Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
NetWareHead
THAT guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,064
Default

Sorry for your loss. IMO that is an acceptable reason to call in. I may not have given that exact reason if asked but rather made up some kind of health issue. Some bosses may not have the understanding about pets to see that as a valid sick excuse.
NetWareHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #27
Blieb
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 3,454
Default

Sorry for your loss. I know I took more than a few days off when Mogli was sick and passed. If there had been any push back I would have quit on the spot.
Blieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #28
Gibsons
Lifer
 
Gibsons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,178
Default

Loss of a pet like that is devastating.
__________________
Tigers are great
They're the toast of town
Life's always better
When a tiger's around!
Gibsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #29
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,958
Default

Completely appropriate. I have sent someone home for the rest of the week (paid) over the loss of a pet.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #30
lxskllr
Lifer
 
lxskllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 38,781
Default

My condolences.

It's always acceptable to call out of work, regardless of reason. Employers are as loyal to you as any other random psychopathic person is. IOW, not at all. You're a tool to be used, and discarded when they determine you aren't valuable enough, which could be as trivial as "shareholders want more money this quarter". Never feel bad about taking off of work.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #31
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
My condolences.

It's always acceptable to call out of work, regardless of reason. Employers are as loyal to you as any other random psychopathic person is. IOW, not at all. You're a tool to be used, and discarded when they determine you aren't valuable enough, which could be as trivial as "shareholders want more money this quarter". Never feel bad about taking off of work.

I disagree with this, and a lot of people with your mindset are terrible workers.. You reap what you sow...


Calling out to prolong vacations, calling out once a month due to being hungover, calling out weekly for kid-related crap is all unacceptable.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
Ashenor
Golden Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,227
Default

Sorry about that, for sure calling in sick is ok for something like that. Hell at my work people fake call in everyday since we get so much vacation time.
Ashenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #33
CraigRT
Lifer
 
CraigRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 31,443
Default

Hell no... Most people would do the same.
__________________
My Cannondale
My Specialized
CraigRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #34
TheAdvocate
Platinum Member
 
TheAdvocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,396
Default

This is why most companies have done away with "sick days" and "vacation days" and just call it all PTO. Who cares what the reason is?
__________________
Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz (Corsair H100) | Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z | 2x4GB GSkill Ripjaws X 1600 | Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | Samsung M830 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB | Corsair CX600M | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2007WFP 20.1" (S-IPS 6ms) | Logitech Z-4 | Logitech G11 | Logitech G5 | Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Heatware
TheAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #35
Fritzo
Lifer
 
Fritzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 37,065
Default

It's called a personal day, and yes, it's OK.
__________________
Also, from now on, I shall refer to you as "Peaches."
Fritzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #36
Wingznut
Elite Member
 
Wingznut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 16,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post
I disagree with this, and a lot of people with your mindset are terrible workers.. You reap what you sow...

Calling out to prolong vacations, calling out once a month due to being hungover, calling out weekly for kid-related crap is all unacceptable.
So glad my employer provides "personal absence" days instead of sick. When I call in, I don't need to provide a reason. People on my team have called in for all of the above reasons you listed, and we support each other no matter the reason. None of us are terrible workers, we all have excellent work ethics. (We wouldn't be working here, if that weren't the case.)

OP, feel free to take the day off without guilt.
Wingznut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #37
Capt Caveman
Lifer
 
Capt Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourn View Post
Yes and no. If you're the type of person to rarely call in sick sure go for it. If you're the type of person who always calls in sick for other petty things (and yes I do think it's petty); then no your an ass and should be shit canned.

Then again if you're the latter it doesn't really matter because your a shit bag anyways. Though since you felt the need to come here I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Thanks for coming in to troll, shit bag.
__________________
Adopt a Homeless Pet
Capt Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #38
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingznut View Post
So glad my employer provides "personal absence" days instead of sick. When I call in, I don't need to provide a reason. People on my team have called in for all of the above reasons you listed, and we support each other no matter the reason. None of us are terrible workers, we all have excellent work ethics. (We wouldn't be working here, if that weren't the case.)

OP, feel free to take the day off without guilt.

That type of environment only works if you have great employees. ISXXLI or whatever is an example of a terrible employee, who will ruin the 'personal absence' day setups.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #39
lxskllr
Lifer
 
lxskllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 38,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post
That type of environment only works if you have great employees. ISXXLI or whatever is an example of a terrible employee, who will ruin the 'personal absence' day setups.
Yea, cause if you don't suck corporate dick, you're a "terrible employee" :^S

What have you done for me? Why do you deserve my loyalty, where I put YOUR desires ahead of mine?
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #40
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Yea, cause if you don't suck corporate dick, you're a "terrible employee" :^S

What have you done for me? Why do you deserve my loyalty, where I put YOUR desires ahead of mine?

I pay 50% of your health insurance, I hired you over the next guy, I pay your salary, I take all of the risk of running a business.

Loyalty goes both ways. Coming in to work and doing what you're paid to do is not sucking corporate dick. Doing a job you are paid to do is not 'putting desires' ahead of your employer.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #41
lxskllr
Lifer
 
lxskllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 38,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post
I pay 50% of your health insurance, I hired you over the next guy, I pay your salary, I take all of the risk of running a business.

Loyalty goes both ways. Coming in to work and doing what you're paid to do is not sucking corporate dick. Doing a job you are paid to do is not 'putting desires' ahead of your employer.
Bullshit. I'm paid salary X to perform task Y. It's a simple exchange. Salary X consists of

X0 cash
X1 insurance
X2 various forms of leave
X3-? various incentives

Every single one of those is mine in exchange for my time and labor, and none of them are "given" to me. When I give McDonalds $1 for a cheeseburger they owe me nothing but a cheeseburger. Using your definition, they should give me fries too because I'm so fuckin' awesome for gracing their establishment with my presence.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #42
blackdogdeek
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: terra firma
Posts: 12,912
Default

So sorry for your loss, OP.

Like others have already said, it's fine to call in sick. You wouldn't be able to be productive anyway so any sensible boss should recognize that it wouldn't make sense for you to be in the office.
__________________
12-0-0 | girls | my free iOS game
blackdogdeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #43
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Bullshit. I'm paid salary X to perform task Y. It's a simple exchange. Salary X consists of

X0 cash
X1 insurance
X2 various forms of leave
X3-? various incentives

Every single one of those is mine in exchange for my time and labor, and none of them are "given" to me. When I give McDonalds $1 for a cheeseburger they owe me nothing but a cheeseburger. Using your definition, they should give me fries too because I'm so fuckin' awesome for gracing their establishment with my presence.

WTF are you talking about... The issue you're bitching over is that you should be able to call out of work sick, for any made-up reason, because you don't suck corporate dick.


You're right.. You are paid X, to perform task Y, which for most employers means getting your lazy ass to work.


People with your mentality should just go into business for yourself, so you don't have to come in to work every day and be expected to do your damn job.

Oh, wait, people with this attitude tend to be incompetent lazy good for nothings, who only do the bare minimum in life just to scrape by and are incapable of actually putting in an honest days' work.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #44
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,835
Default

Sorry for your loss.

I think it is fine to call into work, I know losing my dog was the worst thing that has ever happened to me and there is no way I could have worked the day after it happened. If your boss is the type to give you crap over it you could always say your best friend died, it's true and no one would pry to much after hearing that.
__________________

Puddle Jumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #45
lxskllr
Lifer
 
lxskllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 38,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post
WTF are you talking about... The issue you're bitching over is that you should be able to call out of work sick, for any made-up reason, because you don't suck corporate dick.


You're right.. You are paid X, to perform task Y, which for most employers means getting your lazy ass to work.


People with your mentality should just go into business for yourself, so you don't have to come in to work every day and be expected to do your damn job.

Oh, wait, people with this attitude tend to be incompetent lazy good for nothings, who only do the bare minimum in life just to scrape by and are incapable of actually putting in an honest days' work.
I see reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. You must be management :^D

I don't know how I could put it any more simply. I suppose I could draw pictures, but art isn't my forté. Maybe someone else will come along to help you out.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #46
bigrash
Lifer
 
bigrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 17,458
Default

I'm not even a dog person, and I'd say there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #47
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
I see reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. You must be management :^D

I don't know how I could put it any more simply. I suppose I could draw pictures, but art isn't my forté. Maybe someone else will come along to help you out.

Ugh.

The issue was about people calling in sick when they aren't sick. You replied and said it's ok to call out sick at any time, for any reason.

You then went on some illogical tirade about how you're paid x to do y, and shouldn't have to go above and beyond.

My point is that coming in to work and doing your job is part of your "task Y". Coming in to work is not going "above and beyond" as you claim. You are screwing over your fellow coworkers as well as your employer.



Here's a scenario that you can obviously relate to... You are paid to make cheeseburgers (task Y). You decide to call in sick 2 days every week, thus are not doing task Y. The other 3 mcdonalds workers have to work twice as hard to cover for your lazy ass. You get fired, then come on AT to bitch about not sucking corporate dick and how the goverment and corporations are just selfish greedy entities out to take your freedoms.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #48
DAGTA
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,024
Default

Nothing wrong with calling off, and I don't see any need to lie about it. That's plenty strong enough reason to want a day off work.

Sorry for your loss.
DAGTA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #49
lxskllr
Lifer
 
lxskllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 38,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post
Here's a scenario that you can obviously relate to... You are paid to make cheeseburgers (task Y). You decide to call in sick 2 days every week, thus are not doing task Y.
If 2 days off per week are part of my compensation package, then I have every right to take them every single week, and if I didn't, I might not be the dumbest fucker in the world, but I'd be pretty close.

Leave isn't "given" to anyone. Nothing is given. Take away the leave, and I get more cash. Add insurance, and I get less cash. See how that works? Going above and beyond, would be the company telling me to stay home on them. I get paid, and my leave holds the current tally. That would be doing something for me, and it would make me inclined to do something for them. That's loyalty. When you do something that isn't specifically contracted.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #50
brainhulk
Diamond Member
 
brainhulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post
Ugh.

The issue was about people calling in sick when they aren't sick. You replied and said it's ok to call out sick at any time, for any reason.

You then went on some illogical tirade about how you're paid x to do y, and shouldn't have to go above and beyond.

My point is that coming in to work and doing your job is part of your "task Y". Coming in to work is not going "above and beyond" as you claim. You are screwing over your fellow coworkers as well as your employer.



Here's a scenario that you can obviously relate to... You are paid to make cheeseburgers (task Y). You decide to call in sick 2 days every week, thus are not doing task Y. The other 3 mcdonalds workers have to work twice as hard to cover for your lazy ass. You get fired, then come on AT to bitch about not sucking corporate dick and how the goverment and corporations are just selfish greedy entities out to take your freedoms.
i think the mentality is employers can and will fire/lay you off for any reason they please, despite how long you have stayed loyal to whatever company.

Therefore said employee shall call in sick as they please

carry on chaps!
brainhulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.