoom is to the max of the optical - did not go into the software zoom. i am pretty happy with the results

zoomed
Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #57
Blintok

here is an indoor shot. no flash. just the light from the fluorescent tubes. all in auto mode

Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #58
demiro

Thanks Blintok. Those are nice shots. Seems like the Canon delivers a crisper image than the Sony I tried. May have to check one out in person.
demiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #59
Rottie
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blintok View Post
just thot i would pop in and say i got the Canon SX50 last week and love it. Had one of the first Sony Alpha (a200) and a small Nikon point and shoot. Wanted something with a decent zoom.

Did some searching and reading reviews. I had narrowed it down to 3 choices all in same price range. Sony dschx200v - Nikon Coolpix P520 - Canon SX50HS.

Thot for sure i was going to get the Sony (dschx200v) but more reading and comparing features and picture quality i decided the Canon was the winner.

Have used it a few times to test the zoom and indoor shots to test how it handles low light with no flash. Love the zoom, low light came out better than i expected so i am really please with this camera.
congrats with your new SX50 HS. Enjoy!!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #60
Blintok

thanks - the more i use the camera the more impressed i am. Really glad i got it. The zoom is really handy to capture the natural beauty and nature that is British Columbia

for instance -

Old 05-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #61
corkyg
Peripherals

Just got back from a trip to the Netherlands. The SX50 performed very well. Here is a shot today from my garage. The first is zero zoom, i.e., widest angle. Then the second is max zoom (not easy to hand hold) shooting the forthcoming blossoms on top of the saguaro cactus. I shot it in P mode, auto ISO, and kept the saguaro top centered, The zoom is huge. Both reduced to 1024x768 for Internet use.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #62
Rottie
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
Just got back from a trip to the Netherlands. The SX50 performed very well. Here is a shot today from my garage. The first is zero zoom, i.e., widest angle. Then the second is max zoom (not easy to hand hold) shooting the forthcoming blossoms on top of the saguaro cactus. I shot it in P mode, auto ISO, and kept the saguaro top centered, The zoom is huge. Both reduced to 1024x768 for Internet use.

very nice pictures.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #63
Tom
Lifer

I couldn't resist getting an SX50, maybe its my age but the idea of a camera this small and inexpensive with a 24-1200mm lens is mind-boggling.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote