· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
NetWareHead
THAT guy

Sorry for your loss. IMO that is an acceptable reason to call in. I may not have given that exact reason if asked but rather made up some kind of health issue. Some bosses may not have the understanding about pets to see that as a valid sick excuse.
NetWareHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #27
Blieb
Diamond Member

Sorry for your loss. I know I took more than a few days off when Mogli was sick and passed. If there had been any push back I would have quit on the spot.
Blieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #28
Gibsons
Lifer

Loss of a pet like that is devastating.
When a tiger's around!
Gibsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #29
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Completely appropriate. I have sent someone home for the rest of the week (paid) over the loss of a pet.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #30
lxskllr
Lifer

My condolences.

It's always acceptable to call out of work, regardless of reason. Employers are as loyal to you as any other random psychopathic person is. IOW, not at all. You're a tool to be used, and discarded when they determine you aren't valuable enough, which could be as trivial as "shareholders want more money this quarter". Never feel bad about taking off of work.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #31
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
My condolences.

It's always acceptable to call out of work, regardless of reason. Employers are as loyal to you as any other random psychopathic person is. IOW, not at all. You're a tool to be used, and discarded when they determine you aren't valuable enough, which could be as trivial as "shareholders want more money this quarter". Never feel bad about taking off of work.

I disagree with this, and a lot of people with your mindset are terrible workers.. You reap what you sow...

Calling out to prolong vacations, calling out once a month due to being hungover, calling out weekly for kid-related crap is all unacceptable.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
Ashenor
Golden Member

Sorry about that, for sure calling in sick is ok for something like that. Hell at my work people fake call in everyday since we get so much vacation time.
Ashenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #33
CraigRT
Lifer

Hell no... Most people would do the same.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #34
TheAdvocate
Platinum Member

This is why most companies have done away with "sick days" and "vacation days" and just call it all PTO. Who cares what the reason is?
Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz (Corsair H100) | Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z | 2x4GB GSkill Ripjaws X 1600 | Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | Samsung M830 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB | Corsair CX600M | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2007WFP 20.1" (S-IPS 6ms) | Logitech Z-4 | Logitech G11 | Logitech G5 | Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Heatware
TheAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #35
Fritzo
Lifer

It's called a personal day, and yes, it's OK.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #36
Wingznut
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatiallyAware View Post
I disagree with this, and a lot of people with your mindset are terrible workers.. You reap what you sow...

Calling out to prolong vacations, calling out once a month due to being hungover, calling out weekly for kid-related crap is all unacceptable.
So glad my employer provides "personal absence" days instead of sick. When I call in, I don't need to provide a reason. People on my team have called in for all of the above reasons you listed, and we support each other no matter the reason. None of us are terrible workers, we all have excellent work ethics. (We wouldn't be working here, if that weren't the case.)

OP, feel free to take the day off without guilt.
Wingznut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #37
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourn View Post
Yes and no. If you're the type of person to rarely call in sick sure go for it. If you're the type of person who always calls in sick for other petty things (and yes I do think it's petty); then no your an ass and should be shit canned.

Then again if you're the latter it doesn't really matter because your a shit bag anyways. Though since you felt the need to come here I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Thanks for coming in to troll, shit bag.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #38
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingznut View Post
So glad my employer provides "personal absence" days instead of sick. When I call in, I don't need to provide a reason. People on my team have called in for all of the above reasons you listed, and we support each other no matter the reason. None of us are terrible workers, we all have excellent work ethics. (We wouldn't be working here, if that weren't the case.)

OP, feel free to take the day off without guilt.

That type of environment only works if you have great employees. ISXXLI or whatever is an example of a terrible employee, who will ruin the 'personal absence' day setups.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #39
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
That type of environment only works if you have great employees. ISXXLI or whatever is an example of a terrible employee, who will ruin the 'personal absence' day setups.
Yea, cause if you don't suck corporate dick, you're a "terrible employee" :^S

What have you done for me? Why do you deserve my loyalty, where I put YOUR desires ahead of mine?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #40
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:
Yea, cause if you don't suck corporate dick, you're a "terrible employee" :^S

What have you done for me? Why do you deserve my loyalty, where I put YOUR desires ahead of mine?

I pay 50% of your health insurance, I hired you over the next guy, I pay your salary, I take all of the risk of running a business.

Loyalty goes both ways. Coming in to work and doing what you're paid to do is not sucking corporate dick. Doing a job you are paid to do is not 'putting desires' ahead of your employer.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #41
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
I pay 50% of your health insurance, I hired you over the next guy, I pay your salary, I take all of the risk of running a business.

Loyalty goes both ways. Coming in to work and doing what you're paid to do is not sucking corporate dick. Doing a job you are paid to do is not 'putting desires' ahead of your employer.
Bullshit. I'm paid salary X to perform task Y. It's a simple exchange. Salary X consists of

X0 cash
X1 insurance
X2 various forms of leave
X3-? various incentives

Every single one of those is mine in exchange for my time and labor, and none of them are "given" to me. When I give McDonalds $1 for a cheeseburger they owe me nothing but a cheeseburger. Using your definition, they should give me fries too because I'm so fuckin' awesome for gracing their establishment with my presence.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #42
blackdogdeek
Lifer

So sorry for your loss, OP.

Like others have already said, it's fine to call in sick. You wouldn't be able to be productive anyway so any sensible boss should recognize that it wouldn't make sense for you to be in the office.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #43
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:
Bullshit. I'm paid salary X to perform task Y. It's a simple exchange. Salary X consists of

X0 cash
X1 insurance
X2 various forms of leave
X3-? various incentives

Every single one of those is mine in exchange for my time and labor, and none of them are "given" to me. When I give McDonalds $1 for a cheeseburger they owe me nothing but a cheeseburger. Using your definition, they should give me fries too because I'm so fuckin' awesome for gracing their establishment with my presence.

WTF are you talking about... The issue you're bitching over is that you should be able to call out of work sick, for any made-up reason, because you don't suck corporate dick.

You're right.. You are paid X, to perform task Y, which for most employers means getting your lazy ass to work.

People with your mentality should just go into business for yourself, so you don't have to come in to work every day and be expected to do your damn job.

Oh, wait, people with this attitude tend to be incompetent lazy good for nothings, who only do the bare minimum in life just to scrape by and are incapable of actually putting in an honest days' work.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #44
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Sorry for your loss.

I think it is fine to call into work, I know losing my dog was the worst thing that has ever happened to me and there is no way I could have worked the day after it happened. If your boss is the type to give you crap over it you could always say your best friend died, it's true and no one would pry to much after hearing that.

Puddle Jumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #45
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
WTF are you talking about... The issue you're bitching over is that you should be able to call out of work sick, for any made-up reason, because you don't suck corporate dick.

You're right.. You are paid X, to perform task Y, which for most employers means getting your lazy ass to work.

People with your mentality should just go into business for yourself, so you don't have to come in to work every day and be expected to do your damn job.

Oh, wait, people with this attitude tend to be incompetent lazy good for nothings, who only do the bare minimum in life just to scrape by and are incapable of actually putting in an honest days' work.
I see reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. You must be management :^D

I don't know how I could put it any more simply. I suppose I could draw pictures, but art isn't my forté. Maybe someone else will come along to help you out.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #46
bigrash
Lifer

I'm not even a dog person, and I'd say there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #47
SpatiallyAware
Lifer

Quote:
I see reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. You must be management :^D

I don't know how I could put it any more simply. I suppose I could draw pictures, but art isn't my forté. Maybe someone else will come along to help you out.

Ugh.

The issue was about people calling in sick when they aren't sick. You replied and said it's ok to call out sick at any time, for any reason.

You then went on some illogical tirade about how you're paid x to do y, and shouldn't have to go above and beyond.

My point is that coming in to work and doing your job is part of your "task Y". Coming in to work is not going "above and beyond" as you claim. You are screwing over your fellow coworkers as well as your employer.

Here's a scenario that you can obviously relate to... You are paid to make cheeseburgers (task Y). You decide to call in sick 2 days every week, thus are not doing task Y. The other 3 mcdonalds workers have to work twice as hard to cover for your lazy ass. You get fired, then come on AT to bitch about not sucking corporate dick and how the goverment and corporations are just selfish greedy entities out to take your freedoms.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #48
DAGTA
Diamond Member

Nothing wrong with calling off, and I don't see any need to lie about it. That's plenty strong enough reason to want a day off work.

Sorry for your loss.
DAGTA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #49
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Here's a scenario that you can obviously relate to... You are paid to make cheeseburgers (task Y). You decide to call in sick 2 days every week, thus are not doing task Y.
If 2 days off per week are part of my compensation package, then I have every right to take them every single week, and if I didn't, I might not be the dumbest fucker in the world, but I'd be pretty close.

Leave isn't "given" to anyone. Nothing is given. Take away the leave, and I get more cash. Add insurance, and I get less cash. See how that works? Going above and beyond, would be the company telling me to stay home on them. I get paid, and my leave holds the current tally. That would be doing something for me, and it would make me inclined to do something for them. That's loyalty. When you do something that isn't specifically contracted.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #50
brainhulk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ugh.

The issue was about people calling in sick when they aren't sick. You replied and said it's ok to call out sick at any time, for any reason.

You then went on some illogical tirade about how you're paid x to do y, and shouldn't have to go above and beyond.

My point is that coming in to work and doing your job is part of your "task Y". Coming in to work is not going "above and beyond" as you claim. You are screwing over your fellow coworkers as well as your employer.

Here's a scenario that you can obviously relate to... You are paid to make cheeseburgers (task Y). You decide to call in sick 2 days every week, thus are not doing task Y. The other 3 mcdonalds workers have to work twice as hard to cover for your lazy ass. You get fired, then come on AT to bitch about not sucking corporate dick and how the goverment and corporations are just selfish greedy entities out to take your freedoms.
i think the mentality is employers can and will fire/lay you off for any reason they please, despite how long you have stayed loyal to whatever company.

Therefore said employee shall call in sick as they please

carry on chaps!
brainhulk is online now   Reply With Quote